As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 43- Pirate Haven of Chaff

17880828384

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    After a lot of translating, both verbal and psychic, Urixes finally turns to his mostly-still-full plate of food. He was no stranger to odd cuts of odd creatures, but even so, koa-toa food was ... interesting.

    Eventually, he strikes up his own conversation with their hosts, most of it happening without words. "I am glad we could help you with your money troubles," he thinks to Puulp and his kin. "Though I hope this does not embolden the Sun Prince even further. If you have what you need from the payment, may we take what is useful from the dead ships here?"

    Later, he turns his thoughts to the imagery he saw on his way in. "Puulp, tell me of those carvings. A great many of your people are honored there. So many gave their lives to Ghaunadaur. Tell me, do you suppose your new god will become as powerful as the Lurker, in time?"

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check (Supplies)
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Con Check (Dinner)
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check (Rumors)

    Charisma Check (Supplies):
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    Con Check (Dinner):
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]
    Charisma Check (Rumors):
    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    ARNO
    Puulp is…clearly unimpressed with Arno’s attempt at religious fervor. His eyes bulge at their sudden burst of childlike energy, and the fishman can’t keep up with the excitable Changeling’s questions or mania. “But…zen, I could explain…if you will just…see, za blood…if you could just please, for one moment…but I cannot…DO-*NOT*-TOUCH-ZAT!” The Priest shouts, pushing between Arno and the Egg. Clutching his staff with clammy, balled fists, the wide-eyed water breather is already visibly upset at himself for losing his temper in front of honored guests.

    It seems the Kuo-toa’s design in bringing Arno down here was to spark some sort of spiritual awakening in the Changeling; to get them to see the Priest’s point of view. The Priest seems to now appreciate the futility of his endeavor. Thus defeated, Puulp gives up on his sincere, heartfelt attempt to teach the Changeling the wonders and joys of occult blood sacrifice


    OAK
    It could’ve been someone you met in the Maw, who escaped the place’s destruction. Maybe Aloro has been able to spread rumors, in the few days since she escaped into the skies? Or someone from on board of the Whispered Curse? Maybe someone was flying by and saw only parts of the battle. Or, someone was hidden, or possibly invisible. Maybe the Sun Prince disguised his spies as small animals, or cloaked them in an illusion? No…simply too many x-factors to consider. Oak will have to keep his ears to the ground, to learn how this “Sun Prince” does business and gets his information


    URIXES
    Puulp is happy to help his Tiefling friend! The Kuo-toa turns his back in his seat and checks in with the Lieutenants of this place, asking if the “Chipyard” was damaged during the great Hatching. The fishmen laugh between themselves ironically: no, the “Chipyard” is still there and whole. It figures, the Kuo-toa joke, that the one area of the Outpost practically untouched by the Kraken Hatchling is the one they care not the least bit about!

    “Handy for our frend, za Lord of za Deep tho!” Puulp says cloyingly, mugging shamelessly for Urixes’s attention. “You see, a maelstrom opens up on occasion, to za East of here. Many Ships do not escape, and are dragged under…only to be sucked into a nearby channel, emerging afterwards in one of za lower chambers of ze Outpost. Please,” the Priest implores the fishy guard, “….after za meal, can you escort our Tiefling friend to the ‘Chipyard? There, he may pick what he likes out from the refuse and have his crew make use of it!”


    Puulp nods somberly at talk of the stairwell carvings. “Yiss, many dead! To Ghaunadaur, and Lolth. Tiamat. Asmodeus. For a long time, so very long, za sacrifices seemed to mean little. Zat is when we began to keep record, you see: of za lives given to great causes, of za effort of our people. A living testament.” The Priest seems to gain spirit from talking, his gills flapping rhythmically and his finger wagging authoritatively. “It has helped to keep our faith strong, even as the world attempts to shake it from us!”

    And do they believe this Kraken Hatchling will grow bigger, stronger, more powerful even than Ghaunadaur?

    A little bluegill stands and speaks, placing a balled fist to his neck in reverence. “He will be more powerful than all the slimes within the Far Realm!”

    Nearby, a red snapper stands as well, placing a fist to her own neck. “He will be wilier than the slyest fairies of the Fey!”

    Another, a large tuna-looking fellow, stands and takes up the response. “His gaze upon a moonless night will burn hotter then the Nine-Hells!”

    It goes on like that for sometime, with Urixes unable to get a word in edgewise. They apparently misunderstood your query as some sort of test of faith. All the things they predict now are aspirations they have for their newborn deity. Of course, they believe every word of it. They have to; how else will it ever come true?


    After dinner, Urixes is walked down to the very bottom of the Outpost’s stairwell by a pair of the Koa-toa. The fishmen bring the Warlock to the base of the structure, walk sixty feet northwest, climb him up a smoothly polished rock face to a small cave, and slide down a minor incline. The bottom of the minor slide opens up into an extremely large, but extremely cramped cave.

