As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 43- Pirate Haven of Chaff

1394042444584

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    After a long day of swabbing decks, running supplies, and other deckhandly things, Urixes makes his way down to the cool and quiet of the Orlop Deck, ready to reconvene and figure out how to start unraveling some of these threads.

    "I think those new chameleons are gonna work out fine," he says, settling down on a barrel, "In fact they'll probably be running the decks by the end of the season. Hey Jack, remember that sailor you shot with a ... harpoon, was it? He's made it his whole personal brand now. Won't shut up about it. Who knew that nearly taking off his arm would leave such a big chip on his shoulder. Anyway that mouth of his might be useful to us. There's got to be some valuable information somewhere in all that gossip. If we want something spread, just say it anywhere within thirty feet of him and it'll be across the ship by midday."

    As he sits with the group, he holds his recovered scepter in his hands, running his fingers over the red and gold filigree. He could remember the way it felt years ago to channel his power through this weapon, and wondered how long it would take him to reconnect with it in his new body...

    (( I'll join the attunement party while we're down here ))

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    URIXES grasps the Rod of the Pact Keeper, absorbing small vestiges of his former power from the mere touch of the item...
    The Rod of the Pact Keeper has begun to awaken in the Warlock's hands, after Urixes had finally learned to let go of his ancient grudge with Fair William (The Scepter's full properties will continue to grow, as Urixes comes to remember and put to rest the unresolved issues of his dark past...)

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    At the Orlop Deck

    Arno is frazzled and frustrated. Derbin was great and supportive, but it feels like he'd be that way with anyone, at anytime, all the time. Arno knows they didn't work to their full potential, and it nags at them. Luckily 73 seems to have learned a lot this day. Mostly how frowns mean people don't want you around, and that long, unblinking stares tend to be offputting, but it is progress. Arno thinks 73 is likely more in tune with actual communication between sentients. And also far less likely to lick people on a whim. Arno asks 73 about what they learned today, and where they can improve (eyes are the same color everyday), but doesn't push too far. Arno needs the night off.

    "So Oak I think 73 is really...no, take that out of your mouth 73...is really improving and becoming able to maneuver around the ship. I was thinking...no, that's not a toy 73...I was thinking 73 could tag along with you and keep an eye out for the mischief makers. I've been teaching them, and feel they are developing...that does not go there 73, and Jack stop encouraging them, you know better...developing a keen eye. I have some personal work to focus on tonight, though I'll touch base with Rax tomorrow...73 ! That, oh, nevermind, that's okay actually."

    After the meeting

    Arno heads to see Refi. "Hi, sorry about today, I know I didn't show my best work. But I am serious about being a ships wheel, and was hoping I could borrow some of your notes and instruments to study this evening. I want to show I can handle this job, and am willing to study until I've burned through every candle on the ship, if you will let me."

    Arno wants to do better. Hoping some extra study will net a bonus for tomorrow's work on the wheel. Also, I kind of feel that for a charismatic person, a person who hates them would take a lot of their focus and effort to try and turn that around.

    Also, I feel a bit attacked in the NPC discussion with Bern. And on an unrelated note, is there a large tank of seawater on the Curse that would be conducive to holding a Icthyosaur? Asking for a friend.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak looks 73 up and down and is silent for a moment. "Aye, 73, you can come with me. Mind yourself, though. We ain't exactly sneaking' about but we ain't trying to draw attention to ourselves either."

    "I'd say act natural but that ain't fair, ya ain't been on a ship before. Stick close and maybe I can teach ya something's as we're on the lookout fer trouble."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OFFICER'S QUARTERS-LATER

    Arno find Refi laying restlessly on her top bunk in the Officer's Quarters, a wet rag drooped across her forehead. The Gnome seems a bit thrown off that you were brazen enough to come see her in person: her nostrils flare and brow furrow, but she says nothing as Arno makes your case.

    Taking in Arno's plea with simmering annoyance, Refi seems to be searching for a pithy response... but after awhile, either due to the heat-headache, or possibly the surprise you've just given her, she simply rolls back over in her bed, putting her back to you.

    For a long time, Arno hears and sees nothing. Then, just as you've decided she's just going to pretend to sleep and maybe it's best you leave, a small, gnarled hand pops out over the rail of the bed, holding a weather beaten notebook, overflowing with bookmarks and addendums. Refi shakes it a few times, a clear sign that Arno should take it from her.

    "Here...you can, look *that* over. Go use it tonight, up on deck. See what you can tell me about it in the morning, if anything. And don't you go losing it, you hear me? It's irreplaceable." The hand retreats as Arno take the [Star Map Notebook]. "Now, go away. I have the biggest headache..."

    [Arno has been leant the [Star Map Notebook], an astronomical attempt at charting the Expanse! Arno, please make a Nature or Arcana Check to attempt to make sense of the handwritten, highly self-referential notebook under the stars tonight (DC 14)! In addition , please make a Perception Check to see if you notice peculiar something about the notebook text itself (DC 11)...
    This notebook is full of beautifully crafted handwriting, poetical and holy references, and song lyrics (all in Common) which suggest the author had a whimsical and romantic nature. There is no way in hell Refi was the writer of this tome. It had to be the notebook of Magna, the deceased Weather-worker

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Nature

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for perception

    Nature:
    1d20+1 4 [1d20=3]
    perception:
    1d20+6 7 [1d20=1]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for nature Inspired!

    nature Inspired!:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno was almost certain they had been written off, but then the book was offered. Gently, reverently, Arno took the book in hand. Worried an extra word would get the book taken, Arno heads out. Then, noting the gnomes headache, casts lessor restoration. "That should take care of the immediate pain, and I have some bark that could help if it persists."


