As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    JACK sees that the ships, impossibly old, are still in pristine condition. The wood looks a bit aged, but each plank and log has a heavy-layer of hand-rubbed finish over it, and they all remain well-preserved. The stain and seal seem to have kept the craft water-ready all this time. Inside each ship is a main sunken compartment, where you can find a cache of simple items: harpoons, fishing line, rope, firestarter…the items kept here are numerous in quantity, and obviously intended to not only maintain life on the open water, but also provide rudimentary shelter and simple materials to establish camp on dry land. Jack looks up in wonder, trying to puzzle together how the sails could have lasted so long. He reaches out to touch one, and as he brushes the fabric he immediately realizes why the material looked strange yet familiar…each one is made of intricately stitched together lizard skin, thin but sturdy.

Jack puts it together…the Rak’Ta nearly left this place years ago. They had prepared for calamity, and were ready for it, but something caused them to get cut off from their escape route at the last moment. However, because of that tragedy, their ancestors can now reap the benefits of the effort where they could not: Strike and the Rak’Ta have been provided enough means to survive out on the Ocean, and to establish a life for themselves elsewhere.

OOC: Moana is right on the nose there (three kids, I’ve seen that movie probably 900 times; what can you do! :D )

OAK looks around this underground cave, wary for an ambush. But the underground dock is peaceful…it feels protected. This place has a certain aura around it that keeps away pests and predators, the same as the Dark Glen: however, where the Dark Glen was abandoned from a place of fear, this place seems left alone out of reverence, or divine protection.

Further observing, Oak sees occasional bits of dust and pebbles fall and shake from the ceiling. The drip of earth is slow, but consistent. There is also an occasional low rumble from the land above you, hard to hear but unsettling. It’s not enough to present immediate concern or notice (Oak had seen the place try to pick itself from the ocean and shake, after all), but the island seemed to be constantly unsettled now. Looking over into the water, Oak sees here and there dead fish, bloated as though poisioned. Foul gases seep from underneath. Through murky water, at the very bottom, Oak can see vents have opened up, and seem to be *glowing* with heat.

It’s slow going, but the signs together make it obvious to Oak:this place is starting to come apart.

mrpaku on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    ((OOC: Remember folks, don't take One-Eyed Willy's share ))

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Well hello Mr Fusspot, how did our big strong hero fair on their quest? " A dark thought crossed Arno's mind. "And tell me your code name. We don't know all Pipes tricks."

Looking at the small fleet, Arno's heart soars. "We did it. We can save them and give them a chance at a new life." Tears well in the changeling eyes. It had been such a long shot, so many people said to leave them to their fate. But they had changed fate.

Geth roll 2d20-1 for investigate

investigate:
    2d20-1 33 [2d20=19, 15]

• Options
    [ARNO can feel fairly sure that the Chameleon body you found was Pipes (the head had the distinctive dry, cracked skin around his mouth). And Mister Fusspot chirps his codename to Arno, quietly. However, the thought does remind Arno of something…the Pipes’s, uh, pipe went flying near the lake, after Arno hit him with the Moonbeam and Oak tackled him. It was still there when you went into the lake looking for Jack…it was missing, when you came back…]

Arno looks around the ancient underground docks, grinning from ear to ear as a large tear falls from one eye and they take in what they’ve found here. This long forgotten place felt like it had lain in waiting for them all this time…waiting to change the path of an entire civilization!

Arno examines the walls of the dock, Fusspot nestled into their shoulder (you can tell the Griffon has *greatly* missed the entire Wild Bunch, but most especially you and Jack). The brickwork is simple, but very solid. Despite the ages (and who knows how many quakes), much of the masonry remains fully intact and untouched. Arno looks for any sort of detail in the work, and simply finds a handful of sconces, peppered along the walls…huh, it looks like this one still has some oil in it, though…[Out of a sense of curiosity, or maybe a sudden Insight, Arno lights the oil left in the sconce…]

A sharp light pierces the edge of the darkness. A side of the cave and half of the ships are softly lit. But Arno’s eyes are keen…and in that half second between the dark and light meeting, you saw a bright *twinkle* among one of the watercraft.

Arno makes their way to the ship which had sparkled. This sail is different than the others: it was made from some sort of silk, now mostly rotted and frayed. The design, slightly different...not as well made. You feel like this was a human’s poor attempt at replicating the Rak’ta’s boats. Making your way to the sunken compartment, Arno wrenches it open to discover the source of the twinkling...

[ARNO has discovered 2200 GP in the compartment of the boat. Please let me know how you choose to proceed from here (do you all leave in a single craft out to sea, headed for the Whispered Curse? Do you stay to make sure the Rak’ta claim this place safely? 50/50? Something else?]

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    OOC: I’m trying to teach myself to draw, so if anyone wants to send me a description of their character I’ll do you a sketch.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak looks to the group. "We have our way out. What do we do about the rest of the boats?"

• Options
    Jack is running from ship to ship, excited, "Let's get this one! No, this one! No no no... thiiiiiiis one!" They don't look all that different from one another really, aside from the one Arno boarded.

"So, what's the plan?" He's bonked on the head by a small piece of crumbling cave ceiling, "Whatever it is, I feel it should involve leaving before this whole thing collapses on top of us. What's your vote, Fox? Hope you're not eating all my jerky in there, Fusspot gets cranky when he's hungry."

