As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Koh Tao #4 takes a heavy eldritch blast...keeps swimming...and is then slowly, torturously dragged to the bottom of the ocean by a dark tentacle...]

(#4 has been KO'ed, and sinks below the waves! Round 2 tomorrow!)

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Edit- cleaning this up tomorrow

2d20+3 15 [2d20=6, 6]
    2d20+3 33 [2d20=10, 20]
    2d20+3 14 [2d20=5, 6]
    2d20+3 7 [2d20=1, 3]
    2d20+3 19 [2d20=15, 1]
    2d20+3 31 [2d20=16, 12]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    ((OOC: If that crit is against Jack I will be beyond delighted :D ))

• Options
    Koh Tao #1- heads for the Shallows just one space NW of Irah, and *Bites* at Irah..(miss!)

Koh Tao #2- clambers into the Shallows two spaces N of Irah, and uses *Net* on Irah...(miss!)

Koh Tao #3- swims into the Shallows one space to Urixes's right, and *Bites* at Urixes...(miss!)

Koh Tao #5- clambers onto the Long Boat, just SE of Oak. #5 finishes his turn.

Koh Tao #6- clambers onto the long boat, just SE of Arno, and *Bites* at Arno...(miss!)

Koh Tao #7- swims into the Shallows just SW of Oak, and *Bites* at Oak...(miss!)

Koh Tao #8- swims up onto the sea rocks just SE of #9's starting position; waits patiently with a net. #8 is Ready!

Koh Tao #9- swims up onto the sea rocks two spaces West of Jack, and uses *Net* on Jack...(miss!)

OOC:
    What happened is this: every Koh Tao who made an attack action this round had disadvantage due to sunlight sensitivity. This meant I rolled 2d20's, and had to take the smaller result. Subsequently, the only Fishman who even almost got a hit off was #9. Your DM had learned a valuable lesson about disadvantage this day.

That being said...just look at those rolls, Wild Bunch. These poor guppies were gonna flounder, regardless, right? Right?...(rolls nat 1, again)... I'll see myself out

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

Oak holds his sword ready, waiting for the creatures to close into range. He had a javelin, but he wasn't going to bother trying to use it here. He didn't want to lose it in the water, and he liked the heft of his sword better. And so, as one of the fish creatures closed in, he held his shield ready to defend and quickly counterattack. A creature bites at him and he dodges, then returns the attack.

OOC: Readied action taking effect here, so this isn't next turns attack.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Longsword Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Longsword Dmg (if hit)

Longsword Attack:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    Longsword Dmg (if hit):
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

• Options
    [Koh Tao #7 takes a bodily *slash* from the Longsword, and is at half-health]

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Irah bellows with laughter at then brings her anchor spinning though the air to slam into the fishman closest to her

Alkono meanwhile waits for Jack to select a target, then buzzes it to distract it

((Irah is reckless attacking the fishman by her. Alkono is using the help action to give Jack advantage. Assuming Irah kills her target, she'll move south to engage another fishman, staying on the island))

Geth roll 1d20+5
    Geth roll 1d20+5
    Geth roll 2d6+5

1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    2d6+5 9 [2d6=3, 1]

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((also now that she's used reckless attack, any attacks on her will have advantage. I'm this case it'll just cancel out the disadvantage they already have, so they'll only get one roll

@Glal remember you have advantage on whatever you attack!))

• Options
    [Koh Tao #1 takes a sickeningly smash to the face, destroying it's left eye. #1 is at half-health]

OOC:Everyone act whenever you're available, and I'll slot your action into the proper spot in the Initiative. Right now, The Gentleman falls at the end of the Initiative, just behind the Koh Tao

• Options
    edited October 2020
    With a duck Jack dodges the net flying his way, "I never thought a fish would try to net me some day... oh, hey Alkono! That one you say? You've got it!"

Nocking another arrow he aims at his target aaaaand *twang!*

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Longbow at #1
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Longbow Advantage
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Longbow Damage

((OOC: I've done a quick fix of the old map to keep track of position changes and as-of-right-now health of the mobs))
    eyffazpu8g1a.jpg

Longbow at #1:
    1d20+6 24 [1d20=18]
    Longbow Advantage:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]

Glal on
  • Options
    ((OOC: BTW, if we're doing physical media, the way my group used to play could be helpful- we'd use coins for characters, where players/repeat NPCs had a picture representing them printed and glued to the coin, while enemies normally just had numbers printed on them so they could be reused between encounters))

• Options
    Oak takes another swing at the fish creature that is in front of him, keeping an eye on the two that got to the long boat. That familiar anger builds up in him and he lets is flow into his swing, angry at the ambush, angrier that they might be coming for their boat.