    At the center of the cave, smashed one on top of another inside the underwater lake, lie easily somewhere in the range of 6 to 20 different Ships, of varying styles and designs. None are seaworthy, but nearly all of the wrecked crafts have bits worth salvaging…
    Geth roll 2d6+6 SUPPLIES


    MIDNIGHT-EVERYONE
    More Crew than you would’ve expected find their way down into the Kuo-toa Outpost, wading through waist-deep, murky waters, and braving creepy, staring fishmen for the opportunity to rest on non-moving land. Shin the Kitsune starts a large bonfire in the middle of the former Elvish prison, rubbing his furry paws before the blaze as it begins to glow. Bluurg plops down into a puddle nearby, and proceeds to open a bottle of wine with his mouth, spitting the cork into the fire.. Little Carlee Burrowes brings down her full bedroll and a hefty book on identifying edible sea plants and fungi, hoping to make the most of the outing to find some new ingredients to experiment with.

    Above, as the Whispered Curse sits hidden in the rocky inlet, fishmen scramble over masts, bearing strange, translucent looking “leather”. The Koa-toa workers stitch feverishly through the night, working the shimmering “leather” into the seams of the fabric, reinforcing the stitching along the sails…
    Geth roll 1d6 for “Effects of Aboleth Skin”

    Geth roll 1d3 Days
    ---

    Due to a long stop, at safe shelter, with something to eat, FOOD and MORALE have stayed steady today!

    Urixes manages to recover 13 SUPPLIES from the 'Chipyard. The Ship’s SUPPLIES have increased, to 25/50!

    The Ship’s HULL has *Permanently* increased to *51*, due to “Aboleth-Reinforced Sails”!

    The Ship’s current HULL has increased, to 27/51!



    OOC: Turn to Jack before departing the Koa-toa Outpost. Rolling now for tomorrow’s Weather and Events.

    Jack, in the hopeful event that you make your Charisma Check to convince the Koa-toa to stop paying rent, please roll a 2d3 afterwards to open your HIDDEN CACHE!

    Everyone, do you all wish to spend 3 SUPPLIES to construct a harness for Arno’s Plesiosaur, in the event of another Bad Wind Day? If “Yes”, Carpenters will begin assembling the item now, and it will be ready for use by this time tomorrow!

    Geth roll 3d20 Day 37 “Wind/Weather/Location”

    Geth roll 3d6 “Day’s Events”

    Day 37 Wind/Weather/Location:
    3d20 26 [3d20=4, 13, 9]
    Days Events:
    3d6 9 [3d6=1, 3, 5]
    Effects of Aboleth Skin:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    Days:
    1d3 2 [1d3=2]

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC: Gee, I don't know, maybe we should conserve... YES on the harness.

    AustinP0027Denada
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    Jack huhs at that explanation, fork pausing in the air, "But didn't you say your people have lived here for hundreds of years? That sounds like a claim of ownership to me, are you sure the Prince isn't trying to, well, scam you? He does sound like a rascal."

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Charisma Check

    ((OOC: Figures it'd fail, it wasn't food related. I also second Arno's plan, that sounds dope ))

    Charisma Check:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

    Glal on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    WHISPERED CURSE- DAY 37- Southwest Wind/Slight Rain/Kelp Forest
    The crew departs from Pag-Svent Maw-Pab the next morning, ascending the long, vertical coral stairs back up to the Whispered Curse.

    The dusting of snow has turned back into a light patter of rain. As Jack climbs up to take the first watch in the nest and Arno assumes the Wheel, the Riggers go to pull down the sails…

    gopqg7nw10n6.png

    The Main Sail has been fixed, the hook'd gash sewn tightly shut, and the main seam stitched through with a coarse, thick, blue/green leather. The Riggers look around, noticing the others sails have been reinforced with the strange leather as well. The crew is just in the middle of complimenting the deft needlework of the Koa-toa when a sudden gust hits from the Southwest. Small joy ripples throughout the Ship as the winds finally returns! Then, horrifyingly, as the breeze enters the sails, the blue/green leather seems to twitch and pulse, *flapping around* and waving as though in tremendous, wrenching physical pain. Whether a natural product of the strange leather, or simply a final death rattle from the fish flesh, the eerie undulations make the sails seem as though they are alive, and suffering. The silently screaming sails do little to set the Crew at ease…


    sa3e03zhfzhf.png

    JACK
    The third day out on the Twilight Ocean properly is peaceful, almost to the point of being boring. Jack splays out in the Crow’s Nest, training Mister Fusspot to fly to different parts of the Ship and return back when whistled at. To pass the time, Jack eavesdrops on the sounds of the Crew chattering below, seeing if he can glean anything interesting from the idle shipboard gossip…

    A few hours after midday, something worth looking at finally comes into view upon the horizon. It appears to be…well, that can’t possibly be right. Is that…a cloud of pink balls, floating right this way? Hoo, boy….

    Jack, please make an Intelligence Save to see if you heard anything interesting as the Crew chattered down on the Deck


    2ev2rbmb3mtl.png


    A rolling field of “Pink Pollen” has been sighted off the Port side, headed in this direction!


