As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 55- Western Headwind/Monsoon Rains/Open Water

1717274767795

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack gives the Bunch a sheepish grin, questionably clean water dribbling off him. Whoops! He directs his effort into trying to untangle the boat from this mess and allow Arno to pull them along smoothly, distracted by the circling wyvern's change in patrol. Thankfully Oak is there to refocus him on the matter at hand, right, right, one thing at a time.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Survival

    Jack gives Arno two thumbs up!

    Survival:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    OOC:

    Could michael use skywrite to put a cloud in the way of the Wyvern's view of the boats?

    Sleep on
    mrpakuAustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Careful out here," Urixes Whispers to the rest of the group, "This isn't just trash. We're swimming through bombs and those are Greenfire Wards on the walls. They'll light up the whole damn lock if anything hits them."

    OOC: Urixes doesn't have the range to distract the wyvern magically. Anything he casts is going to be close to the boat. He could maybe ask the crabs to snip one of the dead giants free?

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    OOC: Between Jack and Arno's recent efforts (and Oak's keen eyes), the Longboat should make it about forty feet to it's destination by the next "turn". The Whispered Curse is still turning itself around, but is nearly finished. The Wyvern will, without interference, notice first the Curse, and then possibly the Wild Bunch in their Longboat in about half a second...

    - Michael ( @Sleep ) can absolutely lend a magical assist out the window of the Curse by Skywriting something in the Wyvern's visual path! What do you write up there, and how do you place it in the sky around him? The more creative, the harder I'll make the Wyvern's Perception Check to see past the deception to notice what you're trying to obscure

    - Urixes ( @Denada ) could definitely convince one of the Giant Crabs to cut loose a body or two. However, it would take about twenty seconds for the first one to bob above the water, and that's if you moved quick

    - Aloro the Eladrin (a Former Mutineer, who Arno has now set free) will, once Michael and Urixes act, do what she can to provide backup support with a relevant distraction or illusory magic!

    - How do you proceed?

    mrpaku on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Michael will basically be writing elven gibberish something with a bunch of vertical lines and tightly flowing script. Built both to obscure and hopefully just look like a funny happenstance cloud to anyone that might catch a glimpse of it.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Elven Writing strangely begins to etch itself across the sky within the Waterlock, a blackboard of script magically ebbing into a vapory existence above you. The Wyvern pulls back in surprise with it's batlike wings, snorting in confusion at the sudden, strange clouds

    Still rubbing her shackled wrists, Aloro nods in agreement down at Arno's suggestion. Once she sees the clouds begin to form, she takes action: with a few strange hand motions, and a string of incantation she whispers under her breath, the Sorceress begins to weave a Fog Cloud between the Sky-written Letters and this side of the pool...
    8dkw780o4y5v.jpg

    Geth roll 2d20+1 Wyvern Perception (Skywrite Letters w/disadvantage)

    Geth roll 2d20+1 Wyvern Perception (Fog Cloud w/disadvantage)

    Wyvern Perception (Skywrite Letters w/disadvantage):
    2d20+1 17 [2d20=6, 10]
    Wyvern Perception (Fog Cloud w/disadvantage):
    2d20+1 15 [2d20=12, 2]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    The Wyvern bats about and rages impotently inside and behind the clouds! The creature tries to drive the elvish fog away with angry slaps of his wings, *SQUAWKING* with fury! The distraction provides you with the time you need to get away quietly, and for the Curse to escape unnoticed back down the channel...
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Wyvern's Call

    OOC: The Wild Bunch will make it safely to the Western jetty before the Wyvern deduces his way past the skywriting and fog trap and figures out you're here. His call may have brought others. There are about ten-fifteen feet between you and the door now. You have successfully kept the Whispered Curse off their radar for the moment!

    The Wyvern will fly at your group once more, *desperately*, as he escapes the clouds in a rage! What are your final actions as you leave this Waterlock and head down the Western Tunnels?

    Wyvern's Call:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: EVERYONE:
    The Wild Bunch is entering the last areas of this Dungeon. Afterwards, the Whispered Curse will come out into the Greater Expanse-proper. You guys will receive the "full" "Overworld Map" once you reach the scenic vista at the top of the Grey Maw which awaits you. But, the map isn't quite finished yet. Please answer the following for me OOC about your PCs to help complete it:

    1. What is your Heart's greatest desire, the thing you want more than anything else in the whole World?

    2. What is a fear you've come to hold on this journey? Either something you were afraid of before made much worse, or a phobia you didn't know you had that has slowly crept into your nightmares?

