As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I'm waffling between the ASUS Tuf and EVGA XC3, as the TUF is apparently 10-15C cooler than the stock 3080 at the same wattage/slightly higher clocks.

I really don't like the look of the new EVGA cards, so I would go with the Tuf.

I thought the TUF looked pretty cool until I saw the backplate. Why would I want something in my PC to look like a car ran over it? sigh

Yeah the Tuf has treads as a sort of branding thing. Like it's sturdy enough to get run over.

I mean, I don't care, all I want is the RGB to just kind of peek through the tinted side glass panel.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm waffling between the ASUS Tuf and EVGA XC3, as the TUF is apparently 10-15C cooler than the stock 3080 at the same wattage/slightly higher clocks.

I thought the TUF looked pretty cool until I saw the backplate. Why would I want something in my PC to look like a car ran over it? sigh

Because it looks...TUF?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

"Look like?"

How do you think they certify them as TUF?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

Merciful Zeus. Which one did you get?

Which card?

The founders edition is almost 1400 grams.

The XC3 is 1500 grams.

The Tuf is 1385.

The 3080 is a superchonk.

Nah, I meant which GPU brace

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GYL25H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems solid, price is right, three thumbscrew holes means it should be sturdy.

I have that one, actually. It works pretty well but I wish they had extra bumpers for the long part

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Either EVGA is revamping their 3080 store page, or they're already getting hammered by bots refreshing the page.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for 3080 stock for my friend, but EVGA's 3080 page just keeps on "Error 17"ing me.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Either EVGA is revamping their 3080 store page, or they're already getting hammered by bots refreshing the page.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for 3080 stock for my friend, but EVGA's 3080 page just keeps on "Error 17"ing me.

j2x9AuF.png

Lots and lots of refreshing. Probably should've tried to check out with both of them instead of removing one and going through the refresh cycle again. Have a feeling it's gonna get denied by the time I make it anywhere.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I had a feeling that was what's happening. Well, guess my friend isn't going to be seeing a 3080 anytime soon. She's not exactly 'in the know' about the bonkers behavior around hotly anticipated/desired PC hardware launches.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So Canada Computers our big retailer Is doing a company wide backorder list.

I’m currently 151 on the list, but the company received 68 cards apparently today. Seems they have another large batch coming at end of week as well.

That’s just for the one SKU, so they are getting higher volume then I thought. Guy behind the counter gave me the queue lengths for each SKU and the incoming volumes. The TUF seemed like the quickest route.

He indicated I could have the card by Monday-Tuesday so here is hoping.

• Options
    And yep...by the time I managed to get to the actual store page, everything's out of stock.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    And yep...by the time I managed to get to the actual store page, everything's out of stock.

Yeah, by the time I refreshed my page, my cart was empty.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    new thread eh?

*sniff*

reeks of RGB!!!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Their success may have been due to an exposed API for Nvidia's online store. This enabled automated bots to immediately check the product's inventory and place orders.

Lol good job Nvidia. This was only their store but with the API folks didn't even have to bother with a store front. If they don't fix that, Captcha isn't going to do anything.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What an incredible oversight slash choice.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I love seeing the evgas going back in stock before even noeinstocks chat sees it. Only to get the card in my cart and have the site timeout over and over until I get into shipping 10 minutes later to be told whoops no that card you have in your cart ain't there anymore they allllll gone.

Really love it.

Maybe my technique was wrong and I should have been f5ing one tab instead of waiting for multiple to time out. I'm doubting its possible to get one from evgas site though as the same happened on the first day of sales as well. I still had a gaming ultra showing up in my cart with qty 0. Bots will always win.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options

You know what the best part of this whole EVGA restock thing is?

I heard that they were going to restock inventory of the 3080s yesterday, so I figured I'd wake up good and early this morning and just keep checking their store page. I kept refreshing their store page basically every 15 minutes until noon (PDT), when I figured that it was late enough, it either already happened and their supplies ran out quickly (again) or it wasn't going to happen today after all. So, I left my post to run over to UPS and ship my old 1080 to my friend. When I got back, that's when I checked and the store was getting hammered.

• Options

You know what the best part of this whole EVGA restock thing is?

