As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 32- The Grey Maw

1505153555664

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 5
    Sleep wrote: »
    OOC: As a note the flaming sphere is still spinning in one of the 4 spaces CC-88 left. It'll go 10 rounds so long as I concentrate. Bonus action for me to move it 30 feet (it can jump a ten foot gap in the process), anyone that ends their turn within 5 feet of it has to make the save and if I ram it into them they have to make the save.

    MAP UPDATE (New Page)
    u7owk3jn0pe4.jpg

    dkieyk7bntuy.jpg

    mrpaku on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Michael still running from his galley makes his way to the railing overlooking the dutchman, he sinks the pipette wand into his large hip container and sends a fire bolt sailing towards CC-88. In the same motion Michael gestures towards his spinning ball of fire and moves it to the base of the dutchman's foremast (putting it within 5 feet of ws and cc88 but not within 5 of oak). He then continues to climb the decks of the curse putting as much space between himself and the invaders that have landed on the main deck as he can.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 to see if I hit this horrible abomination
    Geth roll 2d10+3 to see how much it burns

    to see if I hit this horrible abomination:
    1d20+7 8 [1d20=1]
    to see how much it burns:
    2d10+3 10 [2d10=3, 4]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wakeman cackled at him, missed two swings, and shot him with his pistol. Oak was infuriated that he had been shot, the pain hardly even registering as he steps back forward to engage the assassin again. His axe swings down twice, looking to go ahead and just take that pistol away from this undead fool.

    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Axe Swing at Wakeman
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Axe Dmg

    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Axe Swing at Wakeman (2nd)
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Axe Dmg (2nd)

    Axe Swing at Wakeman:
    1d20+8 23 [1d20=15]
    Axe Dmg:
    1d12+7 9 [1d12=2]
    Axe Swing at Wakeman (2nd):
    1d20+8 20 [1d20=12]
    Axe Dmg (2nd):
    1d12+7 14 [1d12=7]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    That's done it! Beaming, Jack watches as... the zombie somehow keeps itself together, as if held by the very stitches of its rotting clothes. He's too busy being surprised to react to the sudden flame to the face and finds himself warmer than really desired.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Dexterity Saving Throw

    "Ah, you son of a..." With a throaty growl he stab-stab-stabs at the undead thing before him, "Stay DOWN! Oh shi..." He barely dodges the huge metal ball that comes swinging past his head. Right. Next target then. He moves besides CC-88, bouncing on his feet. Bring it!

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at Dr. Bones
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at Dr. Bones
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage

    Dexterity Saving Throw:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Saber Strike at Dr. Bones:
    1d20+7 18 [1d20=11]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 9 [1d8=4]
    Saber Strike at Dr. Bones:
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 7 [1d8=2]

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 5
    The Giant Undead continues to bat the motes of fire off himself before they can fully catch. The creature glares far up as Michael climbs the stairs towards the Stern of the Curse. Growling, the creature turns away from the departing cook, not noticing as the crackling sphere of fire slowly drifts behind him, and comes to rest upon the mast at his back…

    Michael arrives up on the Quarter Deck, where Derbin the Pilot and Refi the Sea Artist steer and guard respectively. Refi looks older than you remember ever seeing her. Derbin, one of the most even-keeled people you’ve ever met, looks mad, *furious* even.

    Refi smiles at Michael, an unnatural look upon her face. “You doing alright then, Michael?” Her concern is genuine: all the more disconcerting, coming from the famed “Ice Queen of the Whispered Curse”. Derbin’s hands grip the Wheel in a white-knuckle death grip. “The Galley,” he keeps muttering over and over. “Why’d it have to be the *Galley*?”

    Overhead in the Crow’s Nest, Ril the Aaracokra looks for an opening to take a shot with his Long Bow, but struggles in the pouring rain. From nearby and above, Michael senses the faint purple hum emanating from the door of the Navigation Room, where the traitors currently hide as the Undead do their dirty work…
    xcc06ty4or9h.jpg


    Wakeman Shayde is used to overwhelming his foes through speed and finesse. His tricks seem to fall flat on Oak. As the arrogant undead *spins* away, having discharged his pistol, Oak retaliates with the shimmering Great Axe. He catches the foul creature in his gun shoulder, once…and *AGAIN* (23 damage). The smirk turns into a pained grimace, and as Oak pulls the Axe away for the second time, Wakeman’s shoulder starts to separate from his torso, hanging on by insidious, thin threads. The Undead looks less assured now. Wakeman Shayde bites through his top lip, eyes narrowing in grim determination


    As Jack finishes the Doctor off, his mask clatters to the Deck, and his bones and clothing *BURST* apart at the seams together. The skull falls away and drops to the planks below, malevolent blue light flashing only once more, briefly, before striking the boards and *EXPLODING* into a thousand fragments!

    CC-88 *BELLOWS* at his companions final demise, and turns to greet Jack with an evil, inviting grin, ichor dripping from the sides of his gaping mouth

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes summons his companions back to him to attack the drowned blade, silently chiding himself for forgetting about the enemy and leaving himself vulnerable.