    3. What was the strangest story you heard about the Twilight Expanse before you got out here? Either a sight you longed to see... something which brought you to this place in the first place...or maybe a horror, you hoped to never see...

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack helps the boat along as much as he can, looking between the wyvern, then their exit, then the wyvern, then their exit. His eyes lower to the collection of half-sunken barrels sitting between them and the wyvern and he slowly pulls out his musket...

    ((OOC: If the thing charges them he's going to try shooting a barrel as it flies over it, hoping the gunpowder inside ignites. Also, his dark dark secrets below ))
    1. Jack thinks what he wants most is to be a wolf again. What he actually desires deep down is to be a werewolf (the bipedal form he captured Aloro in), because that is the form he feels comfortable in (and it scares him)

    2. He's held this before, but the shifting during the mission has reinforced it further- he's scared of being a wolf, because it makes him realise he's no longer one inside, and he's scared of being a werewolf, because it makes him feel like himself, which means he's no longer a wolf. As long as he remains human he can convince himself it's just discomfort at not being a wolf

    3. His head is so full of old sailor tales that it's hard to untangle what stories came from the Twilight Expanse, but the one he remembers just because of how weird it is is about a flock of three-eyed birds who prey on sleeper's dreams, then follow them around, laughing and yelling their nighttime secrets at them. He doesn't want a bunch of birds laughing at him for being chased by brooms

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC: Oak isn't super creative, so he doesn't have much to do other than keep the harpoon ready.
    1. Oak's greatest desire is having a solid crew that he can sail the waters with. He doesn't need a place to call home, just a ship, and a crew he can trust.

    2. Oak has slowly been feeling the pressure of responsibility on his shoulders. He has an unreachable goal of keeping everyone safe, and each person he fails is another imaginary weight tied around him.

    3. Oak has heard of a moving island. Not like the general circle the Expanse causes, but an island that seems to appear at random in various places in the Expanse. It's known because it always is somewhere that it shouldn't be, but no one has ever been able to explore it and return (though there are stories of the few who have tried)

    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes just tries to stay quiet and be ready with an Eldritch Blast if things go down.
    1. Urixes greatest desire is to be freed from his pact with the Lurker.

    2. He has a growing fear that without the pact, he has no power, and has no way to help anyone. He might even die, which he doesn't want to do anymore. What will he be without eldritch power?

    3. Urixes once heard of an emerald isle. Not a lush jungle, but an island literally made of gemstone. The rumor is that any who set foot on it become crystallized themselves, and the island is home to a whole city of crystal people.

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Gather some gunpowder cases so we can blast them when the wyvern and friends come after us.
    1. Arno's greatest desire to never stop traveling. Seeing new things, new planes of existence, is all they ever wanted.
    2. Arno's greatest fear is letting friends down. They've been called the heart of the ship by several people now, so they need to keep a chipper and happy spirit while keeping other's upbeat, but also the pressure of all the harm caused is starting to cause anxiety. They failed to stop the Dux and Verot fight to the death, an island sunk, undead ship attacked even though they knew pretty kitty was up to something, Edgers gone, Refi broken, blind Zepyer... it is hard to stay the light hearted imp of the crew with all that on their shoulders.
    3. There are Kents, sea creatures similar to Ents but made of kelp instead of wood. They protect undersea forests and have terrible power against those who disrespect their glades and deep wisdom for those that revere nature.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    For a long time, the Wyvern continues to assault the sky-smoke, *SCREECHING* with rage as its fruitless search drags on. The dragon-thing, either too dim or too furious to focus properly, never notices you or the Whispered Curse at all

    But the creature’s shrill call has summoned others. Three come coasting into the Waterock from different directions: one from the North, one from the Northwest…and one from the immediate West, hovering down just overhead as you make your way to the Western door.