• Options
    The doppelganger fox sniffs and growls at Jack... straining...Grey Man's head briefly emerges from the fox's neck (it's still pretty hard to watch), and says, "You need someone to keep an eye on the place? I will...if you *promise* to come back for me..."

• Options
    [Each of you can tell that Grey Man is excited to flee, but scared to leave]

• Options
  • Options
    Oak shakes his head. "I don't see no reason for someone to stay behind. Door's open. Question is, can they find the door on their own?"

His eyes look up at the cave they're in, noting again as it's shifting. "Either we go tell them where the door is, or we jump on a ship and go. Not sure there's a point in both."

• Options
    Jack tilts his head, "Unless we want to strike out on our own, we already have a ship. So I fig'r, what's faster, to take a ship and try reaching them that way, or to jog there on foot?"

((OOC: Could I use Jack's proficiency in navigation and water vehicles to guesstimate this? If so, what would I be rolling? ))

• Options
    edited February 2021
    OOC:Heading back on foot would probably be fruitless: you're not sure which of the forest trails and underground paths Strike and the others would take to get here. Plus, you risk being here when the island finally starts to sink. There are several different methods back aboard ship, ranging from the general and rough, to the highly specific, that you could attempt to try to signal or send a message to the people of the island. You have also not seen Rax or the Fox Gang yet.

If you're all ready to depart for the Whispered Curse, leave an agree to Oak's suggestion to depart for the ship right away, and Jack can borrow one of these craft and steer it out towards the ocean with you guys aboard

mrpaku on
  • Options
    "Jack, did we get a new friend? Hi, I'm Arno. Wow, I wish I had your control, I can only change my whole body."

"I can stay with the new member and get us out of the place goes under. I have the sway after all. I just want to be sure Strike and Raz get here safe."

• Options
    OOC:I'm not suggesting we leave yet, I'm just trying to open the door for others to suggest how we tell the Chameleons that we found their boats

• Options
    The strange-headed fox runs out from Jack's backpack onto the Dock: as his feet hit the wood, he changes back into the familiar grey form Jack met him in:

w6ytth6tvc0r.png

Grey Man grins up at Arno with his whole face, and then, shifting, assumes the friendly visage of Jack, (while his lower half remains in the original form). "Hi Arno! I'm #73! I just turned six today!" (The Doppelganger will attempt to shake Arno's arm off in a pleasant but awkward greeting).

"Jack and Oak were kind enough to let me come with you guys, and get away from...Evv,-evv,-dia. (The Doppelganger shivers for a moment in the warm cave in memory).... anyways, Jack says I'm gonna stay aboard and be a, uh, fox! On the ship!" Grey Man looks suddenly concerned at this prospect, before brushing his concern aside and assuring Arno, "I just wanna help. I'll do whatever you need me to, if I can find a place to live among people."

• Options
    edited February 2021
    OOC: Let's say...Arno and Grey Man remain on land to await the Rak'Ta's safe arrival, and Jack and Mister Fusspot head back towards ship?... @AustinP0027 ? @Denada ? Where are Oak and Urixes?

Also, what does Arno do with the cache of gold they found?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Part of me feels compelled to wait for Strike, but if he's to lead his people he must do it himself from here on out. We opened the door. I trust him to walk through." Urixes stares out at the hidden harbor's exit, trying to catch a glimpse of the Curse. "Besides, I have my concerns about the state of the ship. Who knows what everyone got up to while we were here."

(( Urixes will join the group returning to the ship ))

• Options
    Oak sighs. "I worry 'bout the ship." He stares off into the water for a moment, then turns back to Arno. "But I hate to leave a job half done. I'll keep Arno company till they get here."

• Options
    Arno starts to laugh hysterically.

"Yes, yes this is so great. We're going to have so much fun 73. We're going to teach you to sail, sword fight, and all about the power of friendship.

Oh, I can't decide if we should tell the captain or if it should be a surprise. She was upset when she found out about Jack's shifting, but then again she likes me... well kinda. Oh, can you be like a bear like humanoid? I feel like that would really round out the Fox Gang's whole thing.

Oh, and promise someday we'll do the thing where we need to be in to places at once and you pretend to be one of us, and hijinks ensure? Please?"

• Options
    Jack looks from person to person as they hash out the details, then nods, "Right then! Let's piiiick... this one!" He scrambles onto a nearby ship and starts getting it ready, glad to have Urixes to help. These craft have been here for a looooong time, they're not exactly a lever's pull away from undocking.

Finally they're done and ready to go, "Okay, we'll head to the Curse and notify Strike." He looks to the light coming from the waterway entrance, "Shouldn't be too hard to find the way back here... See you soon! Commodore Fusspot on deck!"

• Options
    edited February 2021
    [THE WHISPERED CURSE]

JACK and URIXES gather all of their supplies, and board one of the vessels. Jack takes command of the craft: finding an oar, he *pushes off* from the Underground Dock, and begins to *slowly* swing you out and away from beneath the island. Building momentum, the watercraft drifts towards the light, and begins to catch a current out to sea. For a moment, Fusspot pecks “comfortably” at Jack’s (swollen, slightly bleeding) ear…and then jumps down from Jack’s shoulder, to land gently in Urixes’s lap. The Small Griffon looks up at the Tiefling, and *CHIRPS* loudly and aggressively at him, daring Urixes not to pay attention to him.