    OOC: Helping Hex, moving the tentacle back over for a lightning slap, and casting Shocking Grasp at Drowned Blade 3. If Shocking Grasp hits and/or DB3 goes down, I'll move over to the mast so that I'm not right by the stairs, since he'll either be dead or can't take reactions. Otherwise I'll stay put.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+8 for Shocking Grasp vs DB3
    Geth, roll 2d8 for Lightning Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Grasp of the Deep vs DB3
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

    Shocking Grasp vs DB3:
    2d20k1+8 23 [2d20k1=[15], 5]
    Lightning Damage:
    2d8 6 [2d8=4, 2]
    Grasp of the Deep vs DB3:
    1d20+8 16 [1d20=8]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 6
    A smoky black tentacle rises from the deck, grabbing the Undead around his neck. Urixes's eyes *spark*, and he channels the fell power of Ghaunadaur through his fingertips. Hex, *cawing loudly* as he flies through the rain, pushes between Urixes and the Drowned Blade, providing an opening for Urixes to press his hand into the creature’s chest. A loud static crackle can be heard over the rain, and Urixes sends a devastating *CHARGE* throughout the Undead’s body(10 damage), leaving it quaking and convulsing as Urixes makes his way to the Fore Mast. The Warlock takes cover…
    ---

    The Drowned Blade looks nearly defeated, but slowly drags itself back to his feet. With a banshee-like *WAIL*, the creature pursues Urixes across the Forecastle Deck, seeking vengeance…to make Urixes *cold*, like him…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 R.Longsword

    Geth roll 1d8+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 R.Longsword

    Geth roll 1d8+3 slashing

    Hilda the Hollow *cackles madly* from the Main Deck. As the Drowned Blade moves in on Urixes’s flank, the crazed maiden rushes over to corner the Warlock from the other side. “Gottim now, boys!” the horrible thing *spits* through broken teeth…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Handaxe

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Handaxe

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Wakeman Shayde sees the incoming Flameball. Feeling the noose begin tighten, Wakeman circles away from the Fore Mast, heads down the stairs and places his back towards CC-88. Wakeman’s kept his sword out, to deflect and fend off Oak’s blows. Now he takes the offense: firing again with the pistol at Oak, and slashing up twice with his bloody Scimitar…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Scimitar

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Scimitar

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Pistola

    Geth roll 1d10 piercing

    CC-88 is no longer trying to tag both of the pirates; he’s decided he only has eyes (eye?) for Jack now! Pressing his insidious size inwards on the young man, CC-88 *ROARS* in Jack’s face. The werewolf sees something in the Giant’s off hand: the chain he is wielding ends in a curved hook. Jack has just enough time to realize what that means, before the abomination *moves in* with the hook, and the ball and chain…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Hook (Disarm-Red Skull Saber)

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    NOTE: CC-88 is attempting to Disarm Jack. On a success, Jack will be forced to make a Strength saving throw (DC 13) or the Red Skull Saber will drop at his feet.

    The Giant Undead is so focused on crushing Jack, he barely notices the ball of flame spinning within mere feet of his back…
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere

    Captain Carver has disappeared into the Galley. For a scant few seconds, you hear nothing. Then, the Captain emerges from the door, something like *triumph* on his blank face. Behind him, you can sees red and orange lights begin to well up…you smell a whiff of gunpowder, and smoke…
    vxdtksux87e0.jpg

    6bvn5p1u5p8j.jpg

    ke9vsh0i9mh3.jpg

    R.Longsword:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    slashing:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]
    R.Longsword:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    slashing:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]
    Handaxe:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]
    Handaxe:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]
    Scimitar:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]
    Scimitar:
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 9 [1d6=6]
    Pistola:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]
    piercing:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]
    Hook (Disarm-Red Skull Saber):
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    Ball&Chain:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]
    Ball&Chain:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]
    Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO/OFFICER'S QUARTERS

    Later, at the back corners of the room, some of the frozen ice overhead slowly begins to drip...

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    CC88 will take half damage

    Geth roll 2d6 to tell us out how hot the sphere burns

    to tell us out how hot the sphere burns:
    2d6 6 [2d6=5, 1]

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 6
    Oak barely grunts as the saber slices him. He does dodge the pistol shot, though. He manages to see Jack down who he had been facing, and Oak yells out "Good hit there, lad!"

    The bumbling mass of an undead beast shambles towards Jack, however, and it gives Oak enough of a distraction for the pistoler he was facing to get angry for a new reason. He remembered his crew mates were in this battle as well, and likely were taking their own hits.

    The thought of this ignited a different rage for him, the blue sparks of his axe congregating in the blade, his hands wringing the handle tightly.

    Oak slides over, keeping in range of Wakeman, but positioning himself between the two undead. He hefts the axe high, and swings it down hard, hitting the deck, and releasing the built up energy inside of it into a wave of power surrounding him.

    OOC: moving a 5 foot step right to be in 15 feet of both undead (but not Jack, I think). Using axe to Thunderwave. Both undead need to do a CON save.