    It’s no contest, really. The creature *free-falls* down the shaft, attempting to skirt the ground and make a snatch at one of you! But the Wild Bunch is too fast, and Wyvern is too late, as his face *SMACKS* off the stone brick below and the bat-thing crumbles into a livid, twitching heap! The creature is quickly joined by his friends at the mouth of the run, where the four posture and snap at you all (but are unable to squeeze past each other into the smaller tunnel). Soon afterwards, the Wyverns destroy the nearby Longboat to help relieve their frustration. But of course, by then, both you and the Whispered Curse are long gone…

    Arno is carrying One Barrel of Explosives!

    WESTERN TUNNELS- 3rd LEVEL- 8:30pm
    xau5827pinz2.jpg
    Urixes has already warned the group of what the Koa-toa had told him: flooding, collapsed tunnel, destroyed infrastructure. It isn’t fifty feet down the passage that the fishmen’s tales prove correct. This place has been chewed over and destroyed by Worms. The tunnel itself is a choked drainpipe stuffed with fallen ceiling, loose boulders, and water which runs from one end of wreckage to another along what little remains of the walls.

    You wish there was some other way, but time is of the essence: you’ve got to get down that treacherous tunnel and to the other side ASAP. It’ll be a rough few hours, of climbing and crawling and squeezing between creaking crevices…

    Urixes had the lay on this place from the Koa-toa previously, which is what will provide your Advantages here. Please make two checks to traverse the Collapsed Tunnel: an Advantaged Survival Check to travel through the wreckage without getting lost or becoming trapped under falling debris. And an Advantaged Constitution Check to stave off the possible effects of illness from the water, or altitude sickness, or becoming just too body-tired to continue.

    Arno, you have an additional set of circumstances, as you are currently carrying a barrelful of powerful explosive powder. You can either choose to ditch the powder, and provide a +2 bonus to your Survival Roll when you turn into a Spider or Beaver or something to travel the tunnel; *OR* you can choose to set off the explosive barrel in a key part of the ruin, clearing an easier path and providing yourself and all of your comrades with a +2 bonus to their Survival Roll to clear the ruins. However! This will involve an Intelligence Challenge to put the keg in the right spot to clear fallen rubble (DC-14), and on a failure, everyone will lose the Advantage on their Survival Check!

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno considers where to place a large barrel of explosives, and suddenly realized they are not Jack.

    "What am I doing with this? Who thought giving me a bunch of gunpowder was a good idea? I need an actual responsible party to take this immediately. Unless, maybe if we ignited it under that beam...ack it's starting."

    OOC:
    Going to assume someone will stop the terrible idea of Arno with a bomb. And no more animal shape left, gonna have to survive like a normie.

    Geth roll 2d20k1+7 for survival
    Geth roll 2d20k1+1 constitution

    survival:
    2d20k1+7 16 [2d20k1=[9], 1]
    constitution:
    2d20k1+1 8 [2d20k1=[7], 6]

    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Arno" Oak's voice chimes in from the front. "Put the damned barrel down."

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+3 for Survival
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+6 for Constitution

    Survival:
    2d20k1+3 23 [2d20k1=[20], 5]
    Constitution:
    2d20k1+6 20 [2d20k1=[14], 6]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack pipes up, "I know where to place it!" He practically steps back at the look Oak gives him, "Okay, okay, sheesh..." He totally did know where to put it.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+4 for Survival
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+7 for Constitution

    Survival:
    2d20k1+4 18 [2d20k1=[14], 5]
    Constitution:
    2d20k1+7 27 [2d20k1=[20], 13]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+3 for Survival Check
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1 for Con Check

    Survival Check:
    2d20k1+3 23 [2d20k1=[20], 9]
    Con Check:
    2d20k1+1 14 [2d20k1=[13], 3]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d20+5 Aloro's Survival
    Geth roll 2d20+4 Aloro's Constitution

    Aloro's Survival:
    2d20+5 33 [2d20=18, 10]
    Aloro's Constitution:
    2d20+4 11 [2d20=5, 2]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The going through the tunnel is *incredibly* rough. Jack, distracted either by his nose or his magical shovel, ends up sidetracked and caught down half a dozen side tunnels he has to be fetched out of. Oak and Urixes, although they stoically say nothing, take steady beatings and cuts from the collapsed stone, and both men look the worse for wear as the journey drags on.