After so much time in the dark, the sun feels nearly *blinding* when it strikes you both without the cover of leaf, or tree, or fog. Urixes and Jack glide out on the raft from the cave, and emerge into the calm, bright ocean. There within sight, anchor dropped and not a hundred yards off of shore, sits a sight you find you’ve missed this past week: the looming majesty of the Whispered Curse:

1kxothelm49q.png

Deckhands make sight of you almost as soon as you make sight of the ship. A call goes out, and the Ship’s Bell begins to *PEAL* out in the morning air. As you approach, a rope ladder gets dropped over the Port Side.

You climb up to see many of these familiar pirates stare at you with murderous daggers as the Wild Bunch finally returns aboard. Many sharpen knives on stones and *SPIT*. You hear random chatter among them, “…Captain prefers her dogs to her crew…”, “…hear at night they turn back into snakes, and the Demon goes to sleep in the pile of em’…”, “might as well just hex you before you step aboard, these days…”

But it isn’t simply hate being spewed as you walk aboard again. As the din of grumbles begins to grow all around you, a *hoot and a holler* suddenly goes up to drown it out from among many of your fellow crew. It begins to build, until a groundswell of attaboys, and luckysjacks, and lordofthedeeps drown out the sound of the naysayers. Half of the pirates aboard, *maybe* even more, seem to be fans of the Wild Bunch…either through actual admiration, or general bemusement, or simply that you break up the tedium aboard ship, and have become interesting abstract conversation.

This exchange all gets shut down rather quickly, however. With a clatter of loud, authoritative boots, and a “*QUIET THE FUCK DOWN*,” yelled across the ship, everyone suddenly hushes.

Captain Arabella steps down from the Wheel,

cv0tpjp1a6dk.png

Her First Mate, Conrad, is right behind her, looking cocky and abrasive,

t406gepsmq33.png

Captain Arabella steps five inches from Jack’s face, crosses her arms, and lets out a rumbling sound that resembles a bull ready to charge. As the menacing sigh slowly leaves her, she closes her eyes and inhales with focus, as though trying with tremendous patience to control herself. “So…what did you all do this time? Besides…assault the Governor? Or…burn down a village? This time, did you just…,” here Captain Arabella graps Jack physically by the shoulders, and spins him around to look at Villam nearby, “….blow up a goddamn island?!?

The First Mate pipes up out of turn, “Or was it…run off into the fucking woods while we’re left standing here, holding our…

“*Conrad*,”Caprtain Arabella doesn’t even look at him: she holds up a single hand, and the cocky Conrad quiets.

Once the First Mate has stopped yelling in your ear, Jack and Urixes can take in a full view of the island. From here, you can see smoke plumes are rising up all around the forests of Villam. The water immediately underneath the island looks yellow, and polluted. The ground above seems to have slowly begun to crumble as well: the forests are nowhere as lush as they were when you arrived, and several parts of the hills and beaches themselves have started to slough away, and sink into the sea.

Captain Arabella rubs her temple between her twitching hand. “I gave you a week. You were gone almost two. The Wild Bunch has been….nothing but trouble, since you came onboard.”

“That’s absolutely right,” Conrad contributes, uselessly (Conrad stares around at the hecklers in the crowd, nodding and stoking their anger)

Captain Ari shakes her head in annoyance at Conrad, and then finally leans in subtly and hisses to Urixes and Jack, teeth clenched and eyes pleading. “I just sold a bunch of my credibility that I won’t be getting back anytime soon, not to just leave you guys here….so you both need to let me know what the FUCK is going on, and we need to convince the half of the crew who wants my neck because we stayed for you to *back off*, or this is gonna be a very short trip…

[Please make a Perception Check to see what changes you notice about the crew up on deck, as you return from your sojourn. You may *ALSO* make a Charisma Check to attempt to calm down Captain Arabella, and/or attempt to persuade or possibly intimate the Assembled Crew, (if you were feeling chatty, you could even try *BOTH*)]

[UNDERWATER DOCK]

The Grey Man is on board with everything Arno is saying: he looks like a large grey child on Christmas, “Evvdia always told us all people *hated* us changers! I don’t want to upset your Captain…so, I’ll stay in disguise or tell her, whatever you guys think is best.”

At Arno’s mention of Bearmen, the doppelganger considers: focusing, #73 changes

9ygw254tps1a.png

“Something like this what you were thinking? Should I go aboard ship like this? And who are “The Fox Gang”?” Suddenly, the direction you came, you hear what sounds like a pebble, skipping and rolling down the stone stairs you came in on…

Geth roll 1d20+6 for “It Was Nothing, Probably”

Shortly after your companions pull out of sight, Oak and Arno can make out sounds coming from the top of the stairs. At first quiet, but with the quickening echoes, you can tell people are running down the stairs as fast they possibly can without careening over the edges. You hear familiar voices start to ring down into the cave. Oak motions silently to Arno and Grey Man…crouching behind a couple of the ships, you hide from sight and draw your weapons.