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    ooc
    Ive lost track of ws is he on the stairs next to cc88 or is he still next to my rolling ball of fire?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    ooc
    Ive lost track of ws is he on the stairs next to cc88 or is he still next to my rolling ball of fire?
    Updated for Wakeman moving out of range of the spell, as well as Captain Carver's position on the Main Deck of the Curse

    uvtrj5io0ppl.jpg

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 7
    Michael takes in the frantic and unsettling demeanor of his fellow crew, "my sweetest Refi, Derbin here has the right of it! Why did it have to be the galley!? Back to our posts now." And with that Michael raises his wand and drags the flaming sphere into the back of CC-88 so it will consume his back and be adjacent to WS. He then shifts his focus to the forecastle and sends a firebolt to the remaing drowned blade

    Geth roll 1d20+7 to torch this drowned blade
    Geth roll 2d10+3 see how much it burns.

    to torch this drowned blade:
    1d20+7 15 [1d20=8]
    see how much it burns.:
    2d10+3 15 [2d10=4, 8]

    Sleep on
    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    ooc
    Ive lost track of ws is he on the stairs next to cc88 or is he still next to my rolling ball of fire?
    Updated for Wakeman moving out of range of the spell, as well as Captain Carver's position on the Main Deck of the Curse

    uvtrj5io0ppl.jpg

    Based on this, Oak moves left instead of right to be in the middle of the two

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 7
    ooc:If im reading the map correctly oak Should be able to get both from his original position without getting next to the flaming sphere (it's not friendly to allies).

    Sleep on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I looked at the map too hastily. It's still right, but easier to position now

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    OOC:Awesome just wanna make sure no one loses track on my little inferno. I'm digging the weird little controller aspects on this artificer build.

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    chip, chip, chip the sound of the undead attempting to chip through the ice is maddening yet also reassuring, as every chip means they haven't managed to breach the wall.

    "All right everyone, lets huddle up a bit. I know it's a bit chilly at the moment, but don't fret, it'll be warming up something quick soon enough. Had to spend a week in an igloo once in the northern mountains when our caravan was hit by an avalanche. Never bring a bard that specializes in percussion to the mountains. Down side, I have to keep a bit of focus here, or the entire thing could disappear in a moment."

    Lucky for Arno, they never put too much thought into what they are saying, so they can continue to run their mouth as much as they wish.

    Pulling out the talking stone, Arno passes a quick message to Jack "Refi says traitors losing forcefield, you've got this. Will meet at navigation when ghosts gone."

    Arno then turns to Rax the Raconteur. "Not to be too much of an optimist, but I think we're going to make it to the grey maw. But you seemed to think there is more to Conrad than meets the eye. I've seen a bit swing in personality on the Doc as well, seems like a fully different person than just 24 hours ago. We're not going anywhere, so please, spin us a tale. A story of men and women who have been reborn in the expanse, for good or for ill. Changing such that none can recognize their motivations any longer."

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Avoid Getting Disarmed

    Avoid Getting Disarmed:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack spots Oak on the other side of the monstrocity and beams happily at the praise, "Aw, thanks mate! Whoah now...!" His saber gets wrapped up in the thing's chain and he just barely succeeds in tilting the handle sideways to avoid the hook pulling it clean out of his grip. These undead are smarter than stories give them credit!

    "Just got word from Arno, we should meet them at navigation to handle the traitors when we're done dealing with these..." Pause, glance, "...guys?" Hard to tell. Still, shouldn't dawdle. "You want the saber, you can have the blade!" Mask down he lunges at the construct, trying to overwhelm it with his strikes.

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at CC-88
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at CC-88
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage

    ((OOC: If either of those hits he's going to expend a superiority die to do a Menacing Attack, WIS saving throw vs 15 or become Frightenend until EoNT ))

    Geth, roll 1d8 for Superiority Damage

    Saber Strike at CC-88:
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 11 [1d8=6]
    Saber Strike at CC-88:
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 8 [1d8=3]
    Superiority Damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    "Not good," Urixes grunts through clenched teeth. With a moment of focus he draws out some of the power stored in his rod, then disappears in a flash of light and a puff of purple smoke.

    OOC: Using my action to activate Rod of the Pactkeeper's ability to restore a spell slot, then immediately using the spell slot to cast Misty Step as a bonus action, teleporting up the mast and into a crow's nest/platform/whatever to get out of melee range (if there is one, if not I'll have to come up with another plan).

    Denada on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    OFFICER’S QUARTERS- ICED IN WITH ARNO

    Rax the Reliable, put suddenly on the spot, is quick to adapt. He catches eyes with Arno. The Rak’ta nods respectfully over to his fellow storyteller, but there’s a glint in his eye as well. I see what yer asking…I’ll follow along, and *do you one better* it seems to say. He grumbles for a lingering while, considering as he strokes the frills under his chin and draws in a receptive (if *completely* captive) audience. Finally, Rax cracks his clawed hands, and leans over his chair. Wordless as always, Bluurg approaches from nearby, solemnly bearing a pipe and a light. Bluurg has seen this act before, and knows the parts well. But his bearing of the pipe seems less like servitude, and more like respect somehow: strangely, the little creep has never seemed so regal as in this moment. Accepting the pipe with a grateful nod, Rax begins:

    RAX’S TALE, “THE GOLDEN GATE”
    ”What hasss happened with Conrad, a man I thought a true fellow pirate, has *sssurprised* me...but it hasss not ssshocked me. Any fool knowsss, change isss an inevitable part of life. Sssome fear it…sssome actively ssseek it out. For sssome, it may take an entire lifetime to move *one inch* from their ssstarting points. And for othersss it may happen all at once…*in an instant*.” Rax takes a puff of the pipe, and the smoke escapes between his nostrils to rise up, and sit along the iced roof.