I heard that they were going to restock inventory of the 3080s yesterday, so I figured I'd wake up good and early this morning and just keep checking their store page. I kept refreshing their store page basically every 15 minutes until noon (PDT), when I figured that it was late enough, it either already happened and their supplies ran out quickly (again) or it wasn't going to happen today after all. So, I left my post to run over to UPS and ship my old 1080 to my friend. When I got back, that's when I checked and the store was getting hammered.

I just refresh it every time I'm bored at work. So basically all day.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    In completely different news, if I were in the market for a mouse, what's the recommendation for those?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    In completely different news, if I were in the market for a mouse, what's the recommendation for those?

A mouse is a really subjective purchase. I'll keep buying Deathadders until the day I die but many people prefer ones with far more buttons or different shapes.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

A mouse is a really subjective purchase. I'll keep buying Deathadders until the day I die but many people prefer ones with far more buttons or different shapes.

I used Deathadders for the longest time, but each of them had a scroll wheel that would lose the clicky, and it would just get closer and closer to a smooth roller style scroll wheel. I've since switched to a mouse that has a scroll wheel adjustment dial, and couldn't be happier. It's still a Razer, but I went from a Deathadder Elite to a Basilisk.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Logitech infinite scroll/clicky scroll selector switch until the day I die.

• Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    I have nothing but good things to say about my Glorious Model O mouse. I'm gonna jump on the preorder for the wireless version on the 23rd.

• Options

I adore my Logitech G502. It looks weird, but it's super comfortable and smooth and weighty and performant.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

I adore my Logitech G502. It looks weird, but it's super comfortable and smooth and weighty and performant.

G502 squad represent

• Options
    The dream for me now is a 3 foot RGB mouse mat with rechargable area on the right side and a logitech G502 Lightspeed.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I've got a MX Master 2S, which is basically the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Every mouse needs that infinite scroll.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    #G502RideOrDie

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I've got a MX Master 2S, which is basically the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Every mouse needs that infinite scroll.

I love this mouse as well, I use it and a g502 Hero wireless mouse. The 2S for everything but those shooters.

• Options
    So, back in the way early days, I went through the Logitech MX510 -> MX518 -> G500. Then I made the jump to the G700/G700s. I'd burn through them in about a year because of how much WoW/Diablo 2 I was playing during those days. After Battlefield 3 came out, though, I jumped over to the Razers. Last Black Friday, though, I wanted to try the Logitechs again...so I picked up a G502 Hero because it was dirt cheap (under $30). I ended up returning it less than an hour after I bought it. Short version: the sensor was completely borked and it wouldn't track at all.

That kinda soured me on Logitechs.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my G403, G502, and G903. The G903 is by far my favorite. Combining the best parts of the G403 and G502 together and costing about as much as both of them put together too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm not well pleased with the reliability of Logitechs (I've gone through several G602s at this point). Microsoft hasn't been great either, at least with their Sculpt line.

Does anybody make a goddamn mouse where the switches (especially for the middle click) won't break within 6 months?

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I'm not well pleased with the reliability of Logitechs (I've gone through several G602s at this point). Microsoft hasn't been great either, at least with their Sculpt line.

Does anybody make a goddamn mouse where the switches (especially for the middle click) won't break within 6 months?

I've had 502s since 2016 and never had a single thing stop working on them...

I did however collapse the hell out of the Diablo 3 Steelseries mouse middle click.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    yunntxk8mtix.png

I'm still using it. I had an Anywhere Mouse MX (the 1st edition) that lasted from 2010-2019.

Logitech mice are solid, and I pretty much won't use anything else

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I use a G500 at work since about 2014.

I have a 2nd hand G502 and I've since bought 2 G502 Heroes as backups/replacements.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Mice are very personal. Even moreso than keyboards IMHO.

I have small hands, and ended up getting a Zowie FK2 after going through tons of other mice, everything from the very first Razer Boomslang to the fabled Logitech MX-518 (with a couple of G300 series along the way) to the first two iterations of the Microsoft Natural and a few of the more esoteric ergonomic mice (such as the infamous 3M joystick).

At the end of the day this Zowie FK2 is the only thing small and comfortable enough for me to use daily without running into RSI issues. But that's specific to me, my use cases, the size of my hands (they're small, but manly), etc. etc. etc.

I'd recommend finding somewhere with a liberal return policy and just trying a bunch for at least a week at a time and seeing how they work for you. (And if you do make use of that store's return policy, I'd hope that you would at least be willing to buy the final product from them in exchange rather than screwing them to save $5.)

