As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 55- Western Headwind/Monsoon Rains/Open Water

18990919294

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    ((OOC: Constructs are fearless ))

    OOC:The soul within the Guardian is way too self righteous to have considered the fact that it should probably be scared right now. Which reminds me:
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Constitution Save (Order Orbs#1)
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Constitution Save (Order Orbs#2)
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Constitution Save (Order Orbs#3)

    Turn to @Denada , then Meepo : Victory is on the horizon for the Wild Bunch, but will the Shining Guardian bring them to their knees first?!...

    Constitution Save (Order Orbs#1):
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]
    Constitution Save (Order Orbs#2):
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]
    Constitution Save (Order Orbs#3):
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Illusory duplicates are no help against an explosion of magic. The searing light burns Urixes flesh, but a fire of his own glows in his eyes. "You're not the only one with power here," he says, his eyes flashing. Hellfire erupts on the surface of the guardian, but Urixes doesn't wait to see what effect it will have. He throws more of his anger into blasts of eldritch energy while his tentacle continues its electrified assault.
    Casting Hellish Rebuke as a reaction to taking the radiant damage. The guardian takes 2d10 fire damage (DC 16 Dex save for half).

    Geth, roll 2d10 for Hellish Rebuke
    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+8 for Blessed Eldritch Blast 1
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Force Damage 1
    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+8 for Blessed Eldritch Blast 2
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Force Damage 2
    Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+8 for Blessed Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

    Hellish Rebuke:
    2d10 10 [2d10=2, 8]
    Blessed Eldritch Blast 1:
    1d20+1d4+8 10 [1d20=1] [1d4=1]
    Force Damage 1:
    1d10+4 10 [1d10=6]
    Blessed Eldritch Blast 2:
    1d20+1d4+8 14 [1d20=2] [1d4=4]
    Force Damage 2:
    1d10+4 12 [1d10=8]
    Blessed Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+1d4+8 29 [1d20=18] [1d4=3]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Dex Save (Mirror Guardian)

    Dex Save (Mirror Guardian):
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 20
    The Mirror Guardian attempts to stand against Urixes's hellspring of fire, but his clay form continues to warp and crack under the intense heat, his body impossibly held together by strands of light through the sheer will of the white radiances which leaks out from within!

    ...

    Meepo, slammed back but unbowed in the face of the magical assault, seems to have finally found their courage. The Kobold stands his ground, whirring the sickle through the air before him like a dancer. Beams of moonlight, subtle and insubstantial, blow away from the curved blade like gusts of wind, each wisp coming to settle in the room upon the shoulders of Oak, Jack, and Urixes..,.
    Meepo casts "Aid": Your spell bolsters your allies with toughness and resolve. Choose up to three creatures within range. Each target’s hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the duration
    The Mirror Guardian is falling apart, the radiant light which houses his soul slowly leaking out from the remains of the statue like water pouring from an unsealed vessel. The creature of Order, whoever he was once, is becoming unhinged as it's form crumbles around him; maniacal. No longer bossing and threatening, but simply screaming, the Mirror Guardian makes one last, desperate attempt to "punish" those who would trespass against the whims of "Order"!"...
    Mirror Guardian making x3 "Great Blade" attacks (last ditch effort to keep Jack from claiming the "Key"), and using his final Legendary Action to attempt a "Shield Bash" on Oak (hoping to put the Shifter Prone, and leaving him enough time to finish off his young Shifter friend) . Oak, on a success, DC-18 Strength Save or be pushed 10 feet away and knocked Prone (on a success, Oak will be neither pushed nor proned)

    Geth roll 1d20+7 Great Blade#1 (Jack)
    Geth roll 2d6+4 slashing
    Geth roll 2d6 radiant damage

    Geth roll 1d20+7 Great Blade#2 (Jack)
    Geth roll 2d6+4 slashing
    Geth roll 2d6 radiant damage

    Geth roll 1d20+7 Great Blade#3 (Jack)
    Geth roll 2d6+4 slashing
    Geth roll 2d6 radiant damage

