As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court Vacancy

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Cruz and company are running scared that the Dems are going to pack the court, so instead of offering a compromise solution to the consternation over ACB's prospective judgeship they're going to pull the ladder up after her and flip everybody off as they ride into the sunset.
    It would need to pass with a two-thirds super majority in both the Senate and the House and need to be ratified by three-fourths of the states, or 38 of the 50 states, within seven years after its submission for ratification.

So...he's grandstanding.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It's peak Cruz posturing. It shows how scared they are that Dems are well and truly done with their ratfucking.

They aren't, of course, but the GOP thinks they might be.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's peak Cruz posturing. It shows how scared they are that Dems are well and truly done with their ratfucking.

I mean, the biggest corporate coward in the whole party (Rahm) is advocating for lower court expansion now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Rahm isn't in the Senate.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Cruz and company are running scared that the Dems are going to pack the court, so instead of offering a compromise solution to the consternation over ACB's prospective judgeship they're going to pull the ladder up after her and flip everybody off as they ride into the sunset.
    It would need to pass with a two-thirds super majority in both the Senate and the House and need to be ratified by three-fourths of the states, or 38 of the 50 states, within seven years after its submission for ratification.

So...he's grandstanding.

The cosponsors are GOP senators in close races, so my guess is that they think trying to make the race into a referendum on packing the Court will be good for them. Even if a constitutional amendment is obviously not going anywhere, they can still use it as fodder in their races.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Expanding the court requires both houses.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The GOP calculation is that things will settle somewhere between the two political party's respective postions of "this is tyranny or whatever" and "we dont want to talk about that", which works in their favor.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I want to see a Dem counter-proposal amendment that offers the court to be sized proportionally based on the population. lets take a size based of, oh say, the "good old times" of 1940, when there were 9 Justices for roughly 130 million people. That means today we would wind up with somewhere around 26 Justices. Also lets limit them to 18 year terms while we're at it.

Both sides agree the court should represent the choice of the people, and what better way to represent people by having more equal representation!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One side believes that. The other wants only certain people to count.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    point of clarification, there's no time limit on states ratifying the amendment in the Constitution itself, which is the argument in favor of adopting the ERA now that it has been ratified by enough states

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Expanding the court requires both houses.

Rahm isn't elected, but he's still influential for stupid reasons.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hes a big part of why the Obama Administration ignored the judiciary

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

So...he's grandstanding.

The cosponsors are GOP senators in close races, so my guess is that they think trying to make the race into a referendum on packing the Court will be good for them. Even if a constitutional amendment is obviously not going anywhere, they can still use it as fodder in their races.

Daines had tried that, but it hasn't been working, given that I haven't seen any of those ads in the past few weeks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    point of clarification, there's no time limit on states ratifying the amendment in the Constitution itself, which is the argument in favor of adopting the ERA now that it has been ratified by enough states

Isn't it really the argument for it already being ratified, we just haven't admitted it yet because there's also nothing that stops a state from un-ratifying a potential amendment

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Isn't it really the argument for it already being ratified, we just haven't admitted it yet because there's also nothing that stops a state from un-ratifying a potential amendment

my understanding is there is no clear answer whether a state can un-ratify after the fact because states have before but it hasn't yet actually mattered

like Ohio and New Jersey rescinded their ratifications of the 14th but there were enough other states ratifying that it didn't affect the outcome so, basically, no one cared

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I mean, the biggest corporate coward in the whole party (Rahm) is advocating for lower court expansion now.

Expand the number of circuits to 15, splitting up the Trump nominees, create a bunch of new judge spots in the new districts to balance them out, and up the number of seats on SCOTUS to match the number of circuits (15). Could even suggest/require one justice from each circuit, with past justices exempt/assigned one for the time being.

Our Courts take way too long to do anything as it is, so there is a practical reason to do this, beyond the political one.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Expand the number of circuits to 15, splitting up the Trump nominees, create a bunch of new judge spots in the new districts to balance them out, and up the number of seats on SCOTUS to match the number of circuits (15). Could even suggest/require one justice from each circuit, with past justices exempt/assigned one for the time being.

Our Courts take way too long to do anything as it is, so there is a practical reason to do this, beyond the political one.

When you say 'splitting up all the Trump nominees', do you perhaps mean 'Assigning all the Trump nominees to serve on the courts 15th district, responsible for cases originating in those US territories surrounding McMurdo base in Antarctica, but excluding the base itself'

I look forward to their judgment on the case of Peter the Penguin vs US Government.

Kavanaugh can be their associated Supreme Court Justice.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The folks at LGM propose a scenario:
    Submitted for your approval:

(1) Biden wins the presidency by 15 million votes and the Dems take 54 Senate seats.

