As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 55- Western Headwind/Monsoon Rains/Open Water

1899091929395»

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: I don't know if it matters, but he'll do a Trip Attack on that shot, STR save versus 15 or be knocked prone ))

    Geth, roll 1d10 for Extra Damage

    Extra Damage:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    It all happens too fast. Urixes is used to being the ghost in the room, but the haunter has become the haunted. He freezes in his chair, a hundred memories flashing through him as some deep-seated fear takes hold.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Someone unseen cries out in the corner of the Captain’s Quarters! The voice sounds elderly, masculine…shocked! Small splatters of blood suddenly paint the bookcase, and something you can’t lay eyes on is rolling around on the carpet. Captain Arabella, having quietly sneaked out a ready length of rope from within her desk, leaps in an attempt to tie the invisible invader, roaring as she lands! She seems to miss with the first attempt, and the unseen invader kicks her in the side of the head, splaying her out nearby! The presence seems to pitter-patter across the floor, until Lucky Jack’s shot trips them to the ground at Oak’s feet! More blood finds it way dotted across the carpet of the Captain’s Office, and onto Oak’s pant legs…

    Oak finds the unseen thing nearly in his lap, squirming, biting, punching! Though he attempts to snake the invisible presence into a bear-hold, it still kicks-and-kicks at him eventually managing to wriggle away…
    Oak, take 1d4 bludgeoning damage!

    Geth roll 1d4 bludgeoning

    Urixes finds himself strangely paralyzed in his chair this whole time, the Tiefling on the verge of a veritable panic attack as a strange remembrance threatens to overwhelm him! It’s with a slow, concentrated effort that the Warlock is able to pull himself to his feet, and turn to his friends as the invisible enemy digs itself away from the Barbarian Oak, and sounds as if it heads to the door…

    Your unseen foe, whispering under their breath, says something in a bemused and bittersweet, unfamiliar tone,
    Urixes, Perception please…that little sad, whispered exclamation was in Infernal

    And immediately afterwards, a barrage of lightning erupts from inside the Captain’s door, just as the unseen entity bashes through it in an attempt to emerge onto the deck of the Ship…
    Everyone: Roll Dex Saves vs. Lightning Bolt (DC -14). Half damage on a success. Jack gets Advantage on this Save, from being the one Wild Bunch member to really have the jump on this thing! The Lightning Bolt in the Captain’s Office will likely ignite the nearby wood, planks, books, based on this d6…

    Geth roll 8d6 lightning damage
    Geth roll 1d6 Captain’s Quarters

    In addition, everyone may make a Perception Check in an attempt to get a view of the invisible caster, lighted/reflected as he is by the light of his own magical bolts…

    Afterwards, the Unseen Presence will attempt to bash his way out the door past Meepo, in an attempt to disappear somewhere within the hidden corners of the Ship…

    Geth roll 1d20 Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari)
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo)

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d4 bludgeoning damage- Unseen Prescence (Oak)

    Geth roll 8d6 lightning damage- (Everyone)

    Geth roll 1d6 Captain's Quarters (Flammability)

    Geth roll 1d20 Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari)
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo)

    bludgeoning damage- Unseen Prescence (Oak):
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    lightning damage- (Everyone):
    8d6 37 [8d6=3, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 2, 6]
    Captain's Quarters (Flammability):
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari):
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo):
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo)

    Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo):
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Wow, don't mess with Meepo! ))

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+4 for Dex Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

    Dex Save:
    2d20k1+4 16 [2d20k1=[12], 10]
    Perception:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OAK
    The Barbarian is laid out by the electrical blast filling the room, finding himself tossed into a corner and bashed against the bookshelves. He comes to only seconds afterwards, finding himself in a room already being set ablaze!

    Oak’s eyes and head clear slowly. From upon the floor, he sees the table with the Mirror is beginning to catch fire at the base. The Captain, having taken the full blunt force of the lightning blast, is now unconscious in the opposite corner of the room. Papers and Folders, stuffed randomly in the desk and among the shelves, begin to cinder and smolder, and smoke begins to fill the air…
    Oak, you come to on the floor of the Captain’s Office. This place will alight soon, depending on the actions of your friends, and the wind which currently gusts through the open doors. From your prone and dazed position, you are left with three options: save the Captain, save the Mirror, or save Important Looking Documents. You may attempt one or all of these, but your success will depend on a Dex Check, and the actions of your companions here!

