As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 32- The Grey Maw

1616264666773

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Wild Bunch takes a Long Rest at the naturally occurring hot spring!

    oeohignokkgz.png

    LATER...

    At some point during the evening, the group hears a mournful noise coming from somewhere further up the cave. It's the sound of a tortured soul: wracking, *hopeless* crying.

    Olaf sits up from his bedroll, staring up the tunnel, trying to determine the location of the sound. Seeing his companion shift, Balog *grunts*, and pulls his bedroll up further over his head.

    "Not our business," the surly dwarf mutters to his companion. "Just leave it alone"

    "It sounds sad," Olaf states sympathetically.

    "Whatever it's "sad" about, I have no interest in making it our problem," Balog mutters. "For all we know, it's a damn ghost! Just...go back to bed, maybe they'll move on..."

    Does anyone attempt to find the source of the crying? Or do you agree with Balog to leave well enough alone?

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    The bedroll that is Jack twitches, rolls over, the opening parting a crack as an eye peers out, then closes once more. There's some bodily tussling inside before the flap reopens and he pokes his head out, giving a (surreptitious) sniff. Quietly he speaks to the group "Hmmm. I'm gonna have a look, anyone coming with?"

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Stealthy Sneaky Sneak

    Stealthy Sneaky Sneak:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    As a believer in ill omens and things beyond mortal kenning etc., Bern actually does agree. It’s probably a demon that mimics sounds in order to lure in the foolish.

    “Aye, I’ll come with ye Jack.”, he sighs.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Poor thing, best see if they need help."

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for stealth

    stealth:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak sits up but doesn't join. "I'll guard this lot. Yell if ya run into trouble."

    He makes sure his axe is nearby and he is ready, but doesn't attempt to sneak off with the trio before him.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Let's see what we can see," Urixes says, rising from his bedroll and summoning his rod to his hand. "Same goes for you, Oak. Give a shout if we need to come back."

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Stealth Check

    Stealth Check:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHaN-MjMhovJAJyjHhTdaXMnkXzOsKmpKgzK5_1A6YaInytM-FBHgA2pDKN2hEMIv75y3RtNIYV8IAhQ&usqp=CAU

    GlalAustinP0027mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Don't know what you mean, this is par for the course for stealth checks in D&D in my experience ))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OAK

    The group wanders up the hall to the Northwest, away from the hot spring. Oak is left with Balog (who is already snoring again) and Erik the Quick. Erik has been rousted during all the commotion, but he isn’t going *anywhere*. The dwarf gets up to pet and feed the donkey, and to nervously double check the straps on the Cart.

    Awkwardly coming to sit across from Oak, Erik grins cheerfully, attempting (badly, *very* badly) to seem nonchalant. “So, Mr. Oak, yer like, the *leader* of this particular little outfit, right? They report to you, you report to the Captain, sort of business?”

    Erik looks away bashfully, rubbing the back of his neck. “Cuz, I was just wondering…while you’re all here, and your *Ship* is here…and we’re sorta helping ya fix the place…well, you think you’d put in a good word with your Captain, maybe see yer way to giving us a ride outta here?”

    Erik’s eyes get wide, and he is clearly pretending to have just stumbled onto an original thought. “Hell, get us back to yer Ship, and we’ll set up shop there, me and Olaf! Gimme enough space to work and a safe place to do it, we’ll produce whatever ya need! *And*,” (this is the part you can tell he’s excited about) “ya don’t have to lug big lumps a’ dead weigh like me an’ Olaf around!”

    Oak, what do you think? Are you willing to provide these guys with the safety of the Ship; maybe a ride even? Do you have concerns about Agents of the Sun Prince getting involved with your crew? Do you trust Balog’s intentions?


    THE OTHERS

    Olaf the Dwarf chooses to join the group, albeit in the *very* very back. “Promise, I won’t make a peep!” The jolly rotund fellow says, before getting quiet and sincere. “Just…don’t like the idea of someone out there hurt, when we might be able to help.”