    Geth roll 1d20+7 Shield Bash (Oak)
    Geth roll 2d4+4 bludgeoning

    Great Blade#1 (Jack):
    1d20+7 17 [1d20=10]
    slashing:
    2d6+4 10 [2d6=3, 3]
    radiant damage:
    2d6 2 [2d6=1, 1]
    Great Blade#2 (Jack):
    1d20+7 12 [1d20=5]
    slashing:
    2d6+4 7 [2d6=2, 1]
    radiant damage:
    2d6 7 [2d6=3, 4]
    Great Blade#3 (Jack):
    1d20+7 25 [1d20=18]
    slashing:
    2d6+4 7 [2d6=1, 2]
    radiant damage:
    2d6 11 [2d6=6, 5]
    Shield Bash (Oak):
    1d20+7 22 [1d20=15]
    bludgeoning:
    2d4+4 9 [2d4=4, 1]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak sees the shield coming before it lands. He braces himself, stance widening, so when it impacts, he is barely shifted by it. The collision does give him a twinge of pain, but he pushes back right against the guardian and holds his ground. His rage only seems to grow more feral as he sees it strike out at Jack multiple times with it's sword. He can't even manage to get words to come out of his mouth as his beastial face is clenched in anger. The axes strikes out again, the full might of the barbarian behind it.
    Intentionally using Reckless Strike this time.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1d4+8 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Dmg

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1d4+8 for Attack 2
    Geth, roll 1d12+7 for Dmg 2

    Attack:
    2d20k1+1d4+8 22 [2d20k1=[13], 5] [1d4=1]
    Dmg:
    1d12+7 17 [1d12=10]
    Attack 2:
    2d20k1+1d4+8 26 [2d20k1=[15], 3] [1d4=3]
    Dmg 2:
    1d12+7 17 [1d12=10]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    The second blow connects, and as Oak pulls the axe blade free, a brilliant spout of sunlight shoots from the wound like blood spray! The Mirrored Guardian shrieks, a sound bordering between incredible pain and religious ecstasy!...

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Just one more-OOF!" Right in the kisser. Jack wobbles and clumsily dodges the second strike, looking dazed, "I'm alright! I'm..." just in time for the third to wallop right into him, Jack raising his sword in an attempt to parry a blade the size of himself. It does something. Maybe. A bit. Points for effort!

    Geth, roll 1d8 for Parry Damage Reduction

    He's blasted in the face by the light of the construct's glowing wound and growls under his breath, "Yeah, well, bet this will hurt just as bad!" He aims his strikes at the glowing opening and hacks away at it!

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Saber Strike
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Damage

    Parry Damage Reduction:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]
    Saber Strike:
    1d20+7 18 [1d20=11]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]
    Saber Strike:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]

    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes gives a nod to Meepo, thankful for the aid, then turns his gaze back to the guardian as he prepares another barrage of attacks.
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Eldritch Blast 1
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Force Damage 1
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Eldritch Blast 2
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Force Damage 2
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

    Eldritch Blast 1:
    1d20+8 27 [1d20=19]
    Force Damage 1:
    1d10+4 8 [1d10=4]
    Eldritch Blast 2:
    1d20+8 10 [1d20=2]
    Force Damage 2:
    1d10+4 8 [1d10=4]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+8 22 [1d20=14]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    The Mirrored Guardian BELLOWS for one final time! What little remains of the clay which constitutes his physical form slowly, grossly cracks to pieces before your eyes...rocks against itself...and finally, the entire thing explodes outwards in a shower of light!

    g4auy5hyd2za.png
    It is over. At the Wild Bunch's feet, nothing of the Guardian now remains: just a large pile of ground sand and clay shards, and the Guardian's shield: still giant, still whole, still glimmering.

    Far at your backs, the magical barrier which had blocked access to the southern doorway shimmers open, the Guardian's life force apparently the thing which had been holding it.

    In and around the cavern overhead, there is a tremble. A pile of pebbles from somewhere far above falls upon your head, more irritating than painful...

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak looks up at the ceiling as pebbles fall down, feeling his feral visage fading away. Eyes squinting, he blinks a few times before understanding sweeps over him. "Shit. This whole place is goin' ta' collapse."

