Quit your [job] thread

1910121415100

Posts

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    sarukun wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    The company I use to work for, where my wife currently works, decided they need to get in touch with its younger employees. So they assembled a Millennial Task Squad (literally what they called it) to find out why more young people don't work for the company.

    They didn't have a single one working at their headquarters in Kentucky apparently, and asked managers at the one here to find 5-7 people for this Squad. All of them are friends of mine, and most of them are from the same department. They did not ask my wife because as her boss said "You feel older then a millennial". Which feels stupid? Anyway the 5 person team, were given a survey to fill out about what things would entice millennials and maybe even Gen Z to work at the company, I was told 'High wages' and 'Better benefits' were not included, neither was 'more vacation' but 'flexible vacation' was.

    All 5 of them write in higher wages and better benefits and the task force was never again assembled.

    I think I'm gonna get a tattoo that just says "FUCKIN' PAY ME".

    Don't be silly, they can't do that.

    How about a breakfast snack tray every morning with avocado toast (one slice per worker)? That's a thing Millenials like, right?
    (Oh, but one of you will have to make it, because no Boomer would ever enjoy anything so frivolous.* Materials will be provided, though!)

    (* montage of last third of 20th century goes here)

    Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    CelloCambiataBucketman
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I have to wonder about companies that are still trying to get millennial to work for them. I have so many questions.

    Do they realize that millennials are mid/late 20s to late 30s, almost 40 now? Have they struggled to hire and retain people in their early 30s recently? Do they actually employ anybody under the age of 40 long term? A sizable portion of millenials have not only finished college themselves long ago, but they also have kids who are in or have even finished college too! Are they so out of step that they just use "millennial" to mean any young person currently or just recently exited from college? Do they not see any of this as giant honking red flags screaming about a major institutional problem?

    Actually I know their answer to that last one.
    888.jpg

    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    OrcaJansonDisruptedCapitalistBucketmanJragghenAistanMulysaSemproniusZonugalFishmanElvenshaespono
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Radiation wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    You gotta get out there in your best suit and tie and a bundle of resumes and pound the pavement.

    Just pound the ever loving heck outta that nasty, filthy, dirty pavement until it can't handle it anymore and then make it some waffles with whipped cream and strawberries.

    And a firm fucking handshake! Also go into the store and ask to see the manager! That shows initiative!

    The death of the handshake is absolutely something millennials want, we should add that to the list

    God I'd be pleased to never have to do a handshake again

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    expendableMoridin8893clipsetynicPolaritieTheStigDecatusDonovan PuppyfuckerSporkAndrewKayne Red RobeDouglasDangerDisruptedCapitalistMagic PinkCambiataRadiationAl_watBucketmanJedocJaysonFourL Ron HowardN1tSt4lkerAistan
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    I think it is honestly a problem for a lot of companies.

    As one of the, like, elder millennials who was around for pogs or whatever, I've always really just wanted my employer to be run well, not do evil shit all the god damned time, and treat employees with dignity.

    I feel like it says a lot about the people managing these companies that they hear that and then go "well that's not realistic maybe we could do a free breakfast thing or possibly hire a consultant to explain how else I might distract you from those simple and clearly communicated needs"

    expendableCommander Zoomgodmode3clipsePolaritieJansonASimPersonDonovan PuppyfuckerSolarlonelyahavaSkeithCalicaKayne Red RobeDouglasDangerOghulkDisruptedCapitalistCambiataCormacToxAl_watDoodmannBucketmanJaysonFourJragghenDarkPrimusIloveslimesL Ron HowardN1tSt4lkerSleepZonugalElvenshaeDoctorArch
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    The perks are basically a selling point for exactly one job where you get them (free meals, a monthly free beer day, whatever)

    But past the first three months or so it becomes pretty clear when they're just trying to patch the holes in their workplace culture/benefits/pay structure, or worse, to convince the younger millenials/Gen Zs to stick around the office unpaid for several extra hours before they figure out that work-life balance is important and then get churned out for fresh blood

    I guess I'd enjoy the foosball table more if I was paid well in a non-hostile workplace with a supportive boss but I've never had all at once, so who can say

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Kayne Red RobeDouglasDangerCambiataexpendableBucketmanSleepZonugal
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    That said I actually strongly support the in-office ping-pong table. It helps me focus to have a game or two, seriously.