    The echoes bounce strangely in here, and it’s about fifty yards of sneaking up the tunnel before you see something, a shadow along the bridge…

    73okhqil4999.png

    A man is crouched along the walk, sitting across his knees and occasionally nursing a strange looking bottle. He looks like a man wounded, but the statuesque way he holds himself, it is hard to say just *how*. Upon his face is a vacant stare, which is slowly broken up when he begins to break into *heaving, awful* sobs. Whenever the sobs begin to overtake him, the man takes another sip from the bottle…making the crying slowly subside, and the vacant stare slowly return.

    His armor is of a strange, but clearly of a nautical design. He is armed to the *teeth*, even now a dagger clearly held in the hand which doesn’t clutch the bottle, and a sword in a scabbard at his back. His face is covered in tears…sweat…

    Investigation Check-(DC 16)
    …and *blood*…*deep* nail-marks, (claw-marks, really), are dug into the man’s head and skull. Their angle suggests he did it to *himself*

    As you approach, the man’s head does not move, and his behavior does not change. Sadness threatening to creep over his face again, he sips once more from the strange bottle. He doesn’t seem to have noticed *any* of you just yet…

    Perception Check- (DC 17)
    He *absolutely* noticed everyone who just approached, with the possible exception of Jack. The man is in the middle of some kind of breakdown or stupor, but his eyes darted and muscles went taunt as you all approached. The instincts are deep set: he is a *professional*, whatever else he may be

    How does your group choose to approach the Forlorn Soldier?

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: I cannot believe it took me this long to realise the Lost Vikings reference. Time to hand in my Old Man card... ))

    mrpakuSleep
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

    Investigation:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]
    Perception:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack eyes the solemn man, then turns to the rest of the group, looking at Arno and Urixes specifically and nodding towards their target, mimicking talking with his hand with a questioning shrug?

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for investigation
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for perception

    investigation:
    1d20-1 13 [1d20=14]
    perception:
    1d20+7 26 [1d20=19]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno stands up, arms held clearly to show they are unarmed and mean no harm.

    "Hey there, sorry to bother, but we couldn't help but notice you over here. Are you ok? Do you need some help, healing? Maybe just a kind ear to listen?

    If you'd rather be left alone, you can just stoically gaze into the distance, but while that can look cool and manly, I find it isn't that helpful."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The man stares solidly ahead, as if he hasn't even heard you. But you notice the right hand tightens around the dagger, ever so slightly...

    Arno, please make a Charisma Check

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern readies casting Calm Emotions. It’ll trigger if he tries to attack.

    If he seems neutral to the party, but is a danger to himself—well, more of a danger than he already clearly is—Bern will instead cast Sleep, using up an extra spell slot to add +2d8 to its power.
    I’ll roll it in advance.

    Geth roll 7d8 for Sleep HP

    Sleep HP:
    7d8 36 [7d8=3, 5, 7, 8, 2, 8, 3]

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    "I mean, if we were gonna kill you we would. Like, really quickly, because we're pretty tough and have killed a lot of stuff. But it was stuff that deserved so, well..."

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for charisma, +5 if persuasion will work

    charisma, +5 if persuasion will work:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]

    zekebeau on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Something about what Arno said hits directly home with the Forlorn Soldier, but not in the way they may have been hoping for...

    Craning his neck towards the Changeling, the hardened, broken warrior rises up, using the strange bottle to push himself to his feet. He cracks his neck, and turns to viciously *spit* back towards Arno with disgust, "You think...I *don't* deserve it!?" The pitiable sobs have morphed into ironic, deranged laughter. The man takes a final drink of his potion...then, with a resigned nod, he *hurls* it aside, where it smashes and breaks into the wall of the tunnel.

    He turns back towards the Wild Bunch, wiping his face with his hands as though to focus better. As though attempting to pick out his thoughts through a haze, he finally demands, "...Are you who she spoke of?... ANSWER ME!" The Soldier's arm inches back towards his sword...

    This is one breath away from going violent: last chance to try to turn the tide with something clever, *or* to plan ahead and get the jump on him!

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Investigation Check

    Investigation Check:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Ah, guilt. The constant of all warriors. Well, if you tell me who *she* is and what she said, I promise to answer truthfully, even if it leads to you having to stab me. Also the offer for healing is still open, but not if you try to stab anyone."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Forlorn Soldier's hand continues on, slowly but steady towards his sword. He shakes his head roughly, *dismissively* at Arno's offer of healing.