    He looks around the room, then down at the massive shield. "Somethin' special 'bout that. Dun think we can drag it out though. Anyone got any bright ideas? Urixes?"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack just sits himself right down on the floor once their foe collapses, raising his mask and panting, "Well, he was a bother..." He nudges the shield with his foot and it doesn't even wobble, "If not him, maybe Meepo can do something? If nothing else, he can make it nice and sparkly." He grins in the kobold's direction.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak's eyes look into the shield, and are drawn to a stalagmite that isn't really there behind Jack. Looking up, he sees it, but in the mirrored shield it isn't there. Something else is, however. Oak runs over, stepping through the illusion. As he nears, he sees what it was, a hand mirror, sitting inside of a glass box, looking as if it hadn't been touched in a very long time.

    The rumbling overhead causes him to glance away, but also reminds Oak that there isn't that much time left. He pulls open the case, grabbing the mirror, and then, with a deep breath of uncertainly, he holds it up and looks into it.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Meepo chirps to Jack sadly, "Not reilly me' department, Meester Jack! But! If any of ye' needed some guidance from the pale light, er' a bit of a pick-me-up...!"
    Meepo will always have access to prepared "Guidance" and "Enhanced Ability" spells to support the party, so don't forget about them!
    Oak looks into the mirror:
    ...well, it's been awhile. The lines in your face have grown longer, and the head rests a little more weary these days, but it is Oak's true face which looks back at himself in this moment!

    He sees other things too, things which his face has not yet betrayed, but which now lie apparent within the glass: a fatherly aura of pride and concern which wasn't there two months ago; a man these days constantly frustrated, worried...but ultimately, happy to be where he stands; and finally, physically, a small wound in the middle of his forehead, where it looks like a large scab or growth has been removed numerous times. Like a boil, or (given the size) maybe even something like a horn....

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    With everyone starting to putter about Jack peeks into the mirror shield. Hello, werejack? No? Gone then. He gets up and daintily steps on the mirrored surface, walking across the giant shield, "For some reason it feels like this should be hung above my bunk on the Curse, not sure why..."

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    For a single moment, Jack and Fusspot stand atop the giant shield, the Shifter's feet pressed firmly to the glass. Then, with an unnaturral, shocking speed, both fall into a glassy nothingness, and vanish into the reflection below!...
    Jack, Constitution Save and Perception Check please!

    AustinP0027Glal
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Whoop...!"

    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Con Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

    ((OOC: I am so excited! ))

    Con Save:
    1d20+8 27 [1d20=19]
    Perception:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Oh, there's my rolls ))

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak's eyes see many things through the mirror. He catches a glimpse of looks like it might be something of value, but most importantly, he sees that the door out isn't the door out, and the shield seems to be the real exit.

    "Meepo, Urixes!" he yells out, his feet running towards the hidden cache location. "The Shield is the exit. Go through it. Door's bad."

    He doesn't pause to watch them as he is still fearful of how long they might have left. Reaching the hidden skeleton, he pushes it off the lid of something, and opens it.
    Geth, roll 3d20 for "Cave of Order- HIDDEN CACHE"

    "Cave of Order- HIDDEN CACHE":
    3d20 37 [3d20=20, 6, 11]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    JACK
    The cave smells of sweat, and food rinds and empty tins litter the floor. Out the doorway, the Whispered Curse can be clearly seen teethered and waiting, sails drawn and the crew at their bunks for the evening.

    They've all been waiting for you, for at least a few days now. They'll probably be anxious to hear that you're back safe, so you should maybe wake one of the crew guarding the place.

    OAK
    Oak discovers the following items within the profiteer's final plunder:

    - 6000 GP

    - A Treasure Map, containing the definite known location of high-class buried goods (Oak, roll 1d4 to add known HIDDEN CACHE locations to the Twilight Expanse Map)

    - A Unique Item, practically glowing with arcane potential (Oak, roll 1d100 for Magical Goodness)

    AustinP0027
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Mister Fusspot, we're back!" He glances around, then carefully up... no Oak falling on his head, at least. Eh, they'll come after soon enough! Jack waltzes over to the sleeping forms and shakes the genasi's shoulder, "Oi, Zephyr! Not much of a watch you have going here, eh?"