OOC: Going into a Rage. Attacking #7 again.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Longsword attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Longsword damage

Longsword attack:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Longsword damage:
    1d8+5 7 [1d8=2]

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "hey, Koh Tao, it seems way too bright outside for you, maybe you should run." As if to emphasize the point, a flash of cold encases the one next to Oak.

Geth roll 1d6 for cold on a failed dc 13 con

if oak puts down #7 first, I frostbite #5

cold:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

• Options
    @Glal you got a crit! Roll that d8 again and give Alkono tribute!

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Crit Damage

"Oh, good call there!" He pats a pocket and pulls out some jerky for the bird, "Thanks! I can see why Irah keeps you around."

Crit Damage:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

• Options
    [Koh Tao #1 takes a bolt deep into it's chest...it's moving forward now towards Jack, more on dying animal instinct than thought..then the Fishman suddenly keels forward, falls into the bolt with it's body, and gravity finishes the job for you.]

[Koh Tao#7 attempts to grab Oak...has his arm slashed fully off...then goes down in a chilling blast of cold into the Shallows, doesn't get back up again]

OOC: Think I've decided on some media. Feel like a map would've helped the Far Aeston experience a fair bit, feel like you guys need an on-board map as soon as I can get it, so you know ALL your available options, and feel like it will save us time on all the island experiences moving forward.

Arnishian Rock took me all of four minutes to sketch out between class sessions with my kid's school supplies, and all of two for my wife to compress enough to upload. With some Tokens, that time would've probably been cut down a fair bit!

• Options
    @mrpaku I suggest investing in a copy of dungeondraft then. It's actively being worked on, has a helpful discord and Reddit, and makes great maps on the fly.

• Options
    ((OOC: Is there a simple way to manipulate tokens on it? Having to use a second program just to keep track of tokens would would be pretty annoying with something that's meant to be updated frequently))

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    ((OOC: Is there a simple way to manipulate tokens on it? Having to use a second program just to keep track of tokens would would be pretty annoying with something that's meant to be updated frequently))

((What I would do if I was @mrpaku would be to create a room on owlbear rodeo, pm everyone the link and password, access have them moved their tokens around in that. The do way you can create the maps, stick them up, and go from there. Nature of pbp there's no elegant solutions))

• Options
    OOC: The DM will look into Owlbear Rodeo during his daily D&D reads. Until then, graph paper and my kid's art supplies seemed to be a readily understood medium for the present moment. If nothing else, it's one less website for everyone to have to access right now

• Options
    ((I was purely suggesting it if you were going to make maps via dungeon draft. I still recommend making maps with dungeon draft anyway))

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Taking a few steps to the north to put some room between him and his allies, Urixes unleashes a wave of force at the latest challenger, followed up by an electrified lunge from his summoned tentacle.

OOC: Moving one square north then casting Thunderclap. #3 needs to make a constitution saving throw or take 1d6 thunder damage. With my bonus action I'll bring the tentacle in closer and have it attack #3.

Geth, roll 1d6 for Thunder Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

Thunder Damage:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

• Options
    edited October 2020
    [ Koh Tao#3 Constitution Save

Geth roll 1d20 Constitution Save ]

Constitution Save ]:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    [Koh Tao#3 claps it's hands over it's ears, it's body *reverberating*. An eldritch tentacle emerges from the sea, drags and slaps it around playfully...]

• Options
    edited October 2020
    ROUND THREE *FIGHT*

Koh Toa#2 sinks itself back into the Shallows briefly... emerges, and shoots a Net at Irah!

Geth roll 1d20+3 for "Net"

Koa Toa#3 weaves, bobs... suddenly, falls back onto the Shallows, and attempts to Net the Gentleman!

Koa Toa#5 runs across the deck of the Long Boat, jumps into the water just to the West...as they hit the water, they emerge to throw a Net at Oak's legs!

Koa Toa#6 pops into the Shallows just East of Arno...pops out, leans over, and takes a Bite.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for "Bite"

Koa Toa#8 moves one space East, and as he emerges from the water, he attempts to Net Oak's top half

Koa Toa#9 moves one space NE, into the Shallows directly to the W of Irah...and Bites her

Geth roll 1d20+3 for "Bite"

"Net":
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]
    "Net":
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]
    "Net":
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]
    "Bite":
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]
    "Net":
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]
    "Bite":
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    [The Net misses Irah!]