    URXIES
    Urixes the 2nd Mate is checking in with Calthus Zorkul and the Captain when a holler from Jack calls their attention to the Port side of the Ship.

    …hmmm. Watching the pollen cloud roll in from the Main Deck, the Tiefling has a dim but disconcerting memory of this strange, floating allergen from past journeys. Nasty stuff. The Pink Balls drift with purpose, displaying an animal-like instinct to seek out life which to infect. Wicked hard to clean from the Decks as well. But what else…?

    Urixes, please make a Medicine Check to remember crucial details about the “Pink Pollen”


    OAK
    Oak saw the pollen cloud before Jack had, but he’d been hoping the rolling cloud would be dispersed in the wind. Instead, terrifyingly, the pink balls seem to, somehow, be aware of your Ship, and are slowly floating this way. Huh….strange. Well, strange-er. Oak thought he saw something within the cloud just now, something else….or, was it just his imagination?...

    Oak, please make a Perception Check to see if you saw anything “unusual” in the cloud of semi-sentient, cotton candy-colored pollen


    ARNO
    Derbin suddenly cries out, and points to the North!

    More strange weather today, rolling in from the Port Side. It looks like the Ship is about to be attacked by… a Little Girl’s birthday party? Although a strange and bizarrely beautiful sight, Arno gets a bad feeling from the (apparently, living) floating, fuzzy balls. Twisting the wheel delicately hand over hand, the Changeling sticks a wet finger to the wind, and takes account of the surrounding seas…

    Arno, Nature Check to successfully cut away from the incoming pollen cloud

    The “Aboleth-Leather Reinforced Sails” seem to *twitch* with still-living nerve endings, disturbing the crew throughout the day (-1 MORALE)

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "So, just because the wind picked up today, we're not going to use dinosaur power to guide the ship? Yes, Derbin, I realize the screaming sails already bother the crew and not everyone is as comfortable with wild animals as me, but hear me out. Dinosaur powered ships! The crew is already leaning into the whole wild bunch theme, so doesn't...oh, that is. Well really pretty and interesting, but also something we should avoid, right? Yeah, I'm going to try and avoid that.

    [In Edgar] Hey, Aaron, get your fireballs ready, we might need to burn off some very bad stuff heading right our way!" [/Edgar]

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for nature

    nature:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak had been looking up at the sail in curiosity, not appalled like the rest of the crew seemed to be, when he caught site of something far out on the horizon. He watched it carefully, his enhanced sight helping him to track it, and to his dismay, it kept rolling towards the ship. His eyes narrow, he attempts to peer inside the cloud itself.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO
    Arno spins the wheel deftly, trying to pull the Ship further South without losing any more time by going too-far out of their way. And it seems to work for a moment. The Pink Pollen, apparently sensing the change off-course, turns as well, the cloud gathering like a single organism as it shifts directions. However, it isn’t long before Arno figures out that the Pollen has not stopped its pursuit. Rather, instead of aiming directly for the Ship itself, the cloud is now making its way towards where the Ship is headed, hoping to cut you off. You’re set on a collision course with the allergen cloud. And the Pink Pollen appears to be *gaining* on you…

    The ”Pink Pollen” is currently pulling into range of the Cannons!
    ...

    OAK
    The cloud looks like a churning, flying, fuzzy mass of fish eggs. As Arno tries to set a course to flee the Pink Pollen, the strange phenomenon pursues the Whispered Curse, “chasing” the Ship across the Kelp Forest. Oak shades his eyes with his hand, attempting to peer into the bulbous cloud and get a look at what had been moving around in there….

    6qsqkd0glwtw.png

    ..aaahhhh, he sees something! It’s an imp, mischievously and almost perfectly cloaked against the color and texture of the giant-sized pollen. And now that Oak sees the first little demon, he immediately makes note of many, many others. For every ten or so of the pink orbs, a small Imp clings camouflaged to the side, well-hidden and along for the ride…

    Imps hitch rides on the floating pollen, obscured from most creature’s eyesight until its far too late. Oak will be able to provide Advantage to any attempts to shoot the little demons down!

    AustinP0027
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack cranes his head this way and that, trying to catch the words better. It's surprisingly understandable when the wind isn't blowing.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Intelligence Save

    After a few hours his attention is pulled away by the... well, that's a thing. Eyes still on the approaching cloud he leans over the side to yell down, "We got some pink balls coming our way! ...don't give me that look, I'm not drunk! Fusspot, keep down, this can't be good."

    Following Oak's yell he narrows his eyes and peers at the nearing pollen... oh yeah. There are thing in there. He pulls out his longbow and takes aim, no reason the gunners should have all the fun.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+9 for Longbow Shot at Imps
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Longbow Damage
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+9 for Longbow Shot at Imps
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Longbow Damage

    Intelligence Save:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]
    Longbow Shot at Imps:
    2d20k1+9 19 [2d20k1=[10], 2]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]
    Longbow Shot at Imps:
    2d20k1+9 27 [2d20k1=[18], 11]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+4 11 [1d8=7]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    JACK
    Jack’s first shot misses a little demon wide, and catches itself in one of the orbs of Pink Pollen. There is the sound of raggedly escaping air and pressure (like a whoopee cushion) as the ball of pollen begins to *SPEW* a thin, steady stream of noxious gas, before deflating into a lopsided puck and falling to the ocean…

    The second shot hits one of the little Imps squarely in the head. The tiny red gremlin has just enough time to let out a *YELP* of pain, before itself falling into the drink...