    He grins to the blinking man and glances around, the griffon having flown off to pick at one of the discarded tins for leftovers, "Been waiting long? We weren't gone that long, surely, only been 10 minutes."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak can't help but grin at what he discovers. A pile of gold, a hearty amount he would say. A map with locations marked on it, and a ring were also on there.

    Oak scooped it all into a bag, and turned to run back to the Shield. Looking down into it, he says aloud, "Jack, yer a genius." before stepping onto it with both feet.

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for CON save

    CON save:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Zephyr wipes the sleep away as Lucky Jack rousts him. It takes some time to convince him that Jack is really standing there in person, but the Genasi is ecstatic once he realizes it's really you!

    However, he becomes confused as Jack further explains himself. "Ten minutes? Mister Jack, are you feeling well? Do you need to lie down? And where are the others...are they safe?"

    Zephyr tries to break it down for the young Shifter. "The Captain has had us drop anchor in these spires for on four days now! You all vanished when the light did! Captain was convinced you would return soon...wouldn't hear anything against it... so we've been here, waiting. I knew she was right all along, of course...I had forseen it!"

    Zephyr looks at his sleeping companions, then out the cave and down at the Curse. He returns to Jack, "Would you like me to send for the Captain? The Ship's Medic? Have you eaten?"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack's face mirrors the genasi's confusion, "Four days? That's some hag magic that is..." he mutters. He shakes his head, "I'm alright... okay, actually, I could eat, but I think we should wait a few minutes, the others should be right after me?"
    He glances over his shoulder, "I assume. I hope it's not four days per person." He turns back and runs his arm under his runny nose, only to find a bloody streak across it.

    "Well, I guess I did get a bit beat up in the fight, could use a sit-down. But we won!" Proud smile, "Smashed that pompous statue to bits. As said, Urixes and Oak should be right behind me, between you and me, I'd rather they face the captain, 'specially if we're late."

    That lady scares him when she's angry. And angry appears to be her state of being.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak feels his feet slide through then everything else. It was not a pleasant feeling. As he lands down back on the ground, he is able to take a step, then another, but then collapses to the ground. Whatever they just went through to get back here, it pulled far more out of him than just the normal feeling he had when he calmed down and the red faded from his vision. Trying to push himself up, he is barely able to bring himself up on one knee. "Jack..." he wheezes, "little help."

    He had been beat up before, and he was certainly bloody, but this was something completely different. He felt like he could barely keep his eyes open.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes doesn't have much time to wander before Jack disappears, Oak finds a magic mirror, and the cave starts crashing down around them. "Get to it," he says to Meepo, gesturing toward the mirror. After waiting to see Meepo make it through, he takes a deep breath then steps onto the mirror himself.
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1 for Con Save
    Geth, roll 3d20 for Caches

    Con Save:
    2d20k1+1 13 [2d20k1=[12], 10]
    Caches:
    3d20 28 [3d20=10, 11, 7]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack hears something land behind him and turns his head, grinning, "Ah, there he... what happened to you??" He slaps the Genasi's shoulder in a 'help me!' gesture and rushes to Oak, scooting himself under one of his arms, his face going red with effort. He is not a large lad and his friend very much is.

    "...thanks..." he mutters to Zephyr through gritted teeth as they half-carry the barbarian to the camp site, Jack unceremoniously deciding to donate the Genasi's bed to him.

    "You oka... aaaand he's out. Yep, there's that Oak snore we know and love, guess he was just tired. That leaves Urixes and our kobold friend. Zeph, maybe fetch that medic you were talking about, in case Oak's not alone having a rough time coming back." He says, still dribbling blood down his chin.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Oak opens his eyes slowly, coming to in the Clinic. He vaguely remembers getting here, but more importantly, distinctly remembers how uncomfortable going through that portal was. If we dun have to use one of those again, I'll be happy. The Shifter sits up, leaning forward in the makeshift bed that was used to hold the injured or ill when they couldn't rest in their own. He looks around, blinking and wiping at his eyes. Urixes is in a bed near him, but Jack and Meepo aren't present. Given their situation, Oak figured that might be probably the most they could have hoped for, not everyone got wiped by the portal.