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I've also burned through Logitechs like crazy. After my last G502 lasted just about a year I gave up. No more Logitechs for me.

Currently using a Roccat mouse and I love it so far, but I've only had it about 6 months yet.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ingore me

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Ingore me

SOMEONE LEFT A BABY

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    G502 is the way to go. Logi has great customer support too, my old model G502 developed a weird high pitched squeal whenever I used the scroll wheel, logitech shipped me out a new one, no questions asked, and since they didn't make the old model anymore upgraded me to the latest Hero model for "free".

Story Time:

So I dunno if anybody remembers but a couple years ago I built a new system based on a i5-8600. Didn't need the k and certainly didn't need the i7, great way to save money, system has been rocking ever since.

A couple weeks ago a good friend of mine contacted me to say that some pos 2 year old dell with a i7-8700 died. It's past warranty and he spent 2 weeks at work trying to figure out wtf happened. At this point he can't figure it out but all signs point to the mobo being bad. He doesn't have any other machines that'll slot that processor and I'm the only person he knows with that socket so he gave it to me for free.

I'm thinking, huh, neat way to go from 6 cores to 12 cores (hyperthreaded) for free, so why not. (note, realistically going from a 8600 to a 8700 will get you 1%... maaaybe 2% of a performance upgrade, this is a stupid upgrade, nobody should do this).

Anyways, finally get around to doing the swap tonight. took the system apart, marveled at how tiny this mITX system I built is, cleaned everything up, put the new processor is in, put everything back together, hit the power button, fans spin up aaaaaaaaand nothing.

long story short, the processor is dead. Took everything apart, put the i5 back in, put everything back together, and I'm good to go. But what a fucking weird thing. What in the hell would take out a processor that was in just a bog standard dell that wasn't being overclocked or anything like that. I've just never heard of a processor dying like this before.

On the plus side I gave everything a good clean and I'm really good at cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and then reattaching my low-profile Noctua cooler now lol.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    G502 is the way to go. Logi has great customer support too, my old model G502 developed a weird high pitched squeal whenever I used the scroll wheel, logitech shipped me out a new one, no questions asked, and since they didn't make the old model anymore upgraded me to the latest Hero model for "free".

Story Time:

So I dunno if anybody remembers but a couple years ago I built a new system based on a i5-8600. Didn't need the k and certainly didn't need the i7, great way to save money, system has been rocking ever since.

A couple weeks ago a good friend of mine contacted me to say that some pos 2 year old dell with a i7-8700 died. It's past warranty and he spent 2 weeks at work trying to figure out wtf happened. At this point he can't figure it out but all signs point to the mobo being bad. He doesn't have any other machines that'll slot that processor and I'm the only person he knows with that socket so he gave it to me for free.

I'm thinking, huh, neat way to go from 6 cores to 12 cores (hyperthreaded) for free, so why not. (note, realistically going from a 8600 to a 8700 will get you 1%... maaaybe 2% of a performance upgrade, this is a stupid upgrade, nobody should do this).

Anyways, finally get around to doing the swap tonight. took the system apart, marveled at how tiny this mITX system I built is, cleaned everything up, put the new processor is in, put everything back together, hit the power button, fans spin up aaaaaaaaand nothing.

long story short, the processor is dead. Took everything apart, put the i5 back in, put everything back together, and I'm good to go. But what a fucking weird thing. What in the hell would take out a processor that was in just a bog standard dell that wasn't being overclocked or anything like that. I've just never heard of a processor dying like this before.

On the plus side I gave everything a good clean and I'm really good at cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and then reattaching my low-profile Noctua cooler now lol.

Shit PSU that surged and fried the CPU?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Don't buy a Razer mouse. I'm on my third consecutive RMA replacement, from a lefty Deathadder to a Lancehead TE and now a Viper. All of them failed within the 2 year warranty, and the process for getting an RMA through Razer is horrifically slow. The only reason I'm still using one is all those RMAs were free. And it's not like they gave me free upgrades; they didn't have any lefty DAs in stock when mine died, didn't have any Lancehead TEs in stock when mine died, and I bet in another 18 months they won't have any Vipers in stock when this one dies.

I mean it's cool that they're honoring their warranty but it's not cool that I have to get used to a new mouse every 2 years instead of having something steady... and both the Lancehead TE and Viper are ambidextrous, not lefty mice like the DA was. I really liked the lefty DA.

This discussion has been closed.