As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 43- Pirate Haven of Chaff

1181921232487

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Thanks, I appreciate it you guys! I’m hoping to seriously step up my DM game moving forward, now that the election is over and I have a good idea of what “additional help at home” is gonna look like, so I kinda know where and how to devote my resources. I also feel like I’m getting just a *bit* more comfortable with this now:

    - After this next level up, I’m doing up physical copies of all of your player stats on paper to throw behind some plastic sheets, so I can have them *immediately* on hand to check and Expo marker in Temp Information over, as opposed to clicking six pages back/tab-ing over to your character sheet/scraps of paper/staring at the map again

    - Gonna be doing Adjusted Experience moving forward, unless someone has a good reason to talk me out of it. Haven’t found a good reason not to in reading up, and apparently it encourages getting attacked by bigger groups, which you guys might be able to tell I’m *a fan* of. Obviously, the quicker advancement for the party is a bonus here as well

    - Gonna be utilizing Kobold Fight Club in helping balance fights moving forward. Also will probably be switching to Owlbear Rodeo, for future fight maps (as much as I love throwing you guys variations of “fight in a small room”). It was very, very graciously given to me by @AustinP0027 . I honestly probably would’ve used it this last fight, but the password is buried somewhere in my over 1,000 emails, and will need to be excavated out first. Thanks again Austin!

    - I think I may also be getting Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, as soon as it hits the shelves/a Christmas present/a birthday present. The new stuff looks like an absolute blast , and some of the ideas just from the pages of contents has already made me think it would fit in well with some of the characters and settings here. If you have any additional ideas in this direction, feel free to shoot me a PM!

    - Maybe it’s just me, but this feels like my first real, *genuine* attempt to kill you guys. I’m really enjoying it! Now that I feel enough confidence as a DM to try and snuff all of your lives out, I only hope that the battles ahead will become more fraught and perilous! :D

    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    OOC: Ok burning inspiration then.

    Edit: Whew, that should do it.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: As before, bed time so insert once my initative slots in, or switch my target to D if our barbarian has mashed A into the mud in the meantime. BTW, the way getting attacked while concentrating on a spell works is that you do a Constitution save- the DC is 10 or the amount of damage taken (whichever is higher) and if you succeed you keep your spell going. So, in this case, Strike would need to succeed on a Con check of 10 to keep Bless going))

    Jack grins toothily to Rak’Ta A, getting right up into their face, "Hiya!" He pulls out his rapier, rolling the shoulder that got struck with the other's club, "Let me return the favour there." Rapiers are thought of as elegant weapons, but the way he uses it you'd think it was just a big knife, slash-stabbing at the lizardman before him.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Rapier
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Bless Bonus (in case Strike makes it)
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Rapier Damage

    Rapier:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]
    Bless Bonus (in case Strike makes it):
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    Rapier Damage:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno swings the flat of the blade against the Rak'ta, but seems less interested in the fight than the discovery just made.

    "Wow Dux, I just realized we're basically fighting on the island's mouth! Did you know this whole island is alive? I mean, of course you must, but this alive that it actually drinks our blood is amazing. Is this the world serpent? Or it is the island that is the lock on the prison, and it drinks blood to keep it locked? And does that make it a vampire island? If *clang* Rax wasn't being such a bad egg, this would one of my favorite festivals ever."

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for nonlethal scimitar

    Geth roll 1d6+2 for damage

    Geth roll 1d4 for bless if it is still there.

    nonlethal scimitar:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    damage:
    1d6+2 7 [1d6=5]
    bless if it is still there:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    OOC:
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Strike's Constitution Save

    Strike's Constitution Save:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Strike no-sold that attack like a champ))

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    [ Mid-banter, Arno artfully dodges out of the way of Rak'Ta-C...and with a spirited *smack* to the back of the skull from their scimitar's hilt, puts the Rak'Ta down in the mud, defeated. ]

    Arno's words hit the entire crowd like a *brick*. Dux stands, unsure; attempting to respond, but almost stammering now. All around her, panic, creeping out, slowly begins to ensue. The Pirates, not wanting to be eaten, finally begin to push their way forcibly back through the crowd of the Rak'Ta. The Rak'Ta collective, only some of whom are mortified and offended to have their secret revealed, but most...hearing the words out loud just now, are looking at each other warily. Seeing this suddenly through new eyes takes a strange but ripple effect, among many of the Rak'Ta in the crowd...