    "Can't heal what I've done...can only try to forget. Unless..." He tries to search his mind for what happened just before, obviously struggling. "She...handed me the drink. Said...she could "take it back" "

    But who?, Arno might push. *Who* said that?

    The Soldier seems confused by the question. He tries to recall. Finally, rather blankly, he responds: "*She* did. That little girl who came to me in a vision...said I could bring them *all* back, a life for a life."

    The Forlorn Soldier, his face awash with regret, pulls the blade from it's scabbard, and turns to face your crew...
    Geth roll 1d20 Charisma Save vs. Calming Emotions

    Charisma Save vs. Calming Emotions:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern let’s out a single note, much higher than you’d expect, then so low it falls out of hearing range. It continues on, reverberating through the Strings of Creation forged by the Divine Elven Orchestra eons ago.

    Bern temporarily breaks the charm this vision has over him, and wishes to sooth his guilt.

    “Harm not this wayward soul, and he will not harm us. Well met, I am Bern. I hold no great title or house, but I too have seen Death and burdened a warrior’s path. Speak freely now, and let us do what needs done.”, he says in a unusual, frost-tinted accent.

    mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Forlorn Soldier pulls the sword, and goes to dart forward towards you all...but the sweet notes vision stops him, and gently pulls him back. Tears flow once again, unbidden on his face, cooling his pent up rage

    The Forlorn Soldier looks around, confused for the moment. Finally, he seems to wrestle the personal crisis into some sort of submission, and lowers the blade another hair. His mind seems to become more his own, for just a little while, "I suppose ...it doesn't have to be *you all*... thought, goblins, or owlbears, or wyverns." Engaging truly for the first time, the Forlorn Soldier peers around the group. He shakes his head definitely. "Don't serve anyone, by dying as I kill most of you... *Maybe*, we can come to some kind of an arrangement."

    He looks back warily over his shoulder from whence he came. Then he turns back to the Wild Bunch. "You help me, and nothing more happens here." The warrior turns to Bern, trying to put his words in a proper order. "I was given drink to take away the memory...told to go down this path way, and to *take the souls* of those who would stop me, and with that to restore...to return..." The Soldier looks for the bottle which is no longer there. He rubs his wrist in regret, and then remembers his sword.

    The battered man tries to explain, to beg of the group: "She said with souls she could bring them back....and the other thing, the drink...please, I beseach of you!..." The Forlorn Soldier is begging, pleading. "You *must* bring me more of that drink! "

    The Forlorn Soldier wants more of the drink which was letting him forget...*whatever* has transpired recently. And he wants enemies...*souls*...that he can claim down this pathway, to return and tell "her" about (the little girl from his vision: a life for a life, she said). He's unwell, but he's not currently hostile: Bern seems to have soothed the man's damaged psyche, for the current moment...

    OOC:
    Bern's Calm Emotions are a 16 spell save when the Forlorn Soldier rolled a 15 against it! Just had to squee over that for a moment

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack watches quietly. He's not the best with words and Arno can usually talk the snow off a mountain, but something feels off. Be it the lateness of the day or simply the strength of emotion in the soldier, the words are not getting through. He reaches back to grab for the hilt of his weapon when Bern's song washes over the scene, immediately deescalating the situation.

    "Man, good going..." he murmurs at to bard from the side of his mouth and listens to the man's request. "Hm. What do you think, Oak... oh." Dad'a not here. Um. He speaks, hopefully quietly enough so the upset man doesn't hear him, "That magick won't work forever, right? What do you guys want to do? I don't really want to fight him, he looks so sad..."

    ((OOC: Jack votes to help ))

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Olaf the Dwarf nervously chimes in from the back of the group. "Errghm, ahhh...sir? This...*drink*? Where would we...be getting it from, exactly?"

    The Forlorn Soldier points immediately up and to the *Northeast* (your current path). "That way. Through the northern tunnel. *Can't* miss it." (For the man's many memory problems, that last answer was immediate; *instinctual*...)