    JACK
    Lucky Jack keeps his feet, looking about curiously and hugging Fusspot close to his neck as the brilliant blue energy shoots in tendrils about the room! For only a moment, an acute weakness and tingling sensation comes into his ankles and knees, as the charge dissipates across the room. But! The Shifter remains standing, finding himself for a few seconds strangely enjoying the sensation…

    In the doorway, Meepo and the invisible entity continue their tussle. Within a strange, singular moment Jack, seeing the reflection of the fight play out along the Mirror’s surface upon the desk, manages to get one really good look at sight within the glass:
    The invisible entity appears to be an impossibly old man: half his teeth missing, robed in rags, gnarled and dirty, looking crazed and emaciated. With a snarl, he grasps the Kobold’s arm like a chicken leg, bends it back, and bites into it!

    Meepo let’s out a shriek and lets go of the cloaked thing…but in turn his opposite hand is jerked suddenly, roughly backwards, and the yell of someone else altogether joins the chorus of shouts…

    Meepo slides his way up the door frame to his feet, hugging his bitten arm a bit. He looks upon the sight before him in a panic, taking in Oak and the Captain smashed against the corners of the Office, and the quickly growing fire. Finding Jack and Urixes among the mess, he gasps out, “Meester Jack! Meester Urixes! Whatever it is, it’s loose! What do ye’ want we should do?” The Kobold, as he says this, pulls up his uninjured arm and examines something completely new within it with curiosity: a fistful of long, wispy gray hair, connected at one end to a meaty-looking lump of skin and bloody tissue…
    Jack, the choice before you: do you Rally with Meepo the Kobold (and possibly Urixes, should he so choose) to raise the alarm on board the Curse first, and start tracking down the Strange Old Man you had seen within the mirror who seems to have now escaped further into the Ship? Or do you stay here, and help the knocked-down Oak with the increasingly flammable situation in the Captain’s Office? (A Persuasion Check or an Advantaged Investigation, respectively please!; Or, if you stay to help with the fire, a Dex Check, please!)

    URIXES
    The hidden presence mumbles something in a guttural and masculine tone, with enough lisping spite to be heard aloud but barely. Only Urixes catches the words-on-the-wind, disgusted and judgmental:
    ”…Ye’ haunt me yet, Old Boy…”

    Urixes has felt this spell before! This…particular..spell. There’s a personal measure to magic, and at this moment the Warlock remembers it like an old, familiar scent. The last time he had felt its presence was a quarter decade ago, and as the blue-arcs spark and light around his toes and torso and the Lord of the Deep is tossed about the cabin, the Tiefling is hit with a sudden bout of crystal-clear remembrance:
    …At the very doors to Sess’innek Inner Sanctum, within the strange puzzle at the center of “The Teeth”, was the last time you felt this brand of “Lightning Bolt”, out of this source…when the Wizard among your previous companionship suddenly turned into a different person entirely, and took up the cause of the Little Witch, betraying your group and dooming the expedition to failure…
    Urixes, do you choose to pursue the Hidden Presence, (who you recognize as the Traitor from the Old Boy days) as he escapes into the Ship?p…Or do you stay within the Captain’s Quarters, to save what and who you can from the assault/fire, helping to preserve your Captain and her books/charts? Let me know how you’d like to proceed, and give me a relevant roll please!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak climbs to his feet in a daze. Whether it was from the explosion, or the now growing fire, he wasn't sure, but instinct took over. He bounded over to the Captain, hefting her over his shoulder. Priority one was to save her. Turning towards the door, he had taken a few steps when he remembers the mirror. Given their invisible assailant, something that can help them see is a good idea. Priority two, grab that mirror.

    It was somewhere in the middle of that where Urixes stepped up and did what he did best, make the smarter play and was putting out the fire with magic. Once Oak again was grateful for his presence, and he was able to carry the captain and the mirror out of the room into the fresh air. Placing her down gently, Calthus and Calvin come to take over the care. The Shifter stands and takes a deep breath, relishing the feel of the sea breeze, when Natali catches his attention and tells them that Jack and Meepo need help.

    Rushing down, mirror raised, Oak runs to find his friends.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack looks momentarily stuck in decision paralysis, then reaches a conclusion as he yells out to the dragonman to alert the crew. By the time some of them rush inside he's muttering to the little griffon, manipulating the abacus and tying a torn strand of hair around his foot, "Fly, Mister Fusspot, find our guest!"

    One last glance around to make sure the situation here is being taken care of, he dashes outside, bumping into the returning Meepo with news of strange goings on on the Orlop Deck. "Meepo, with me!"