    “Ze Twilight Expanssse containsss…vassst potential. For *violent* amounts Change…explossssive, *wrenching* Change. Not alwaysss! And not for everyone. Ssso, you may never experience sssomeone , explode into a cloud of butterflies. You may never watch a wizard ssstrip himssself naked aboard the Main Deck, walk to the Jib Boom, and turn into a *WHALE*” (Whispers from among even the sickened: “Oh bullshit!” “No man, it’s true!” “Never effin’ happened. He just doesn’t want us to think about what’s outside…)

    Maybe Rax hears some of these grumbles, maybe not. Inhaling from the pipe once more, he hands the finished bowl to Bluurg to clean and refill. With a grin at some private joke to himself, he continues, laughing: “....you may never sssee a sssimple sailor ssseduced by ssssecret ssssorceriessss. It’sss usually...much more sssubtle than *zat*. Zere were a group…eight of usss.” Rax leaves the moment to hang: the topic seems painful for him. Whispers from around Arno confirm, “The Sanguine Seeker”. Rax speaks with nostalgia, and a certain tenderness. “Za madness, or za dangers, eventually took *everyone* on zat voyage, down to za Captain. But *za eight of usss* sssomehow held together. We made it futher zan *anyone* before. We were *untouchable*, I thought…could have driven this Ssship into *hell itself*, and taken on za hordes…”

    Rax stares ahead with a bitter and brutal intensity. “We were defeated by a *room*,” he finishes, with boiling disgust.

    “One room…a sssingle defeat, in a sssea of victory! But sssat zere, knee deep in treasssure…in za dark…our dead crew to keep us company every night.* Zat* was when za Expanssse finally got usss. It changed, every sssingle one of usss, zat day...”

    Bluurg has the pipe refilled and offers it again, but Rax brushes past him, breathing heavily enough now that it looks like steam is coming out of his nostrils. “It was *sssubtle for everyone*,” he repeats, almost more to himself than the room, as though he’s trying to justify it even now. “…and za Sssorceror was *always* a ssstrange one, but we thought hisss fassscination with za gate was jussst *curiosssity*. Za man became obsssessssed…he wasss *gone* within a week, and when hisss mind went…”

    Arno, roll a Perception Check to hear the part he’s not saying (DC 13)
    This was the inciting incident for all of the *ensuing* failures for the remaining crew of the Sanguine Seeker. Whatever happened with the Sorcerer in that room *fatally* split the group; was responsible for the Seeker never returning; is why the remaining group still seem to hate each other after thirty-odd years. Also, the way he talks about the Sorceror…is it possible the man is still alive?

    “…it dragged sssome of za uzzers with. We sssat in zat room, and dreamed. And Iquim convinced usss zat zis treasssure wasss “bullssshit”, zat za TRUE treasssure lay on za uzzer sssside of za gate. And zat *he* had found a way in, with only sssome of za keysss…”

    (“The *fuck* you need true treasure for when yer standing in a pile a’ gold?”)

    Rax snarls at the interruption. “How much gold can *you* carry on yer back, sssson?” (No response). Rax snorts in irritation. “Talking zings you can’t *BUY* ssssmartasss! Youth…Life Everlasssting…Knowledge, of anything, everything…Friendsss and Family brought back, like zey had jusssst left…*POWER* like you couldn’t imagine. An uzzer chance…” Rax looks away wistfully.

    (“But how…”) comes the next question.

    “Because it was *BULLSSHIT*,” is Rax’s ready response. “It wasss *jussst* bullssshit. But it wasss enough to do za trick. It *broke* usss. Firssst in zat room, and zen each one of usss later…quick or ssslow….”

    Iquim wasss *gone* zat day. Losssst. And by za time he left, he had given hisss will for anothersss. *Completely* Hisss change was fassst, and permanent.”

    “On za long journey back, Nagara came to regret what ssshe’d done. *laughs ironically* Hardessst, baddesst, mossst ssselfish bitch I’ve ever met, and *she* decides ssshe can’t *leave*. Zat sssshe needsss to ssstay, and “take care of” zis place. And sshe *meant* it, too…Chaff is za closssest to “Civillization” za Expanssse hasss ever got. A woman you wouldn’t clossse your eyesss around if you were sssmart; now, the *sssafest* game in town…” Arno has heard mention of the female Drow Rax is speaking of: she’s known out here as the “Queen of Chaff”.