    Pouring over the maps and scrawled notes, Arno feels like their brain is about to slip from their head. Why does this have to be so hard! Arno quits. Then picks up the book. Then quits again and thinks about kicking the book. Then picks it up again.

    Then, something clicks. It's not perfect, but there is a movement, a cycle to the stars. They morph and change out here. Maybe this could make sense.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Refi the Gnome rolls over and is snoring, before it occurs to her to thank Arno for the healing of her pounding forehead. But you think, maybe she was still awake when you left...

    ---

    Arno opens the book up in the Crow's Nest, under the calming glow of the stars. The heat is finally starting to abate, and a chill night breeze rocks the lines *back and forth*. The outside is more comfortable than its been all day long.

    The notebook, it's...like staring at a surrealist's self portrait. It reads like a stream-of-consciousness rant, a crazy person's diary, an unhinged and unfocused manifesto....the meaning simply escapes Arno. You almost give up, a handful of times- violently. But then...

    The revelation hits *suddenly*, and the pieces fall into place. But it's so simple! The holy verses suggest a natural and recognizable progression...the progression ties directly to the song lyrics, which *each* suggest a mood and also a speed... and the poems and haikus, attempts by the author to give a rough meaning where shorthand didn't already exist for it!

    Arno stops for a moment, feeling a sudden deep and growing sense of appreciation for the artistry of the notebook's author. Arno senses a kindred spirit,. through the words of the page

    DM NOTE: That should wrap up Arno's night! #73 will be joining Oak and Jack at their job site tomorrow, on the lookout for the Pusher in his Bearman form. Are there any further leads Oak, Jack and Urixes, would like to follow up on this evening, or any further information the group wishes to share with each other on the Orlop Deck? If not, and you are finished here, let me know and we'll move on!

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack tilts his head at Urixes, "Lost his arm? Hmm, doesn't ring a bell, sorry." He gives it some further thought, but his memory of that evening is mostly mush at this point. Has he ever caused someone to lose a limb? That doesn't sound like him, what a nasty rumour to spread of someone...

    He is about to head off as the meet up wraps up when a thought strikes him, "Oh! Does anyone here have an in with the Gunnery crowd? Only I have this flintlock and I'd rather not take someone else's eye out learning to use it." If that thing took out someone's eye it would likely take something else more critical on the way out, too.

    "I figure they'd be the best crowd to ask about it." Thought, "Hey, maybe I can get them on our side while I'm there? Put on my charming face." Beam.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    OOC: Just chiming in to say Bern has definitely told the Wild Bunch the Old Hunters would be impressed if the caught something big.

    Give me a call if someone goes for it so I can apply Bard Power to their attempt, which isn’t cheating, because pirates shouldn’t take note of rules anyway.

    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC:I want to be true to Oak in that he does have an 8 in Intelligence, so he would fall more into the "has experience" camp than "comes up with genius ideas on the spot", so I'll say that Oak doesn't have anything additional to add.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    OOC: Jack gains Inspiration, having learned absolutely nothing from repeated limb injuries occurring around him on a semi-regular basis!

    It feels like months ago now and he may not remember, but Oak *does* have an in with the Gunnery crowd. Once, at a bar in Far Aeston, Oak lost an arm wrestling contest to a hoss of a man named Calvin, who currently serves as the 1st Gunner. He could probably introduce you!

    ---

    [DAY 21- THE OPEN SEA]

    TODAY’S WEATHER CALLS FOR: PRISMATIC RAIN
    Prismatic Rain: Prismatic rain falls in brilliant, rainbow-hued drops. Prismatic rain reduces visibility by three quarters, imposing a -8 penalty on Spot and Search checks. It also imposes a -4 penalty on Listen checks and ranged weapon attacks.

    Rain automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish these lights.

    TODAY’S EVENTS: SOMETHING IMPOSSIBLE IN THE LIGHT…

    You awaken and look out the port window. Then, you have a strange, disorienting moment of trying to remember if you’d actually just woke up, or were really still asleep and dreaming…

    9g58eu0m7s9r.png

    It’s raining slightly out your window. But the rain, and the clouds which produce it, are not like anything you’ve ever seen before. The colors are *brilliant* to the point of being almost overwhelming; refracted as they are across the landscape like a glowing rainbow by the *bizarrely* neon Sun behind them.

    Sailors stand around deck with rain shawls, holding out their hands bewildered. Captain Ari is up on the Quarter Deck consulting with Derbin and Refi. She seems to be just finishing up; she turns and comes down to greet the Wild Bunch as they come above deck. “Gonna be taking it slow today. Sorry Arno, this was supposed to be the day we finally got you on the wheel for your first hands-on, but in all this…*whatever* this is, I barely trust Derbin up on the wheel.”

