As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

1686971737496

Posts

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    The girl again. I was really hoping it was the cat behind it all. No worries, not the first demon we've ever fought. Do you know where they would be hiding? This whole place is jam packed with trouble, the less groping about the better.

    Arno turns to the rest of the bunch.

    "Oi, looking like we got another demon to face. Or maybe a witch. Either way, it's in the form of the girl and been brainwashing the soldiers for sometime. We'll need to free them."

    "Oh, and I should give the captain a call."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes snaps out of another of his semi-trances, shaking his head free of a past life recently remembered. "Wave Rider..." he says thoughtfully, "...That guy was an asshole. Good riddance."

    After dismissing his tentacle and letting Hex return to his side, Urixes rejoins the group. "The girl? Really? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but I thought you were just making up stories with all that," Urixes shrugs. "Takes all kinds I guess."

    OOC: Sheet is updated. Urixes can read all writing now, so I got that going for me.

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak blinks as Jack appears. "Take it."

    He bends down and collects the sword and the pendant, pocketing it away among his other trinkets. Finally, he turns back to Arno. "A witch, eh? Someone you might know Urixes?"

    As he walks away from Gunn's body, his eyes were drawn to the Dias they had found him on originally. Climbing the stairs, he approaches the statue with curiosity, placing his hand on it's side.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "I don't think I know her any better than the rest of you, but never say never. I've pissed off a lot of demons over my lives."

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack examines the long firearm with a shine in his eyes, peering a the firing mechanism, then raising it into a shooting position and aiming at one of the statues, "It's a big-un!" He wraps it in a piece of cloth for safekeeping and sticks it into his backpack (well, through his backpack) alongside its accoutrements. Good to go!

    "Oh dear, another hag? Why can we never fight someone nice..." Glance over the bodies, "These guys were on the ship with us, right? Were they still there when we left, or did they vanish when we had the big storm fight?" He's about to ask Edgar, then thinks better of it.

    While everyone else is figuring what to do next he steps aside and lifts the skulled sword to look at the hilt, "So, um. Are you an evil sword?" Swords don't lie, everyone knows that.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    OAK
    Oak walks up to the stairs, back to the dais where he had hurled the Lieutenant down to the crabs. A whitish-blue glow *emanates* throughout the Ouroboros statue, mimicking the icy-blue frostbite with which Arno had attempted to freeze Gunn. The Barbarian reaches out tentative fingers. It feels...warm?...to the touch, as Oak presses his hand onto the stone. Oak experiences a strange, not entirely unpleasant electric *buzz* go up his spine, and the hairs on the back of his neck begin to rise...

    Below you to each side, the other Statues sit dormant, unlit. From this angle, they each seem to overlook the pool below...

    Oak, Perception Check to learn more, (DC-14)
    ...

    URIXES
    The Pondering Tiefling searches the memories of countless lifetimes, seeking out the face of a certain Hag...
    ...not just *a* Hag...*the* Hag. The one the others serve, either directly or otherwise. Urixes sees five familiar faces in a dark and distant past...Champions of the Gods...*each* cursed to a strange, awful fate. Fair William (you know now) became an Unholy, Undying battery. You, Urixes, with your countless, misspent lifetimes...

    The She-Witch Faye was the Champion of the Lord of Bones. She was cruel, greedy, manipulative, spiteful, petty. The *only* one of the other five to hold a Candle to Urixes, in terms of sheer bastard-ness. She craved power and knowledge above all, but she cursed the frail, ancient body which saddled her devious mind, and wished to grow young and beautiful once more (and *not* just through illusion). Her wish was granted, and she was bound forever to the Expanse...an evil entity, trapped in a small child's body...

