As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linux Multimedia solutions

SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I have an old P4 PC lying around and I was wondering if I could make it awesome. Are there any decent Linux distributions that could turn a PC into something like a Slingbox or a media server or something? I'm wanting Linux because I'm cheap.

Samphis on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    My memory works well enough to know that there is some sort of Linux based Windows Media Centre type of thing. My memory doesn't work well enough to allow me to tell you what it was called. So in answer to your question, yes.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ubuntu is extremely easy to install and use. I had a few problems with my video card, but in relatively short order I was watching avi files on my TV. MythTV is a popular DVR program for Linux, and I'll be installing that as soon as school's out and I have some time to waste. It can be easily configured to work with a remote, but I'm going to get a Bluetooth dongle and try to get it working with my wiimote.

Mmm, wiimote controlled anime in linux. It's like a geek perfect storm.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MythTV is what you are looking for.

I also think there is a Live CD for Myth TV based on Knoppix (a linux Distribution).

Basically you boot your PC off the CD rather than the harddrive and it goes striaght into MYthTV. Then you can check it works fine - and if you like it, install it.

If you get a TV capture card - MythTV will work with that too Though it's incredibly important you check it's compatible first.

Lave II on
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty_hardware_list <-- a list of the status of various TV Tuner cards and how they work with the latest version of Ubuntu (7.04). Page also has a link for setting up MythTV on various versions of Ubuntu.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    I also think there is a Live CD for Myth TV based on Knoppix (a linux Distribution).

Basically you boot your PC off the CD rather than the harddrive and it goes striaght into MYthTV. Then you can check it works fine - and if you like it, install it.

If you get a TV capture card - MythTV will work with that too Though it's incredibly important you check it's compatible first.

KnoppMyth. There's a MythTV hardware reference here and a database of hardware people are currently using here.

japan on