Options

[Genshin Impact] Breath of the Gacha (1.2 out now!)

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    Welp, the free tokens showed up. My prior rolls have not been great. The game gave me two Xiangliangs back to back, which while she's decent, I would have preferred variety at this point. I didn't get Venti this time, which isn't a surprise, but it did give me both Fischl and Barbara. I really wanted Fischl after using her in the event fight, so that was nice to see.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Fischl is fun. I need some target practice area to figure out her new move after first ascension though, since I can't really tell when it's going off right.

I can't decide if her profile is being serious or she's just an edgelord. "Immernachtreich"? Really?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Should we be putting player id's in the first post?
    Mine's 600330931

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    You know how long it took me to realize Fischl is Odin. I mean, not really in the game or anything. Just, she is Odin.

It took me until this very moment.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    You know how long it took me to realize Fischl is Odin. I mean, not really in the game or anything. Just, she is Odin.

It took me until this very moment.

One eye? Raven familiar? Lightning? Yep. She's basically drawing on all those motifs.

• Options
    That said, she is 100% chuunibyou and I love it.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is my game bugged or is VENTI copying PAIMON and no one is commenting on it?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

It would, however, be an amusing play on the archetype if all that stuff was true.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Is my game bugged or is VENTI copying PAIMON and no one is commenting on it?

heh, that's definitely an awkward moment. It's just that scene though

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

It would, however, be an amusing play on the archetype if all that stuff was true.

That would be dangerous levels of meta! I doubt the system could take it!

• Options
    So the gf just used her free 10 intertwined fates: Venti, Keqing, Fischl. You know, the kind of pull that people brag about but you never see yourself.

Meanwhile my luck has been terrible. Go figure!

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    So the gf just used her free 10 intertwined fates: Venti, Keqing, Fischl. You know, the kind of pull that people brag about but you never see yourself.

Clearly your GF is some sort of luck-vampire.

• Options

Clearly your GF is some sort of luck-vampire.

No joke this happens on other gacha games too. Me: "Oh man I really want that character!" Her next pull she gets it. Every. Time.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when that transferred to this game.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Question: How much does this game feel like a proper "game" vs a mobile game?

What I mean is more in scope. When I played Honkai, the game was all very tiny arenas and very tiny areas that were so clearly designed so a mobile device/small screen area could handle it. Are the fights larger in scale and feel more appropriate? Do the mechanics feel deep enough that there is actual "getting good" vs "I have 2 buttons to press?"

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Must restrain self from pulling at all till we get out of the "you can get these free later" banner.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    It feels more like a PC game built to assume the confines of a mobile platform.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Really enjoying Breath of the Waifu so far. Still need to do my beginner draw.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

What I mean is more in scope. When I played Honkai, the game was all very tiny arenas and very tiny areas that were so clearly designed so a mobile device/small screen area could handle it. Are the fights larger in scale and feel more appropriate? Do the mechanics feel deep enough that there is actual "getting good" vs "I have 2 buttons to press?"

They tested some "open world" stuff in Honkai but that was really just a precursor to this game. This game does have a few smaller arenas for certain repeatable content but the vast majority of it takes place in a huge overworld, it absolutely does feel more like a proper console game than other games of the genre.

Each character has an attack (including charge attacks), an elemental skill, and their elemental burst. Then you can also swap between characters on the fly (much like Honkai) however, the interactions between characters and the environment lets you be a lot more intentional with combos. You can for example, light an enemy on fire then use a wind character to spread that fire around to other enemies. But you can also do the same if you're near a torch or some other fire source. There's some value in scoping out an area a bit using things to your advantage. It's definitely a lot more nuanced than Honkai's rock paper scissors setup.

Some things are properly more simple than they would need to be in order for it to feel decent enough on mobile, but when playing on PC it's actually real easy to forget that this is also a mobile title.

• Options
    Really though all I care about is all the dogs that I can impress.

Bp4oubM.jpg

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Some of the Q abilities have some SERIOUS combo potential.

I know that if you do Amber’s followed by the MC’s you create a fire tornado!

The element mixing is great. To get that tornado you only really need some kind of fire, not just from an ability.

I'm very fond of using lightning on enemies standing in puddles, personally.

Wind in particular seems to mostly act as an amplify/spread type effect.

Oh hey, on a whim I looked in to this and you are right!

Wind and Geo are kind of amplifiers to the other elements. Wind and Geo can combo with any of the others. Though not with each other I believe.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I don’t play much mobile and I’m on PS4 and loving this. Feels like a legit game to me.

Combat is fun. Swapping between 4 chars to cause combos is legit. It’s not a hard game but the combat is as good as something like the Batman Arkham games imo but not as good as something like dark souls?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Watching a Notkoblin with a flaming club charge at me, swing, miss and setting the ground on fire which then spreads out of control because of my wind magic and subsequently sets all the other Notkoblins on fire and then me switching to a Lightning user and dealing MASSIVE DAMAGE has yet to get old for me.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If you're on the America server they were handing out a code you can redeem for a little extra primos and mora: Genshin0928N

Can redeem it at https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift

No idea how long it'll last or if there's anything else about a specific AR before you can redeem it, I just redeemed it and it worked fine though.