    More will return with time as you put the pieces together, but you remember this about her for facts: She hated Rak'ta, and all other "lesser" species. However, she loved flying things (birds, bugs, dragons...) She was a schemer and manipulator of the *highest* order. She absolutely delighted in setting fires: literally and figuratively. And, perhaps most of all, she hated the survivors of the Sanguine Seeker. You all did "something" to her, back then...foiled her plans somehow, perhaps kept her from the treasure. *She* most certainly hasn't forgotten: just *look* at how many times she's tried to kill you. How she attempted to kill Rax...how she *tortured* Reynard...what she has turned Mitchum into...
    ...

    JACK

    JACK'S RED SKULL SABER
    The sword, now fully sated, seems unusually quiet for once: pensive at Jack's question. It answers, thoughtfully "Well, evil isn't necessarily a universally held constant though, issit? I mean, take your friend Urixes over there...you can *smell* the blood coming off of him. The man is *drenched* in it, and he lives every moment, knowing he can't wipe his hands clean of it. But is he evil, today? Irredeemable, *forever*? You, yourself, have partaken in the most *exotic* of delicacies...a meal almost perverse in its nature. Punishable by death, in most parts of the world if I'm not mistaken. You didn't *know*, of course, but the act was done. Now, does one foul act spoil the minute-to-minute truth of your innocent and naive nature? *I* don't think so...*I* don't think so..."

    "Now, *my* first act when *I* came into this world, was to cleanse a sick man of his undying sickness. I took his unlife from him...his *hunger*...it lives within*me*, now. Does this make me "evil"? Because of what I am...my nature? Am I doing anymore harm than Oak, because I choose to *feast* upon the blood of our foes, rather than simply *rend* them? They're not using their blood, after all...not by that point...is what I do really *so wrong*?"
    ...

    BERN

    The cowardly dwarves (Erik and Olaf) have asked if they may be expected to return back up to the Whispered Curse (just up the Northern tunnel) soon; to finally get out of the Grey Maw, and back to somewhere "safe". You can give them your word that you'll all be headed there soon (regardless of whether you mean it or not), *or* encourage the dwarves that they'll stick around until you are all good-and-well-ready to bring them back. You may also make an Investigation Check to look at the enemy footprints, and see if you can tease out any details from what you see (DC-15)
    ...

    ARNO

    Jared Edgar nods his head in the affirmative, clearly happy to be on the same page as Arno. "Nigh-heppdumb! Es, sdekis fron'yu, e MawMaw can't umber-won da bukkit, case, derrowlake bigas'nabarn...Heranidir, pero ferrow bot, ta' kippit narrow Nort, den'trenken chimbero'astara. Iffendaken, eyo lit da Bonnie, ten'do teenydrak, and hep it errystation. Heep-a now, iffen we limbo!"
    "Not hiding, though! Trick is, there's a secret chamber underneath the entire Grey Maw, like the length of the whole Canyon! Big, dark, underground lake the pumps draw from. They're headed down there, there's a stash of boats, and they're rowing North... there's a chamber at the far end, that takes you all the way to the tip top of the Maw. Once they get there, they'll light a signal fire, call down wyverns who've been waiting, and fly away into the Expanse. We can still catch them, if we hurry-I know which way they're headed!"

    Arno attempts to contact the Captain through the sending stone. There is no response. You try a minute later...the same. They're not answering.
    ...

    Wild Bunch, some options before you all:

    1. The Control Room is nearby, and will tell you what the conditions are on this level of the Maw, as well as look up onto the Waterlocks (and the Curse) overhead

    2.There has been no response from the Whispered Curse despite a couple calls: not a good sign. You're nearby, and could head back and check on the situation in person (that's *certainly* what the dwarves would like you to do)

    3. Jared Edgar has indicated he knows where Mitchum and his "daughter" are headed, the path they're taking, and the route to get there. He's eager to save his brothers, but the direction he indicates is in the opposite direction of your other two goals...

    4. Finally, Oak seems to have possibly discovered something strange about the nature of the statues and pool in the center of the room...

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    It's *very* pretty in here, despite the ruin...one of the more picturesque views you've seen on your journey so far. Fairly amazing, too, that the statues are in such good shape...maybe whatever innate spell keeps it a conduit for magical energy also helps keep it's structure?...