    In fact I would be willing to accept a reduced salary, I'm no fool, I can see the benefit there, it should be considered part of my comp.

    I figure ceteris paribus, two companies offering the same deal but one of them has a ping pong table, I should be willing to accept.. hell let's be generous, a reduction of five dollars annually, give or take a few depending on the size of the company.

    CelloDonovan PuppyfuckerSporkAndrewschussexpendableBucketmanIloveslimesElvenshae
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Millennials are 50 goddamn percent of the current US workforce (set to rise to 75% by 2025)

    Janson on
    tynicDonovan PuppyfuckerKayne Red RobeDisruptedCapitalistCambiataAl_watBucketmanJaysonFourIloveslimesL Ron HowardSleepZonugal
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Millennials are 50 goddamn percent of the current US workforce (set to rise to 75% by 2025)

    companies should probably figure out what they want pretty quickly, then

    godmodeDonovan PuppyfuckersarukunSkeithCalicaKayne Red RobeTheStigOghulkMunkus BeaverTofystedethCambiataCelloexpendableCormacBucketmanJedocDarkPrimusIloveslimes3clipseN1tSt4lkerL Ron HowardMoridin889chromdomSleepMulysaSemproniusZonugalJoolanderElvenshaespono
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    The company I use to work for, where my wife currently works, decided they need to get in touch with its younger employees. So they assembled a Millennial Task Squad (literally what they called it) to find out why more young people don't work for the company.

    They didn't have a single one working at their headquarters in Kentucky apparently, and asked managers at the one here to find 5-7 people for this Squad. All of them are friends of mine, and most of them are from the same department. They did not ask my wife because as her boss said "You feel older then a millennial". Which feels stupid? Anyway the 5 person team, were given a survey to fill out about what things would entice millennials and maybe even Gen Z to work at the company, I was told 'High wages' and 'Better benefits' were not included, neither was 'more vacation' but 'flexible vacation' was.

    All 5 of them write in higher wages and better benefits and the task force was never again assembled.

    I think I'm gonna get a tattoo that just says "FUCKIN' PAY ME".

    "What do [disadvantaged group] want?"

    "To be less disadvantaged."

    "...No, seriously though."

    name one thing that waluigi with a gun couldn't solve
    Donovan PuppyfuckersarukunthatassemblyguyKayne Red RobeTheStigDisruptedCapitalistMagic PinkTofystedethCambiataPolaritieexpendableBucketmanDarkPrimusIloveslimes3clipseL Ron HowardMoridin889SleepAistanZonugalElvenshaeDoctorArchsponoJacques L'Homme
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Millennials are 50 goddamn percent of the current US workforce (set to rise to 75% by 2025)

    I think it is mostly used it to mean the current 21-30 bracket. Which is very stupid.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    CalicaAldoCurly_BraceBucketmanGvzbgul
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    what DO millennials want, I wonder
    I believe they thrive near hydrothermal vents that emit sulfide-rich fluids they can extract nutrients from

    ... wait no that's annelid worms, I'm thinking of worms again.

    I don't think I'm that different from a vent worm really. I want a warm place to live, a steady supply of nutrients, protection from predators, and to live in a very remote, difficult to reach place far from most other people.

    tynicwebguy20ProlegomenaTynnanmightyjongyoCommander ZoomTaminDouglasDangerTofystedethCambiataCelloexpendableAl_watBucketmanJaysonFourIloveslimes3clipseL Ron HowardMoridin889AistanSatanic JesusJoolanderElvenshae
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The hell known to men is a meat grinder of a job. As most of the new hires are just out of highschool

  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    what DO millennials want, I wonder
    I believe they thrive near hydrothermal vents that emit sulfide-rich fluids they can extract nutrients from

    ... wait no that's annelid worms, I'm thinking of worms again.

    I don't think I'm that different from a vent worm really. I want a warm place to live, a steady supply of nutrients, protection from predators, and to live in a very remote, difficult to reach place far from most other people.

    Whale falls are a hot job

    Brovid HasselsmofButlerElvenshae
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    what DO millennials want, I wonder
    I believe they thrive near hydrothermal vents that emit sulfide-rich fluids they can extract nutrients from

    ... wait no that's annelid worms, I'm thinking of worms again.

    Jeez it's always the fucking worms with you

    Elvenshae
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Some of the hiring practices at work are starting to become a bit annoying. HR and recruiting seems to place outsized emphasis on any kind of previous printing experience in their hiring and compensation calculus, regardless of whether or not the experience these hires have is transferable to our presses.