    They find Natali Grave-Digger, along with a hurt and loudly complaining Mister Fusspot indicating a dark corner and the sounds of something moving about. His senses aren't all they could be in this form, but his nose is still good enough to spot their 'guest'. Jack charges blindly when a set of chains is bumped and tackles something quite skinny and quite feral.

    When Oak and Urixes arrive he's wrestle-wrapped around... someone. They might not be visible, but they're most odorous. "Little help guys?"

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes counts his blessings that Jack and Oak are already springing into action, doing exactly what he hoped they would do. With Jack in pursuit and Oak helping the captain, he could focus on the flames. Frost springs into existence, crawling over every surface not already on fire, before erupting into a glittering cloud of rain that dances through the office and extinguishes the fire. With yet another ship fire averted, Urixes lets the magic vanish and turns to follow after Oak.

    Below deck, Urixes walks in just behind Oak, having locked the door before turning to take in the scene with a deep frown. "I remember you, traitor," he says to the invisible man, "Do you have anything you want to say before you die?"

    AustinP0027Glalmrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    Meepo, hesitating for a moment to enter the fray as he rubs his bitten muscle, finally SNARLS and jumps in to assist Jack, taking a few scratches before finding the unseen thing’s other arm and leg, pinning them tightly as the Kobold is able as the man thrashes beneath him!

    Once Oak arrives, the Mirror already held aloft and Urixes just behind him, the thrashing immediately stops. The invisible man, panting between Jack and Meepo, suddenly views himself in the Mirror, as do the Wild Bunch:

    kmcjrao2kxhn.png

    With a sigh of strange relief (almost like a prisoner on the lam, finally captured and able to now rest), the Old Man sinks back into Jack and Meepo’s arms, happily defeated. As he takes in his own reflection, flesh begins to flow out from nothingness, and the young Shifter and the Kobold soon find themselves holding the genuine article within their hands: a robed, ancient, filthy old man, who seems to be half feral and half deranged. As he notices the life flowing back into himself, he sneaks a peek up at Urixes, makes careful eye contact…and gives a playful, apologetic smile, the grin pulling back to his ears and showing every single tooth in his head, missing or otherwise…

    Urixes! It’s me! Your old pal, Iqium!” the Old Man rasps in a neighborly manner, immediately breaking into a series of rough coughs afterwards, his raw throat unused to forming words. It takes nearly a minute for him to finish the horking sound, as he convulses within the grasp of Jack and Meepo.

    Denada wrote:
    Below deck, Urixes walks in just behind Oak, having locked the door before turning to take in the scene with a deep frown. "I remember you, traitor," he says to the invisible man, "Do you have anything you want to say before you die?"

    The Sorcerer considers the Tiefling’s words bemused, like he’s been asked a quiz question rather than promised death. He seems to be less than surprised at the threat, and is choosing his next words with an off-putting whimsical care. “Uh-huh,” the Old Man rasps too-understandingly. “Now listen, Old Boy, I knew this was gonna come up…you know how I always could see a bit into the future? (laughs)…and I just gotta say, in my opinion? It’s a bad call, old friend…no offense!”

    Iqium implores the Warlock, “Look, I know you’re still mad about that whole…thing…back there in “The Teeth”? Thing is…the one who turned on you all?” Here Iqium turns to everyone in the room, giving them his most whimpering, imploring look. “I swear to the Gods, that weren’t me! The Witch! She found a way to snare me…trap me within a reflection! I had to watch, as everyone…as you all…” He shakes his head sadly at Urixes, sighing at the memory. “Broke my heart to watch, it did!”

    The Sorcerer turns back to the room, eyes now darting about wildly. “So you see now? You understand, right? Why I had to sneak back however I could find the chance? It wasn’t trying to hurt anyone…” Here Iqium begins to giggle, madly, unable to stop himself. “Heh! I just wanna help! Heh! To find my way back! Ehehehahahah…” Iquim, uncontrollably laughing, turns about the room, glancing briefly at each of you in turn:

    URIXES hears a voice within his head:
    ”Our cause is the same, once more, do you not see it? I was split in two…like you. I wish to return to my other…like you. Will you damn me, for the choice you made as well? Or can you find it in your heart to forgive me, and join or strengths together?”

