As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Genshin Impact] Breath of the Gacha (1.2 out now!)

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oh nice. Just used a random stone WISH thing I got and was able to get the BARBARA cook character. She's pretty good and now I have more defensive options. . .

However, I'm not finding the game that difficult honestly. Are things going to pick up because these dungeons haven't been too hair raising.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Oh nice. Just used a random stone WISH thing I got and was able to get the BARBARA cook character. She's pretty good and now I have more defensive options. . .

However, I'm not finding the game that difficult honestly. Are things going to pick up because these dungeons haven't been too hair raising.

The main story probably isn't going to be that difficult overall. The difficult content right now is found in Spiral Abyss which unlocks at AR 20 and it's basically floors of fights with modifiers and such and you can't use items.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

The main story probably isn't going to be that difficult overall. The difficult content right now is found in Spiral Abyss which unlocks at AR 20 and it's basically floors of fights with modifiers and such and you can't use items.

I've run into some fights where I didn't watch terrain and... well. Ice slimes in pools of water is a bad time. Tried again and didn't fight in the water and it went much better.

If you're pumping up stats and such, yeah, it goes pretty smoothly.

Ms lightning archer is pretty silly with her autoturret. First ascension and she can shoot the bird to make it fire an AoE blast? Still haven't quite figured that all out but. Enemies that are wet have a really bad time with her.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It was level 10, I was able to snag it as soon as I hit 10.

Is this like the other gacha's where you want to pull every banner till you at least get the 4*, or do you only ever want to save till you can get the guaranteed 5?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It was level 10, I was able to snag it as soon as I hit 10.

Is this like the other gacha's where you want to pull every banner till you at least get the 4*, or do you only ever want to save till you can get the guaranteed 5?

It's up to you, it's actually fairly easy to get the 4*s. You'll get at least 1 4* every 10 pulls and on the banner it's a 50% chance to get 1 of the 3 featured 4*s. With that being said both Barbara and Xiangling can be had for free through other means. Fischl is the only one that's unique to this banner. But tbh dupes aren't a bad thing.

As far as we know pity doesn't carry between banners though so if you really want a 5* you are better off saving.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So what is progression in this game? You just level up characters to 20 and then...? I read something about unlocking talents or something through copies but that part of it isn't something I've encountered yet.

Went into this more or less completely blind, my party members are all level 10ish as are their weapons. What's the intended loop, since it seems different than most other progression games I've ever played?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    The anti-cheat update is out, restarted my client and then just quit out, the driver does stop automatically now.

In fact, it seems to be uninstalled completely after you exit, and reinstalled when you start the game the next time.

I guess that works, here's what my testing looks like:
    Game booting:
    SERVICE_NAME: mhyprot2
    TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
    STATE : 4 RUNNING
    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0

At login screen and while playing:
    STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

Immediately after quitting:
    STATE : 1 STOPPED

5-10s after the above:
    [SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Does the game still load the driver from an unprivileged AppData\Local\temp directory like in the beta? That seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. I hope someone does proper security audit of the thing. It seems like they've addressed the most obviously problematic behavior in hopes that people will forget about the rest of it.

Frem on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Hit AR7, took the first roll on the newbie banner

buJesnMl.png

Well, I've had worse.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    The maid actually feels pretty good to use.

Tonight I found out the main character can change skillset (by reaching a new region's map towers). Explosively summoning obstacles is a cute trick, for sure.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Noelle is really solid, yea. She can dish out a lot of healing with her shields up and deals decent damage while doing so.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    So what is progression in this game? You just level up characters to 20 and then...? I read something about unlocking talents or something through copies but that part of it isn't something I've encountered yet.

Went into this more or less completely blind, my party members are all level 10ish as are their weapons. What's the intended loop, since it seems different than most other progression games I've ever played?

First off, in case you're not aware, monster exp is extremely minor. You'll be leveling up your characters using pages/books you pick up and you can do this in the character menu.

Max character level is determined by a character's ascensions. The number of ascensions you can do is determined by your AR. Starting at AR15 you can do the first ascension on a character which increases their level cap from 20 to 40. To ascend a character it requires materials, for the first ascensions these are all pretty common materials but it gets tougher and tougher to ascend. Ascensions also unlock Talents and Talent levels which will further increase your character's strength.

Each character also has a constellation with 6 nodes. Each node can be unlocked by getting a duplicate of that character. These are passive abilities which modify your other abilities. Constellations as a system can be largely ignored since it requires dupes and they're by no means required BUT if you get a dupe don't fret, the abilities here can be VERY good. They're just not necessary.