    I came in at $15/hour, starting. A little higher than the absolute minimum pay at the plant, and commensurate with the position I was hired for with the skillset I have. I've since gone up a position and am working as a trainee press operator, which is a $17/hour role. Once I get signed off as a full-fledged operator, that goes up to $19. New hires with literally any "printing" experience on their resumes? $20-25/hour, starting. I would have to be working at the plant for at least 5-6 years to hit that level of pay. Hell, I know people who have worked at the plant that long and aren't at that pay yet.

    Almost all of these brand new hires commanding high wages are coming in from working at places like our state newspaper (who laid off all their local printing staff) and know literally nothing about the kind of printing we do or the processes we run and have to be taught everything from scratch. I cannot stress this enough; I mean everything. From the design and configuration of our presses to the materials we print on to the methods of transferring ink to material to even the inks themselves, exactly 0% of their previous experience is transferable to the kind of presses we run. There is functionally no difference between a 20-year veteran newspaper printer and an 18-year-old kid fresh out of high school when it comes to our presses. Worse, some times we have to actively train old habits out of the veterans because they are detrimental to running our presses.

    And yet the 20-year veteran newspaper printer is being paid upwards of $7/hour more than the operator who has to train them. Most of these new hires are very nice guys, but it really grates knowing that they're getting sweetheart deals while the rest of us are told to suck it up and keep printing.

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    lonelyahavaCalicagodmodeSporkAndrewDisruptedCapitalistCambiataAl_watDonovan PuppyfuckerCormacBucketmanL Ron Howardwebguy20RoyceSraphimJansonJoolanderElvenshaeDoctorArch
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Right, interview time

    Wish me luck, guys!

    Commander ZoomSorceAldoCurly_BraceDouglasDangerSporkAndrewDisruptedCapitalistani_game_bumTofystedethCambiataCelloDrZiplockRadiationexpendabletynicToxTynnanThegreatcowDonovan PuppyfuckerCormacOrcaBucketmanMechMantisJedocsarukunJaysonFourstopgapDarkPrimus3clipseN1tSt4lkerStempyL Ron Howardwebguy20Moridin889chromdomCarpySatanic JesusLiiyaRoyceSraphimCalicaSkeithJansonZonugalthatassemblyguyJoolanderElvenshaeDoctorArchJacques L'Homme
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Good luck!

    WeaverAshaman42AldoschussDouglasDangerDisruptedCapitalistani_game_bumCelloRadiationSolarexpendabletynicToxKadithDonovan PuppyfuckerCormacOrcaBucketmansarukunJaysonFour3clipsewebguy20CarpySatanic JesusLiiyaRoyceSraphimSkeithBrovid HasselsmofZonugalthatassemblyguyElvenshae
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I have a tech assessment this evening as the first step in acquiring a school district tech support position.

    The position doesn't sound terribly demanding, so I imagine the assessment will be fairly basic questions. But I always worry about tests and would prefer to calibrate my expectations.

    if it's something I can ask, what would you expect to see on such an assessment?

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I have to wonder about companies that are still trying to get millennial to work for them. I have so many questions.

    Do they realize that millennials are mid/late 20s to late 30s, almost 40 now? Have they struggled to hire and retain people in their early 30s recently? Do they actually employ anybody under the age of 40 long term? A sizable portion of millenials have not only finished college themselves long ago, but they also have kids who are in or have even finished college too! Are they so out of step that they just use "millennial" to mean any young person currently or just recently exited from college? Do they not see any of this as giant honking red flags screaming about a major institutional problem?

    Actually I know their answer to that last one.
    888.jpg

    It really is as simple as paying them well enough.

    So when your job posting requires 10 years of experience? Yeah $30,000 a year isn't enough for that position. $100,000 a year is barely enough for that position, sorry. Dollars to donuts they're going to be doing the work of 4 actual boomer employees who were all making 80k+ each and had no actual education and struggled to keep up with the job requirements in a modernizing world (read: they were scared of computers). I don't think it's too much to ask for $160k for that kind of work.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DisruptedCapitalistDonovan PuppyfuckerBucketmanL Ron Howardwebguy20Moridin889RoyceSraphimSkeith
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also maybe having a pension like those same 4 boomers did, but I'll settle for completely paid for healthcare like they had.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    BucketmansarukunJaysonFourDarkPrimusN1tSt4lkerL Ron Howardwebguy20Moridin889CalicaKayne Red RobeCommander ZoomSkeithJanson
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Some of the hiring practices at work are starting to become a bit annoying. HR and recruiting seems to place outsized emphasis on any kind of previous printing experience in their hiring and compensation calculus, regardless of whether or not the experience these hires have is transferable to our presses.