    But it is Arno and Aloro who have the worst time of it. The Changeling has obviously pushed past their limit these past few days, and is noticeably panting at every stop to break. Aloro (locked in her cell as she has been), is also clearly out of sorts, and gasping breathes make it apparent that the Eladrin would love nothing more than to lie down somewhere for awhile…

    Arno and Aloro have had a rough journey up the tunnel, and each of you takes a point of Exhaustion
    Exhaustion 1: Disadvantage on Ability Checks



    GREY MAW-RUINED DOME (WYVERN FEEDING GROUNDS)-9:30pm
    You come to the Eastern Entrance to the Third Level Dome. This place resembles, in all ways structural, the same room where you were assaulted by the demolition-expert Keet the Kobold. The Glass Dome overhead has been shattered in about ten different places: even as you watch, two Wyverns float in through the shattered glass, seeking heaps of meat near the center of the room…

    The Wild Bunch has been tasked with despoiling the Wyvern’s feeding grounds, as well as making it to the other side of this place to ensure the integrity of the Gear and Pump Rooms.

    - Everyone, please make a Perception Check to determine the layout of the room as you enter (this can be shared quietly between the team once everyone has rolled)

    - This area is utterly ruined, and almost every other foot is broken stone or wild growth. Please use either your Intelligence or your Dexterity to feel out which stones slide, which weeds twist ankles, and which corners cut as you seek to traverse the room.

    - In addition to making that Intelligence or Dex Check, the lucky soul (souls?) who choose to approach the pile of meat the Wyverns are eating from will need to make an Advantaged Stealth Check to sneak themselves and Michael’s Vile Stew close enough to “apply” it

    - Do you act now…or find a place to rest among the debris for a while (say, an hour), and see if more of the bat-things arrive?

    - Ask questions about the area and conditions, and don’t forget your on-call Wild Magic Sorceress, Aloro

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack's stomach growls, "Think I can have some of that meat before we mess with it?" He could go for a snack right now.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Dexterity Check to Not Slip

    Hiding behind some rocks, scoping out the food and circling wyverns, "Don't suppose someone has some magic to make this easier? Urixes? Aloro?" He's pretty confident in his abilities, but would prefer not ending up as dessert.

    Perception:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]
    Dexterity Check to Not Slip:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    j68vl49w8sdi.jpg
    Green X- Wild Bunch
    Pink Xs- Wyverns
    Jack, in the center of the place you can clearly see (and easily smell) the Feeding Grounds. Smells like...dead Giant. Giant that's been here for awhile, maybe even a bit *too* long...

    As you look around, you take note: massive piles of fallen rubble peppering the room, familiar pillars positioned throughout the place (some whole, and some crashed into pieces along the floor), a handful of what look to be (mostly) whole Giant's huts to the West and South, and a large natural lake to the South of the Feeding Area formed from water pouring through the broken glass of the ceiling overhead.

    Directly to the North, you make out what appears to be a whole building from up above, *CRASHED* down and nearly through this floor. The building sits practically sideways, cracked in a thousand different places. A destroyed balcony awkwardly overlooks the Wyvern's feast.

    Aloro finishes catching her breath, and finally nods a wary affirmation to Jack's question. "I might have something that could help... provided, of course, I have the group's permission?" She rubs her chafed wrists and looks back nervously towards Oak. "Just want to make sure we're all on the up and up. 'Case anything goes wonky, don't want you thinking I'm trying anything..."

    Aloro has a few spells that she informs you of which may assist your situation, but *be careful*: anything other than a Cantrip will bring with it the opportunity for the Wild Magic to potentially go horribly wrong (or maybe, horribly right).

    Aloro believes any of the following from her prepared spells may help: Minor Illusion, Mage Hand (Cantrips); Web (2nd Level); Haste, Fireball (3rd Level)

    Jack, the rocks and rubble beneath your feet shift and shake ceaselessly. You and the group are about five hundred feet away from the Wyvern's right now. But you, personally, probably shouldn't get within about a hundred feet of the Feeding Grounds: the way you're stumbling about, they'll hear you coming a mile away (ie, Disadvantage on Stealth Checks inside that range)

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak examines the room. They would have to sneak up towards the wyverns and he agreed with Jack's assessment that any helpful magic would be a boost. Still, he wasn't sure he trusted Aloro to be the one to cast it.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dex