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak feels the tingle of the statue run through him as he looks out across the view from up here. It was pleasant, almost enough to distract from the weight on their shoulders. He wondered what this room was for, but nothing clear came to mind. Magic things weren't really for him to understand anyways. "One of you magic folks, come up here and tell me why this statue is glowin' like it is." He looks down quickly, "Watch the pool though, Gunn riled up whatever is hidin' out in there."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    “Lads, we’ll be onboard soon, but if I may, you’re never truly safe until you can defend yourself. What if you’d ran off into a waiting ambush? If you stick with me I’ll teach you blade, song and magic. The good stuff, to get by in this harsh world of ours”, Bern says with earnest.

    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Persuasion

    Next Bern has a bit of a snoop. The dwarves follow his gaze. He nods to them sagely…

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Investigation

    Persuasion:
    1d20+12 17 [1d20=5]
    Investigation:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack tilts his head from side to side in a not-quite-person manner as the sword talks into his head. He's not sure what he expected when he asked that, the complexities of morality have always gone beyond him. Why would it be bad to eat food? You wouldn't eat another person, but if they're dead and you're starving, well, why not? The sword is talking sense. Okay, not evil, then. He goes to wipe it clean, realises his mistake and just resheaths it, walking back to the group.

    "Oh, wait, maybe there's a magical treasure!" He walks up to Oak and pulls out CC-88's hook, giving it a rub and murmuring, "Treasure!" with hopeful excitement.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    [in Edgar speak] "I understand your worried about your family, but we've also got a lot of friends on the ship still, and I'm going to vote we check on the Whispered Curse before we run after the witch. Perhaps my friends will feel different, but I think they will agree. I know your are likely hungry for revenge, but we need our shipmates safe."

    Arno calls to his crew, "I'd hate to say it, but I think we need to skip the weird statutes and treasure and head straight for the ship. They aren't picking up at all, and I'm worried. But, if anyone would rather take the fight right to the witch that attacked us, seems there's a giant lake beneath us. Witch is going to catch some Wyvers out of here once they reach the shore, Jared says we can hurry and get them. So, check on our friends or smash the witch, what's the vote?"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "The witch is going nowhere, I think our friends on the Curse are a higher priority. Plus, how would we leave without a ship?" He's still waggling the hook, hoping beyond hope.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak nods. "Jack's right. If the ship might be in trouble, we need to get back and help em."

    "Do we have another way of checking? Or do we need to run back? This crazy place has to have some means of looking around right?"

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: Hey guys, travelling back from the trip: update to come Sunday night, or (more likely) Monday morning. Feel free to RP or explore the area, next update (unless the group decides otherwise) sounds like it will be moving the group up the tunnels, back towards the Whispered Curse!

    AustinP0027Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    2ND LEVEL-WESTERN TUNNELS- 12:27pm

    ztfhi7spxxle.png
    When we last left the intrepid members of the Wild Bunch, they had just defeated the treacherous Lieutenant James Gunn and his squad of Far Aeston soldiers (save for two survivors, who have fled in the direction of the lethal kobold and the tortured psychotic you met earlier…they’ll probably be *fine*…) After the battle, the group found and rescued a defector from the Governor’s group: the Ranger Jared Edgar, who had explained to Arno that Mitchum’s child Constance was on the move in the hidden lake beneath the Maw, headed towards a winged escape at the heights at the very North of the structure. But *immediately* thereafter, several attempts to contact the Whispered Curse failed. Fearing for their friends, the Wild Bunch chose to return and investigate…

    Jared Edgar *clearly* isn’t happy with your decision. He shakes his head in impotent frustration, kicks over a pile of rocks, and angrily retrieves his kit (buried under some rocks by his former comrades) nearby. Taking out a finely crafted spear, the young man begins to sharpen it *furiously*, informing Arno, “Gidy da hey, dere. Per, segunwidget’ ta da Kip, generdashaou-da-mensis. Dar-or-stey, ma’gimbow dar da’ ones!” He glares furtively, understanding your groups priorities, but with nowhere else to point his anger…
    ”I’ll follow you as far as your ship, since it’s on my way and you freed me…I’ll do what I can to help…but from there, I’m headed after my brothers, with *or* without you lot!”