    I came in at $15/hour, starting. A little higher than the absolute minimum pay at the plant, and commensurate with the position I was hired for with the skillset I have. I've since gone up a position and am working as a trainee press operator, which is a $17/hour role. Once I get signed off as a full-fledged operator, that goes up to $19. New hires with literally any "printing" experience on their resumes? $20-25/hour, starting. I would have to be working at the plant for at least 5-6 years to hit that level of pay. Hell, I know people who have worked at the plant that long and aren't at that pay yet.

    Almost all of these brand new hires commanding high wages are coming in from working at places like our state newspaper (who laid off all their local printing staff) and know literally nothing about the kind of printing we do or the processes we run and have to be taught everything from scratch. I cannot stress this enough; I mean everything. From the design and configuration of our presses to the materials we print on to the methods of transferring ink to material to even the inks themselves, exactly 0% of their previous experience is transferable to the kind of presses we run. There is functionally no difference between a 20-year veteran newspaper printer and an 18-year-old kid fresh out of high school when it comes to our presses. Worse, some times we have to actively train old habits out of the veterans because they are detrimental to running our presses.

    And yet the 20-year veteran newspaper printer is being paid upwards of $7/hour more than the operator who has to train them. Most of these new hires are very nice guys, but it really grates knowing that they're getting sweetheart deals while the rest of us are told to suck it up and keep printing.

    Be mad at management, not your co workers

    You are being under paid and exploited

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    bowenToxCormacOrcasarukunJaysonFourL Ron HowardGnizmoRoyceSraphimSkeithmightyjongyoElvenshae
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've got my second of interviews with a company tomorrow.

    Part 1 is two of the team members that I would be managing. I am concerned there will be an awkward "why isn't one of you being promoted to this role?" atmosphere. Especially as one of them has quite a bit more experience than me.

    Part 2 is the exec team which is an absolute mystery in terms of how it will go based on past experience. Sometimes it's a friendly chat about the future, other times it's an aggressive battle to earn the right to join a religious order

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    BucketmanL Ron HowardJanson
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've got my second of interviews with a company tomorrow.

    Part 1 is two of the team members that I would be managing. I am concerned there will be an awkward "why isn't one of you being promoted to this role?" atmosphere. Especially as one of them has quite a bit more experience than me.

    Part 2 is the exec team which is an absolute mystery in terms of how it will go based on past experience. Sometimes it's a friendly chat about the future, other times it's an aggressive battle to earn the right to join a religious order
    Good luck M_J!

    I've had one that boiled down to "we need someone to tell a herd of 50+ year old nerds that they need to change the way they do things and so far no one else managed to get them to listen". I was so very glad they realized I wouldn't be that kind of guy and I didn't need to explain that to them.

  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Also maybe having a pension like those same 4 boomers did, but I'll settle for completely paid for healthcare like they had.

    Pensions definitely still exist, just not in public corps generally.

    OghulkN1tSt4lkerElvenshae
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Well folks, I am apparently some kind of undead: they weren't able to take my temperature at the entrance monitoring station this morning.

    PinfeldorfJedocsarukunJaysonFourL Ron Howardwebguy20chromdomKayne Red RobeJansonZonugalFishmanElvenshae
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    You gotta get out there in your best suit and tie and a bundle of resumes and pound the pavement.

    Just pound the ever loving heck outta that nasty, filthy, dirty pavement until it can't handle it anymore and then make it some waffles with whipped cream and strawberries.

    And a firm fucking handshake! Also go into the store and ask to see the manager! That shows initiative!

    RadiationDisruptedCapitalistDonovan PuppyfuckerOrcaBucketmanDarkPrimusL Ron Howardwebguy20LiiyaRoyceSraphimCommander ZoomElvenshae
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    here are some helpful tips for when you're on an admin call: when asked if your VP can make a time slot, just say yes or no, not no because there's this meeting with these people and the agenda includes blah blah blah blah blah put a gun in my fucking mouth

    ToxBucketmanL Ron Howardwebguy20RoyceSraphimSkeithInfidelElvenshae
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I have a tech assessment this evening as the first step in acquiring a school district tech support position.