    Perception:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]
    Dex:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Oak, you pick up additional details from the chamber which you quietly share with the group:

    sfwf0yjeuv3a.jpg

    A. The Collapsed Structure would be very easy to sneak around to, and provide legitimate cover for the Group to either hide out for a while or stage a strategic assault (anything that could drop that far through solid stone and survive must be *incredibly* well-constructed). Anything inside that might be have been a problem would either have been driven out already, or be so deep in hiding so as not to disturb you

    B. It takes Oak a moment to remember why parts of the rubble around here looks so familiar, but he soon recalls: those same barrel tops, filled with explosives, were back filling the waterlock. It looks like twenty, maybe thirty of the things made their way here somehow

    C. The Feeding Pit is clearly made up of dead (for say, about a week) giants. A few of their former settlements are scattered around here, and most look abandoned and destroyed…but the one just the other side of the Feeding Grounds has a recently smothered fire out its front door, and Oak could’ve swore he saw large shapes scamper about the place when the Wyverns flew down…

    Oak, you keep your feet in this shifting environment better than Jack does…but not by much. If you get any closer than about thirty feet from the Wyverns, you will gain Disadvantage on Stealth Checks.
    ...

    OOC: EVERYONE:
    Twilight Expanse Map Complete! Officially to be displayed to the PCs at the heights of the Grey Maw-lemme know what you guys think!

    nv37x5varns6.jpg


    1. GREY MAW- Waterlocked Gateway

    2. CHAFF- Pirate “Capitol”

    3. MT. SKYRENDER- Witch’s Refuge

    4. CENTRAL ISLES “THE TEETH”- “Death Mountain”

    5. SPIRE-WITH-A-THOUSAND-EYES- Spider Community

    6. PLAYA DEL PERDIDO- Unreal Beach

    7. CANTLYN GARRISON- Haunted Fortress

    8. ANTIDILUVIAN MEMORIUM- Kraken Graveyard

    9. HOUSE OF THE RED DRAGON- Fanatic Encampment

    10. CHINAMPA- Kent City

    11. SECUND CITY- TickTock Slums

    12. ABBOT OF THE ETERNAL- Religious Site

    13. BERXLEY TOWNSHIP- WildOne Slums

    14. BOOM-TOP TOWN- Ape Civilization

    15. EMINENT GROVE- Giant’s Forest

    16. BLACKROCK MOUND- Mysterious Shrine

    17. HELL’S GATE- Slaver’s Atoll

    18. THE OBSERVATORY-Knowledge Warehouse

    19. RAGNAR & GRIGMAR- Twin Volcanoes

    20. “EYES OF ARGOS”- Deadly AOE Fire-Ring

    21. GEO-PRIME- Evolving Elements

    22. SLUMBERING HILLS- Hallowed Mountains

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes stands in what shadows are available, carefully observing the area...

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Perception Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Intelligence Check

    Perception Check:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]
    Intelligence Check:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    (( Gonna spend an Inspiration on that Intelligence Check... ))

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Intelligence Check

    Intelligence Check:
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Urixes learns nothing more than Jack and Oak from his observations of the massive chamber. However, as they cross the space, he seems to do a far better job of finding his feet among the stones below. Quiet-as-a-cat, the Tiefling carefully seeks out the few bits of solid rock that can be found in the ocean of rubble as he traverses the room. The Warlock is practically unnoticed behind the two clambering, rock-slide causing Shifters in front of him...

    Urixes, you learn everything Oak and Jack share with you about the room, but nothing more. However, any attempts you make to Stealth around the Wyverns or their Feeding Pit will be Advantaged in this difficult terrain!

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack whispers, "So guys, what's the plan? Someone wanna sneak over there with Michael's brew and the rest of us get ready to cover them if they're spotted?"

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak points to the collapsed structure. "If we can sneak over that way, I think we might have some good cover. Possibly sneak out quickly and drop the poison on?"

    "Though, I saw something moving still by that pit over there. I'd suggest we stay away from there, maybe even hide for a while after the job's done. Something don't feel right 'bout this all."

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    *pant* *wheeze* *pant*. Yeah, Oak, sounds good. Let's, whoo boy, one sec...let's have the poison then take that cover. Maybe take a breather?"