    Mitchum never regretted *ssshit* for one inssstant, mossstly becaussse he didn’t have two braincellsss to rub together…but at leasssst he wasssn’t sssome power hungry prick! *Not* until whatever ssseed got planted in zat room, to bloom later into za *sssshitty* little robber baron you sssee today. Not zat zere wasssn’t alwaysss zat potential in him, but he’sss…” Rax carefully casts a sidelong glance at Arno. “…he’sss *not* za sssame man anymore.”

    Cardan wassss an arrogant, snide *fool* of a man when we left. He became quieter…more withdrawn after. Didn’t trussst asss much, kept to himssself. Wasssn’t long after zat he disssapeared. And *zis*, from za man who alwaysss claimed he would become “Za World’sss Mossst Famousss Actor”!” Arno can tell he’s referring to Baron Reynard, and has *definitely* cracked the puzzle that Baron Reynard = Cardan Byrne some time ago

    Crolthear got usss down to za beach, but he wouldn’t get on a Ssship again…wouldn’t look *most* of ussss in za eye again. Threw down hisss sssword as he walked away. Lassst *I’D* heard,” Rax the Rascal scratches under his chin, and laughs dismissively. “…well, if you don’t believe *a wizard will turn into a whale*…”

    “And Jennie…poor Jennie.” Rax shakes his head sadly. “We’d all have been *lossst* zat day, had it not been for her. *Ssshe’s* za one who kept her ssshit together, when za chipsss were down.*Ssshe* got the worssst of it. A broken mind, jussst….” Rax doesn’t elaborate beyond that.

    Water drips from above. The chipping continues, but it is slowing. Rax seems to search for his conclusion. “Moral *issss*, assssembled fellowsss of za Crew, change can come in an *instant* out here, and your whole world will be different. It *will* happen to you. So be ready.”

    The silence sits among the crewmates for a while. From near the door, a voice suddenly pipes up. (“Who’s the eighth?”)

    “Hrrmph?” asks Rax, shaken from his personal triumph.

    (“Counted six in your story, an’ you clearly left yerself out. But who was eight?”)

    Rax’s back stiffens a little….

    Arno, do you cut in here? Do you trust Rax to keep Urixes’s “condition” a secret? Do you choose to share that information yourself? Or do you try to see if you can interrupt the pirate’s question with a *better* question, and artfully change the subject? (Charisma Check DC 16)

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Oak *channels the storm*. He can sense the energy in the air…hear it, *feel* it on his skin, and in his nostrils. Has he always had this sense, and it has lain dormant? Has the Axe awakened him to the nature of the storm? Or did he always know, and now he knows?

    The GreatAxe strikes the deck under the barbarian's feet. From beneath where Oaks stands, a *BURST* of energy ripples forth along the Deck, catching Wakeman and CC from the deck under their feet before they have a chance to react…

    Geth roll 1d20+2 Con Save (W.S.)

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Con Save (CC-88)


    Michael feels a sudden déjà vu, as though he were back in the kitchen preparing a multi-course meal. It’s the same elements, really: your ingredients, your tools, a good view of your workspace. *Set meat to simmer*.

    The flaming sphere, dancing and crackling along the Main Deck of the Dutchman, *lurches* over into the giant, suddenly lighting the awful thing as though from the inside. The abomination *SCREAMS* in pain and fury

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere

    Geth roll 2d6 fire damage

    The fire mote drifts purposefully in the rain, and comes to sit on his shoulders just as the Drowned Blade watches Urixes *vanish* into the rain and wind. The Undead bats at its back a few moments later, but it’s too late: the mote *FULLY* spreads along the dead limbs, and the creature catches fire from within! Burning like a candle on all ends, the blade dances wildly, batting blindly at the flames from within….only to finally fall off the railing, and into the ocean nearby!


    For dear young Jack, fighting monstrosities a great deal bigger than him is starting to become a bit of a *thing*. He’s gotten *good* at this. The creature can barely keep track of the wild wolf, and Jack weaves in and out, carving *meaty* hunks off of the thing with his saber. “*OWW! HURTS!” The Fell Undead bellows, finally displaying an ability to speak, however simply…
    Geth roll 1d20 Wisdom Save vs. Frightened

    RED SKULL SABER- CURRENT MOOD:
    As Jack carves fresh blood and sinew out of the abomination, the blood stains the blade, only to be *quickly* swallowed up and replaced by a familiar, dim red glow. The Red Skull speaks to Jack, and Jack alone: ”Blood! It’s stuffed with wonderful, delicious *BLOOD*! Get us more! WE NEED MORE!” The sword feels like a *livewire* in Jack’s hands. [You can ask it about its intentions, or trust the obviously sentient blade to do it’s own thing, your choice! It seems to *really* like blood!


    Not so easily cornered, Urixes *ports* across the ship, to reappear standing on top of the Crow’s Nest. Your foes stand atop the Forecastle Deck, looking around *baffled*. Hex sails nearby, cawing in a sound that resembles mocking laughter...