    The others Imps, their ruse discovered, begin to cackle and bicker between each other. Their strange little voices speak of horrible things. One by one, the Imps begin to disengage from the Pink Pollen, taking flight…and headed towards the Curse!

    23i90i1paa9e.jpg

    The Imps are separating from the Pink Pollen cloud, and headed *directly* for the Ship! How does your Crew choose to proceed? Do you call to open fire with the cannons into the Pink Pollen cloud? Do you call up the Strikers to take aim with Ranged Weapons and attempt to take out the Imps before they can get to the Ship? Do you choose to wait until the Imps arrive, and engage the little demons in physical combat? Call in magic users to help clear the Pollen? Some combination of the previous plans, or (hopefully), an even better one?

    Please decide how to handle the two-pronged danger of the allergen cloud and the (now, separating from the cloud) Little Imps. Medicine Check still to Urixes ( @Denada ) to get a better idea of what the Pink Pollen is, what it does, and how to best deal with it!

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak yells out a warning as Jack's shot rings out. With his enhanced sight Oak can see the pink cloud deflate, releasing what he can only assume was something harmful. Jack managed to land a shot and drop an imp, which cause the rest of them to advance towards the ship.

    "We need ta clear out that cloud 'fore it reaches us. Cannons, magic, whatever we have that can clear out those pink things out. Let the strikers, me, 'n Jack take care of them damned imps!"

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Ah, hells," Urixes grumbles, when he finally realized what the stuff is. One of his selves knew more, but could he pull that memory out in time?

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Medicine Check

    OOC: Urixes will also head up to the railing with any other spellcasters to start firing off eldritch bolts and other direct damage spells at the imps. He would like to direct anyone that can shape water or impact weather to try to increase the rain around the pollen clouds to drive them down into the water before it reaches the ship. Arcana check for that maybe?

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Check

    Medicine Check:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]
    Arcana Check:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Incoming! Get your bows and guns out boys, we got a swarm of nasties coming our way. Refi, you gave us a push to get a giant manta ray, how about you push off those bubbles out of our way too. I'll try to keep us out of their way.

    And Aaron [Edgish] Ho'f yur natters, neding BOOM! [/Edgish]."

    OOC Arno can 100% make it rain with create water, but it only has a 30ft range, so that will need to be later if the pollen strays to close. If I'm not needing a skill check then Arno will cast 3rd level summon:
    4onlvtnqq8oz.png

    Tweeter returns!
    Air creature with 60ft move and flyby.

    25 hit points+5 for master summoner class feature
    14 AC
    1d8+7 damage

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    URIXES
    ”Pink Pollen” are basically giant-sized “antibodies” which roam the Expanse, seeking out and coating all the disease, rot, or sickness they can find. They aren’t the most precise of nature’s instruments: sometimes they interpret “something new” and “a threat” as one in the same (case in point!) The strange orbs then grow spongy, protective layers around themselves to contain their complex-blend of maladies, which over time the spheres (slowly) consume and dissolve. Once the immediate threat has been contained, the balls use a complex chemical reaction to fill up with gas and take to the air once more. The orbs standard dimensions are about that of a large marble, but as they feed upon illness, they grow to massive sizes on the outside (the ones floating towards the Ship look like beach balls!)

    Piercing or bludgeoning them is a very bad idea, as they’ll spew their toxic foulness around unpredictably. Firing Cannons at them would be an *incredibly* bad idea, as the Pink Pollen reacts to like-pressure: were you to hit one with a Lead Shot from a Cannon, it would in all likelihood explode on impact, causing a chain reaction of explosions in the other nearby pollen, and probably coating the seas for a half-mile around in a miasma of sickness

    Fire would probably do the trick, but it’s raining enough that you can’t be sure you’d get them all before it was too late. However, Urixes’s idea to sink the balls into the water, where they’ll bob along harmlessly until they can fill up with enough gas to take flight again? (*chef’s kiss)

    Urixes begins to call out orders for all Magic-Users aboard, and Arno hollers out for the Strikers and anyone with a good aim to prepare themselves. The Crew bursts into action!