You know it’s them far before they step into the light: the Fox Gang is bounding down the cave stairs, having a heated and consistent argument among themselves about something important. You aren’t sure what the argument is about until they pull into view, and you see they carry a comrade along their shoulders.

Fiver (the Lapine)’s left leg is now completely gone. He is being carried, comatose, on Shin (Kitsune) and Ril (Aaracokra)’s shoulders. Rax helps bear part of the burden down the stairs, carrying the Lapine’s legs in one arm, and shining a torch into the darkness with his remaining claw. Where the other claw once was, you see a sparkle of metal off the torch.

The Fox Gang emerges out into the cave. Rax waves the torch around, looking for figures in the dark. Around his neck, a necklace which wasn’t there before rests: a Medallion of the Moon, with a Claw Mark across it. Shin and Ril place Fiver down on the dock and check his vital signs.

[ The Fox Gang has arrived at the Boats, one of their number (Fiver) in tow and heavily wounded. They haven’t seen you, hidden among the boats of the Dock. What do you do? ]

It Was Nothing, Probably:
    1d20+6 11 [1d20=5]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    [Bluurg attempted to sneak down into the room in front of the Fox Gang, but you both spotted him before he got all the way down the stairs. He's currently "hiding" in one of the nearby boat compartments, munching on centuries old rations.]

• Options
    Oh, it feels so good to be sailing once more. He'd initially become a sailor only to search the world, but over time the sea has really gotten into his bones and the sights and scents are a comfort to him now. Certainly better than the demoness' `ship`.

Jack begins to hum a tune once more as they set out, thrilled when they spot the Curse, "Hey Urixes, looks like we'll be home sooner rather than later! Think Michael has any food ready? I could go for a pie..." His stomach rumbles at the memory of the food he'd eaten recently.

Side by side with the Curse he climbs up, ignoring the crew's grumbling but soaking in the hoots. Now this is the kind of welcome he'd hoped for! His grin crashes face-first into the very upset captain and melts into a mix of surprise and meekness- he'd gotten chewed out like this before the change (with literal chewing) and he knows better than to provoke the pack leader further.

Spun around he finally sees the island. Oh, that's new. Is this because the island wasn't fed? Or because the scary man died? He has only partially keps track of what was going on around him, his wolf brain finding it far, far too complex and he gives Urixes a "help meeeeeee..." look, sort of shrinking against the angry captain and muttering a non-descript apology. For a wolf he sure looks like a puppy that knocked something over and smashed it.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Looking Sheepish

((OOC: Well, I'm glad Jack didn't come alone! ))

Perception:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]
    Looking Sheepish:
    1d20 16 [1d20=16]

• Options
    "I'll be honest, it's pretty complicated with the one-faced folk, some of them like us, some are wary, some hate us. Our group and the Fox gang are pretty welcoming, though. And maybe add a bit more pudge and less claw, a rolly polly bear body puts people at ease when...what was that?"

Hiding in the shadows, the sudden noisy entrance of the Fox gang can't be missed. Arno jumps from the shadows.

"Ahoy, looks like you got a mate down. Shin, take this (hands a healing potion) pour it down fiver's mouth. Nurse 73, put pressure on this wound, while I craft a poultice. What happened out there?"

OOC Arno will go full field doctor trying to help, including trying to save the leg if possible. I have an herblism kit if that helps, and asking 73 to follow directions an maybe do a help action.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for medicine

medicine:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

• Options
    OOC: totally a doctor

• Options
    Oak was still determining how to react when Arno stepped out in full sight. Surprise lost, Oak steps out as well, but remains separated from the group and Arno, holding onto his large axe and generally looking solemn. His trust only goes so far, and for now, he was trusting only the Wild Bunch.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    [JACK] / [URIXES]

The population is a lot more Rak’Ta heavy than Jack remembers when he left: it seems as though some of the villagers decided they’d had enough the night of the Pit, and joined up with the crew as a means of escape. It doesn’t seem all of the old crew is very pleased with this development.

There is a bad vibe you can sense among the crew of the Curse, that existed *long* before you stepped aboard. Something bad has been brewing since you’ve been away, and two sides of the ship seem to have begun turning on each other over it.

Jack sees some new fashions as he looks around the ship as well…a lot of the pirates seem to be wearing black armbands. The mood hangs sad and heavy in the air, so that even Jack can feel it. Geez, Jack may find himself wondering, who died?

Captain Ari tries to maintain her rage…but she fails, and her glare softens (Captain Ari has a hard time staying mad at Lucky Jack). She grumbles, “You two are just luck Rax and his flunkies are further up my shit list right now. Look, things have been *FUCKED* since you’ve been gone, and keeping lost in the woods for nearly another week helped a lot of these guys decide you were the problem. So it’s either you or me, and it ain’t gonna be me, capisce?” Captain Ari seems to finally do a double take. “You’ll need to debrief me in my office as to exactly what went down out there. And…wait, where are the other two? Don’t tell me you *lost* them…we need to go now.”

[Captain Arabella is waiting for an explanation]

[ARNO] / [OAK]

Arno scares the hell out of all of them…the Gang each turn expecting someone has gotten the drop on them, grabbing for weapons and pulling themselves to their feet with betrayed yells (inside his boat compartment, you hear a meaty *THUNK* which was likely Bluurg bumping his head and falling back among the supplies). However, when they see it’s Arno…they begin to slowly (hmm, a little too slowly, surely?) put away their weapons.