    Con Save (W.S.):
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]
    Con Save (CC-88):
    1d20+1 21 [1d20=20]
    Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]
    fire damage:
    2d6 11 [2d6=5, 6]
    Wisdom Save vs. Frightened:
    1d20 16 [1d20=16]

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 8


    Oak's Great Axe
    Geth roll 2d8 Lightning damage
    ...

    CC-88 burns inside of Michael’s Fire Elemental. The creature *BELLOWS* an awful guttural sound. The fire *burns*, but the pain is enough to distract the brute from Jack’s menacing assault, for a brief moment. Gathering itself, the abomination goes into action: taking two swings at Jack, and making for Jack *again* with his hook. This time he doesn’t aim for Jack’s sword to disarm, but rather, his *neck*…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain Jack)

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain (Jack)

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Hook (Jack)

    Geth roll 1d4+3 piercing

    Wakeman Shayde decides to leave this scene *completely* (NOTE: Oak, take an Attack of Opportunity.) With one last *slash* at the nearby Barbarian, the undead pirate *LEAPS* onto the Main Deck of the Whispered Curse. Siddling up next to the Captain, the zombie fires one more pistol shot at Oak, his usual mocking banter strangely silent…but the sight of his Captain seems to give Wakeman comfort…
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Scimitar (Oak)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Pistola (Oak)

    Geth roll 1d10 piercing

    Geth roll 1d4 extra damage(Carver’s Leadership)


    Hilda the Hollow has lost her original prey, and her support has gone down right next to her. Hissing, the undead changes tactics. Turning around, she makes out Oak in the rain near the Port side of the Dutchman. A hideous glimmer in her eyes, the horrible maiden begins to unlatch small axes from her belt, three in all…she closes one eye, and attempts to aim through the rain at the Barabarian across the way…
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    NOTE: Hilda is throwing with a -4 modifier for the rain in place


    Only Captain Carver remains. His head swivels around a full *360 degrees. Anyone who were to look could tell he was aware of the Navigation Room above…Michael, Refi, and Derbin…maybe even where the survivors are being kept below. The skeleton’s face expresses nothing. Moving again with that *awful* speed, the creature runs to the Starboard side of the deck and jumps over the railing. For the first time, Captain Carver withdraws his weapon for a large sheathe behind his back: a coal black, intricately made Greatsword. Wordless but imposing, the Undead Leader moves to attack Oak…
    Geth roll 1d20+6 Greatsword

    Geth roll 1d12+4 slashing damage

    Geth roll 1d20+6 Greatsword

    Geth roll 1d12+4 slashing damage

    Lightning damage:
    2d8 9 [2d8=2, 7]
    Ball&Chain (Oak):
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]
    Ball&Chain (Jack):
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]
    Hook (Jack):
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    piercing:
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]
    Scimitar:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 9 [1d6=6]
    Pistola:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]
    piercing:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]
    extra damage(Carvers Leadership):
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 12 [1d20=11]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]
    Greatsword:
    1d20+6 8 [1d20=2]
    slashing damage:
    1d12+4 5 [1d12=1]
    Greatsword:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    slashing damage:
    1d12+4 7 [1d12=3]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC:
    Hope you've all enjoyed my gradual GM evolution from "don't play *too* rough now!" to "I need to *kill* these people, and the *stupid* dice won't cooperate", because I have! :D

    MAPS:
    drfyse7nj4ux.jpg

    494jjid6gv29.jpg

    ai5itec7pq8s.jpg

    5q1wt8lozquk.jpg

    GlalAustinP0027
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 9
    Michael stirs the CC-88 flambe, sending the flaming sphere in a circle of the bow of the dutchman, slamming it back into the hulking creature, and continues to rain fire upon the enemies of the curse. Aiming for the wakeman this time. After doling out his firey wrath he ascends again toward the navigation deck.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 to see if michael can hit the wakeman

    Geth roll 2d10+3 fire damage if it hits.

    OOC: notably CC-88 should make a dex save for me ramming the sphere into it, and for ending its turn in it as well.

    to see if michael can hit the wakeman:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]
    fire damage if it hits.:
    2d10+3 10 [2d10=3, 4]

    Sleep on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack dodges a chain! Then another! He's getting the hang of this swashbuckling life! Wait, did his sword just talk??

    "Um. Hello?"

    He stares at the hilt's skull dumbly, distracted long enough for his opponent's hook to slash straight across his neck, making him sputter and sway, free hand over the wound. Right. Survive fight first, talking sword later. A flaming sphere crashes into the hulk and he spots Michael directing it like a conductor, "Thanks for the assist!"

    With that he falls upon the monster once more, starting to feel the ache from all the cuts he's taken.

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at CC-88
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike at CC-88
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Saber Damage

    Saber Strike at CC-88:
    1d20+7 17 [1d20=10]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 7 [1d8=2]
    Saber Strike at CC-88:
    1d20+7 20 [1d20=13]
    Saber Damage:
    1d8+5 8 [1d8=3]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes takes a moment to breath and observe the battle, then quickly downs a potion before doing his best to lend a hand from this new vantage point. He sends Hex and his tentacle to continue harassing Hilda, hoping it will distract her from trying to overwhelm his friends.