    Nearby, Oak's bag sat, apparently they didn't feel like they wanted to go stow it away and they just left it with him when they deposited him. Oak reaches down and looks inside, finding all his possessions, as well as the items pulled from the cache recently. He smirked to himself, they must be some amount of scared of him to not touch the gold, but it was the ring that drew his attention. He pulled it out, turning it over in his fingers a bit, and just generally staring into it. He felt the familiar tingle of magic as he did, indicating that this was indeed magical as he suspected. He spent some time connecting to it, a process he could never really describe, but just something that naturally happened as he focused more. Then finally, the ring's secret was revealed to him. He slid it on his finger with a laugh. "This will surprise the hell out'ta someone very soon."

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    After the strange events around the rocks and beyond, the days at sea pass quietly, and everyone aboard soon falls into the happy rhythm of life on the Ship. Urixes and Oak are firmly encouraged to take their time recovering in the Clinic, watched over carefully in turn by Jack and Meepo. Somehow (in the manner of life at sea), word has already gotten around to everyone of the rather kingly-haul Oak and Urixes had discovered in that strange cave, during the near-week the group had gone missing. Most of the crew at one point or another stops by to quietly pay their respects and give appreciation to the Wild Bunch for their heroism at the Spires. Many simply bring meals from the Galley, or provide a few moments of distractions and entertainment. But a handful of curious souls seem to be trying to gauge the group’s current opinion of the Captain, although none have the audacity to actually come out and say it…

    The Captain pointedly does not come by to visit during this time. The silence is rather deafening. The “Glass of Truth” remains left alone inside Oak’s pack among the gold pieces, undisturbed. After all the risks she had taken with the crew, the precarious position she had put them in, Oak can’t help but feel ill-treated at the lack of proper communication at this time…

    While Urixes recovers, he finds himself subtly hounded by thoughts of the missing Champion of Order, who had failed to arrive at their fated destination. The situation puts him in something of an existential crisis: What would the Expanse look like, if Order had found a guiding hand here all those years ago? Would the place even be recognizable? What if Urixes himself had never arrived that day to meet Ghanadaur? Would his soul have gone on to find some measure of peace? Would the Expanse itself be a more peaceful place?…

    Jack is unconcerned by such thoughts as he wanders the crew during this downtime, eagerly back at his work maintaining the carpentry about the Ship. A few of the crew members try to obtain whispered hints of what happened in the cave from the young Shifter, but Jack’s obliviousness leaves most with more questions than answers once they finally leave, exasperated.

    4l9vjsqmtegl.png

    DAY 55- EVENING

    On the 55th day of your voyage around sunset, a couple days after Oak and Urixes have grown well enough to return to their tasks running the Ship, the Captain sends Calthus Zurkul around to fetch each of the Wild Bunch one by one and direct them to the Captain’s Quarters. “The Cap would like to see ye’,” the Dragonborn informs each of you brusquely. “Think she wants a rundown on what happened in the cave above the Spires…” The Paladin gives you a pointed look. “Especially whatever you brought back for us…”

    The Wild Bunch finds Meepo already waiting, guarding the door to the Captain’s Office. They give you a quick salute as you pass, and explain, “Captain wanted me here’ to watch the place, but not in there with ya’…pparently, whatever ye’ got to discuss is above me’ pay grade!” Meepo looks bemused but not entirely disappointed at the Captain not allowing him to join the meeting. Apparently, just being called in for guard duty on the meeting is enough for the Kobold to feel “included” in what’s going on tonight…

    wi9nj8g6ol6f.png

    The Captain sits at her desk, fingers crossed before her, eagerly anticipating your arrival. Three empty chairs are ready for the Wild Bunch, while across from their seats the Captain herself sits next to an unoccupied chair of the same design. Four empty glasses sit before you, and the Captain has placed a bottle of one of her finest liquors upon the table between you, as well as a pitcher of ice water.

    She waves you into your chairs with a gloved hand. “Sit…sit! And welcome back from…”The Cave”…you were greatly missed during your absence!”

    With a single, quick sidelong look at the empty chair next to he, Captain Ari returns, anxious to the group. “I want to know…everything that happened while you were gone. Where you went…what you saw….what you learned…”

    “But most importantly,” and here the Captain leans forward, her chair creaking behind her. “What you brought back!”