    OOC: Bless is maintained, Oak's Inspiration is returned to him, Arno hits and non-fatally puts down Rak'Ta-C, and Strike, D, and E will make their move as soon as I can. Thanks to @Glal for the correction and assistance! :biggrin:

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    [Rak'Ta-E moves with both shield and club to put down Arno's heretical chatter...]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Shield Bash (Arno)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Arno)

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Club Hit (Arno)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Arno)

    ["Changer, on your left!" Hisses Strike, as he attempts to step in between Arno and their incoming assailant (moving 1 SW)...]

    Geth roll 1d20 for Staff Strike (E)
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for damage (Bludgeoning)

    Geth roll 1d20 for Staff Strike (E)
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for damage (Bludgeoning)

    [Rak'Ta-D locks eyes with Oak...gives a brief, respectful nod in the midst of battle. And then in the next instant, moves to put you down in the mud...]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Shield Bash (Oak)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Oak)
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Club Hit (Oak)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Oak)

    Shield Bash:
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]
    (damage):
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]
    Club Hit:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    (damage):
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]
    Staff Strike (E):
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    damage (Bludgeoning):
    1d6+1 7 [1d6=6]
    Staff Strike (E):
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]
    damage (Bludgeoning):
    1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]
    Shield Bash:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]
    (damage):
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]
    Club Hit:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]
    (damage):
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Oak feels the heat of his weapon rise, more than the normal warmth of use, but a burning that penetrates into his hands. But somewhere in his had, a red fire burns brightly as well, urging him onwards to swipe through the lizardfolk, to force them ever back into defeat. He uses that anger as a barrier to pain, and keeps a grip on his sword as one of the lizards attempts to bat at him with club and shield. He dodges both, and returns a strike, slashing downward at a shoulder.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack D
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Bless
    Geth, roll 1d10+5 for Dmg

    Attack A:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Bless:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    Dmg:
    1d10+5 15 [1d10=10]

    AustinP0027 on
    zekebeaumrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    [ Rak'Ta-D takes the longsword to it's shoulder and nearly goes down right then...he wavers on his feet now, hands unsteady and eyes unfocused.

    Jack batters away at Rak'Ta-A...it can't deal with his reckless offensive, taking countless cuts and stabs in it's failing attempt at defense, before finally, numbly tumbling down towards the mud]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    al38umawht9p.jpg

    Initiative Order- Round Three:
    1. Oak
    2. Jack
    3. Urixes
    4. Lizardfolk Shaman X (13 AC)
    5. Arno
    6. Strike
    7. Lizardfolk D
    8. Lizardfolk E

    Turn is to @Denada when they are ready! :D

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes steps away from the burning tree, a mask of anger covering up any mild pain he might have felt, and makes his way toward another stump. As he takes up his new position he returns his focus to the shaman with both of his attacks.

    OOC: Urixes is resistant to fire damage, so the 5 is reduced to 2. Moving to the opposite side of the trunk that E is next to, then attacking X with Eldritch Blast and Grasp of the Deep.
    et3j94wlw429.jpg

    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Eldritch Blast
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

    Eldritch Blast:
    1d20+1d4+5 14 [1d20=5] [1d4=4]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+1d4+5 27 [1d20=20] [1d4=2]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    AustinP0027Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Crit of the Deep

    Crit of the Deep:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Rak'Ta-X is picked up and battered around like a rag doll by the tentacle, as Urixes concurrently hits them with a devastating blast of Eldritch energy! It's barely able to pull itself to its feet afterwards, looking charred and decimated]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Nearly dead on it’s feet, the Rak’Ta Shaman makes a desperate, final effort to turn the fight around. With one hand it produces a thorn whip, which it *flicks* out towards Urixes’s feet. As it does this, it also attempts to summon grasping vines, to ensnare Oak and Jack]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 Thorn Whip Hit (Urixes)

    Geth roll 1d6 damage (piercing-dragged ten feet)

    OOC:Jack and Oak need to make a Strength Save (DC 12) to keep from becoming restrained by the vines.

    Thorn Whip Hit (Urixes):
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    damage (piercing-dragged ten feet):
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Vines spread out across his feet, and Oak looks down. The red mist that has covered his sight allows him a moment of confusion, before he simply just pulls the leg out of the vines and stomp them down.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Save Adv

    Save:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    Save Adv:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Looking mightly pleased with himself Jack is caught off guard by the sudden explosion of flora beneath him, kicking at the vines trying to snare his legs, "Hey, leggo!"

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Strength Save
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Advantage

    Strength Save:
    1d20-1 5 [1d20=6]
    Advantage:
    1d20-1 10 [1d20=11]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Suddenly, you are all knocked completely off your feet, as the *WHOLE WORLD* seems to lift itself up at once, and then suddenly *DROP*. There is moment of paralyzed shock for everyone afterwards. That was definitely not the Spinosaurus, not a mere earthquake...it was as though the island had just... shaken itself...