    JACK'S RED SKULL SABER
    *sniffing noises, getting increasingly louder* "This one smells... familiar, for some reason. A certain...acquired taste...oh yes, I think *I* like him!" (grunting approval; makes you feel queasy)

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack takes hold of the sabre's hilt and jiggles it, murmurring, "Shhh, we're going to be killing stuff soon enough..." He looks somewhat guilty.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “This she… sounds not unlike the vile demoness my allies have run into in the past, though in a different form.”, Bern rumbles, “We’ll get you more of this drink, perhaps even divine it’s ingredients for you so you may yet break ties with this demon girl. Join us. As pirates we constantly face strong souls.”

    Bern obviously is against soul stealing demon stuff, but this guy doesn’t need to know that.

    “We have found a healing spring and have made camp there. You just heal their a spell before we move on, if you wish to survive long enough to kill a worthy foe.”

    Two truths, to soften the deception.

    Bern turns away, then calls over his shoulder, “We don’t have much time, so come.”

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak eyes Erik warily, now realizing that he should have left with the rest of the crew to avoid the pleasantries. Turns out, Erik wants more than to be cordial. The Shifter ponders the Dwarf's unspoken question for a moment. What would it mean bringing them on the ship? They had useful skills but would it mean more drama and politics?

    Oak almost rejected it outright just with a thought of dealing with more shipboard politics, but he didn't let his first reaction be his response. After a few moments of silence, he finally responded. "If ya are looking to leave whatever service ya have now, I can talk to tha Captain fer ya." He stares hard into Erik's eyes. "But yer gonna have to earn yer keep. No freeloadin'. And whatever allegiances ya had, best not endanger my ship or mates, else yer answerin' to me."

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "I agree, we'll help you get more of the drink. And we can then find some Wyverns or similar and then you'll have a worthy soul. Though, generally, those who come on your worst day and ask you to serve them, rarely deliver in the way you hope. And if this creature in the vision betrays you, we will help you set things right. Though, I think you should stay close, I don't think Balor or Oak will happy to deal with this at the moment."

    Arno begins to search around the broken jug, sniffing and hoping to find a clue as to what the mysterious liquid was.

    If this was just some really strong rum, this would be a lot easier.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 21
    OAK

    Erik is 100% onboard. The happily bouncing dwarf whispers (mostly whispers) a response to the Shifter, “O’course, no shifty layabouts around here, I can tell *you*! Me and Olaf…an Balog…*we* can work, don’t you mind! Fix whatever ya’ need, make repairs, modifications, whatever yer Captain wants!”

    Leaning ever closer to Oak, Erik makes sure Balog is snoring, then shares, “Me and Olaf, we was mostly just here for the learning experience. This is a bit of an “internship” for us…now that we got some *real* doing and worldy know-how under our belt, we can basically travel inside the Expanse bought an’ paid for. The two dwarves who fixed up the Grey Maw? Get out of here.” Erik nudges Oak in the ribs, knowingly (overly friendly; and more than a bit touchy-feely).

    Erik scratches his chest in sudden thought. “Course, Balog over there…well, this gig is his *retirement* ticket. He ain’t gonna do anything to risk it…but that shouldn’t be an issue, I don’t think! No reason you’d come into contention with the Sun Prince between here and Chaff, right?” (Erik has well talked himself into this: no issues, it’ll be *fine*!)

    The Lost Dwarves will petition to join the crew of the Whispered Curse once you reach the Ship (*at least* until the Isle of Chaff)


    THE OTHERS

    The Forlorn Soldier, very slowly, sheathes his sword…and then, his dagger. He looks around at the group here, his eyes wild but observant…

    OOC:
    Please note the following from the “Calm Emotions” Spell: Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 minute

    “You said…a Spring?” the frenetic man asks Bern, his hands running unconsciously over the wounds of his face. “Yes…yes…stop for but a moment to make whole. And then the drink!” He nods, the decision made, and strolls past your group, towards the front, and makes for Oak and the other two dwarves down the tunnel. Olaf, braver than you’ve *ever* seen him, steps slightly in the man’s way, and gestures back towards Arno

    Arno, it’s as though he heard you, but the words were *immediately* gone from his brain…he has to go searching for them again, and it’s *hard* for him…

    The Forlorn Soldier repeats the words, “Worst Day,” like a mantra, making everyone slightly uncomfortable. But, he *willingly* lets himself be escorted back down the tunnel...