That's it for characters, weapons can also be leveled up (there's level up mats here, but also you can feed it other weapons) and refined (which requires weapon dupes and increases a weapon's innate passive ability). Artifacts can be enhanced using other artifacts, this will increase their stats and give them additional stat bonuses.

If your first thought is "wow that's a lot that goes into building a character" you are correct, grinding is sort of the nature of these games. Completely maxing out a character takes quite a bit of investment but then that character can last you for a very long time. If you plan to just play through the story you'll probably not have to grind a whole lot though, maxing out characters is mostly so you can tackle the hard stuff like the upper floors of Spiral Abyss.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2020
    In the Paimons Bargains section of the shop tab, you can buy up to 5 intertwined fates with the bonus stardust currency you get for pulling. I mention it because the shop inventory refreshes in two days (after which we can buy 5 more, maybe?), and it seems like a good deal.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Started this last night. Did enough to summon 4 times on the standard banner praying for Jean. Got Fischl, some Sword Boy, Razer or whatever his name is. And then a double-4star sword and bow weapon multi. Considering you get a 4star from the Abyss and Barabara from hitting Rank 20, I think Im gonna cut my losses.

Really wanted Jean though :(

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You can get Xiangling at AR20 as well. Have to complete an event/challenge thing though.

She seems pretty good.

For Babs I’m not really sure how I should be using her.

Noelle is rock solid.

I also have Chongyun, icy boy with a two-hander. Been using him quite a bit.

My current lineup is MC, Amber, Lisa and Chongyun. I think tonight I’ll play around a bit with party comp and see if there is another combo I really like.

Edit- oh now that I think about it I believe you can get Jean through some challenge as well. Jean and I think another 4* Kaeya.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    In the Paimons Bargains section of the shop tab, you can buy up to 5 intertwined fates with the bonus stardust currency you get for pulling. I mention it because the shop inventory refreshes in two days (after which we can buy 5 more, maybe?), and it seems like a good deal.

I wish I knew which of these things were good and which were traps at this point.

• Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    You can get Xiangling at AR20 as well. Have to complete an event/challenge thing though.

She seems pretty good.

For Babs I’m not really sure how I should be using her.

Noelle is rock solid.

I also have Chongyun, icy boy with a two-hander. Been using him quite a bit.

My current lineup is MC, Amber, Lisa and Chongyun. I think tonight I’ll play around a bit with party comp and see if there is another combo I really like.

Edit- oh now that I think about it I believe you can get Jean through some challenge as well. Jean and I think another 4* Kaeya.

:o If so (info isn’t forthcoming) thats both great and also sad. Ida saved!

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    If you open up the main menu (the one that has Character, Party, Wish, etc) on the left hand side of the screen should be some tabs. One says “Events”. There it lists the current events, what the rewards are and what you have to do. One of them should involve Jean and Kaeya IIRC, the other involves Xiangling.

• Options
    These flying missions are super hard on mobile.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Boy this game is fun.

I don’t have a switch so I dunno how close bow this is. But it actually has a little elder scrolls vibe to me. Just my ability to set off to do something simple and end up half way across the world no where near my objective

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Oh, it's doing a pretty good job of drawing on BotW in places. I really like how they've got element combinations set up for combat, it strongly encourages cycling your party and such. Although there isn't any equivalent to shrines really. Plenty of encouragement to explore around though with the stamina upgrades.

Random enemy camps/puzzles are more rewarding than BotW though since a chest of materials is more attractive than another weapon you already have. And can often be rolled right through by using aforementioned element combos to just go nuts.

• Options
    Yeah I just throw down my thunder bird and my fire breathing teddy bear and the combo effects murder faces

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Yeah while I’ve no doubt the Devs were inspired by BoTW I wouldn’t say it is a 1:1 comparison. Probably like, 1:0.5.

On a different note,

So I assume these random NPCs all over will eventually have a related quest. Because if not then holy hell did the writers go above and beyond with them.

With just a handful of lines you get a real solid sense of these random NPCs; what they are like, what their worries are, who they are connected to.

• Options
    Yeah while I’ve no doubt the Devs were inspired by BoTW I wouldn’t say it is a 1:1 comparison. Probably like, 1:0.5.

On a different note,

So I assume these random NPCs all over will eventually have a related quest. Because if not then holy hell did the writers go above and beyond with them.

With just a handful of lines you get a real solid sense of these random NPCs; what they are like, what their worries are, who they are connected to.