Arno gets down and begins *barking* medical directions to the still stunned Fox Gang. Shin hesitates as Arno hands him the potion, but only for a split-second: the Kitsune nods and gratefully accepts it, pulling out the cork with his teeth and shoving the bottle into his friend’s mouth. #73 (as a bearman) immediately begins following Arno’s orders, expertly compacting the wound (Shin gawks openly at Grey Man as he holds the bottle).

Ril stands aside from the commotion the same as Oak.The birdman looks over at the shifter, and gives him a nod of understanding (Oak senses mutual respect: he also senses that this guy would still happily have a go at you, should the situation ever arise...)

Rax puts his weapon away and slowly walks up to squat next to the impromptu medical team, as Arno prepares the poultice. “Took care of za witch mossstly fine, zen headed here…but za goblins found usss again, in za tunnels. We got caught between zem and a group of za Rak’Ta. Managed to buy zem time, but za ssspace was too sssmall, and we got overrun…Fiver got brought down by three of zem, and zey nearly cleaved right through.”

“The onesss we found in the tunnel, Arno…they were Rak’Ta and Chameleons, headed zis way. Ssssurprised we got here firssst, but it’sss probably becaussse once we sssaw Fiver’sss leg, we ssstoped taking our time about getting here…jussst ran za whole way.”

As if on cue, you can hear snakelike voices from the top of the stairs: the Rak’ta and Chameleons have arrived above!

Arno finishes up the poultice, and takes another once over at the leg: the rabbit’s leg had been badly wounded, but with the care you’ve just applied, Arno’s pretty sure he’s gonna keep that leg! (Arno has surely earned the respect of Fiver for saving his leg, and it looks as though Shin is also impressed with the Changeling. Ril remains unmoved.)

Bluurg wanders back to the group, rubbing his head. He perks up a bit when he notices Arno, and rather falls over himself greeting you. Rax waves him back, and leans in to talk quietly and quickly to Oak and Arno, “Now, I know we got off on the wrong foot, but I wasss curiousss….will you be telling za Captain about our little missunderssstanding? Or isss zat sssomething we can keep between usss?”

[Rax the Rambunctious is wondering if you’ll downplay that whole “tried to kill you” thing for him]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Oak walks towards Rax, joining him with Arno. He lifts the big axe off his shoulder and holds it out, close enough to Rax that he can inspect it, but not close enough that it looks like it's going to touch the smaller lizardman.

"See this axe, Rax." Oak says in a low voice, "A demon made it for me. Strong too." He flips it over a few times, letting the silence hold and he looks down at the axe.

"I ain't have nothing to tell the captain. Way I see it, you tried to get us once. You failed." Oak lifts the axe back up to rest on his shoulder. "Me, I managed to get a demon to forge me an axe."

Oak smiles, showing pointy teeth in a clear attempt of intimidation. "There be something you should remember if the thought ever pops in your head to take a second shot." Another pause. "I don't fail."

OOC:I don't know if you wanted one or not, but this really feels like a great place to do an intimidation roll, even if you didn't need it. :)

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Don't Fuck with Us

1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    OOC:That one needs an inspiration use. I'm not content with a low roll here (and am going to be so pissed if it happens again)

Edit: That's more like it Geth.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for No Really

1d20+3 22 [1d20=19]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    #73 is still in bear form, right? Not sure I wanted that info to be tipped just yet

Arno looks up from the patient, now stable. "I said before, your not the first person to want to kill me, though I hope after all we've been through we can bury the hatchet. And I'd appreciate a good word saying the Wild Bunch was instrumental in getting that medallion we needed to get the treasure. And it would be nice to have Rax the Reliable watching our backs in the politics of the ship."

Hearing the rest start to arrive, "Now, lets load up as many people as we can on these ships, before this island/whale/demon ship finally eats us/blows up/sinks. I'll be honest, kinda looking forward to finding out what that looks like." Arno whistles to Strike and the rest, directing them down to the ships.

• Options
    OOC: #73 does indeed remain in Bearman form for the moment (I made an edit to the previous post!) His presence probably does a bit to assist Oak’s highly successful efforts at spooking the fuck out of Rax and company.

Rax stares right back up at Oak. This Rak’ta has weathered hard years, and seen things that would make most men cower and flee. The old lizard tries to beat Oak’s unflinching stare…but he eventually cracks, and looks away from the quiet steel resolve of the Shifter (this does not go unnoticed, among the Fox Gang).

Rax sheepishly begins to rub the frill at the back of his neck, attempting to seem contrite. “Alright….yeah, yeah, you made your point. I, ummm…appreciate it, Oak.” That last moment may have been genuine, but it’s always hard to tell with Rax. He stops to appreciate your new weapon once more, “That’s a helluva axe, by the way. I’d assssk how Evvdia issss, but frankly I don’t want to hear about it. Godawful fiend can *ROT*”

Rax turns back to Arno. “Oh, absssolutely! Way I sssee it, asss far asss anyone need be concerned, zis wasss a group effort: after tesssting your mettle in za Pit, I knew you’d be za *perfect* uzzer team to help track down za Red Ssskull Sssword! It all works as ssso perfectly!"