    ARNO
    The leftovers of the broken jug certainly have some strong *notes*, which Jack could pick up on (or you, in a different form). The loss of the jug itself it unfortunate, and the pieces which haven’t been washed away by the water current under the bridge can’t be reassembled in any meaningful fashion: you may or may not be able to recognize a similar container (Arno, you or Jack will have a bit of a bonus to identify this substance again!)


    HOT SPRING- ALL TOGETHER NOW:

    Oak, you and Erik are still up discussing when you see your group return, a strange man stood between them as though he were being guarded. The group seems incredibly tense, but the situation seems…”handled”, for the moment.

    As the strange man strolls up to the camp, Oak and Erik take a good look at him. Nearby, the snoring from Balog has completely stopped…

    zzjf1es1mcrn.png

    The man in front of you is weathered, aged, but clearly used to be handsome. His armor is of a foreign make, and strange design. Over his face and forehead have been dug *deep* claw marks, as though the man *dug* at his face without care for the damage done.

    As the rugged man approached, he takes careful note of Oak, the two lying dwarves, the donkey…and then his eyes come to land on the Hot Spring. The Soldier greets Oak tersely (acknowledging him as the leader) with an awkward *nod*, and then points towards the water. “Hot Springs!, the man says, turning back to give a slight grin at Bern.

    In the next moments, the man loses his armor *entirely*: before most of you have realized what is happening, he has *fully* stripped, and stepped down into the Springs, sinking just down to his neck. From nearby, a now mostly-equipped and absolutely aghast Balog stares at the man, and then the returning group (he looks *accusingly* at Bern and Arno first).

    Eventually, sensing some sort of social faux pas, the Forlorn Soldier opens his eyes. Seeking out Oak and Arno again, the man sincerely expresses, “Worst Day!”, before closing his eyelids and returning to his momentary reverie…

    The Forlorn Soldier has joined the party! This man is clearly a *lunatic*. He will finish his au natural soak in the Hot Springs momentarily: in the meantime, do you attempt to question him, inform him, or possibly get a sneak at his equipment? Who gets the fun task of telling Oak who you’ve brought back, and what you’re now signed up for? There is also the question of the Dwarve’s reaction to the new party addition to consider: Olaf look tentative but reassuring, Erik looks frightened and on the fence, and Balog looks *utterly furious* and ready to beat the man to death at a moment’s notice

    Once you have caught up the party and addressed this fun new group dynamic, you may consider your Long Rest complete, and proceed NorthEest up the tunnel!

    Geth roll 1d50 “Tales of Terror from the Grey Maw!!!”

    OOC:
    Have been hoping for Tale of Terror#7 to show up! :D

    Tales of Terror from the Grey Maw!!!:
    1d50 7 [1d50=7]

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC: so what is Balog upset about? Guy's just having a soak, been a tough day.

    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak eyes Erik still. The Dwarf seems happy to throw his lot in with the Whispered Curse. Regardless of his reasoning, Oak is reluctant to trust him just yet. Too many holes in that story.

    Before he has much of a chance to dig into that further, the rest of the group returns, with someone strange among them. Oak eyes the man carefully, his hand casually drifting to his side to be closer to his axe without outright grabbing it. The man seems both poised and totally unhinged all at the same time, and that worries Oak greatly. The smallest of pushes seems like it could set this man off, and how much pain would it take to put him down?

    With a flash, though, the man strips down and jumps into the spring. Glad I got in there first..... A few moments of splashing before closing his eyes and all Oak can do is turn to the rest of the returning group with a single question. "Who wants to explain?"

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "The guy has had a day. The worst of his whole life. So thought we'd let him have a dip, we'd help him get some more potion that helps balance his mind *whisper* gather souls*whisper* and just generally help him get back on his feet. He didn't stab anyone and agreed to stab things that try to stab us. Jack Bern and I will keep a close eye on him.