    OOC: Using my action to drink a Potion of Healing, then sending Hex to Help vs Hilda, and using my bonus action to attack HH with Grasp of the Deep.

    Geth, roll 2d4+2 for Potion of Healing
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+8 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

    Potion of Healing:
    2d4+2 6 [2d4=2, 2]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    2d20k1+8 27 [2d20k1=[19], 7]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for perception
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for charisma

    perception:
    1d20+7 9 [1d20=2]
    charisma:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited May 10
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for charisma with inspiration.

    Arno knows their friend likes to keep things close to the vest, and tries their best to distract the questioning crew.

    "Really, isn't a better question why we should fear this change? You tell it like a ghost story, but the Queen of Chaff is a protector who's kept more pirates out of Davey Jones's locker than any other. Maybe instead of asking who changed and how, we should be asking how can we make this change a chance to grow and become stronger. Right? Isn't that the real moral we want to focus on. Guys?"

    charisma with inspiration:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

    zekebeau on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    As he feels the lightning explode from his axe, Oak shivers involuntarily and grins maniacally. He sees Wakeman working to run away, and his axe slashes out toward the undead. He goes to take a step after the fleeing swordsman when an axe flies in front of his face, drawing his attention to Hilda, who prepares and throws two more, which Oak is able to dodge. But before he can really start to chase down his prey, the undead captain appears in front of his face. A giant sword in his hands, his blows are battered against Oak's axe, the barbarian successfully able to repel the swings.

    The thought of chasing down the fleeing swordsman leaves Oak's mind immediately, as the real challenge has now stepped in front of him. His axe raising into the air, Oak briefly thinks that Jack would likely have some quip to shout at the skeleton captain in this moment. But, as he slashes into the undead, all Oak can think to yell is "Yaaaaaaaaaarrrrr!"


    OOC:Lots of things came Oak's way, so just recapping.
    Wakeman scimitar hit (9 halved to 5), Pistola misses.
    Hilda axes miss.
    Captain greatswords both miss.


    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Axe Swing at Wakeman(Opp Attack)
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Axe Dmg

    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Axe Swing at Captain
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Axe Dmg

    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Axe Swing at Captain Again
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Axe Dmg

    Axe Swing at Wakeman(Opp Attack):
    1d20+8 18 [1d20=10]
    Axe Dmg:
    1d12+7 11 [1d12=4]
    Axe Swing at Captain:
    1d20+8 23 [1d20=15]
    Axe Dmg:
    1d12+7 19 [1d12=12]
    Axe Swing at Captain Again:
    1d20+8 9 [1d20=1]
    Axe Dmg:
    1d12+7 8 [1d12=1]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Michael casts the mote of fire down the Main Deck, towards Wakeman Shayde (AC 15). The pirate zombie quickly *BATS* the ember away with the sleeve of his jacket. Wakeman hisses up towards the Quarter Deck. He point with the tip of his sword in Michael’s direction. “Cap’TAIN!”, Wakeman croaks through split lips. “Spellcaster towards the Stern!”

    On the Main Deck of the Dutchman, the Flaming Sphere crackles in the rain, *barreling* once more into the Abomination’s back!

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere (CC-88)


    Jack delivers a *devastating* slash to CC-88’s (AC 15) belly. The creature bleeds freely, and the saber sems to almost siphon the liquid as it passes nearby. CC-88 begins to look sluggish; tired (15 slashing). The one good eye in his face keeps closing involuntarily. “GO DOWN! DOWN!” CC-88 says, less spite in his voice and more petulant annoyance.

    RED SKULL SABER: CURRENT MOOD
    The red sword drinks *greedily* from the (seeming freshly sewn) giant abomination. It seems to be in a good mood! But Jack gets the disconcerting and certain feeling that it would *just* as happily have fed on Jack or one of his friends, though. In its “awakened” state, Jack should be able to talk to his sentient sword later!


    Urixes feels restored! His gull sails gracefully across the ship, taking apparent glee in harassing Hollow Hilda (AC 13)! Irritated, Hilda takes a swipe at the seagull and misses. The distraction is enough for Urixes to snare the fell Buccaneer with a shocking tentacle, sending a *charge* through her body! (3 lightning) The pirate sways on her feet, the aftershock still partially visible in the rain around her.

    Nearby, Ril the Aaracokra stands in the Crow’s Nest, longbow trying to find a shot on the Captain without hitting Oak. Rax’s trusty sharpshooter nods respectfully over as the two notice each other.


    NOTE: Urixes can ask/encourage Ril to aim at *one* of the invading pirates next turn as a bonus action. Even *he* won’t be able to make the shot in this rain, but he *will* get close enough to provide one advantage roll against whoever is engaging the targeted enemy!