    “It might cost us another day or two…we’ll see. But fuck, gotta be better than grounding ourselves because we got distracted by all the pretty colors, right? Anyways…good luck out there today!” Captain Ari *winks* knowingly at the group, before leaving to go calm down some rather frantic looking sailors, who seem unable to stop babbling about the neon condensation…

    [ARNO]

    Arno, Derbin has the Wheel today, and it seems to take his whole concentration. You notice the more focused the Dwarf becomes, the less chatty he gets, and the less socially aware.

    Refi sees you’ve brought the notebook back, and nods an acknowledgment. Other than that, she maintains her icy demeanor, and doesn’t bother to thank Arno for the remedy from the previous evening. “Still here then? What did you think of the book? Or did you fall off after the first page?” She turns back to the rain, seemingly not expecting an answer…


    Arno, Do you choose to watch Derbin in silence, attempting to learn from just watching him? (Investigation or Perception Check). Do you attempt to engage with Refi, who looks in better spirits today, but is still unpleasant? (Charisma Check) Do you have anything else in mind to spend your (rather relaxed, today) workday on?
    ---

    [URIXES]

    Urixes, *you* notice more than anyone else that work on the ship seems to have slowed down to a *CRAWL* today. Everyone more or less pretends to do their jobs, while they all stare out at the strange rain. The Captain seems to have (mostly) given this a pass, aware that there’s only so much she can do to push these people that would help, under the present circumstances.

    At some point during the slow work day, you look over and notice your two Chameleon subordinates (Crude and Grit) seem to be conspiring between each other. Thinking you haven’t noticed, they try to get lost among the crowd, and sneak away from you briefly during the lull…Dead-Armed Steve hasn’t noticed, and complains in Urixes’s ear about the lack of work ethic, and how this was *nothing*, he’d been through a ghost rain once, and that time…


    Urixes, Do you choose to attempt to follow the Chameleons (who find this rain a spectacular place to hide)to see where they go (Investigation or Perception Check)? Will you attempt to make Dead-Arm Steve your unwitting patsy to spread misinformation aboard ship (Charisma Check), or attempt to gleam his endless stream of complaints and nonsense for something useful (Constitution Check)? Do you have anything else in mind to spend your (rather relaxed, today) workday on?
    ---

    [JACK/OAK]

    Aloysius gives you all the bad news as you come to greet him at the Main Mast. “*Nothing to do today, boys!* Captain doesn’t want us trying to fix anything above deck in this rainbow muck, and there’s nothing to do below at the moment! We got us a free one!” The Giant grins broadly.

    Zook looks rather put-off. “Well, then what we supposed to do? Stand around, stare at each other?”

    Aloysius strokes his beard. “…I suppose you could, at that. If you wanted! However, as to myself…I’m gonna slip down to the galley, get me a tankard o’ mead…then, *I’m* gonna come out here an’ stare at the inside of the rainbow, til’ things start making some sense!” The Goliath laughs at his own little joke. “ An’ whoever wants, you’re free to join me! Let me know, and I’ll grab ya’ a beer while I’m down there….” The Goliath Carpenter makes his way down to the galley to procure his drink. Zook, deciding he’s been dismissed, goes to slink off…


    Jack and Oak, Do you choose to attempt to follow Zook and see where he goes (Investigation or Perception Check)? Do you stay and join Aloysius for a drink, while you take in the strange colors (Charisma Check if you’re here for the conversation/Constitution Check if you’re here for the Mead/Perception Check if you wanna stare at the inside of a rainbow)? Do you have anything else in mind to spend your (rather relaxed, today) workday on? And where is #73 in all of this?
    ---

    [BERN]

    Bern has seen Prismatic Rain only a couple of times before in his career…and it’s always an experience. He looks around at the Crew...most of them stared up in rapt awe, hands held out like children catching the rain, unable to believe the sight of their eyes. Bern smiles to himself: things like this would drive some of these men away from the ocean forever, while some would hereafter be *married* to the sea…

    Killian walks by on his way up to the Navigation Room: he smiles at Bern, displaying wooden teeth. He stops to whisper in your ear, cigarette wilting away in his left hand.

    “Watch em’ close today, yeh? Captain can’t stop em’ from looking, but sure doesn’t mean they should be.” (Bern knows what Killian refers to: the Prismatic Rain has been known to occasionally drive sailors insane. Not violently insane per se, but irrational, and fractured, and entranced to the point of madness)


    Bern, this strange rain could send Morale either way today, maybe dramatically. Do You choose to stay with Eilibis on the Main Deck again, and try to distract from the bizarre skies with song and performance (same 1d20+2 as yesterday)? Do you pursue one of your current Contacts, or follow up on one of your current Leads (PM me who or what)? Do you wish to spend time around one of the shipboard professions (Charisma Check), or do you just wish to look out over this beautiful view (Perception Check)? Do you have anything else in mind to spend your (rather relaxed, today) workday on?

    mrpaku on
    GlalEndless_Serpents
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Huh, a freebie eh? Hey, hey, hey Oak, you mentioned you knew someone from the Gunnery team? Could you introduce me to them, before you go off on your own..." Pause, look around, inconspicuous as an elephant on fire whisper, "Investigation?"

    "Figure I can get some training in, maybe get in the good books with that crew, hear what they have to say about all this?" He glances around, "Perhaps not the best weather to practice in, but we take what we get."