Didn't work at 10. Worked at 11.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Found this useful.

in1dRNu.jpg

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    If you're on the America server they were handing out a code you can redeem for a little extra primos and mora: Genshin0928N

Can redeem it at https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift

No idea how long it'll last or if there's anything else about a specific AR before you can redeem it, I just redeemed it and it worked fine though.

Didn't work at 10. Worked at 11.

Can this be claimed by PS4 players? I haven't figured out how to do it if it can.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Huzzah! Coop unlocked!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm beginning to think Paimon is the best mascot character in ages.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to think Paimon is the best emergency food character in ages.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Against my better judgment, I think I’m going to spend some money on this game. This is almost certainly a mistake. For the benefit of future generations I’m going to document my folly.

Purpose: To accurately capture how much I spend per 5* character and how frequently I am able to pull on banners. Also, to punish myself.

Plan: Purchase the monthly currency pass ($5) and the bi-monthly battle pass ($10) for a total of $10/month. Only spend primo/crystals/stardust on Intertwined Fates. Only pull on limited-time banners and only if I have enough to use the 180-pull guaranteed on-banner safety net (primo value of 28800). Only pull until I get the featured unit on the banner. I may skip a banner even if I have the resources available if I don’t like the featured unit. Be moderately efficient with my time in game (but I’m not going to play if I’m not having fun so this whole thing could fail in two weeks).

Prediction*: After one year I’ll have 6-9 5* characters (including dupes), of which 3-5 will be featured units. Average cost per 5* will be $13-$20 and average time between pulls will be around 3 months, with the time to first pull being closer to 4 months. Random 5*s pulled from the standard banner using Acquaint Fates, or given out in events, if any, will be excluded.

*My real prediction is that I will burn out and stop playing completely inside of two months.

Entry #1 (and possibly last)
    Entry: 1
    Date: 9/29/2020
    Days played: 3
    Adv. Rank: 14
    Money spent: 5
    Pulls available: 22

Banners used: 0
    Pulls used: 0
    5*s: 0
    Featured 5*s: 0
    6p8bxn2yj0td.png

Ugh.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Battle Pass? Don't see it.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Unlocks at 20. Which... I'm kind of surprised by them stuffing it that far in.

Polaritie on
  • Options

I was gonna say something similar too since that is typically the bread and butter of western games. Then I remembered gacha.

Still, it is a surprising.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Think I've settled into a pretty decent main comp for the time being. I'm liking what they do and how they work with each other:

Bennett: Fire DPS, plus a useful support burst. I like him more than Xiangling as I can spam Bennett's E a lot more often than the delayed bear from Xiangling. Helps that I have his first constellation to remove the hp caps for the ATK boost.
    Fischl: Electro DPS to combo with Bennett. Main damage dealer for obvious reasons.
    Ningguang: She's current the flex slot, but I like her homing shots and her minimap ore location reveal (honestly this is the best part about her).
    Noelle: Party healer. Setup for lots of HP and DEF to pump out those heals. Have her 1st ascension so I typically switch to her, immediately pop E + Q and start healing for 200 hp per hit 100% of the time. She also deals a boatload of damage, but she's mostly there to ensure I can immediately heal the party.

Today I also learned that (at least for keyboard) there is a special "Switch to character and immediately use their elemental burst" button, so uh, that's going to save some button mashing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just quit out of a boss fight because the PAUSE button has this functionality for some reason and god damned CIRCLE is confirm.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    For my first pull I got Jean and Sucrose. (Also Noelle, obviously) Pretty awesome!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I feel like I almost want Elemental Mastery on everyone after seeing how much it scales (handy breakdown in the Details section of attributes). And it affects the strength of shield bubbles from people like Noelle.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

Yeaaah, you'd think they would throw anything you can spend money on up much earlier but here we are.

The good news is it tracks everything done before it unlocks. If you hit AR 20 before the reset (think this is on Sundays?) you can claim any weekly stuff you may have already done. I've seen systems where they don't track until you've unlocked it and this is uhh, better, obviously.

• Options
    You'll certain want it for all the Mages. All their basic attacks are Elemental so it gets a big boost from Elemental Mastery.

For melee it isn't super important. Sure it buffs up the Q/E abilities but you'll want ATK for, well, basic attacks.

Archers seems to be a bit of a mix depending on how you use them. I almost always do the charge attack, which makes it Elemental. So Elemental Mastery would be nice. However I am also aiming for the Crit spots, so Crit DMG is good too.

• Options

I was gonna say something similar too since that is typically the bread and butter of western games. Then I remembered gacha.

They are actually surprisingly not at all in your face with the MTX in this game at all. It’s a nice surprise.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Ard wrote: »

They are actually surprisingly not at all in your face with the MTX in this game at all. It’s a nice surprise.

Despite how stingy I think the Gacha is, I do have to agree.

I'm no stranger to Gacha games (or any game with a Cash Shop for that matter) and pretty much all of them constantly try to draw your attention to the Cash Shop and Banners. With flashy things or a character straight up telling you to check it out or a splash screen when you load in to the game. This game doesn't do any of that. Aside from that one part in the beginning when they have the tutorial to show you where to go and how to do it. They've since not had anything to advertise the shop, as far as I'm aware. Hell, even when I open the menu I need to actually look for the Wish button.

Axen on