    While this goes on, Jack is busy elsewhere waving around his hook, hoping to find something to make it spark…well hey! The bauble on the handle is lit up like a *lantern* right now, especially when Jack waves it around near the bloody pool in the middle of the room.

    Jack goes to check the water, cautiously. The crabs are still flustered and wary from their previous encounter with the armored Gunn…several have cracks in their shells, and a few have bent feelers dangling from the fronts of their face from the Lieutenant *striking* them on his way down. But it is *definitely* here that the hook is beckoning Jack to…and as the crabs nervously retreat from the young man for a few scared moments (before remembering their numbers, and advancing once more), Jack is able to dig his free hand into the water, scraping the bottom of the pool, and pulling up a fair few baubles from the stony bottom…

    Jack has retrieved the following from the briny pool…

    x4 Pearls

    x3 Amber

    x1 Star Ruby


    Meanwhile, through the collapsed wall to the East, Bern is attempting to calm the anxious dwarves. The Bard, with his years of practiced charm and guile, finally manages to persuade the meek lads to let him take them under his wing. Gerdie stands nearby during this exchange, disinterested.

    At the end of Bern's speech, Erik nods *effusively*, his fresh face grim and determined, and Bern senses *this* little one may take his promise to heart and give his all. As to the other one…Olaf presents a harried, awkward, *thumbs-up*…this guy is more bowled over by Bern’s force of personality than actually listening, and Bern senses he would’ve agreed to *anything* the Bard had just said (and also, that the young dwarves eagerness to “learn to defend himself” is something he finds harrowing to the point of abject terror…)
    Gathering once more as a group in the collapsed run, Oak takes the lead, and the Wild Bunch heads up the tunnel; double timing as they climb the slope back to their Ship…

    GREY MAW- CURRENT MAP
    v54cvoq4imag.jpg

    Geth roll 1d50 “Tales of Terror from the Grey Maw!!!”

    Tales of Terror from the Grey Maw!!!:
    1d50 10 [1d50=10]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OAK and URIXES

    …it’s nothing. The tunnel is eerily quiet. A steady trickle of water runs underneath the bridge. The dwarves huff and puff next to you, sending ragged echoes along the corridor.

    JACK and BERN
    The waters sound louder than before…more active and alive. You hear the snap and bubble of creatures swimming beneath you, although the echoes and your panting companions make the noises hard to pin down. The smell of fish enters your nostrils and lingers.

    ARNO
    A steady thrumming in the distance, consistent and quiet. A familiar burble. Koa-toa in the waters beneath you…following you. Far enough away that you can’t quite see them, but you can *tell* they’re back there, watching. At least three of them…*certainly* no more than six. They’re *still* following you…
    The journey up the tunnel towards the Ship continues unabated…


    2nd LEVEL- WATERLOCK ENTRANCE, WEST- 1:02pm

    The Wild Bunch approaches this area with trepidation, having been warned by the Forlorn Soldier of a Wild Magic Surge which caused the destruction of himself and his men.

    You all come to a familiar looking, half-moon door. On the other side lies the Whispered Curse. And, sure enough, just as your eyes have time to focus the light coming from outside, you see something else here. A *shimmer* across the doorway, a *pulse*: steady and consistent.

    opnmjqxneahl.png

    The air around you all is *electric*. The dwarves look on with a kind of panic mixed with religious awe. Jared Edgar, displaying less care and understanding of the situation, grumbles at the inconvenience and turns back to the Wild Bunch. “G’sey, beouys? D’sday truit?” (“What do you say, boys? Straight through it?”)