    The position doesn't sound terribly demanding, so I imagine the assessment will be fairly basic questions. But I always worry about tests and would prefer to calibrate my expectations.

    if it's something I can ask, what would you expect to see on such an assessment?

    1) A hypothetical thing-is-broken scenario where the thing is unplugged/turned off/whatever. Always check your connections.

    2) Listing things in priority order. A teachers projector in the classroom is haunted and class is starting and the principal can't print something and a third person can't check their email. Which do you fix first? I go with haunted projector because it's directly impacting instruction.

    3) Something like your process for determining if some problem is local or a bigger problem: some teachers are having network issues, is it just hem, just your building, or wider than that?

    4) Communicating with users of differing tech literacy. How do you explain a fix or an issue to people of different levels/how do you talk to users without being a condescending jerk?

    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    KadithTaminBucketmanKayne Red RobeElvenshae
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Firefox is being dumb.

    So here's my cats.

    n5sn10ca4nbb.jpg

    a2yhjthx1kbu.jpg



    expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    TofystedethDisruptedCapitalistOrcaJedocsarukunCambiataEchoDarkPrimusIloveslimesCelloN1tSt4lkerL Ron Howardwebguy20chromdomSatanic JesusTurksonRoyceSraphimCalicaSkeithFishmanElvenshae
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    here are some helpful tips for when you're on an admin call: when asked if your VP can make a time slot, just say yes or no, not no because there's this meeting with these people and the agenda includes blah blah blah blah blah put a gun in my fucking mouth

    THANK YOU

    "Okay, so what's the error message that you're getting?"
    "well I pulled the thing up to log in" ... I d-... I ain't ask you all that

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Magic PinkexpendableBucketmanL Ron HowardRoyceSraphimKayne Red Robe
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also they'll ask you everything twice just to check if you're paying attention

    ToxL Ron HowardRoyceSraphim
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I was CC'ed by the CEO on a mail today, saying I'd be added to a call with one of the parent companies next week because I'll be taking over on operational stuff related to intellectual properties and IT.

    Which, we'd talked about... briefly... yesterday... so that's a fairly quick turnaround.

    I really need to start shedding some workload.

    steam_sig.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Think that went well?

    Gimme this job you bastards

    Donovan PuppyfuckerCambiataCelloL Ron Howardwebguy20TynnanchromdomLiiyaRoyceSraphimCommander ZoomSkeithJansonRadiationZonugalFishmanSorceElvenshaeDoctorArch
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I have a tech assessment this evening as the first step in acquiring a school district tech support position.

    The position doesn't sound terribly demanding, so I imagine the assessment will be fairly basic questions. But I always worry about tests and would prefer to calibrate my expectations.

    if it's something I can ask, what would you expect to see on such an assessment?

    1) A hypothetical thing-is-broken scenario where the thing is unplugged/turned off/whatever. Always check your connections.

    2) Listing things in priority order. A teachers projector in the classroom is haunted and class is starting and the principal can't print something and a third person can't check their email. Which do you fix first? I go with haunted projector because it's directly impacting instruction.

    3) Something like your process for determining if some problem is local or a bigger problem: some teachers are having network issues, is it just hem, just your building, or wider than that?

    4) Communicating with users of differing tech literacy. How do you explain a fix or an issue to people of different levels/how do you talk to users without being a condescending jerk?

    1) Step 0a - The problem stopped happening as soon as they called tech support because computers are like that.
    Step 0b - Reboot.

    steam_sig.png
    TaminRoyceSraphimKayne Red RobeElvenshae
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, my dad called me. This may not seem unusual to normal people, but my dad has never called me in my life, and I'm not even sure he's ever called any of his kids - basically it's my mom's job to keep up any correspondence, though he will get on the line too once the call has been established. However, he did bust his hip falling out of bed recently, and he's in rehab now, so maybe he's bored?

    Anyway I bring it up in the job thread because he asked about my job hunt, and suggested, about a job that I'm waiting to hear an answer for, that I resend them my resume to "remind" them. Boomers are so weird.

    Yeah my dad was telling us the same a few years back. I told him that even when I worked at the movie theater doing these things was 100% sure to get your resume tossed out.