    Jack goes quiet for a bit, watching the sky. "This feels familiar." He keeps a close eye on Mister Fusspot, worried the little beast might fly off and get lost.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak stands there starting at the colors, and snaps out of it as Jack speaks. "Huh? Oh, yeah, sure. We can go find Calvin and I'll make you known. Aloysius, once I've done that, I'll meet ya back to join in yer drink with 73."

    As they both step away from Aloysius and Zook, Oak continues just to Jack. "I promised I'd watch after 73 today, and given the state of things I'm not sure I want to go off exploring all that far."

    Oak turns to 73, "Not that I'm worried about ya mate, just, this rain gets the hairs on my neck standing out of sorts, and I'd rather not be trying something big durin' it."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern’s had a chat with Eilibis concerning the rain, and hopes she’ll perform and prance about making sure everyone spends a little while with something other than the rain on their minds. Countering siren song and things like this are why bards are brought on as shantymen. Regardless of any separate alliances, she’ll do it because that why she’s here instead of singing at a Eladrin opera house. Besides, it’s a good test for her, and she’ll want to win.

    Bern himself is off to meet with the Buccaneers, wanting to know who this traitor is...

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [GUN DECK]

    [The Gun Deck is just below the Main Deck, so Oak can be there and back fairly quickly!]

    Oak and #73 walk Jack downstairs to the Gun Deck. Calvin sees you’re walking over to him when you get within about ten feet. Smiling kindly at Oak, the bear of a man comes over and embraces Oak in a *mighty* bro hug, clearly happy to see him!

    2spq2f2uinkz.png

    “Hey man! Heard you been real, real busy! Good to see you again! Oh yeah, heard of your friend Jack here already…name’s Calvin, nice to meet the legend in person! And your, ah…new friend here. You *are* new right? Uhh, nice to meet you, name’s Calvin!” Calvin doesn’t attempt to shake the bear’s hand, for obvious reasons.

    The other Gunners appraise Oak and Jack quietly and briefly, more interested in watching the rain out of the ports right now. There are more Gunners aboard ship than any other job, and looking around, both of you realize you already know many of these people:
    Calvin and Shin the Kitsune you should be well-aware of. Black-toothed Bart and Twitchy Joe, (you may remember), were talked out of robbing a shop in Far Aeston by your friend Arno. Three of the Gunners (Yis, Drox, and Zik) are Rak’ta, taken onboard either in Far Aeston or Villam, who seem to be well aware of who you both are. And one of them, Busk the Chameleon, is clearly a brand new recruit, just taken aboard on the last island. However, the Eladrin Aloro you’ve haven’t seen around anywhere before; she is likely new as well

    Calvin listens to Oak and Jack’s request. “Sure, yeah, I can help out with that! We ain’t got nothing else to do around here all day…besides, thought given the weather…we’d try a little something out.” Calvin looks mischeivous as he mentions this.

    As Oak says farewell and goes back up the stairs with #73, Calvin bites his lip and waggles a secretive finger at Jack, clearly inviting you in on something secret. Walking over to a canvas tarp laying over a lumpy heap, Calvin pulls the sheet back…to reveal large balls of lead shot. Kegs of powder sit across the room.

    “Alright, so here’s what we’re gonna do…we were planning this before you got down here, so it’s kinda *perfect* you showed up! We’re not gonna waste your pistol shot today. What we are gonna do, is me and you are gonna pick out a Cannon, side by side. We have the Dead-Eyes back here fill us up with powder. Then, you see those rocks off in the far distance?”

    Calvin points out the port hole: Jack can see what he’s pointing at, but it’s hard to keep visual track of…it’s like…chasing after-images in the corner of your eye; there one minute, but gone the very second you try to focus on it.

    “We’re gonna try to *nail* those rocks off in the distance. They look like, what, vertical stacks, maybe twelve feet tall? Well, I’m thinking that in this rain, we nail one of those rocks dead on? Look like a *GODDAMN* fireworks show.”

    “Hey, how come he gets to go first? He en’t even work here!” The Eladrin you didn’t recognize, Aloro, looks annoyed with your presence here now.

    Calvin turns to her, pretending puzzlement. “…oh, you didn’t hear? Jack here, he is an *AMAZING* shot.” All the other Gunners turn and smirk at each other, in on the joke. Aloro still looks pissed off. Calvin turns back to you and smiles, then his face changes and the competitive edge emeres. “So what do you think, man? Best of three?”

    [DM NOTE: Jack, please roll three Dexterity Checks to take the Cannon Shots at the Distant Rocks with Accuracy and Precision. Calvin will be doing the same, in contest fashion. Make sure to add a -4 penalty for the Prismatic Rain! Success may lead to impressing the Gunners, and beginning to develop your proficiency with a firearm!]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [MAIN DECK]

    Aloysius is already sitting there straddling the railing, holding a tankard when Oak returns. “Ahh, Oak! Welcome back, lad…got a drink ere’ for ya! Looks like Jack and Zook were too busy for us lot, huh? I wasn’t sure if your new, ahhh, friend wanted one, but I grabbed it anyway. Left it just over…there

    Aloysius goes to drink from the tankard, then stops himself, enchanted by the lights. “…you know, I never planned on being a Carpenter…always wanted to be an Artist! Watercolor…oils…that sort of thing. But these hands o’ mine,” Aloysius looks down at his massive, stubby Goliath fingers. “Well, let’s just say I can tone it down with a hammer, but not a brush, yeah?”