    As Urixes focuses his abilities towards expanding the rains around the allergen cloud, the others run from around the Curse to assist him. Nodding to Arno, Refi holds her Weather Bauble aloft, chanting and willing the winds to drive the Pink Pollen back. Nearby, the Storm Sorcerer Edgar joins her, muttering an incantation that forces the orbs down towards the water…

    The balls begin to *SPLASH* down into the ocean as the water and wind presses against them, but a few continue to amble their way towards the Ship. Whistler the Kenku goes to assist Arno, swelling the water pressure between the cloud and the Ship. As a few remaining globs of Pink Pollen come within yards of the Curse’s planks, Yis the Rak’ta and Natali-Gravedigger finish the “antibodies” off, Yis sweeping the survivors up in a “Tidal Wave”, while Natali (clutching the simple bone necklace she usually wears), summons a score of kelp-tentacles from below the waves, ensnaring the remaining Pink Pollen and dragging them under the waves!

    The ”Pink Pollen” has been *neutralized*!
    That problem taken care of, the remaining Crew turn their attention towards the Imps (AC-13), looking to stop the Demon Menace before any of the little buggers can reach the Ship and cause problems...
    ...

    Jack, please take command of the Strikers! Make three ranged attacks, *all Advantaged* (the Imps are being driven back by wind and water), to see if you and the other marksmen on board can down as many Imps as possible (damage doesn’t matter here: a hit means one less Imp to worry about)

    Arno, aim Tweeter at the flock of Imps and let him go *HOG-WILD*. Please have Tweeter make three attacks against the Imps (No Advantage to Tweeter, since he is *in* the wind and water). Damage doesn’t matter here: a hit means one less Imp to worry about

    Urixes, please take command of the Ship’s Magicians! Make three ranged Spell Attacks, *all Advantaged*, to see if you and the other spellcasters on board can down as many imps as possible (damage doesn’t matter here: a hit means one less Imp to worry about)

    Oak, you and the guys with swords and other short range weapons will be “batting cleanup”. Please make an Advantaged Dexterity Check, to greet any Imps that make it past the Curse’s firepower with your swingin’ Great Axe. Roll less than an 8 and you won’t be able to catch the little devils before they transform into rats and sneak into the Ship. Roll up to a 20, and you’ll potentially be playing whack-a-mole with the (up to five Imps) that your companions missed!


    OOC: Excellent magical application, use of the environment, use of your Crew, and use of teamwork. Inspiration to ALL! Go Wild Bunch!

    Update to the level (or lack) of Imp infestation once everyone’s rolls resolve. Rolling for Day 38:

    Geth roll 3d20 for “Wind/Weather/Location”

    Geth roll 3d6 for “Days Events”

    Wind/Weather/Location:
    3d20 30 [3d20=11, 1, 18]
    Days Events:
    3d6 4 [3d6=2, 1, 1]

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Wind, spray and demons. Arno is having a ball today.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Tweeter #1

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Tweeter #2

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Tweeter #3

    Tweeter #1:
    1d20+7 26 [1d20=19]
    Tweeter #2:
    1d20+7 8 [1d20=1]
    Tweeter #3:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    qsku2ltv3705.png

    *CAWING* loudly enough to split the skies, Tweeter soars into the midst of the Imp swarm, ripping the throat from one demon, before bouncing off and landing astride another, bashing it around the head and pecking at it's eyes!

    Imps- 7/9

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak is satisfied that the crew got themselves ready quickly to meet this danger, and he nods respectfully at Urixes who figured out cannons would cause a major problem.

    Instead, now he stood ready, axe in hand, to swat any imps that managed to close in on them.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+2 for Dex

    Dex:
    2d20k1+2 19 [2d20k1=[17], 13]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack yells down from the crow's nest to the Strikers below, "Okay boys, let them have it!" He aims his bow, commenting to the griffon on his shoulder, "And let's do our part as well, eh Muster Fusspot?"

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+9 for Longbow Shot at Imps
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Longbow Damage
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+9 for Longbow Shot at Imps
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Longbow Damage
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+9 for Longbow Shot at Imps
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Longbow Damage

    Longbow Shot at Imps:
    2d20k1+9 24 [2d20k1=[15], 11]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]
    Longbow Shot at Imps:
    2d20k1+9 27 [2d20k1=[18], 18]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]
    Longbow Shot at Imps:
    2d20k1+9 24 [2d20k1=[15], 7]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    Jack hollers down from the Crow’s Nest, and the Strikers assemble all along the starboard railings...

    A rain of arrows fills the skies!

    1tl5cowep8hc.png

    Jared Edgar and Killian plug away at the horde with their Longbows, joining Jack in cutting down a large swathe of the incoming Imps as they creep across the water! The little devils begin to fall from the sky en masse, and soon the herd has been reduced to but a half dozen or so of the foul little creatures…

    Imps- 4/9
    ...

    OOC: Three spell attacks from Urixes and the Curse’s Magic-Users, then Oak and the front-liners to mop up whatever remains of the tiny demons! Day 38 ready to go once I hear from ( @Denada ) It’s a Western headwind “tomorrow”, so I’ll be deploying the Plesiosaur unless you guys say otherwise!

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    With the pollen in the drink, Urixes gets to blasting...