    A steady *burst* of Wild Magic flows along the Wild Bunch’s current path back to the Ship. How do you attempt to proceed? Do you stare into the strange swirl, and see what you can make out beyond (Perception Check)? Do you try to search your magical knowledge for solutions or clues to this quandary (Arcana Check)? Do you think you guys can either run or finesse your way through the opening with proper timing, and *dodge* the pulses (Acrobatics or Athletics Checks)? Do you choose to experiment with this strange phenomenom in front of you? And how do you suggest your guests (Jared, Balog, Olaf, Erik, and Gerdie) handle this situation?

    ARNO
    The Koa-toa are still back there down the tunnel. There may even be *more* of them, now…

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern sings the entirety of I’ll Make a Man Out of You to the dwarves as they regroup with the Wild Bunch.

    Then, he puts his hands on his hips and strokes his beard (with Mage Hand), “Hmm. Mhm. I see.”

    Geth roll 1d20+10 for Arcana

    Arcana:
    1d20+10 12 [1d20=2]

    mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    What Bern sees in front of him is a basically a magical "buzzsaw": anything caught within the "blades" of the energy *will* feel it, and the effects could range from the mundane to the disatrous...

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Aye. I suspect that’ll cut you to bits if you try to walk through it. I reckon we attempt to bring order to this stretch of raw magic. Does anyone know a strong healing spell? I reckon we could align it to less violent ends with a potent enough spell of benign arcana. That or drain it off, if you can think of a way.”

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Hmm..."

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Check

    Arcana Check:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

    Endless_SerpentsmrpakuAustinP0027Glal
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno turns to Jared, "Well, we could try and rush through, but we might end up with green hair and horns. Or our lungs on the outside. Always kinda hard to tell with these wild magics which way it will go, I once knew a wild magic sorcerer who cast a shape stone spell that instead caused it to rain eggs for a minute. Maybe it has a rhythm though.."

    The changeling looks long and hard at the door, the burble and bubble and all around tension of their followers starting to fray the nerves. However, an idea forms.

    "Bern, do you think dispelling the magic could help? I know it's wild, but if I could "scare it off" maybe...hang on, I just can not even with this new group following us, they think they are so sneaky."

    Yelling in primordial, Arno turns to the Koa-toa "hiding" behind them:
    We know you're there, you're not fooling anyone! Beat it already, you're not even worth our time, we're bored with killing all the robots and slimes and snakes. If I see anyone of you throw one spell, one javelin, anything, I swear to all the trees and the seas I will turn into a shark and literally bite off your hand.



    Geth roll 1d20+7 for perception

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for intimidate

    perception:
    1d20+7 15 [1d20=8]
    intimidate:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

    mrpakuAustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    URIXES
    The Forlorn Soldier's crew nearly starved to death in this place before his fear twisted him into the *wreck* you saw when he passed through here...this surge feeds upon whatever frightens people the most....

    Much the same as a buzzsaw, the magic could be fed an individual to stall its movement, and to allow time for others (most...) to get through safetly...it could also be fed enough fear to be *completely* sated for the moment, if you had such a thing on hand...

    There used to be Wards in place for incursions such as this, but either time or fading magic has disturbed the sanctity and safety of this place...

    ARNO
    Arno looks through the Arch.

    They see, clear as day, the Whispered Curse immediately through the doorway. The deck is on fire, (*just* like the night of the mast burning down except it's reaching to the forecastle now)...the dead swarm, spiny bone dragons drop flaming from the sky, and #73, wrestling with an angry looking cat, falls, *bellowing*, into the waters below...

    Nothing. An illusion; just forget it. You didn't leave them *all* to die (on purpose), of course. It's not as if they all wouldn't be six feet deep tomorrow, because of you. It's not all your fault that the ship is falling, *sinking*...

    Arno eventually steps away from peering into the swirling doorway, more from the lack of breath than the sinking vision. Their head throbs...their breath comes in long drags...how long were they standing there..?
    Geth roll 2d4 psychic damage

    Having had enough of the trailing Koa-toa, Arno finally lets the lurking fish have a piece of their mind. From behind the Changeling, nearly *a dozen* different voices break into half agressive, half apologetic yelling, each attempting to correct the next:
    "So sorry, friend! We'll let you be, please take no offense!"