    Aloysius looks out over the brilliant neon rain, clutching his drink. “But to see something like this, up close and in person? It makes a fellow wonder, you know…” Aloysius finally pops the lid of the tankard, and leans over to take a drink…

    [Oak, please make a Perception Check (DC 12) to see if your Insight kicks in here…]
    Oh no. He’s struck again. For the love of god, Aloysius, DO *NOT* DRINK THAT MEAD

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Eilibis gives Bern a tip of her hat, *highly* up to the challenge. Grabbing her lute, she heads to the center of the main deck of the ship, and begins to tune up the strings over her knee. She ignores the strange lights dancing in the rain overhead…

    [HEAD OF THE SHIP]

    Bern goes to see Calthus where he can usually be found: at the very front of the ship, sitting just astride the Bow Spirit, and gazing *unceasingly* ahead. Calthus doesn’t even look back as Bern ascends the stairs and walks up to him (the Dragonborn clearly already knew you were coming). “Bern. *Heard* I might be expecting a visit from you. So, what can I help you with?” The Dragonborn still gazes to the West. He is short and to the point, not one to waste word or sentiment. A real Pirate’s Pirate…

    [Bern may attempt to learn the identity of the Traitor or other items of information from Calthus the Dragonborn (Charisma Checks, unless you really convince him out of the gate)…but keep in mind, this guy’s an Absolute Pro. He won’t give you information for free, and *won’t* endanger himself or his people for any cause (other than the proper profit ratio, +15%) *However*, he also likely won’t go back on his word, and understands the need for the ship to survive as a whole more than maybe anyone…]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Oak drops Jack off, content that whatever trouble the lad was going to get into was now Calvin's problem.

    He returns to the main deck, easily spotting the tall Aloysius, and wandering over to grab the tankard. He briefly considers whether letting 73 drink is a good idea, but the moment passes. He'll need to learn things eventually. Just a kickstart of that.

    Oak nods at the Goliath. "Never had much of the artist eye me'self."

    As he is about to take a drink himself, something makes Oak peer down at Aloysius's tankard. His eyes catch something that seems off, and his mind works fast enough to get his hands into action. He slams his tankard down on top of Aloysius's, pinning it to the railing. "Ya might want to take another look at your drink mate. Something ain't right."

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Oh Shit!

    Oh Shit!:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Thanks Oak, this will make things go much smoother." He waves to the familiar faces as they walk in. Oh yeah, he bought beside Shin. That feels... forever ago, somehow.

    Jack grins back to the friendly man, "Much appreciated!" See, he's already making friends, all according to plan. He looks surprised, then grins from ear to ear when the man presents his offer. "I get to fire a cannon?" He's positively giddy and pays more attention than normal to the instructions, "Gotcha gotcha gotcha...!"

    He waves to the departing Oak and 73, then walks to his cannon, looking it over before patting it and murmuring some superstitious words he'd heard in the past and gets ready. This. Will. Be. Great!

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Dex Check
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Dex Check
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Dex Check

    Dex Check:
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]
    Dex Check:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]
    Dex Check:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    ((OOC: Using inspiration to reroll the 7! ))

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Dex Check

    [edit] Well worth it mate, well worth it...

    Dex Check:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

    Glal on
    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [MAIN DECK]

    Aloysius stops the drink half an inch from his beard at Oak’s warning. Looking down, the Goliath sees the awful surprise waiting for him, and *RETCHES*. He quickly stands up, and flings the ruined beverage out to sea.

    “Oh, fer fuck’s…can’t believe this. That *AWFUL*, foul ...well I’ve half a mind…” The Goliath growls, in possibly the most foul mood you’ve ever seen him in. “...gonna go have a word with Michael about this. RIGHT NOW. Oak?” The Shifter looks up at the red-faced Carpenter. “…thank you fer…ya know. *Uggghh*.” Aloysius stumbles off, fists clenched, looking to speak to the manager of the Kitchen *immediately*

    [Oak has earned the respect and friendship of Aloysius, for various reasons! In addition, he *may* have drawn the ire of one of the ship’s resident pranksters, for spoiling their gross mischief…]

    As the Goliath departs back towards the Galley again, #73 (their and Oak’s beers still unspoiled) tugs on Oak’s arm, a little slowly. “Hey Oak, I think there’s something…” #73 tries to pull your attention to a Rak’ta walking absently near the rails…

    [Oak, something is about to happen along the railing of the ship….did #73 get your attention in time to see what it was, or make out the details of what happened? Please give me a Perception Check (include a -4 in the overall total)]

    ---

    [GUN DECK]

    Jack manages to get his senses, in the rainbow rain. Turning the Cannon with care, and taking into account the timing, Jack lights the fuse and closes his ears…the cannon goes off with a *BANG*, and the sight of the lead shot and the smoke *cutting* through the neon colors is a sight to behold! Off in the distance, you see a white light, hear a loud *CRACK*, and see an explosion of bright sparks! The Gunners give a cheer!

    The next two shots go wide…*VERY* wide. Either because he can’t get his bearings again, or the rain has thrown him off, or the sudden support of the crowd… Jack can’t ever seem to get close to the accuracy of that first shot.