    OAK hears a voice within his head:
    ”There is a dark sign now upon you, that has grown since Villam. A burden you took on…for Urixes?… You will need to find a way out from under it soon, lest’ you trust a Devil’s Bargain. The Demon returns, and will soon want her due. I can help you, to find a way out of your predicament…”

    JACK hears a voice within his head:
    ”Your blade has been talking, hasn’t it? And you’ve felt the Beast rise at the same time, haven’t you? It will become worse…the sword was polluted to ensnare one such as you, and soon enough it will turn on you. But I can help…”

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Looking down, Oak almost feels pity as the old man materializes. He looks so frail and almost helpless. His rambling concerns Oak a little bit, just because he speaks like a madness has taken him over.

    But then the voice speaks in his head. Oak's face turns feral in an instant, his features shifting instantly to the more beast-like nature that resides within him. He growls down at Iqium. "Ya' stay outta' my head, or I will end ya' here."

    He looks over to Urixes. "Yer call on him. Ya' seem to know him the most."

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    "You'll damn yourself!" Iqium protests to Oak without missing a beat, squirming mightily within Jack's grip. "Worse, you'll damn this Ship! Every man on it! She'll be here soon, if she isn't already, Oak! It's yet not too late, but if you throw this opportunity away!..."

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack watches with wide eyes as the smelly thing in his grasp flows into being. Well, the smell matches the look at least. He meets the man's eyes when he turns to look at him, frowning deeply at the voice in his head, "Hag magic!" He headbutts the old man with a hollow *thunk*.

    Jack looks at Urixes, "Am I good to let him go? Only I think Mister Fusspot got hurt..." He glares at the old man, clearly considering another headbutt, "...and I want to check on him."

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Jack's chin connects like a heavy fist upon the wizened Old Man's skull, and the interloper's head sinks down into his chest, neck twitching from pain. "Just...trying...to help..." Iqium grunts to the Shifter with deep indignation from his injured and held position. "Don't need...to get...so feral about it..."

    "Yes...yes! Let me go, Wild-Kind! Please." The shrunken sorcerer immediately sits up and implores at Jack's offer, eyes frantic. "The bird..." he starts, almost immediately seeming to realize his explanation lacks substance. "...It...stabbed my ribs! I thought it was one of you, attacking in the dark, and I simply lashed out to defend myself!"

    "...I didn't aim to deceive! I didn't mean to hurt anyone!" Iqium cries out to the room with a long whine. The Old Man repeats, "You don't understand...I just wanted to help!"

    Then, as if meant to be spoken to himself, he mutters an angry, spitting aside of, "An' if my blood stains this place, you will all live to fucking regret it..."

    From where he straddles the man on the floor, Meepo carries a look of growing concern. He whispers to the Barbarian, as the Sorcerer rants, "Errr, Meester Oak? What'd he mean, there? Bout' "damning the Ship"?..."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "He 'as done a fine job of damnin' the ship already there Meepo. Sneakin' about and leadin' the Captain astray. Seems like he's just tryin' to keep himself alive." Oak replies. He doesn't move, however, even in his anger. Iqium had hit a note there. She's coming.

    Oak had known that eventually his deal would come back to him. What that entailed he didn't know for sure, but he knew it wasn't good. He had half a mind to toss Iqium overboard right now, before he tried something that made things worse, but the thought of Oak's own personal weight impacting the rest of the ship kept him in check. What if he did need help? What if Iqium could actually find a way out? Could he damn the entire ship by wanting to stubbornly toss the man overboard?

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack hmms, keeping a tight watch on his prey, "I think he's mostly tellin' the truth... wouldn't trust 'im not to hurt anyone 's far as Meepo can throw 'im, though." He looks up at Oak and Urixes, "I think we should let 'im live. At least until the Captain's had her say."

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    "Captain...the Captain!," Iqium replies happily, somehow momentarily having forgotten his previous insidious impersonation. "That's right! I saw Arabella's partner the Tiefling descend the stairway into the lake and the halls of glass upon Villam, and past her reflection I beheld the bones of a thousand lifetimes, cemented into the shape of that Ship!...That's when I knew: I had found the Old Boy again, the Undying and his new craft, built of the remnants from the Sanguine Seeker, the bones of the Lost, and the Heart of the Deep!..." He looks about joyously at the others, his bizarre look welcoming them all to join in his good fortune. From Jack's blow, a slow trickle of blood snakes down his forehead, falling into his unblinking eye and dripping down onto his chin, although he seems not to notice...

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes raises his weapon, eldritch energy already swirling around it. "No Jack, not this time. I'm sorry."

    He turns his darkening eyes to Iqium. "You already killed me once, and I lived to regret that. I won't regret this." With that, Urixes attacks.

Sign In or Register to comment.