    *"You *nusciances* have been making noise since yesterday...*course* we're gonna keep an eye on you!"

    "You all *selling* this place to the Sun Prince?"

    "Did you bring medicine? My family..."

    "Hey, did you all kill some cousins o' mine, over round the borderlands.."

    "You going through the *rift*? *I* sure wouldn't, if I wanted..."

    "MY FAMILY IS ILL. DO YOU HAVE MEDICINE, FOOD..."

    psychic damage:
    2d4 8 [2d4=4, 4]

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Aye! Have a quick go at scaring it off.”

    Bern turns back to the gibbering beneath the waters.

    “What did they want? I’ve got a couple of potions if it’ll get them to slither off, and a fiddle to play, naturally.”

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    The only thing brighter than the glowing hook is his face as he whispers in reverence, "Treasure..." Dig dig dig! Shiny shiny shiny! The lad is practically beaming as they walk back to the Curse, eager to show off his find, "Look at this pearl, Arno! Check out this ruby, Urixes! Hey, her Gerdie, check out this amber!" It's all coming up Jack.


    Magic has never been Jack's strong suit, associating it more with his curse than a helpful tool, so the sight before them makes him uneasy to say the least. "...we don't have to go through that, do we? I mean, not that I'm scared." But that sure looks scary.

    He listens to the others talk, "Can I help? I can be scary!" It is what he's known for, after all.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "It feeds on fear," Urixes says thoughtfully. He eyes the dwarves. "If we gave it enough, it would stop for a while..."

    When the kuo-toa reveal themselves, Urixes' gaze grows distant, past the dwarves, not really looking at anyone. "We wish to leave your tunnels," he says into the kuo-toa's minds, "Is there a way around this magic?"

    OOC: Assuming they have a swim speed, Urixes will speak with the fish people telepathically.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Oak frowns. "Feeds on fear? What kind of damned fool would put magic in place that is essentially impassible?"

    Oak looks around the room, "There must be some other way around."

    OOC: Rolling here to just see if Oak sees anything of interest that I could try and plan around.

    Edit: Apparently Geth has decided Oak did too well in that last fight....

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

    AustinP0027 on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Well, now I feel like a cloaca. Half of them are scared of us, the other half are asking if we have food or medicine."

    To the Koa-Toa:

    "We can share some of our medicine and the help of our doctor, but we need to get to our ship to do so. Is there a way around this?"

    To Oak:
    "Well, there were probably special magic keys that let people through. And it's not impassible, but remember a previous group when mad with fear and regret last time they came through. I think our best chance might actually be for me to turn into a bear and let the think chew on my head while the rest of you run through as fast as possible. I'll tie a rope around my waist so you can pull me to the other side. Unless we have other ideas. I'd really appreciate some other ideas. Anyone?"

    Geth roll 2d4+2 for chug potion

    Geth roll 2d4+2 for another potion, really ouch

    chug potion:
    2d4+2 4 [2d4=1, 1]
    another potion, really ouch:
    2d4+2 7 [2d4=4, 1]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern takes the large black feather from his hair and gently passes it through the doorway. The feather is the embodiment of his ageing, his mortality and the omens foretold of his terrible death when he was just a child. A reminder from the Raven of what to fear.

    This done, something will no doubt happen to the very essence of Bern.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    The group of Koa-toa (wow, there’s a *lot* of them back there) come closer to your group, although they all halt at once about thirty feet away, not daring to draw any closer. From their distance, the Koa-toa respond to Urixes and Arno with their terse, thick gurgling:
    “No way through without paying the toll…the Paling started seeping in places, once the Wards were damaged. These days, we just steer round’ it, *or* we use the waterways in en’ out of the Ravine.” You succeed in explaining to the fishmen about your Ship on the other side of this barrier. They look at each other, hopeful but nervous. Finally, one of them does the math. “You go ‘round’, it’d probably be ‘bout six hours, if nothing stopped you. Down and under would only be *three* hours for one of us, but, well…guess it’d come down ta how good ya ken swim!”