    Calvin nods respectfully. “Not bad, not bad….you had the timing *PERFECT* there on the first one, but lost track of yourself and expected the next two to do themselves. Here…let’s see if I can show you…”, Calvin wheels the cannon around and closes one eye, attempting to pick out the tall rocks sticking out of the water and show Jack how it’s done…
    Geth roll 1d20-1 Snap

    Geth roll 1d20-1 Crackle

    Geth roll 1d20-1 Pop

    Snap:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]
    Crackle:
    1d20-1 11 [1d20=12]
    Pop:
    1d20-1 2 [1d20=3]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    "What's that?"

    Geth, roll 1d20-2 for Look!

    Look!:
    1d20-2 18 [1d20=20]

    AustinP0027 on
    zekebeauGlalmrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "What did I think? I've been called crazy more times than I can count, and even I thought it was the mad scrawling of a lunatic. I've literally had conversations with squirrels that were less nutty than the contents of that book. I've taken pamphlets from the winos outside of taverns that were easier and more straight forward to understand.

    What did I think? ...I thought it was a challenging but rewarding read that I would certainly recommend to others.

    Though I did have some questions. For the section that was written in Goblin, was that Northern or Southern dialect? Urk'thn can have different meanings in each. Also, the portion about the falling of the Great Turtle constellation, was that intended to be a metaphor on the hubris of the mortal races and the failure in society's priority of growth over introspection?"

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Charismatic conversation, +4 if persuasion skill

    Charismatic conversation, +4 if persuasion skill:
    1d20+2 21 [1d20=19]

    Endless_SerpentsAustinP0027mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Uh huh..."

    "Is that so..."

    "Hmm..."

    "That's quite a story..."

    "I'm sure that's all true..."

    It's all Urixes can do to endure the endless prattle of Dead-Arm Steve, but at least his droning stories have the chance of containing useful information.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Constitution Check

    Constitution Check:
    1d20+1 3 [1d20=2]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is feeling preeeeeeetty confident after that first shot. Too confident in fact, as the other two go wide, and his broad grin drops, "Well, that's how it goes, I suppose..."

    He steps back and watches Calvin take his place, cheering with the rest as the first shot results in fireworks, while the other two do a repeat performance of his own shots. "This mist, it really messes with you. Is this normal for this place? I'd not even heard tales of such a phenomenon before."

    The younger man helps set up the cannon for the next shot, nodding to Aloro, "Maybe your buddy there should go next?" He wiggles his fingers and grins to her, "I know these carpenter fingers can't really compete with a trained gunner." Stepping back he gives a quiet whistle to call Fusspot from the rafters where the noise of the shots had driven him, giving the griffon a reassuring pet.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern speaks with the same terse tone as Calthus, matching his steady mood.

    “Aye, heard the Buccaneers think there is a traitor onboard, from Far Aeston I believe. I’d be obliged to know who. I’ve got enough time through the day to look into it, and no fear of death.”, he squints at the horizon, “There’s ships that eat themselves in treachery, in mutiny. A traitor does no one true any good. Each man has there own reason for being here, but all must serve the ship’s best interests if we’re to stay afloat.”

    “What do you say? Help me rid us of any trouble.”

    Bern isn’t sure there is a traitor, but he wants to know who the Buccaneers think it is, and appear to be on their side about it.

    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Persuasion
    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Deception

    Persuasion:
    1d20+12 21 [1d20=9]
    Deception:
    1d20+12 21 [1d20=9]

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    [MAIN DECK]

    Oak turns towards the sound of #73’s voice, managing to catch sight of the Rak’ta Gunner out of the corner of his eye as he walks past...

    What happens next occurs within a matter of mere seconds. Suddenly, the Rak’ta, Oak, and #73 all see a robed, feminine figure float up from below the ocean beneath, *mostly obscured* by the prismatic rain. The figure floats there for half a second, impossibly undulating, hanging just off the other side of the railing.

    The Rak’ta looks on in *SHOCK* at the sudden stranger out of the rain. But, before he has a chance to react, the robed floater suddenly springs out at him, wraps him inside both “hands”, and *WRENCHES* back where it came, retracting back into the ocean like a whipping noodle!

    [Yis the Gunner was just dragged into the ocean, and Oak saw it all! That was no robed figure…that was the Giant Tentacle of some *massive* underwater creature, disguising itself as “people”! Now, you can’t be positive, but Oak could make a strong guess: the strange tentacle creature seemed to be emboldened by the rain, and even then, was hesitant before it took its prey. Could this be the real “Pusher” that Ari tasked you to track down?]

    Before Oak even has a chance to fully take in what just happened, the ships bell begin to peal out a warning…

    ---

    [QUARTER DECK]

    Refi blinks once, twice. She lifts a finger and seems to be going to correct Arno on something, then seems to double-check herself, and draws back. Looking down in concentration, she begins stroking her chin pensively. “The…I mean…I don’t, um, speak Goblin…the hubris, refer to the “Turtle” you think? I always assumed, here let me see that…” Refi, obviously a bit shaken and embarrassed to have a lesser understanding of the tome, *snatches* it back from Arno and begins to feverishly flip through it, comparing previous passages. She does this loudly, and for several minutes.

    From in front of you both, you begin to hear a chuckle. Then a slight giggle. And then Derbin starts laughing, belly-laughing, his whole *form* shaking with mirth as the Dwarf enjoys the sounds behind him.