“Don’t worry, you two, ahhh..three?,” Rax isn’t sure how to approach Bearman*73. “...I haven’t yet met za acquaintance of your new…friend, here. Um, hello,” Rax turns towards Bearman*73 and gives an awkward sort of half-bow. Bearman does not respond, just pants. “...well, anywayssss, jussst know Rax hasss the back of za Wild Bunch…no matter how wild zey continue to get…” Rax can’t stop staring at the Bearman.

[Arno and Oak may find Rax to be an invaluable political ally aboard ship!]

The Rak’ta and Chameleons descend down the stairs and begin to flood in to the underground caves, Strike in the lead. The assembled lizardfolk look out over the ships with a hushed awe. Strike comes up to Oak and Arno, shaking both of your hands and hissing thanks upon thanks.

“My friendsss, my friendsss you have found it! You have sssaved the life of my people…I cannot zank you enough! You have the zanks of me, and of all thossse here.”

“Za plan wassss originally to flee za Expansse completely, but me and za Chameleons have been talking…zey know of wayssss we can take around za Outer Rim, placessss we can go in za Expanssse and ssstart anew.”

Strike hisses, solemn but proud. “I wasss afraid once….I sssstill fear trepidation for the road ahead, but my time with za Wild Bunch hassss shown me my confidence…my purpossse. I believe I can lead thessse people…zat we can go with courage, and make our own path together, united.”

“Hey, hate to break up the love-fest, but we should probably, uhhh,” Shin the Kitsune points up at the ceiling, which is starting to sprinkle off with more haste now…the area is slowly filling with dust, and falling clods of dirt rain from above.

“Yesssss, you are right. It issss time.” Strike gives one more squeeze to the hands of Oak and Arno. He takes brief note of the Bearman: not sure of the strange creatures association with the Wild Bunch, Strike stammers out a “Zank you,” to the new character among you. #73 responds with a giant *YAWN*.

The Fox Gang has already loaded Fiver up onto a boat. The Lapine seems to be conscious again; he nurses a bottle of liquor wearily, attempting to ease the pain. All around you, Rak’ta and Chameleons begin to board themselves and their families aboard the ancient watercraft

[The decay of the island hastens overhead. When Oak and Arno are ready, they may load onto a boat and follow the Fox Gang and the throng of Lizardfolk out onto the ocean (don't forget all that gold Arno found!). Captain Arabella and your friends await you!]

• Options
    Oak nods in finality at Rax. It was settled, until it wasn't. When that time came around, he hoped Rax remembered this moment, as Oak had just made him a promise, whether he knew it or not.

Oak watches as Strike gets everyone loaded, his eyes returning to the ceiling every time a new cloud of dust fills the air.

Finally, they were all loaded and ready to escape. "That's our call. Job finished." And with those words, he boards the boat himself, ready to return to sea.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Hmm," Urixes finally grunts, taking in the crew, the captain, the open air, and almost smirking. "There's a lot. Not for everyone to hear. But it was damn worth it. The rest of us will be here soon. Then we can leave and never have to worry about coming back. Might want to wait a bit though. Ship's getting a little crowded and that problem might just solve itself very shortly. I'd dare say we'll have reason to celebrate."

Turning to take a longer look at the crew, he doesn't offer much in the way of words, but plenty of scowls. If the captain had to stick her neck out for him, Urixes would be sure the crew knew he had her back.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Intimidation Check

Intimidation Check:
    1d20+6 22 [1d20=16]

• Options
    Arno smiles at Rax. "I think things are only going to get more fun. Oh, this is 73, so named because that is the number of demons they've defeated...shh, it's okay, everyone embellishes a bit, just follow my lead...who we saved from the fiend. I think some sort of cycle got broken, she seemed bored and wanted change, but we'll see how it shakes out. Hopefully I don't get something trying to burst out of my stomach again, that was unpleasant. "

As the navigate out onto the open water, Arno shows Oak the small chest of gold. "So, found this hiding about. Thought I'd share with the rest of the bunch, but wanted to check if you are okay with giving 73 a share. Give them some clothes and gear. Oh, and 73, sorry, I didn't ask yet, do you favor a gender? And do you have anything you want to specialize in? Like to fight, like spells, like learning things? If you're any good at sewing, I've got some ideas for micro-griffon outfits."

• Options
    Oak's eyes widen as Arno shows him a large portion of gold. "Arno, ya found it. Ya get to decide what you do with it."

Oak glances over his shoulder, "Though, ya should do it in private whatever it is. I'd rather not have to fight through them on the ship that'll be content to take it from ya."

• Options
    Arno hides the loot back in their pack, points at self, and goes "Yeah, pirate! I know how to hide treasure."

• Options
    [THE WHISPERED CURSE]

Urixes finds those trash-talking the Wild Bunch in the crowd, one by one, and turns towards each of them in turn, giving them the Warlock’s full, undivided attention. Every hissing, glaring man and woman falls dead silent when his Tiefling glare lands among them, putting down their heads and hiding behind cloaks and masts, or pretending to lean over railings. Their dissent quiets…for now.