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+8 for Attack 1
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+8 for Attack 2
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+8 for Attack 3

    Attack 1:
    2d20k1+8 23 [2d20k1=[15], 14]
    Attack 2:
    2d20k1+8 10 [2d20k1=[2], 1]
    Attack 3:
    2d20k1+8 27 [2d20k1=[19], 8]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    Urixes and his fellow casters light up the rainy skies with a *barrage* of magical firepower!

    bn7owl0ycvk9.png

    The Imps are soon reduced to a mere handful of survivors. The few remaining make their way to the Forecastle Deck, *flexing* their talons in preparation for a landing. But Oak is already upon them. Rushing up the stairs, the Barabarian hefts his Great Axe, and begins to bat the creatures from the sky, one after another, clubbing the little demons into oblivion with each swing of the axe! Soon, the tiny buggers have been defeated: either chopped into mincemeat along your Decks, or driven bodily into the ocean.

    Arno pulling away from the scene, the Curse continues its journey West…


    CURRENT STATE OF THE SHIP:

    38/ ?- CREW

    27/51- HULL

    19/50- FOOD

    25/50- MORALE

    Rhu Rhu the Koa toa Guide has recovered from his bout with “Vertigo”! Fiver Greenfield the Lapine Carpenter has recovered from his bout with “Vertigo”!

    An item has been added to the Ship’s General Inventory: “Dinosaur Harness”!


    6xcyoq2kb1m3.jpg

    ESTIMATED ETA for CHAFF: 6-7 Days

    WHISPERED CURSE- DAY 38- Western Wind/Sunny/Open Ocean
    The rain finally relents the next day, and at Dawn, the sun rises over a cloudless sky!

    Wind is pushing the Curse back, strong gusts coming in from the West. Derbin and Refi have a heated discussion about the practical uses and pitfalls of Dinosaur-power. In a huff, Refi finally concedes that it’s a better idea than sitting and starving (although, she suggests she won’t be responsible for anyone who ends up down the gullet of a great lizard). Derbin turns to Arno, a broad grin on his face. “Settled then...ready when you are!” the dwarf says cheerily. “That Fiver did a pretty good job on the harness, too! Once you’re all set up, give a call to the Riggers and they’ll strap this thing to his back, and then we’ll get going!”

    54l73tcwdmp9.png

    The entire crew stops and stares as the Plesiosaur *shimmers* into existence. The sound of ooohs and ahhhs come from the Crew, and there’s some rather weak, sporadic clapping around the Ship (although, it’s clear that some of the crewmen aren’t so sure about this….). In particular, Yr-Us the Koa toa Carpenter, once they see the thunder-lizard rise from the waters, gives a tug on Oak’s arm. The greener-than-usual fishlady wordlessly makes it clear to Oak that, if it’s all the same to him, she’ll be working below deck today.

    As she departs, Fiver the Lapine, opening his toolkit nearby, tsks sadly in commiseration to Jack and Oak. “Geez, what a lazy little fishperson,” The slovenly rabbit says, annoyance ringing in his voice. “So hard to find good help these days, innit?”


    EARLY EVENING
    The day remains uneventful, until the Whispered Curse approaches a situation at sea…

    4sj3hh0drpol.jpg

    THE SITUATION

    A. Whispered Curse

    B. Arno’s Plesiosaur

    C. Giant-Sized Anemones- A predatory plant with the appearance of a beautiful flower. The colorful tentacles are currently, casually ripping apart a Man O’ War ship, and a dozen or so roughly made Skiffs. There’s at least one of the massive creatures in the area, and they seem to be easily the size of your Ship or bigger

    D. Sinking Man O’ War- A half-sunken, half-destroyed Ship. You can’t make out anyone on board, dead or otherwise. And, you don’t know enough about the make or model to identify who the owners of the Ship may be.

    E. Sinking Skiffs- Nearly a dozen skiffs, either destroyed by Cannon-fire or *bashed to pieces* by the Giant-Sized Anemones. You recognize the crafts as the kind Rak’ta and Chameleons often use. Many of the still-floating crafts contain the dead bodies of lizards.

    F. Surviving Skiffs- Three damaged, small watercraft, and a handful of Rak’ta and Chameleons in rough looking shape. Upon making sight of your Ship, two of the Rak’ta try to hail the Whispered Curse, waving their arms over their heads.

    G. A Swift Exit

    Please decide, in or out of character, how your group would like to proceed here. There is precious little time to act in this situation before certain choices are made for you! Do you attempt to send out Longboats to find survivors of the Anemone attack? Do you attempt to fire cannons into the giant creatures? Do you send a scout (maybe Mister Fusspot) to survey what’s going on from the skies? Do you choose to skip past the thrashing Anemones entirely, and make for the Rak’ta that are hailing your Ship? Maybe you wish to split up to accomplish many things at once? Or something else?

    Or….do you decide to simply nope out of this situation? You’re not the Expanse’s babysitter after all, and it’s been a *long* week….maybe you’d rather ignore the sight off the starboard side, and simply keep making good time towards Chaff today? If that is the case, please skip to the Wild Bunch having dinner in the Galley this evening, and once there discuss amongst yourselves: what is the *first thing* you’re gonna do when you get to Chaff?