    “But first…” she says, pouring a couple fingers of brown liquor at the bottom of three of the four glasses. “A toast!” Into her own glass, she pours several ounces of water, and then extends it to the group, waiting for someone to pick up their glass and offer a toast…

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    Oak steps into the Captain's quarters, his hand already grasping the mirror he found, holding it behind his back as he entered the room. Before they had entered the Spires, Urixes's reaction to the Captain's request had sowed distrust in the Shifter, while the events inside the portal had shown him first hand an example of something that might have happened. Then to top it all off, the lack of a visit while he and Urixes were laid up in the clinic painted the picture of a woman who wasn't fully in her right head. No visiting an injured crew member was a grave misstep as a Captain. Your life and success depended on everyone on the ship getting along and trusting your leadership. If you started to show that you didn't care about those that were under you, you were destined to end up on the wrong side of a mutiny.

    All of these reasons gave Oak enough internal ammunition to know that this mirror was probably going to show him something he might not like, but also the stubbornness to know he was going to look anyways. Raising the mirror quickly, the Shifter attempts to look through it around the room.
    Assuming this is just a check, not a save.

    Edit: Are you kidding me Geth? Apparently my punishment for stellar rolls in Endless's game when they don't really matter is that they get to be shit here when I need something good.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dex Check

    Dex Check:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]

    AustinP0027 on
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 27
    Captain Arabella, with almost supernatural speed, manages to reach across the table and stay Oak's arm before he can withdraw the mirror fully. "Please," she whispers firmly, imploringly. She subconsciously seems to understand that there is lost trust in this room. "I am glad to see you've brought it, Mister Oak. But no need to withdraw the fucker just yet. Not until we've all caught up, first..." The Captain squeezes Oak's arm reassuringly, and gives him a soft, familiar smile, secrets hiding just behind her eyes...

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak holds the mirror steady for a moment. In a contest of strength, he knows the Captain wouldn't be able to stop him. But, ever the dutiful sailor, he lowers the mirror. "Ya have a lot to answer Cap'n." he says lightly. "I'll stay my hand for now, but 'fore we leave, all of us need to know the truth, whatever might be. Me and my mates are happy to put our necks on the line when need be, but dun' appreciate doin' it without knowing full picture."

    The Shifter takes a deep breath, then reaches out to pick up the glass. "To the Curse, and rebuilding what was lost." He lets the words hang for a moment, pointedly staring at the Captain to ensure his message was sent.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, time to face the cap'n. He gives the kobold a nod, murmuring, "I'd swap place with ya in a heartbeat..." With a deep breath he follows the other two into the cabin, closing the door behind him. Well. She doesn't look mad, at least? That's a good sign.

    He sits himself down in one of the chairs and happily accepts one of the drinks and downs it in one, not one for sipping. Oooh, this is fancy this is, she must be in a good mood! Jack watches the mirror drama play out, then leans closer to Oak and nudges his elbow. Hey. Hey. Show me that mirror!

    Feeling put on the spot by the captain Jack recounts a version of the events in his usual overexcited way, skipping anything more subtle than a punch to the face and spending half the time praising Mister Fusspot. "Then I hopped on the mirror and he I was!" He looks at the captain with an 'impressive, right!' expression.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes looks more at the empty chair than at the captain as he takes his seat, but does eventually turn his attention to the visible occupants of the room. He raises his glass to Oak's toast, offering a simple "Aye," before drinking.

    "Oak is right, Captain," he says as he sets down the glass. "We've been through a lot together. No need for secrets here. "
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check

    Arcana Check:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Charisma Check:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 27
    OAK
    The Captain’s head falters for a single moment at Oak’s tone, but out of biting shame or a reluctance for responsibility the Barbarian can’t quite tell. However, with quickness she meets Oak’s eyes once more, holds his gaze, and begins slowly nodding in agreement. “Oh, yer’ not wrong, Mister Oak. Not a word! An’, you do deserve to know what’s been going on, the lot of you, fer’ all you’ve done for me an’ this Ship!” Awkwardly, she adds, “I…apologize for the necessity of my recent…actions…”