Behind him, Urixes hears a portion of the crowd that chuckles and quietly cheers on your effort, “Lord-a-da-Deep…you *see* what I told you?...He’s the last one of em’ in a scrap, but he’s the last one you’d wanna fuck with too, and I’ll tell you, *I* saw the Oak straight-up…”

Urixes and Jack are distracted by a sudden call out from the crew, and a sight off the shore of Villam: the hidden boats are emerging out onto the ocean. All of them. You can just make out the Fox Gang taking the lead, headed right this way…

[OFF THE COAST OF VILLAM]

Rax growls, and thanks Arno once again, but genuinely this time. “Zank you…you did not have to ssshare zat, but I appreciate zat you did. The Cycle….*hmmmph*. If Evvdia hasss truly fucked off….well, *I’ll* believe it when I sssee it.”

Rax turns one last time at Arno’s talk of the stomach parasite before boarding. With a mischievous grin, the Rak’ta pulls up a section of his leather armor to reveal to Arno his belly: right across the middle sits a long, vertical scar among the scales. “Gotta be careful, what you eat and drink out here, eh?”, the old Lizard opines, before waving back to you once over his shoulder, and jumping aboard his vessel to depart.

As you all row away, following behind the Fox Gang and the Lizardfolk, Bearman begins to cough and rub his paws together (he was *giddy* at the prospect of lying about being a Demonslayer; maybe *worryingly* so). #73 growls thoughtfully at Arno’s questions, and thinks for a while before responding just loud enough for Oak and Arno to hear among all the boats:

“Thank you guys…it means *A LOT* to me. Ummm, I don’t know what I favor yet, Arno…gender didn’t really mean anything where I came from, it was all just a bunch of people like me, and then Bruce, and Evvdia. It’s part of what I want to learn about out here! I just know…I like *people*, I kinda, *ENVY* them…I like learning things about them! All the things! And…I don’t want to just be #73 anymore,” Bearman lolls his head, first at Arno, then at Oak. “And I like you guys! I dunno…,” #73 turns towards Arno (it looks as though the Bearman thinks his answer has disappointed you), “Did any of that…help?”

Oak and Arno see the Whispered Curse, looming overhead. A holler comes out from some of the crew, as they recognize you approach, and move to drop down a rope ladder…

[DM NOTE: #73 is a pure, sweet, innocent child who will learn it all from *you*, mom and dad! Depending on the way you choose to utilize them aboard ship, the way you treat them, and the victories or failures they see you endure, #73 will eventually choose a gender (or maybe not!), a “permanent” appearance, a class disciple (or many!), and a life’s goal. Consider him like an NPC you can boss around who I control (but who, unlike Mister Fusspot, will likely not escort you into many/any battles, and who you may eventually lose agency over, to a full or partial degree.

Also, for expediency sake, let’s say treating #73 to a full, classy arming and some nice duds the next time you get to a proper town will cost about 100 GP (in the meantime, they can probably borrow something from the Quartermaster for a while…), leaving Arno to graciously split 525 GP to each member of the Wild Bunch! ]

Conclusion to the Island of Villlam incoming, after which you’re all getting your asses hauled into the Captain’s Office for a nice long chat (Captain Ari wants to know what the hell just went on. She’s also ready to present you with the Wild Bunch’s next challenge, and provide you with some familiar assistance for your next assignments…]

• Options
    edited February 2021
    [VILLAM’S END]

Arno, Oak, and the Bearman climb the ladder aboard the ship. Arno and Oak are greeted with mostly welcome cheers and warm looks (by maybe half of the crew: the other half turns away, wanting nothing to do with you all, and afraid of getting in trouble for saying so…)

Then Bearman comes aboard ship. Silence sits along every deck, and mouths hang openly agape. No one here seems to have seen anything like #73 before. The silence remains for a long, long while, before a Crewman, just come aboard deck from below, takes slow note of the situation, and the Wild Bunch, and then Bearman with them, and loudly proclaims, “Oh,-of-fucking-course!”

Captain Arabella rolls her eyes and shakes her head. She immediately gets Oak and Arno’s attention. “You two! Here! Now!…uhh, that, too, is it gonna bite us?” Captain Ari doesn’t approach the #73, and seems highly wary of him. “*YOU*!” Captain Ari points at Rax and the Fox Gang as they come aboard, celebrating with their fellows. “*GET TO THE GALLEY, NOW!* I’ll deal with you later…”, here she points at a quickly departing Rax, who pretends he hadn’t heard her.

Before any of you can give an answer, you hear a call come out from the boats below:

[URIXES] feels compelled to look over the side. The lizardfolk boats are beginning to depart from here, and are drifting to the South…they form the shape of a spear in the water. One remains at the divergence out of the cave, guiding them: Urixes see that it is STRIKE standing there on the bow of his ship, guiding the Rak’Ta and the Chameleons out, using his quarterstaff to direct the traffic of the boats. For a moment you both catch each other’s eyes…when he notices, STRIKE lifts his quarterstaff a mite taller, and *bows* his head towards Urixes. Then, he reverently goes back to the task of guiding his people out…

[JACK] can’t help but look at what he’d done, surveying the island with a *wince* as he saw the smoke plumes build, and the trees begin to wither and fall everywhere in the Elwood. But something strange…with his Wolf’s sight, off in the distance just among the decaying trees, Jack makes out a familiar sight. Is that…Ilmater?