    They always showed to speak to a manager on like a busy Friday night, as if to say "See if you hired me you'd have more help" but what came across was "I want to be the maximum amount of bother I can be"

    CambiataMoridin889Kayne Red RobeElvenshae
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, my dad called me. This may not seem unusual to normal people, but my dad has never called me in my life, and I'm not even sure he's ever called any of his kids - basically it's my mom's job to keep up any correspondence, though he will get on the line too once the call has been established. However, he did bust his hip falling out of bed recently, and he's in rehab now, so maybe he's bored?

    Anyway I bring it up in the job thread because he asked about my job hunt, and suggested, about a job that I'm waiting to hear an answer for, that I resend them my resume to "remind" them. Boomers are so weird.

    Yeah my dad was telling us the same a few years back. I told him that even when I worked at the movie theater doing these things was 100% sure to get your resume tossed out.

    They always showed to speak to a manager on like a busy Friday night, as if to say "See if you hired me you'd have more help" but what came across was "I want to be the maximum amount of bother I can be"

    I remember my dad driving me around to all the places when I was 17 to get a job and when I walked out after 2 minutes after going in he was like "how come you don't have an application" and I had to reiterate it was because no one was doing paper applications anymore, it was all moving online.

    Even in 2001 it blew his fucking mind. He still thinks I was lying about it.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DouglasDangerBucketmanToxCambiataEchoL Ron HowardKayne Red Robe
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    He still thinks I was lying about it.

    i bet you were too!

    DixonElvenshae
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I have to wonder about companies that are still trying to get millennial to work for them. I have so many questions.

    Do they realize that millennials are mid/late 20s to late 30s, almost 40 now? Have they struggled to hire and retain people in their early 30s recently? Do they actually employ anybody under the age of 40 long term? A sizable portion of millenials have not only finished college themselves long ago, but they also have kids who are in or have even finished college too! Are they so out of step that they just use "millennial" to mean any young person currently or just recently exited from college? Do they not see any of this as giant honking red flags screaming about a major institutional problem?

    Actually I know their answer to that last one.
    888.jpg

    This specific company has an average employee age of 57 at our branch when I worked there. Because they pay shit (and hire in new people for more then current employees make) anyone under 40 just finds a new job when they can. Except for the guy who got the job in the programming department. They taught him Cobol and he makes like 75k a year just out of college with a computer science degree. The people physically working on machines and replacing parts and doing on the fly programming? Half that, of course.

  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    One day the kids are all gonna be "I've gotta wait for them to open a job-specific neural uplink hyperchannel before I can apply, jeez" and I'm gonna have to nod and accept it like I know what the fuck they're talking about

    "In my day we applied to jobs through links on targeted industry email lists" already sounds obsolete and old fashioned, and I did that last year

    tynic on
    BucketmanexpendableOrcaJedocToxCambiata3clipseDoodmannL Ron Howardwebguy20CarpyRoyceSraphimCommander ZoomSkeithZonugalJoolanderElvenshae
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, my dad called me. This may not seem unusual to normal people, but my dad has never called me in my life, and I'm not even sure he's ever called any of his kids - basically it's my mom's job to keep up any correspondence, though he will get on the line too once the call has been established. However, he did bust his hip falling out of bed recently, and he's in rehab now, so maybe he's bored?

    Anyway I bring it up in the job thread because he asked about my job hunt, and suggested, about a job that I'm waiting to hear an answer for, that I resend them my resume to "remind" them. Boomers are so weird.

    Yeah my dad was telling us the same a few years back. I told him that even when I worked at the movie theater doing these things was 100% sure to get your resume tossed out.

    They always showed to speak to a manager on like a busy Friday night, as if to say "See if you hired me you'd have more help" but what came across was "I want to be the maximum amount of bother I can be"

    I remember my dad driving me around to all the places when I was 17 to get a job and when I walked out after 2 minutes after going in he was like "how come you don't have an application" and I had to reiterate it was because no one was doing paper applications anymore, it was all moving online.

    Even in 2001 it blew his fucking mind. He still thinks I was lying about it.

    My dad thought I was lying too! It was weird! He also gave us a "I know the job market is tough, I remember when I got my job...." speech. This was...3 years ago? Anyway my dad recently retired after 33 years at the same company and he got that job because my maternal grandfather helped him get it.

    Mojo_Jojowebguy20L Ron HowardCarpyCommander ZoomJansonElvenshae
This discussion has been closed.