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for perception

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for perception exhausted

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for dex

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for dex exhausted

    OOC Sorry, life went crazy. Back on track.

    perception:
    1d20+7 19 [1d20=12]
    perception exhausted:
    1d20+7 15 [1d20=8]
    dex:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]
    dex exhausted:
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Arno’s eyes remain sharp, even as their body begins to ache. But they learn little more than what Jack and Oak have to share about the room…

    Arno learns everything Jack and Oak have discovered about the place, in particular the safety of the Collapsed Structure, and the location of the explosives…

    OOC: No worries! Gave me some time to finish up Ocean Tables and compile my notes down from the twenty odd scraps of paper I’ve been working from into a single book!

    Current Situation seems to be: the Wild Bunch slowly moving over behind the Collapsed Structure’s balcony (as quietly as they can manage, while three of them clamber noisily over rocks) to climb up and take cover; a Stealthy member of your crew sneaking out to hurl the poisoned pot into the meat piles (Urixes can roll this with Advantage, given his singular keen eye for the loose stones in the room); and then you all hiding for a while afterwards to see the results upon the Wyverns? You can also take a rest in this structure, Short of Long. It won’t be quiet, or smell very pleasant, but it would be safe. Let me know which you would like, but consider: the She-Witch is still making her way towards her goal to the North. Does her group need to stop for rest? Will the pursuing Jared Edgar? And how long can the idling Whispered Curse remain hidden?

    Attempting to be helpful, Aloro would also offer the use of her “Mage Hand” ability to open up the potted foulness at the proper moment, hoping to get the slop absolutely everywhere. Of course, still nervous to step out of line, she’d need the OK from one of you first…

    If this works as a plan for everyone, leave an agree, and Urixes, please make an Advantaged Stealth Check!

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC:

    I'm for the sneaking to collapsed structure and then someone sneaking ahead with Aloro to spread the poison out.

    Not sure we need an actual rest. I was only saying that to make sure we were still being stealthy whether we stayed or moved on.

    I'd be ok if people needed a short rest, but definitely think a long rest would be too much. I'd probably rather just keep moving to chase down Jared at least as we look for the She-Witch, but I don't know the state of the rest of the party (e.g. spell slots or Arno's shifts)

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: I believe Arno ( @zekebeau ) has had a particularly rough last 24 hours

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Yeah, and if they hit that second point of Exhaustion they're in trouble. I'm okay with a long rest and dealing with its consequences with the party at full strength ))

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC: That a good point. Forgot about the exhaustion for a moment there.

    I'm up for what the group wants.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC: I've got 2 lvl 3, 1 lvl 2, and 4 lvl 1 spells. If you all can pick up slack on skills, Arno should be ok. They'd want to push forward to stop the witch and try to help. Just no wild shape or totem. Basically my weird tricks are used up, but I'm not beaten yet.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: Works for me! The group will take cover behind the Collapsed Structure, Urixes and Aloro will move forward to poison the meat pile, and after a brief breather to see what effect you get, the group will move on to repair the final Pump and Gear rooms. Urixes ( @Denada ), please make an Advantaged Stealth Check to see just how close you and Aloro can be for how long without arousing the Wyvern's suspicion (the more time you can take at poisoning the pile, the more beasties you're likely to ground before they get wise to their spoiled feast)

    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC: WAIT, if Aloro also needs to Stealth check I'm gonna stop that from happening. She has exhaustion as well and I won't let us fall into the trap of
    "I got a 17 stealth"
    "I got 15"
    "I GOT A 3! IS A THREE GOOD ENOUGH?"

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: No stealth check for (the Exhausted) Aloro on this one! Urixes is going to be doing the hard part of sneaking up to toss the stuff as close/spread it as thoroughly as possible, Aloro will be *at least* ten feet behind him clinging to shadows, waiting for the appropriate instant to use "Mage Hand" (30 ft. Range) to help guide the pot in midair/open it at just the right moment/shake it to get the mess everywhere, depending on how Urixes rolls and decides to play it!

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    (( Sorry, busy days at work! ))

    "Alright, wish me luck."

    Urixes takes a steadying breath, then begins creeping forward...