The strange man stands, still wrapped in rags, watching the ships depart off the South Coast. He sees Jack notice him, in the far distance, and waves once smiling. Jack hears a small voice in his head, The wolves have *escaped* this place.; I guided them to safety. They recognize the Strong Lone Wolf. They *miss* you…but they respect your decision. Then, the strange man disappears in to the trees with one final wave.

[ARNO] has missed the Whispered Curse, but all the same finds themselves unable to look away from the departure of the lizardfolk crafts. Rak’ta and Chameleons share and mingle between the closely sailing boats. Rak’ta teach the Chameleons the use of their Harpoons, while the Chameleons occasionally morph into Crocodiles, to help bring in nearby prey.

Arno sees a small clutch of Lizards, fresh and new among one of the boats: these must be eggs who survived where Strike’s did not. They see Arno looking down and wave and clap up at them…other Rak’ta and Chameleons take note and look up of the commotion, and begin to point up at Arno, and slowly chatter between themselves, (they whisper and begin to build the legend, of the One Who Walked Amongst…)

[DM NOTE: Arno is now able to convincingly pass as either a full-fledged Rak’Ta or Chameleon, to anyone except those with Truesight, *or* the most keen (or informed) of observers. In addition, Arno has learned the following ability:
    Change Shape: (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). Arno magically polymorphs into a crocodile, remaining in that form for up to 1 hour. It can revert to its true form as a bonus action. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Bite (when Croc): Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, or 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage in crocodile form. If Arno is in crocodile form and the target is a Large or smaller creature, the target is grappled (escape DC 12). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and Arno can't bite another target. If Arno reverts to its true form, the grapple ends.

[OAK] just finds himself happy to be back aboard ship. He looks around at the old hull, and breathes deep of the sea air…..ahhh. He could sense the discomfort in some of the crew, but at this point it didn’t even really bother him: he figured after what they’d been through, any of the sore who needed sorted out, him and the Wild Bunch would be up to the task. Oak notices that some of the newer Rak’ta, faces which you didn’t remember except from the village, are saying goodbye right now to members of the crew: a good bunch of them, maybe twenty in all, take to the sides of the ship, and *DIVE* down into the waters, swimming to meet the boats of their brethren as they depart this place.

Captain Arabella sees something in Oak’s eyes as he assesses the state of the Curse. “Yeah…you’ve got it…you’re figuring it out, aren’t you?” The Captain says, ruefully. “Looks like you’ve been putting that book to some good use. I’m glad.”

[THE END OF VILLAM]

Before she can say anything else, the bell begins to *PEAL* out loudly along the ship, but this time there is a different cadence: it’s not the signal for a sighting, it’s the signal for an emergency.

The island of Villam has exponentially begun to smoke and quake…the waves are growing bigger and darker around you, and begin to push and pull at your ship and at the rafts of the Rak’ta. What sounds like a piercing whistling, which grows louder and louder, begins to build in the distance…eventually, the whole of the crew are holding their hands over their ears. It seems to grow until it seems like it can’t suddenly continue without driving you all *MAD*…and then, there is a bright *FLASH* of light, and the island collapse completely into the water

kwj1u0da8phf.png

As it falls, and the unnerving pitch of the whistle begins to fade, the entire crew sees a bizarre sight. Among the sinking waves and white toil, the sight of the island is, for a brief moment, replaced with the sight of a happily floppin gigantic fish, and the sound of the whistle is replaced by the eerie call of a celestial whale, beautiful but haunting

gf9ym2noq34k.png

The crew of the Curse and the lizardfolk on their crafts bear witness to the strange sight together, most with a reverence. Pirates push hats to their hearts, and the religious say prayers. The island was just gone now, and with it a strange vision had emerged: but what did it mean?

As the crew of the Curse begin to whisper and gossip amongst themselves, the shock finally having worn off, Captain Arabella gets the attention of the Wild Bunch through the din, “My office. Now. Conrad?” The first mate stands nearby, and ready. “Tell them to pull up anchor, and get us out of this place…”

Weaving your way through the crowds behind Captain Ari, you soon arrive at her office. Sighing *DEEPLY*, the Captain kicks her feet up onto the desk, places her hands behind her head, and stares up at the Wild Bunch. “Urixes *told* me this was gonna be good. Well? Tell me,” she finally asks. “What in the *fuck* just happened out there?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The smell of the sea was more pleasant than Oak had remembered it ever being. The creak of the floorboards as they walked, the shifting of the ship on water, all sensations that he had grown to know but hadn't realized how strongly he missed until they set foot back in the boat. They hadn't been gone all that long, he had been on shore leaves longer than this, but what they had gone through during their week had cemented his love of the sea.

When the island disappeared, he hadn't been surprised. They had figured something like this would happen. Didn't make it any less of a sight though. But then the call came he knew to expect.

"My office. Now."

As he started for the captain's quarters, he also realized something else. While they had been off the ship, he had been free to make all his own decisions. And for the first time in his life, he had enjoyed it, to the point where having to March into the Captain's office almost felt a bit constructive.

So, it was that feeling in him that caused him to react how he did when the Captain asked what had happened. The shifter started laughing, a deep growling chuckle. "No disrespect Cap'n. But.....are you sure you really want to know?"

AustinP0027 on