    Refi is less than pleased. “Oh, two days…two days, and you think she’s got this now, huh?” Refi turns towards Arno and looks at them, maybe for the first really time. She hands you back the notebook. “Listen…Arno…Magna was a genius, alright? An absolute genius. She was the smartest, strongest, *weirdest* old woman I’ve ever met. You won’t be able replace her. You *can’t* replace her. And, I’m sorry, just because you managed to….*crack*, a few key passages….doesn’t change my mind on that. I…uh, I appreciate the effort though. Good…nice job. I suppose.” Refi turns away, surprised at herself for her frankness. Overcompensating, she immediately wraps her shawl back around herself defensively, and clams back up, clearly angry at Arno for having overshared.

    [Arno, Refi has gone from hating you to merely feeling conflicted about you. Now, do you want to attempt to show her that you understand more than just a “few passages” of Magna’s Tome? If so, please roll a 1d10…1-2 is a failure of comprehension, 3-4 would be an arguable victory, but on a 5-10, you are able to predict the weather with *pinpoint accuracy* tomorrow from the strange messages in the notebook]

    ---

    [FORECASTLE DECK]

    Dead-Armed Steve complains about the weather. He complains about the Gods, who made the weather. He complains about the smell of fish. He complains about wolves. He complains about people who like dogs. He complains about the Buccaneers, who really like dogs. He complains about people who complain about the Buccaneers. He complains about the carpenters. He complains about *bad* carpenters, who everyone knows are bad carpenters and yet they get to keep their arm-wrecking jobs anyway. He complains…

    Urixes finds himself contemplating throwing either himself or Dead-Armed Steve into the sea. He’s torn on which, but leaning towards Steve when Crude and Grit arrive back, pretending as though they’d never left. They eagerly await Urixes’s orders!

    Soon, you all hear something calling over the deck…the bells are giving a warning signal…

    ---

    [GUN DECK]

    Calvin gives it his best! He manages to take out one of the distant stacks, the same as Jack. His next shot goes way wide, and the Gunners around him all ooohhhhhhh in competitive banner. Calvin focuses for his final shot….lights the fuse….and the lead ball *blasts* out. It hits the water at the base of a rock stack, skipping off it, but leaving it fully intact.

    Calvin begins to get in a heated but friendly argument with his fellow Gunners about whether the near-hit counts, with Calvin *strongly* on the offense and the other Gunners calling bullshit. Finally, Calvin relents…grinning and hand extended, he walks over to Jack. “Guess that’s a draw then, huh?” The Gunners proceed to playfully *BOO* Calvin, while *CHEERING* on Jack!

    [Jack is developing proficiency with firearms: a couple more sessions like this, or one really good one, and Jack feels like he’d be pretty comfortable with that Flintlock Pistol he received. Jack has *also* made some friends in and among the Gunnery Crew! Calvin in particular seems like someone you could trust in a pinch. In fact, almost everyone here seems like they’re supportive of Jack and the Wild Bunch….with the exceptions of Aloro, who continues to be stand-offish, and Zik, who just doesn’t seem to like you. There was one more Rak’ta around here somewhere…Yis…but they seem to have wandered off, and not returned yet…]

    Calvin shakes his head solidly when Jack asks if this is normal weather. "Never seen this before in my whole life! It's incredible, right? I'll probably be telling my grandkids about this!"

    Aloro pretends to be still be annoyed with Jack, but you can see a hint of a smile from her when he gallantly sets up the next rounds of shot. You can also see her eyes linger on Fusspot for more than awhile…in fact, much of the Gunnery Crew notices the Tiny Griffon, and begin to coo and fawn quietly, more like maids than pirates in the moment.

    Suddenly, from up on deck, you all hear the warning bell begin to ring out…

    ---

    [HEAD OF THE SHIP]

    Calthus turns and fully appraises Bern. “Fear of death, huh? What’s your angle here, Bern?” He seems wary of your intentions.

    Calthus turns away and continues to look over the ocean. After a few moments, he begins to spit back bitter facts for Bern to overhear. “Years ago. Old Shipmate. Solid job, big money. Six months later, everyone gets pinched. Except *me*, a few others who hid here. He got arrested with the rest of them. Then he walks onboard in Far Aeston, free man. They all *hung*. Do the math”

    Calthus’s next words hang heavy. “Eight dead. Many friends. No brig for this one.

    [Bern, it seems as though Calthus is looking to put out a hit job. He noticeably hasn’t given you a name yet]

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Hmm," Urixes grunts at the bell, but it's a warning kind of grunt, the kind that says shut your damn mouths and pay attention, something is happening. Almost on instinct, he seeks out the rest of the Wild Bunch and starts running toward them.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    Bern gives a gentle, old man smile.

    “Anyone willing to be so traitorous a bastard, yet comes to a ship such as ours is not to be taken lightly. Anyone with a history such as that turning up now has a hidden motive, and confidence they can get away with it. If they think someone is on to them, they’ll come for them. But mark me, I haven’t gotten so old by underestimating my foes, or being unwilling to spill blood. I’m out for justice, Calthus.”, he makes a point of spinning Calthus around, “So, if you trust me as a sailor, if you’re not saying I’m as low as your traitor, I’ll need to know who... for your friends won’t avenge themselves.”

    Bern looks positively electric. His Elven eyes reflect the prismatic rain.

    Bern is more than happy to appear to be taking a job as an inconspicuous hitman. Who’d believe it was old Bern what done it?