    Oak looks frantically, but can just see the one way forward. There doesn’t seem to be much question of it: either take hours going down or around, or go *through* the pulsing barrier somehow…

    Bern holds out the raven’s feather calmly, slowly extending the blue-black keratin like a subtle knife, and pressing it into the shimmering doorway…

    Geth roll 1d100 Wild Magic

    Wild Magic:
    1d100 70 [1d100=70]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    BERN
    The Old Bard feels what starts as a small *tug* in his canines...then, a *pinch at the gums*. This is followed by a *wrenching* of his jaw... until finally, it feels as if his mouth is *tearing* itself open...
    Bern, your teeth have grown longer, sharper, and more canine. You now tend to pant when you breathe. A "Remove Curse" spell may end this effect.

    Bern's feather remains in *pristine* condition, the colors reflecting brilliantly off the magical force field

    Nearby, others take in the effects of Bern's experiement; the dwarves *wince* in sympathy: Jared Edgar puts a modest hand in front of his face (you can't be sure if he's trying to be polite, or simply to keep himself from laughing); the Koa-toa give loud, excitable sounding *groans and howls*, the sound half shock and half knee-jerk schadenfreude

    The Pulse has slowed down to a easily trackable, momentarily blip. You could start forcing people to the other side now, but you have *no idea* when the surge may pick up speed again. Please decide in what order you would be sending people through first... I'll let you know how many get through safely before the pulse again becomes an issue...

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC: Oak will insist on going last. Rest of you hurry and send yourselves across.

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Oh, looks like our decision is made for us. Erik, Olaf, Jared, Balrog, Gertie, Bern, me, Urixes, Jack, Oak.

    MOVE people."

    OOC: Trying to get the middle to get hit with the pulse. Figured Bern and I are the least dangerous if we go crazy and try to eat the party.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC: Says the person who turns into a bear

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC: you are absolutely more dangerous than any bear.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack shoo's at the dwarves, "Move move move! My teeth are pointy enough!" He watches the field warily, then winces and sprints after Urixes. No second curse, no second curse!

    ((OOC: Guys, come on, clearly Jack is the most dangerous one, he is a scary werewolf after all ))

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Badass.”, says Bern.

    He tests his new teeth with a few bites.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Getting your rather large group across is a steady(if *incredibly* tedious) process, until right around when you move to coax Gerdie through: suddenly, the blue shimmer picks up the pace again; begins *humming* back to a thundering livewire thrum. There is just enough time for Bern to stumble across in a happy daze, and Arno to *jerk* Gerdie through the passage, before the Wild Magic is surging through the doorway once more...

    Initiative for Jack and Urixes please... whoever wins is in the clear, on the other side of the magical energy pulse! Whoever's left, is back behind the blue, electric light with Oak...
    ...

    Outside
    Light in your eyes, after hours upon end. Too-bright sunshine overhead. The sound of distant music in the air. An *awful* yawning, from ancient architecture nearby...

    Everyone outside, please roll Perception or Investigation to get a bearing on your surroundings...

    In the Tunnel
    The magical pulse *shines* once more, if *anything* stronger than when you first came upon it. You are trapped in the tunnel together....the fishmen right behind.

    One of the Koa-toa *hisses* something sinister...

    URIXES ONLY
    "Your people just...leave us, then? They'll be back....right?"
    ?

    The fishmen press in, expectantly, *snarling* in the dark...

    Oak and anyone remaining in the tunnel, please roll Persuasion to reassure the throng of Koa-toa in the tunnel behind you

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Hup hup hup!

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Looking Around

    Looking Around:
    1d20+1 21 [1d20=20]

Sign In or Register to comment.