    [Aside away from guy] He also may have been contacted by the Governor's kid, best keep him close."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak sighs and rubs his face with a hand. In a low voice, he responds. "You met a stranger that needed souls, and wants to stab things, and you thought, let's bring him along, sounds like fun."

    He takes a deep breath. "This one belongs to you four. You make sure he behaves." Oak turns back to Erik, Olaf, and a now awakened Balog. "Anything else you need done, get it done. We need to head out now."

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "It made sense at the time, he was crying so hard. Don't worry, Bern will take full responsibility. Now everyone gather round, I'd like to give you all water breathing as a safety precaution, as I like to be cautious."

    Arno begins the water breathing ritual.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Olaf nods along surprised to Oak's agreement, promising to keep an eye on the stranger. Balog looks bewildered with everybody. The dwarf grumbles something, but turns his attention towards pulling up camp and preparing to depart rather than arguing...

    As everyone leaves the Hot Springs to continue up the tunnel this morning, please make a Wisdom Check!

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Wis

    Wis:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]

    AustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Wisdom

    Wisdom:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack keeps away from Oak, he knows the shifter won't like this and would rather Arno handle it. Instead he goes sit by the pool once more, addressing the stranger, "I find it most relaxing to soak in a bath and tell tales. Since you told us yours, only fair I suppose..."

    Petting Mister Fusspot he begins retelling the part from the demon ship, except everything in the story is more... Jack. The demoness is an older hag, he hand-wrestled their ursine companion into submission and the meal was their host's acknowledgement of their total victory over her. It is unclear how much of that he believes himself.

    Once the rush of adventure wears off he drags himself back to his bedroll and tucks himself in fully, griffon curled up in his helm.

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Wisdom

    Wisdom:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 21
    The Stranger listens to Jack's tale distantly, his expression unchanging. It isn't sure if he believes the whole of the strange story, or if he is lost in his own train of thought. One would almost think he wasn't even listening, until Jack comes to the part about the dinner. The man's eyes light up momentarily. Turning to look fully at Jack, mouth watering, the man asks, "How did it taste?"

    OOC:
    "Water Breathing" Spell to be in effect for 24 hours (from 6:30am) for the ten following individuals: Arno, Oak, Jack, Bern, Urixes, Erik, Olaf, Balog, the Forlorn Soldier..
    and Gerdie the Donkey just makes the cut! Oak, Arno, and Jack have all rolled high enough to make out what's coming down the tunnel next...

    THE GREY MAW- WESTERN TUNNELS, NORTHWARD BRANCH- 8:02am

    The next morning is quiet and awkward for the tentative group. The Dwarves keep *well* behind the Forlorn Soldier, giving the strange man space while pretending to tend to their cart and animal (although it is clear Olaf watches the man with sympathetic interest, and Erik with frightened curiosity). The Soldier for his part either doesn't notice or doesn't care. The crying man carries himself near the front of the group, his face openly sweating and a series of tics becoming more and more apparent. The man's eye twitches; he digs at his nails with the sharp end of his dagger; he seems to be talking to himself, but no words emerge. Should anyone notice, the soldier will roughly dismiss their concerns, and simply repeat, "...Just...just need that drink. Should be just a bit further on..."

    The group finally changes the current tunnel for one which heads steeply up to the North. It's more of a climb now, and the water current underneath has gone from full and heavy running on either side of the bridge, to a slow but steady five foot deep trench underneath your feet.

    From the back of the crew, a few of you can hear Balog muttering, "Jump *us*, and then go invite Scary-McMurder up there to "join up". I won't sleep after this, you know. Not a *wink*. Not sure who's crazier, them fellas or...what did you say his name was?"

    "Umm...I don't think he did? No one asked his name, I don't think..." whispers Olaf, suddenly curious.

    Arno, Oak, and Jack, something up ahead in the tunnel...
    Up the slope, headed this way...*shimmering*. You wouldn't have noticed if you weren't paying attention, but it's familiar, it's *HUGE*, and it's headed right this way...

    lemgai2f62uf.png

    mrpaku on
Sign In or Register to comment.