    A handful of the Rak'Ta have been pitched nearly into the pit, and cling to the top of the edges. Dux begins attempting to help her people up. Everyone thrown around as they just were, more than a few of the Pirates have been unintentionally battered into claws and teeth. The building tension now fully breaks, as the whole group turns into a wildly fleeing, frantic mob, Pirate and Rak'Ta alike.

    The Spinosaurus was shaken just as badly as the rest of you, but amazingly has managed to stay on it's back legs. It's front half however, went down and managed to crush a handful of the Rak'Ta where they stood cheering on the fight. The Chief and Rax were both tossed off it's back into the crowd, landing amidst the swarm of panic.

    The Rak'Ta still in the Pit with the Wild Bunch pull themselves to their feet, and give each other quick, reassuring glances. They turn back to your group with renewed determination. Feeding you to the Snake has become more important than ever, now

    Glal
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Wow, the island seems mad being denied it's meal. Hope this was a good idea." Arno swings the flat of his blade at the Rak'ta.

    Geth Roll 1d20+4 scimitar
    Geth roll 1d4 for bless
    Geth roll 1d6+2 damage

    scimitar:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    bless:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    damage:
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Arno drives the broad side of the blade directly into the Rak'Ta's throat, nearly choking it out immediately from the force of the blow!]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Strike moves in right behind Arno, his staff *whistling-fast* in an attempt to follow up to the Rak'Ta's gut what Arno just did to it's head...]

    Geth roll 1d20 for Staff Strike (E)
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for damage (Bludgeoning)

    Staff Strike (E):
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]
    damage (Bludgeoning):
    1d6+1 5 [1d6=4]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [His first shot whizzing straight past, Strike follows up on the backhand as he hisses in a frustrated fury, "Ssssstay down! You need to ssstay [b]down[/b]!"]

    Geth roll 1d20 for Staff Strike (E)
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for damage (Bludgeoning)

    Staff Strike (E):
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]
    damage (Bludgeoning):
    1d6+1 5 [1d6=4]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Rak'Ta-E snarls *right back* at Strike in Draconic, swearing a death curse or worse, as he jumps in on him like a lizard possessed]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Shield Bash (Strike)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Strike)

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Club Hit (Strike)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Strike)

    [Rak'Ta-D breathes with much difficulty...it attempts to meet Oak's eyes with ferocity again, but it's spirit isn't in the fight like it was. He swings the club blindly, then seems to almost fall into you with his shield, and what's left of his strength...]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Club Hit (Oak)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Oak)

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Shield Bash (Oak)
    Geth roll 1d6+2 (damage) (Oak)

    [Those you've targeted non-lethally at first looked at you with bemusement, convinced you didn't take this seriously, and were about to die to them. Since the fight have gone on, that look has evolved to one of annoyance...and just now, even a sort of *fear and awe*. Why don't you sacrifice them to the Snake to save yourselves?, the look seems to ask. What's wrong with you? Underneath your feet, the ground trembles, faintly]

    Shield Bash (Strike):
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]
    (damage) (Strike):
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]
    Club Hit (Strike):
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    (damage) (Strike):
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]
    Club Hit (Oak):
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]
    (damage) (Oak):
    1d6+2 7 [1d6=5]
    Shield Bash (Oak):
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]
    (damage) (Oak):
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    e7f4aqbmq1ct.jpg

    Initiative Order- Round Four!- FINISH THEM:
    1. Oak
    2. Jack
    3. Urixes
    4. Lizardfolk Shaman X (13 AC)
    5. Arno
    6. Strike
    7. Lizardfolk D (15 AC)
    8. Lizardfolk E (15 AC)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak brings the hit of his sword down hard on the lizard folk, using his two handed grip to increase the impact of the blow. He knew it left him open for a counter attack, but it was time to end this fight.

    OOC: Attacking recklessly, so if he doesn't drop, will have advantage on me next turn.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack D
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack Reckless
    Geth, roll 1d10+5 for Dmg

    Attack D:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    Attack Reckless:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Dmg:
    1d10+5 10 [1d10=5]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [ Oak leans over and comes down with his full animal force in both hands, *directly* between the Rak'Ta's shoulder blades. The fight finally out of it, it sinks down and squelches in the mud, splayed out on Oak's ankles. ]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OCC: how's strike looking health wise?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    zekebeau wrote: »
    OCC: how's strike looking health wise?