(2) A week later Alito and/or Thomas announce their retirements.

(3) ???

This would pretty much provoke the Court's expansion.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    note for clarity: that's not "a week after the transfer of power", that's "a week after the election, so Trump gets to have nominated/appointed five relatively young and thoroughly deplorable Justices".

at that point, I think even I would be in favor of just burning it to the ground and starting over.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

(1) Biden wins the presidency by 15 million votes and the Dems take 54 Senate seats.

(3) ???

why do you say that

• Options
    to me that's a really obvious case of overestimating the odds of something you want to happen

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Shorty wrote: »
    to me that's a really obvious case of overestimating the odds of something you want to happen

Agreed

That assumes Alito and Thomas would individually want to give up their positions

and a lot of moderates are still kind of squeamish about court packing, and Alito and Thomas doing that would probably do a lot to get them on board

We should be so lucky to get that kind of mandate; we need to do it anyways so the political cover would be nice

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

The idea here is that the GOP would rush through confirmation on two 12 year olds who have been raised on Prager U videos.

• Options

Agreed

That assumes Alito and Thomas would individually want to give up their positions

and a lot of moderates are still kind of squeamish about court packing, and Alito and Thomas doing that would probably do a lot to get them on board

We should be so lucky to get that kind of mandate; we need to do it anyways so the political cover would be nice

Its also kind of a bad ideological read on Thomas

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    News aggregator

Schumer isnt angry, he's just disappointed.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

(3) ???

I mean, this would be quite clearly the best possible thing for us which could conceivably happen. Its so utterly mind bogglingly unfair that no democrat would give a monkeys what we did to the court afterwards.

The SMART play from Republicans is to have Alito step down after the election, saying that he feels he has served his time and has upmost faith in the process and for him to literally go on and on about how wonderful the court is, and how great it is that Biden will pick his replacement and how excellent that person will be. All sorts of glad handing and 'good faith' theater.

But then, after all of that, it's still a 5-4 court with 4 of the Republican justices being wingnuts and Roberts being the deciding vote. Which is best for Republicans by a mile, because Roberts will screw the base on social issues, but deliver on business and political corruption issues.

It would be a genius plan to retain control of the court despite a big loss to democrats. Anyone who spoke of court partisanship again would be faced with a barrage of "WHAT ABOUT ALITO! He stepped down for Bidens appointee, the court is wonderful!"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    News aggregator

What were you expecting him to say?

Like, he's not going to decapitate her and hold her severed head up for the masses.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Alito and Thomas probably assume they'll live until they're 90. I doubt they retire unless there are somehow underlying health problems we haven't heard about.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options

The idea here is that the GOP would rush through confirmation on two 12 year olds who have been raised on Prager U videos.

yes, I'm aware

I don't see how it follows that this would make the court's expansion inevitable

• Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    Alito and Thomas probably assume they'll live until they're 90. I doubt they retire unless there are somehow underlying health problems we haven't heard about.

Thomas has stated many times that he'll die with a gavel in his hands.

• Options
    Alito was only appointed, what, like 15 years ago?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

Thomas has stated many times that he'll die with a gavel in his hands.

Thomas' ideology isn't Republican so much as it is FYGM.

• Options

yes, I'm aware

I don't see how it follows that this would make the court's expansion inevitable

it would provide an immediate casus belli showing the current court is hopelessly partisan and corrupted

it's not going to happen and is a strange flight of fancy, but that's the idea behind it

• Options
    edited October 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    News aggregator

What were you expecting him to say?

Like, he's not going to decapitate her and hold her severed head up for the masses.

Ah yes, the two options on how leadership could have handled this fiasco.

Tell me youre going to dismantle your seniority system.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

BTW, this is actually way the SCotUS was expanded, like, twice. Because of new districts being created

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

BTW, this is actually way the SCotUS was expanded, like, twice. Because of new districts being created

Excellent. There being precedent helps the sale.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Excellent. There being precedent helps the sale.

You also tie the District expansion to population. You sell it as "the current size of the judiciary was set in 1981, and the US has grown considerably since then. Therefore we need to expand the courts"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Barrett's approval rsting is up, including an 18 point increase among Democrats.

A majority now say she should be confirmed.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/21/supreme-court-hearings-barrett-confirmation-polling/

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Barrett's approval rsting is up, including an 18 point increase among Democrats.

A majority now say she should be confirmed.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/21/supreme-court-hearings-barrett-confirmation-polling/

Oh for fucks sake.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    In case anyone needed a reminder that the extent of most people's political desires are a "return to normalcy", and not an inch further.