[The Net hits and fully captures the Gentleman! Slashing damage of 5 (10 AC) will free the Gentleman]

[Between both nets, Oak is fully captured! It will take a Strength check of 12 on Oak's part, or slashing damage of 5 (10 AC) to free Oak

#6 bites Arno! #9 bites Irah!

Geth roll 1d4+1 for CHOMP-CHOMP (Arno)

Geth, roll 1d4+1 for AWM-NOM-NOM (Irah)

CHOMP-CHOMP (Arno):
    1d4+1 3 [1d4=2]
    AWM-NOM-NOM (Irah):
    1d4+1 4 [1d4=3]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Oak roars as the nets cover him. These strange creatures weren't going to trap him, he would rip and tear them limb from limb. His hands tear at the nets covering him, pulling with all his strength.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 Str Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 Str Check Adv

Str Check:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Str Check Adv:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

• Options
    I'm going to need to see the gentleman action before I decide what to do.

And Oak, you should know, I heard fish men have huge guts.

RIP AND TEAR

• Options
    [Oak is *immediately* freed of his confinement. Due to his high roll, he is free to make a bonus action on this turn (although he cannot move)]

• Options
    ARNO

Arno watches the Gentleman begin to get dragged out into the waves by #3!
    As the "Gentleman" gets dragged under the tide, you hear a familiar voice chuckle into your ear. "*The poor fellow*. I do so hope he'll be alright, don't you?

• Options
    OOC: Bonus action meaning an action but not movement, or a true bonus action?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    OOC: Action but no movement. Your breaking out of the mutual nets was very quick and unexpected, but it took enough effort on your part that you can only get one more action off this round from your location.

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Oak huffs in anger and looks around, his hand finding a javelin as all these fish scattered away from his might. One had thrown a net at him, so Oak returns the favor. He roars again, powering the wooden missle towards the fish.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attacking #8
    Geth, roll 1d6+3 for Javelin Dmg

Attacking #8:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Javelin Dmg:
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Jack looks around as the fishmen attack as a group, even their reduced numbers still dwarfing their own, "Boy, they're not running out, are they... hey, let go of her!" He takes aim at the fishman biting down on Irah's leg, taking a second to steady himself. Wouldn't want to be the cause of another lost limb.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Longbow shot at Koa Toa #9
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 Longbow damage

((OOC: Using my action surge to attack a second time.))

He hears the gentleman's yell and whips around, "Where'd that one come from??" He quickly pulls out another arrow and fires it at the fishnapper, this time with no hesitation.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Longbow shot at Koa Toa #3
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 Longbow damage
    hkxncge0xayl.jpg

((OOC: And on that double miss-by-one I'm off to bed! At least it didn't hit Irah :) ))

Longbow shot at Koa Toa #9:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    Longbow damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Longbow shot at Koa Toa #3:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    Longbow damage:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]

Glal on
  • Options
    "Hey, you can't take him! I haven't given him his hat back yet!" Arno swings a scimitar at the net.

Geth roll 1d20 +4 to cut the net

Geth roll 1d6+2 slash

+4 to cut the net:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]
    slash:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

• Options
    ((bah, I was going to have alkono give you advantage again/)

Irah laughs as the bite draws the barest droplet of blood... And buries her anchor in the head of the biter

Geth roll 1d20+5
    Geth roll 1d20+5
    Geth roll 2d6+5

1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    2d6+5 14 [2d6=4, 5]

• Options
    "Wise Alkono, we need to keep him with us. I still need to give him his hat.

Oh, and he knows secrets about our map, which on reflection is almost as important. "

• Options
    ((Just for everyone: Alkono can do a flyby on each of their turns and give advantage to someone via the help action. So feel free to call taht you're using alkono this round, because i'm just going to be reckless attacking))

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Koh Tao#8 takes a javelin to the spleen. It's badly injured!

Koh Tao#9 has its head fully ripped off by the anchor and begins to shoot blood Kurosawa style!

The Net containing the Gentleman takes 4 damage, and is nearly torn through!

mrpaku on
  • Options
    I think Alkono can only do one help action a round, and I thought Jack used it for this turn. But also, Arno just wanted to make sure the master tactician of the group knew what was up and could maybe help.