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack yells down, "Survivors ahead! Deadly looking monster to the side!" Some day he'll have to learn the proper ship directions, but it's not today.

    ((OOC: I'm not sure we want to mess around with the anemones, maybe just pick up the survivors (F) and vamoose? I'm sure Jack has confidence in Fusspot, but I'm not sure I do, could Hex do the scouting maybe? ))

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "I'm going to name you Perry the Plesiosaur. Onward you great beast!"

    "Refi, you can relax, it's not even a real animal, it's more a bunch of feywild mojo that is molded into a dinosaur shape. Like really chaotic clay. Named Perry."

    "Rak'ta overboard! We need longboats to grab survivors, all hands!" And maybe I can check out that big tentacled thing.

    OOC : I think its safe to say we'll 100% save the survivors, but Arno will certainly go shark and scout out the anenome, since I can swim the expanse without exploding now. And if I can get within 30 ft, I'd want to cast animal friendship [wis 13 save] to get the thing to just spit it out and curl up for a bit to let us near. If possible.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak looks out as the alarm goes up, seeing the mess of broken ships and apparently a massive sea monster. Arno yells for the longboats, and Oak is among the first to grab them. "Let's move quick lads. Ain't wanting to face that thing directly. In and out."

    OOC:Grab survivors, and leave is my vote. Oak will be in one of the longboats helping to grab people.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC grab and leave the large animal alone? Ok if you say...oh no I'm falling over this rail totally by accident byyyyye *shark splash*

    AustinP0027Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    OOC: Yup I'll send out Hex to scout, and let's grab those survivors and book it. Urixes will join the away mission.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Not a group to leave people in peril, the team calls down for a Longboat to be lifted post-haste!

    Double-timing it, Oak helps Killian quickly heft one of the two remaining watercraft onto a pulley. Jack shoots down the Main Mast, Fusspot on his shoulder, barely holding the sides of the ladder. Derbin takes the wheel once more, as Arno goes to help (and, of course, to satisfy their curiosity!) Lastly, Urixes calls to the Crew to stay within a close, but safe, distance, and strolls down from the Captain’s Deck, meeting the boat as it comes to rest, and climbing into the front.

    Hut! Hut! Hut!” Killian and the team of Riggers work hand over hand, raising the Longboat over the side of the Curse before lowering you all in. Oak and Jack immediately take to the oars, paddling at the water, arms moving like a blur. Perry the Plesiosaur and the Crew watch as your group heads towards the Lizard Skiffs…

    Midway to the frantically waving Rak’ta, Arno is clearly anxious, staring out towards the Anemone, fingers tap-tap-tapping so quickly that the noise becomes a drum-roll. Arms straining and veins bulging, Oak looks over at the sound and makes eye contact with the Changeling. A moment is shared between the two, completely unspoken. Arno’s eyes dart from Oak, back to the flailing tentacles, back to Oak. A winning, hopeful smile slowly spread across the Changeling’s face. Oak’s eyes roll momentarily, before he arches a single eyebrow and nods: a look that communicates, simply but firmly, *Of course* you are…but *be quick about it!*

    Arno laughs out loud, thanking the Barbarian with their eyes. Pulling themself up onto the edge of the Longboat, Arno is already beginning the transformation into Arno*Shark, before hitting the water and darting through the waves towards the Anemones and the sinking watercraft. Quietly cursing but unsurprised, Urxies whispers a command to Hex, who soon takes off in pursuit of the Changeling…


    JACK, OAK, URIXES
    The Shifters and the Tiefling make their way towards the surviving skiffs. The Rak’ta wave you in, looking exhausted but grateful.

    As the group pulls up alongside the lizards in their Longboat, they assess the situation. Three lizards in one boat. Two Rak’ta, injured but still standing; the ones who flagged you down. One Chameleon lying in the boat, battered, bleeding, unconscious. In the other two skiffs seem to be several large bundles, wrapped in massively sized palm leaves.

    Pleasssse…pleasssse, help her! Sssshe’ssss hurt,” says the yellow-frilled Rak’ta mournfully, gesturing towards the injured Chameleon. He says once more, “Pleasssse, *help her*!”

    The other Rak’ta, more of a blueish-green color, doesn’t seem sad, or scared. He seems…bitter. Terribly, horribly bitter. He turns to your group as you approach, shaking his head in damaged disbelief. “Came out of nowhere. They wanted our cargo, to sssteal it. And when we wouldn’t ssssurrender, when we tried to run…zey opened fire. And then…” The Rak’ta glares over angrily at the Anemone. “…it woke up. Shame, damn shame. I wassss sssso clossse but zen zey...zey came out of nowhere….”

    “Pleasssse,” the first Rak’ta continues repeating. “Help her. Pleasssse help her!”

    Someone will need to make a Medicine Check to see if they can save the badly injured Chameleon’s life

    Someone else will need to make a Charisma Check to see if they can talk down the agitated Rak’ta, to get them to stop repeating themselves and tell you what happened, maybe who they are

    And the third person will need to make a Insight Check. Something is…wrong, here….you can feel it…



    ARNO
    Arno*Shark makes their way towards the Anemone, Hex soaring just behind and attempting his best to catch up...