    OOC: Correction, just double checked! Strike is currently sitting at 15/l9 HP, factoring in the temporary HP from Arno's *Bear Totem*! In addition, Jack may use the Bear Totem's advantage to Strength against the Tangle vines, and the Strength Advantage may become advantageous again here for the whole party, very soon

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: What kind of action to break free of the vines?))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    ((OOC: What kind of action to break free of the vines?))

    OOC:Strength Check 12 DC to beat the Rak'Ta Shaman's spell save and break out of the vines. It will cost an action, but you'll retain your movement and your bonus action.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Vines curl up Jack's legs and he hacks at them with his rapier to little effect, then grabs the log beside him for support and pulls!

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for STR check
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Advantage

    [edit] If the vines effect was a one-off he'll stay where he is, otherwise he'll move to the space North of D to get out of the area.

    STR check:
    1d20-1 7 [1d20=8]
    Advantage:
    1d20-1 13 [1d20=14]

    Glal on
    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes takes a deep breath as he tries to bring this battle to a non-bloody end. The anger of the island told him that they were making the right decision, and gave him a glimmer of hope that these ancient evils could be defeated someday.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Eldritch Blast vs E
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Non-lethal Force Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Grasp vs X
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Non-lethal Lightning Damage

    Eldritch Blast vs E:
    1d20+1d4+5 11 [1d20=3] [1d4=3]
    Non-lethal Force Damage:
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]
    Grasp vs X:
    1d20+1d4+5 18 [1d20=12] [1d4=1]
    Non-lethal Lightning Damage:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [ The tentacle rises up slowly this time, almost gently. Wrapping itself around the Rak'Ta's arms, hands, and finally throat, it squeezes, (ever so gently) until the Shaman passes out and collapses forward, rested uneasily against the tree stump ]

    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "please, just stand down. We still need to give healing to people trampled, and check if they have evil extra dimensional snakes inside."

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for scimitar

    Geth roll 1d6+2 flat side

    Geth roll 1d4 bless

    scimitar:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]
    flat side:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]
    bless:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    As the last Rak’Ta finally, still fighting as it falls, goes down, the faint trembling in the ground turns into a full tremor. One by one around you, the Oak Logs stuck in the mud begin to slide down with a sickening *SLURP*, and disappear. At the very center of the Pit, an oddly high pitched sucking sound can be heard...mud near the center suddenly begins to churn and swirl, disappearing at first very slowly, but exponentially quicker and quicker into a black, yawning whirlpool…

    OOC: Treating the swirling mud as a variation on a Quicksand trap. Creatures closer to the center will have a harder time escaping. Failure will lead to you moving 5 feet closer towards the center of this quickly expanding whirpool. Success will give you a firm foothold into a solid part of the edge of the Pit (ie you’re not out, but you’re not being currently swallowed). Everyone still has their Strength Advantage from Arno’s Bear Totem.

    [Urixes (in the Danger Zone) needs to beat an Athletics Check of 16 to escape the Island’s pull.]

    [Jack and Oak (in the Churning Swirl) need to beat an Athletics Check of 13 to escape the island’s pull]

    [Arno and Strike (near the Weeping Mud Walls) need to beat an Athletics check of 10 to escape the island’s pull ]

    avqmebk3b1c5.jpg

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Graaah!" is all Urixes can manage, too busy desperately scrabbling through the mud to say or grunt anything else.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1 for Athletics with Advantage

    Athletics with Advantage:
    2d20k1 18 [2d20k1=[18], 13]

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "You grab the left side, I'll grab the right. Let's keep from feeding this thing anymore."

    Geth roll 2d20k1

    2d20k1 12 [2d20k1=[12], 5]

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack barely gets his feet free of the grasping vines before the ground itself begins sucking him in, "Oh come on!"

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1 for Jack's Never Been Happier To Have Trained Athletics With A Dump Stat

    ((OOC: Is there like documentation for Geth's roll inputs?))

    Jack's Never Been Happier To Have Trained Athletics With A Dump Stat:
    2d20k1+1 21 [2d20k1=[20], 6]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    ((It's probably something only some forum old-timers would remember, but geth is based on Orokos, a dice-rolling site that a forumer made back in the D&D 4E days. It's a pretty robust dice bot. I'll go grab the cheat sheet when I'm not on my phone.))

    GlalAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak grunts as the sand turns into a swirling pit. He pulls his feet up and out, trying to free himself.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Quicksand!

    Quicksand!:
    2d20k1+5 17 [2d20k1=[12], 5]

Sign In or Register to comment.