    The Barbarian carves a *deep* swathe out of Wakeman's back as he departs (11 damage)! Oak is the first to confront Captain Carver! The two face off across the railing, Oak the Barbarian’s Greataxe vs. Captain Carver’s Executioner Greatsword. Rain pours down around the pair, and you hear the distant crackle of thunder. *Bellowing* in the tradition of the great pirates before him, Oak comes in swinging! The first shot deflects off something heavy underneath the Captain’s jacket (AC 16), but the second sinks in *deep* (19 damage). The Captain’s face might show surprise, if he had one…

    Hilda the Hollow curses the wretched bird, and her ill luck on this raid. The Shocking Grasp having slowed her, she hobbles her way as best she can back down the Main Deck, making her way towards her Captain. She continues attempting to tag Oak with flying axes, her frustration showing clearly now across her milky dead eyes…
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Handaxe (thrown)

    Geth roll 1d6+3 slashing


    CC-88, body weeping from a dozen open wounds, twice attacks Jack with the ball and chain, coupled with a childish, *frightening* RAGE. 88’s single eye *BULGES*, seeking out Jack’s bright red sword as the creature once more attempts to rip the blade from his grasp…

    Free nearby, Captain Carver’s head chatters, “Break em’ up. Crush em’. Mash em’ to *paste*” The abomination stirs, and he raises his head up a little bit higher.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Ball&Chain

    Geth roll 1d8+3 piercing

    Geth roll 1d4 Leadership Boost

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Hook (Disarm Jack)

    NOTE: Captain Carver providing Leadership Dice if one of those Ball&Chain attacks hit!


    Wakeman Shayde’s attention has been drawn to Michael. Shoving the sword between what remains of his teeth, the zombie grabs the ladder and begins to ascend the Main Mast. As he climbs, he takes out the pistola in one hand, aiming it over his shoulder and up at the fire-flinging Cook…

    NOTE: Wakeman Shadye is currently climbing the Main Mast; directly 15 feet underneath Urxies at the moment.
    Geth roll 1d20-1 Pistola

    Geth roll 1d10 piercing


    Captain Carver leaps over the divide, back to the Dutchman, to engage Oak in closer quarters. The Captain puts his back to the nearby undead giant, reassuring the creature and receiving support in turn*. The Captain swings the massive Greatsword with *BRUTAL* strength for his thin frame, twice, at Oak
    Geth roll 1d20+6 Greatsword

    Geth roll 1d12+4 slashing

    Geth roll 1d20+6 Greatsword

    Geth roll 1d12+4 slashing

    Geth roll 3d6 Martial Advantage

    *NOTE: If the Captain hits, he’ll be utilizing Martial Advantage against Oak: Once per turn, the captain can deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the Captain that isn’t incapacitated.

    CURRENT MAPS-
    pda7kkpfd1em.jpg

    onzr9yxu1gi4.jpg

    semndpfz2ijn.jpg

    iufb8tcvnkbr.jpg

    Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere (CC-88):
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 5 [1d6=2]
    Handaxe (thrown):
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]
    slashing:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]
    Ball&Chain:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]
    Ball&Chain:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    piercing:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]
    Leadership Boost:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    Hook (Disarm Jack):
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    Pistola:
    1d20-1 14 [1d20=15]
    piercing:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    Greatsword:
    1d20+6 18 [1d20=12]
    slashing:
    1d12+4 5 [1d12=1]
    Greatsword:
    1d20+6 20 [1d20=14]
    slashing:
    1d12+4 15 [1d12=11]
    Martial Advantage:
    3d6 10 [3d6=5, 3, 2]

    mrpaku on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6 fire damage for CC-88 getting slammed with a ball of fire

    OOC: I'll need another save from CC-88 for ending it's turn adjacent to the sphere.

    CC-88 getting slammed with a ball of fire:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere

    NOTE: CC-88 is visually charred, broiled, and cut, to even a casual observer. The abomination has become dopey, and seems to be falling apart at the stitches and senses (The creature has 15hp currently remaining!) Make that 11hp remaining!

    Dex Save vs. Flaming Sphere:
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

    mrpaku on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6 to find out how hot it's burning
    CC-88 takes half of this

    to find out how hot it's burning:
    2d6 8 [2d6=5, 3]

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5 to maintain concentration on flaming sphere

    flaming sphere:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Michael continues stirring up the flaming sphere pulling it around behind jack and slamming it into the side of CC-88 that is adjacent to captain Carver as well. After setting that meal to cook he looks over to put his attention on this wakeman shade that's trying his darndest to find his way to a front burner and casts another mote of flame in his direction.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 to fire blast wakeman shade
    Geth roll 2d10+3 to see how hot it's burning

    to fire blast wakeman shade:
    1d20+7 21 [1d20=14]
    to see how hot it's burning:
    2d10+3 18 [2d10=10, 5]

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: I assume the leadership boost is extra damage? Which attack does it apply to, since they both landed? ))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    ((OOC: I assume the leadership boost is extra damage? Which attack does it apply to, since they both landed? ))

    OOC: Correct, extra damage; only applies to *one* of the landed hits!, "A creature can only benefit from one Leadership die at a time.".

    Additionally, no one target Wakeman Shayde quite yet: he's about to fall *flaming* from the Main Mast, and need to make his undead fortitude check (here after I finish Arno's update!)

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: And which one does it get applied to? It's relevant :) ))

Sign In or Register to comment.