    As the Changeling pulls ever closer, they see that the Anemone is actually much bigger then it had first appeared. In fact, there seem to be several of them here, growing out of mountainous rocks below you, and filling an area of easily a hundred square yards.

    The flowery tentacles suddenly sense the Changeling, and move to whip towards them, limbs flying through the water like thick, *angry* noodles. Arno*Shark stops in place, and performs a strange, hypnotic shake with their fishy body. It’s alright, they think at the mound of wiry, winding plantlife. It’s okay. I’m not here to hurt you. Friends, see? Friends!

    The Anemones, confused, begin to pull back from the shark. Now unsure of what to make of Arno, the creatures hesitate for a moment, before returning to the task at hand: shredding and husking the Ships overhead, pulling planks apart from the boats, gripping lizard bodies, and dragging them down towards the center of the strange plant…

    Arno sees Rak’ta, Chameleons, the sea filled with splintered wood and floating bundles wrapped tightly in palm leaves. The Man O’ War itself is being dragged towards the center of the field of Anemones, quickly disappearing out of sight…

    Arno, two checks please, both with Advantage as Hex flies overhead and assists. The Anemones don’t consider you an enemy, but they also are very jealous/protective of their food/toys: make an Animal Handling Check to see how close they’ll let you get before *brushing* you away. The closer you get, the lower you’ll need to roll on your Perception Check to get a good look at what’s in the water, *specifically* what’s going on with the nearly disappeared Man O’ War!

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Jack has a Medicine of +1, I assume someone else has higher? ))

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak helps to reach the stranded Rak'ta, keeping an eye on the large sea creature as their group works to assist the injured chameleon. His eyes scan the wreckage, and then the group of Rak'ta that are here. There was something here that was strange, other than the large tentacles destroying a massive ship.


    OOC: Oak has a +0, so you got me beat there. Does have a +3 to insight, so I grabbed that one.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Insight

    Insight:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC:Yeah, we're burning inspiration for that one.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Insight

    Insight:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

    Glalmrpakuzekebeau
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OAK
    The yellow-frilled Rak’ta eyes are unnaturally pale and milky. Underneath leather pads, some of the limbs seem to be badly broken, or bent at a strange angle. And yet, the creature stands, impossibly, as though it feels no pain. The blue-green Rak’ta is covered in three dozen or more lacerations…but they don’t bleed a drop. And each of the lizards seems to be stuck in some kind of loop, like their minds had been taken…or they had forgotten themselves. And next to the pile of Chameleon bleeding out in the boat, the two Rak'ta seem seem…pale. Almost, insubstantial.

    Oak, it slowly dawns on you….these two didn’t survive the encounter with the other Ship and the Anemones. They don’t seem to have realized it yet, and are still working through their pre-death trauma. You could help them…but, for *GODSSAKES*, don’t break the news to them that they’re dead. They’ve been through enough for one day, and the realization that they’ve passed might be too much for the pair!

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d20k1+4 for animal handling

    Geth roll 2d20k1+7 for perception

    animal handling:
    2d20k1+4 18 [2d20k1=[14], 7]
    perception:
    2d20k1+7 17 [2d20k1=[10], 7]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak's eyes are able to take in the pair in front of him, and slowly a spark of realization burns. The cuts with no blood, the bent limbs, the lack of recognition of pain from these two, it all started to add up to Oak. The Shifter's eyes widened briefly before he controlled it, returning to his stone faced demeanor. "Why don't you lot sit down? We'll take care of yer friend here." he says calmly.

    Motioning to Jack and Urixes, he points down at the friend as if to indicate that the group needed to intervene, and that the injured Rak'ta was their top priority. He didn't want to give the other two anything that might cause them to panic, given their current state, he wasn't entirely sure what might happen, but maybe if they were able to calm down, it could happen peacefully.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes nods ever so slightly, and tries to distract the two while Jack gets to work. "Brave Rak'Ta, we're here to help. It's going to be alright, but tell us more. Who attacked you? Where did they go?"

    OOC: I'm also a +0 for Medicine, so I'll take the Charisma check.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check

    Charisma Check:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    (( Yeah I'll go ahead and use Inspiration too ))

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check

    Edit: GETH

    Charisma Check:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

    Denada on
    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack nods and looks to Oak, expectantly... then Urixes... then, puzzled, pulls out some bandages from his emergency supplies and murmurs to the injured, "Don't worry, I'm good at this." This is literally the first time he's ever done anything like this.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Medicine

    ((OOC: So is Jack the wisest person in the party? Because if so, woof! ))

    Medicine:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Medicine Inspiration

    Medicine Inspiration:
    1d20+1 4 [1d20=3]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Ol' Take Yer Limb Jack we called 'im... ))

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC Guys, you are supposed to roll BETTER after you use inspiration.

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Sorry, what's this "rolling better" concept, I don't understand... ))

Sign In or Register to comment.