    She raises her glass to join Oak’s toast. Emptying the water with an effortless gulp, she responds in kind, “To the Curse!” Then, with a subtly more sinister tone, “And, to reclaiming what’s been taken!…” She meets Oak’s eyes once more, strangely and furtively, as she returns her drink to the table…
    Oak, Wisdom Saving Throw please; there was something in those words the Captain just spoke…

    JACK
    To the rest of the room, it was obvious the Captain had been looking for specifics, maybe something about the lost days that had occured, or the place the Wild Bunch had gone to. Naturally, Jack provides none of that. With a rambling, remarkably detail-less (while still mostly complete) account of their mission, Jack describes him and Fusspot’s journey across some ropes, past a few beams of light, into some crystal caves, getting into a random fight with a big guy, falling awesomely into a glass…

    At more than a dozen points, the Captain makes to get in a quick question, or a clarifying statement about what exactly…but Jack, blissfully oblivious to her attempts at polite interruption, barrels ahead, eventually arriving breathless at the point where he and Meepo had dragged a debilitated Oak and Urixes into the Clinic!

    The Captain sits for a minute with the information as the Shifter finishes. She rubs her chin, turning slightly pink. For a moment Jack thinks she’s about to start yelling at him…and right then, the Captain busts out laughing, giggling like a child, eventually leaning over her desk from lack of breath!

    Wiping tears of mirth from her eyes, she finally sits back up, and smiles kindly at the Shifter. Rather than asking for clarification or corrections of any kind, the Captain simply tells the boy, “Jack!” she says, the edge of a laugh still in her voice. “Promise me…..never change, me matey!”
    Jack, Perception Check please; something just happened and the room missed it…

    URIXES
    Urixes seeks out the Tiefling woman he had seen once before in this room. He can see through his own glass that no one sits in the empty chair, so that’s right out. As Jack gives a highly generalized rundown of their adventure within the Domain of Order, Urixes subtly spies about to the front on the grandfather clock, the surface of a spyglass lain nearby, anything reflective he can use to locate the black-eyed Tiefling he had seen standing next to the Captain last time…

    His search is eventually rewarded. Viewable only as a reflection upon the bay window, the shadowed-version of Valtari stands with her back to one of the Captain’s bookcases, arms crossed in front of herself as she takes in the discussion with a rapt attention. As Jack describes the battle with the Mirror Guardian with child-like pride, the not-Valtari picks her teeth nervously, only seeming to perk up her ears at talk of the mirror the young Shifter “accidentally” slid through…

    Then she looks up at the bay window, and the reflection in the glass makes sudden eye contact with Urixes. Despite the blackened pits of the eyes, Urixes can tell that she’s noticed him noticing her. The Tiefling, looking incredibly caught out, backs into the bookcase roughly, and disappears somewhere out of sight against a back wall that must be nearby…

    The bookcase behind the Captain’s left shoulder, despite the calm seas, suddenly shakes and threatens to toss a handful of books upon the floor- then is still, once more.
    Captain Arabella turns to Urixes, giving him a respectful bow. “Aye, that we have!” she agrees, as Urixes finishes his drink and remarks on their shared time together. “Even though I’ve known you scarcely two months, other than Calthus an’ Valtari, I’ve never trusted three hands aboard my Ship more than I do the men in this room! That’s why…” she continues, slowly. “It’s broken my heart to have to keep you in the dark about what’s been going on. But if anyone should appreciate the need for discretion to shield one’s friends, Mister Urixes…” Captain Arabella trails off somewhat, but the implication is clear.
    Urixes, Insight Check now that you’ve got another good look at that mysterious Tiefling hidden in reflections…
    ”I’m not gonna lie,” Captain Arabella tells the group sincerely. “If my Captain had put me in the position I just threw you fuckin’ all into… not sure I would’ve have kept my heads up as well as you all have! So… from the bottom of my heart…” She touches her chest, and bows slightly to the group. “…thank you.”