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Calthus the 3rd Mate listens to Bern. You can see him look around in earnest for listening ears, subtly. Then, he leans over and whispers a single word to Bern:
    ”Zook”

    The Dragonborn *immediately* looks away and takes out a hip-held telescope, pretending to peer across the strange rain into the distance. Under his breath, you hear him mutter, “Didn’t hear that from *me*. En…ifeen’ he turn up *dead*, you en’t just gonna piss off the Captain…you’ll be kicking up’ the New Bloods, too.” The Dragonborn pretends to look out his small periscope, and away from Bern. “Not that I’d suggest any such thing…”

    [Calthus didn’t just say he wanted Zook the Rock Gnome Carpenter dead…but he didn’t *not* say that, either…]

    Endless_Serpents
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is like a proud mother with Fusspot, happily launching into the story of how the griffon helped them fight the goblins and trolls (apparently the little beast had a much greater role and took down a troll all by himself, who knew!) when he goes quiet, turning his head as the bell begins to ring in the distance.

    "That's not good... later fellas!" He sprints upstairs with Mister Fusspot digging his claws into his shoulder, complaining bitterly about the uneven ride before hopping off and flitting beside him.

    "You think we're find the rest up there? These days it feels nothing goes wrong without us involved..." Hop, skip, clamber!

    ((OOC: I was hoping so hard the name was "Urixes", really throw a wrench in there! :D ))

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern knows exactly who to go to next...

    But first, he catches sight of Urixes running, and walks after him.

    What? You don’t run on a ship. Might slip.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "I don't want to replace anybody." Arno calls out, but Refi gives no indication if they heard or not. Arno thinks of chasing after the gnome, but decides against it. Sometimes people need space. Arno instead turns to Durbin, "I'm not trying to replace her, I just want to learn, to chart my own course and see everything out here. I wish I could make Refi see." Arno proceeds to watch the dwarf at the wheel, noting the sway of the ship and the movement of the rigging. Until the bells ring.

    Looking about, Arno sees Oak and 73, running over. "What happened, 73 are you okay? Where is Jack and Mr. Fusspots!"

    OCC: Arno 100% assumes all alerts that don't involve them involve Jack.

    For how things work, I remember the Curse gives off a bubble of normality? Would Arno be able to jump off the side to scout the underbelly of the ship? Arno is crazy enough to jump in to fight a sea monster, but not to risk getting dissolved by chaos.

    GlalAustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    OOC: Arno remembers that there’s a compartment below the Ship’s Wheel which contains the Lodestone: a special Magical Artifact which creates a Bubble of Normalcy around the Whispered Curse, and protects the Crew from (most) of the magical weirdness out here. The bubble extends…let’s say…twenty feet off the ship in any given direction. Arno could certainly go explore to that extent "safely", but *no further* without risking Wild Magic randomness!

    [The Ship is beginning to come *abuzz*, as talk of the vanishing Seaman begins to rapidly spread around the Curse. It sounds like Arno is about to insanely jump in and scout the underbelly of the Ship to see what’s going on down there (Perception Check; no penalty since you’re out of the Prismatic Rain). The rest of you have just now joined Oak and #73 on the Main Deck, immediately after a Rak'Ta "disappeared" into the ocean. What are you all doing?]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak is about to call out when the bell rings. It isn't long before the rest of the Wild Bunch appears. "A tentacle!" He yells to the others, "Came up over the side and grabbed a Chameleon."

    Oak rushes to the railing and peers over.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    A giant tentacle? This is more like it, he's heard lots of sailor stories about those! They usually ended with the ship crushed, but that's beside the point.

    Jack pulls out the large flintlock pistol, eager to try it out, "Where'd it go?" He rushes to join Oak by the railing, peeking over it and ready to fire at anything big and tentacly.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    “Right then you curs! Get a boat out, we’ll gut whatever took that lad and get him back! He signed on the line and the Captain hasn’t issued any execution, so he has no right taking leave!”

    Bern is already readying a boat to lower as he calls this. He’s expecting a crew of four, and if no one gets with the program he’ll intimidate them into it.

    With a brief whistle he casts Mage Hand, which soundless coils a length of rope and carries it a foot over the boat. Once in the water, Bern will hold one end, and move it around from the other end with the Hand, creating a long length the man overboard will be able to grab onto. Should a tentacle grip it, neither he nor the Hand will keep hold of it.

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    [MAIN DECK]

    Oak and Jack peer over the edge of the ship...

    [In the Ocean beneath you both, a giant tangle of what attempts to be massive strands of…kelp?, *writhe, and rise* under the hull of the Expanse. At the center of the tentacles sits a gargantuan, spherical mass, which you can’t quite make out in the brilliance of the Prismatic Rain (from here it looks like a ship-sized, absolutely huge…*meatball*…kinda?...) Oak and Jack may make a Nature or Perception Check to learn more...)]

    Bern *commandeers* a Long Boat from the Main Deck. Some of the Rigging and Deck Hand crew chain up the boat, and prepare to lower it on your command…

    [Who joins the Crew of Bern’s Rescue Long Boat? He can be assured Killian and Whistler just saw what happened, and may join on, at Bern's command…does anyone else? *And*, does Bern give the Wild Bunch still aboard a message before they depart?]

    mrpaku on
Sign In or Register to comment.