A decent chunk seem to have a gift for you if you talk to them correctly.

Also I noticed there’s a day night cycle maybe? I was in the church and about to talk to someone and it swapped over and a new more mysterious guy was there

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »

On a different note,

Also I noticed there’s a day night cycle maybe? I was in the church and about to talk to someone and it swapped over and a new more mysterious guy was there

There is, and there's a wait option to skip it around for things.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    There's eventually a tutorial that teaches you about the time skip, but it's a fair way into the story.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

On a different note,

Oh, is -that- why? I went to the church to talk to the NPC I heard about but she wasn't there and that diplomat was. I thought I might have to go clear the first main quest temples or something...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The Breath of the Wild influence is so completely shameless there’s even that moment where you walk up to a vista at the beginning and you look out over an expanse of grassy hills and the title card drops in the lower right hand corner

Like it’s fine, there should be more BotW clones, but also MAN that’s specific and funny to me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question about this game...

I was looking at it a bit and the thing that holds me back the most from diving in is it looks like each character basically has just a couple of moves they start with and that's all they ever have?

Is that correct? Feels like that might get a bit old pretty fast just using the same 3 special moves you start with for the whole game.

• Options
    edited September 2020

I was looking at it a bit and the thing that holds me back the most from diving in is it looks like each character basically has just a couple of moves they start with and that's all they ever have?

Is that correct? Feels like that might get a bit old pretty fast just using the same 3 special moves you start with for the whole game.

I can’t speak for the particulars, because I’m not quite there yet. So I’m not sure how/if moves change (I think they get modifiers?).

What I can say is that every single character (of which there is a LOT) has their own unique special moves. You will be mixing and matching party members and switching between them in combat quite often.

Axen on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I can’t speak for the particulars, because I’m not quite there yet. So I’m not sure how/if moves change (I think they get modifiers?).

What I can say is that every single character (of which there is a LOT) has their own unique special moves. You will be mixing and matching party members and switching between them in combat quite often.

Oh wait, I just noticed watching a stream that your party isn't active at once and it's actually reliant on just swapping the player character?

If so that may actually be all I need to know that this isn't a game for me. I like sticking to one main character to play as(don't mind if I have to wait a bit to unlock that character but once I get there I would want to only play them) and if there a team letting AI handle the rest even if it's not the most efficient.

If that's just not an option at all here than it's a hard pass from me.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Oh wait, I just noticed watching a stream that your party isn't active at once and it's actually reliant on just swapping the player character?

If so that may actually be all I need to know that this isn't a game for me. I like sticking to one main character to play as(don't mind if I have to wait a bit to unlock that character but once I get there I would want to only play them) and if there a team letting AI handle the rest even if it's not the most efficient.

Yeah I'd look at it more as building team compositions than building a single character. Interplay between the various abilities of your party members is kind of the thing with the battle system.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah the game seems built around hot-swapping between characters almost like switching between weapons mid-combo in Devil May Cry or whatever

You're essentially unlocking new moves for you, the player, to perform, rather than whole new characters with full movesets

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The Breath of the Wild influence is so completely shameless there’s even that moment where you walk up to a vista at the beginning and you look out over an expanse of grassy hills and the title card drops in the lower right hand corner

Like it’s fine, there should be more BotW clones, but also MAN that’s specific and funny to me

Remember in 2017 we were saying that BotW is going to be a huge influence for future titles? Here we are, and at least so far, it seems Mihoyo took at least some of the right lessons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Yeah I'd look at it more as building team compositions than building a single character. Interplay between the various abilities of your party members is kind of the thing with the battle system.

Got it. Thanks for the info! Just not a game for me then.

• Options
    Coming from playing Elderscrolls online and swapping weapons and getting a new skill bar

Swapping the characters feels right at home. The cooldown on the abilities don’t pause when you’re off that character I don’t think so you can do some insane burst to open up fights chain comboing abilities

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Some of the Q abilities have some SERIOUS combo potential.

I know that if you do Amber’s followed by the MC’s you create a fire tornado!

Axen on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Is the game controller compatible on PC?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The element mixing is great. To get that tornado you only really need some kind of fire, not just from an ability.

I'm very fond of using lightning on enemies standing in puddles, personally.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Is the game controller compatible on PC?

Yes.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

The element mixing is great. To get that tornado you only really need some kind of fire, not just from an ability.

I'm very fond of using lightning on enemies standing in puddles, personally.

Wind in particular seems to mostly act as an amplify/spread type effect.