    Now, Captain Ari straightens up, and addresses the group with solemnity. “As I’m sure you’ve all heard by now, my partner, Valtari, was among the lost during our voyage. Years ago, it was her and myself that bought this craft, seeking fame and glory. We were young…reckless…had no real experience or crew to speak of! But…one of our brash, stupid reasons for making the decision to take to sea…was that Valtari? She always had heard the story from her Gran-papa of a hidden place out on the Expanse…among spires…a glittering cave of crystal and quartz, somehow close but within a far off land at the same time, and an Earth Golem holding safe a treasure which could find souls…”

    “I’m hoping,” here, the Captain turns straight to Oak, anxious. “What Valtari spoke of is what you now have in your possession…”

    “Well?” she asks Oak hopefully, unclasping her fingers and dropping a waiting palm on the table. “…may please I see it now? The “Circlet of Lost Souls”?…”

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    JACK
    The Captain is either expecting someone...or waiting for something to happen...maybe both. She's highly on edge right now and hiding it well.

    Her calm demeanor and loving approach is half for the Wild Bunch out of sincerity, and half appears to just be an act that she's putting on for someone unseen to act "normal"

    When she asks Oak to hand over the "Circlet of Lost Souls", Jack can tell she is well aware that's not what he has on his person

    This whole room is about to pop off...Jack can feel it...

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak’s eyes narrow. It took a moment, longer than it should have, but it was clear the Captain was trying to tell him something without actually telling him something. He wished he were Urixes, he probably has already figured it all out. But Oak was left guessing as to what else might be going on here.

    The Captain’s next request puzzles him, he doesn’t have what she is asking for. Yet still, her hand is extended, and she is focused on him. He only has the one thing he brought back from that Spire that might have some meaning, so he takes a guess. He slides his hand forward without looking down, placing the handle of the mirror in the Captain’s palm, covering it with his own large hand so an on looker wouldn’t be able to see the contents, though he wasn’t sure who could even be looking.

    He says nothing, his eyes just locked on hers.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 30
    He slides his hand forward without looking down, placing the handle of the mirror in the Captain’s palm, covering it with his own large hand so an on looker wouldn’t be able to see the contents, though he wasn’t sure who could even be looking.

    He says nothing, his eyes just locked on hers.

    The Captain, never looking away, smiles gently at Oak, before shooting him her now familiar, playful eyebrow. "Thank you, Mister Oak!..." She mutters, leaning back into her desk as she grips the handle of the item. "...knew I could count on you!"

    Within one quick motion, she opens up the drawer of her desk, while with her other hand pulls up the mirror and exposes it to the corner of the room...
    Geth roll 1d20+4 Dex Check (Cap'n Arabella)

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Dex Save ("Not-Valtari")

    Dex Check (Cap'n Arabella:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]
    Dex Save ("Not-Valtari"):
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Captain Arabella sees what she's looking for in the mirror's surface immediately. Her face quickly turns crimson red, and she whispers, "Fucking bastard!" Within an instant, a pistol is dangling, backwards, over her shoulder. With a squeeze of the trigger, she fires into an unoccupied corner of the room!...
    Geth roll 1d20+7 piercing (Arabella)
    The Captain is suddenly on her feet, kicking away her chair and already clutching a length of rope in her hands as the single shot pistol falls to her feet. She shouts, "Wild Bunch! He's huddled in the corner! Don't let him get out of this room!"

    piercing (Arabella):
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak still isn't completely sure what the Captain is up to, that is, until she uses the mirror to look behind her and fires a shot off. In the moment, his confusion shakes off and he realizes that the Captain hadn't been crazy, and there was someone actually here but likely invisible. Before he could move, the Shifter felt anger. Anger that whoever was doing this was playing a Captain against their crew, anger at himself for not believing the Captain more, and general anger that someone was once again trying to much up his ship. His hands extended, ready to catch and likely pummel whoever was trying to hide.
    Rolling these separate in case you don't like using a Rage to turn dis advantage into a straight roll.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Str Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Str Check (if you want disadvantage)

    Str Check:
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]
    Str Check (if you want disadvantage):
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack's eyes go wide as the captain turns and fires at... nothing. It's not until her shout that something finally clicks in his head and he whips out his pistol, firing at the corner before the invisible culprit gives them the slip!

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+9 for Snapshot
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Damage

    Snapshot:
    2d20l1+9 21 [2d20l1=[12], 15]
    Damage:
    1d10+4 6 [1d10=2]

    AustinP0027
Sign In or Register to comment.