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+2 for Advantaged Stealth Check

    Advantaged Stealth Check:
    2d20k1+2 18 [2d20k1=[16], 13]

    GlalAustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Urixes watches patiently for the bat-things to turn towards the far South corner of the feeding grounds, and then creeps out with a *quickness*, scurrying over sliding stones. The Tiefling is daring: he sneaks right out towards the middle of the pit, stepping between bloated and foul-smelling Giant (they appear to be Cyclops) bodies, and taking a final deep breath before opening the lid of the pot and attempting to *FLING* the mess around the pile. Job done, the Warlock beats a hasty retreat back to the group’s hiding spot behind the balcony, leaving the destroyed pot behind. Using her Mage Hand, Aloro holds the pot aloft one final time, giving it a healthy telekinetic *SHAKE* to dislodge the leftover gunk from the bottom, and then *HURLING* the pot to one side of the pit with a loud *CRASH*

    The dull, feasting Wyverns notice nothing as they gradually turn back towards the north side of the Chamber. As the Wild Bunch watches, the two flying beasts lumber your way, feeding as they go. One of them seems to stop and sniff at some of the carcass hesitantly…(the group holds its breath)…but the Wyvern shakes its head, and *TEARS* off a haunch of Giant which is quickly devoured.

    It isn’t long after they finish their meal that the Wyverns, in unspoken unison, ascend back the way they came, flying through the broken glass skylight…

    Two Food-Poisoned Wyverns, so far. Michael’s concoction should hit those fellas hard enough to take them out of the fight completely in about fifteen minutes. Jack has watched the Wyvern’s flight patterns and knows that another group will arrive for their turn at the feeding grounds shortly. The Wild Bunch will take this opportunity to rush their way across the chamber towards the Pump and Gear Rooms. Let’s see how many other Wyverns don’t bother to smell what they eat…
    Geth roll 1d6 Not-Picky-Eaters

    LATER…PUMP AND GEAR ROOMS
    You all find the Pump and Gear Rooms in good working order. The Pump apparatus needs manually reset, and a handful of gears have been removed from the final gate mechanism, but both problems are quickly solved by your group (the apparatus simply needing to be rotated, and the missing gears discovered in a clay bin nearby). You get the sense that these problems were created recently, by someone who wanted to disable but not destroy the place…

    You all meet up as a call arrives in along Arno’s neck, the Sending Stone lighting up like a lantern. The voice on the other end is Captain Arabella.

    “(heavy panting) Y’all alright over there? Couple of the fuckers just found us…broke their watch for some reason, snuck over to us down the channel. There was a…fight, along the Deck, but they got sloppy soon as they got the drop on us. One went down…we’ve nearly got it chained, still livin’, to the Main Deck as I speak these words. Da’other got away though, back up North…thing didn’t look good, but we never saw it hit the water, either…If it get to others, we might need to burn through that “Distraction” of ours…”

    “Spoke to Rax and the Gang not fifteen minutes ago…things are good on their end, and they’re already on their way to the final Control Room. Sent that Tabaxi Deep Lake to keep an eye on them since I had to borrow Ril…the second they’re in position, I’ll give ya a heads up and have them flood the last chamber…”

    “…so, guessing you know what you have to do. Get up that final northward tunnel, takes the pole or water elevator up, and meet us at the top. Wherever that Witch and the Governor are at now, we haven’t seen hide of hair of them just yet, so there must still be time!
    uktqck3a98ac.jpg

    OOC: *Final Trek* through the tunnels of the Grey Maw! The faster you can get through this last tunnel, the better chance you have of cutting off the Witch and her party before they reach the top. Results here will determine what encounter you meet at the very bottom of the tower…

    But before that: you will find the tunnel you come to whole and undamaged, which, as the Koa-toa warned Urixes, means that the odds the Purple Worms may suddenly find you in the next couple hours are *HIGH*

    Each of you, please make an Ability Check from one of the following:

    - Someone make a Charisma Check to keep the group’s spirits up and their minds distracted from the heavy labors of the last few days

    - Someone make a Survival Check to keep the group safe from traps or hazards in this still intact tunnel

    - Someone make a Perception Check to keep your ear to the ground for any sudden tremors or vibrations

    - Someone make an Insight Check into what you’ll potentially be dealing with when you finally encounter Faye and the Governor

    In addition, you were provided with a Fishy Paste by Michael, a homemade concoction brewed in an attempt to “ward off” the Purple Worms. How do you use this strange gel (smear it behind you as you go/save it for an emergency/ ingest it orally/another method of use)?

    Not-Picky-Eaters:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    mrpaku on
Sign In or Register to comment.