As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    "this was a pretty recent invention ... some time in the 80s, I think ..." THAT'S NOT RECENT OLD MAN

I refuse to believe 1980 was more than 20 years ago. :cry:

Huh...
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I like how Chico has become synonymous with excessive punniness.

I don't, at least not when I work hard on coming up with my puns and the response is the in-joke of someone else's name.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    puns? This time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the forums, localized entirely in this thread?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    puns? This time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the forums, localized entirely in this thread?

In this economy?!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I nearly went to the bathroom in the middle of this presentation and thank goodness I didn't because the guy took like three minutes in the middle to talk about how much he liked my work and how he was much more excited about the stuff I was doing than the stuff he was presenting.
    As usual when receiving any positive attention, I am equal parts pleased and alarmed.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    "Ta!" *flush*

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Presenter: What was that noise?
    Tynic: My new robot toilet. Obviously.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Now I expect tynic to be creating some bizarre Simone Giertz-style robo toilet but instead of being useful it's a hat you wear for birds to poop in so it doesn't get bird poop on your head.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Now I expect tynic to be creating some bizarre Simone Giertz-style robo toilet but instead of being useful it's a hat you wear for birds to poop in so it doesn't get bird poop on your head.

Stuck on the idea this is somehow NOT useful

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I've spent two days so far running ethernet cables and figuring out how to plug in the first of the labs that has been given a new socially distant layout where everybody is facing the same direction, at least 6 feet apart, etc.

This is just the first of the labs I need to do and while I still need to figure out how to get power to one particular computer and make three more ethernet cables then finish taping it all down, the answer to the question of "Which fire codes and best practices/policies concerning the running of ethernet cables and power strips did you violate is already "Yes."

At least I haven't used an extension cable yet. And only one of the 11 power strips (so far) is plugged into another power strip.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Had to go buy a new pair of work boots, not to expensive, steel toe and slip resistant. The last pair I bought three months ago and they look like they've been through a wood chipper thanks to the previous hellhole.

Crossing my fingers for the (hopefully) final interview with the GM tomorrow.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You can do it, DW!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Had to go buy a new pair of work boots, not to expensive, steel toe and slip resistant. The last pair I bought three months ago and they look like they've been through a wood chipper thanks to the previous hellhole.

At my first real job post college, a coworker mentioned that he'd go through shoes constantly at his previous job. He inspected gas pumps or something so his shoes would basically get eaten by the chemicals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Anyone who wouldn't hire you is an idiot, Darth

Unfortunately so are most of the people who do, apparently. But statistically you must be due a good one

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I stole some numbers I'm not supposed to look at or really remember in my brain from work.

We have just shy of 600 labor hours per week. When you clock in the local minimum wage on that, it's about $5,250 in labor cost. Meanwhile, our supply shipments come out to $5000 (roughly) every shipment. Two shipments per week, so $10k in supplies. Meanwhile, in just one section of my store (the primary one) we do about $42k in sales a week. So translating it out to a month,

21,000 labor cost
    40,000 supply cost
    168,000 income not accounting for the other section of the store

I wasn't able to get info on rent or utility cost month to month but there's no way it's eating up a significant portion of the remaining 107,000 we'd have in profit. You can literally double our wages, making it $18/hr, and still be bringing in 80k in profit per month for just our location alone.

But y'know, capitalism.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

I was gonna post earlier today to check on how things are going! Hopefully that means you've walked out of the last place?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I stole some numbers I'm not supposed to look at or really remember in my brain from work.

We have just shy of 600 labor hours per week. When you clock in the local minimum wage on that, it's about $5,250 in labor cost. Meanwhile, our supply shipments come out to $5000 (roughly) every shipment. Two shipments per week, so $10k in supplies. Meanwhile, in just one section of my store (the primary one) we do about $42k in sales a week. So translating it out to a month,

21,000 labor cost
    40,000 supply cost

I wasn't able to get info on rent or utility cost month to month but there's no way it's eating up a significant portion of the remaining 107,000 we'd have in profit. You can literally double our wages, making it $18/hr, and still be bringing in 80k in profit per month for just our location alone.

But y'know, capitalism.

Man, you said that and it's like you didn't even THINK of the SHAREHOLDERS!

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Someone in this meeting just said "I'm not sure if that will pass mustard ..." and it was adorable. I love it.

For all intensive purposes it would of meant the same difference irregardless

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

21,000 labor cost
    40,000 supply cost

But y'know, capitalism.

Can I ask what industry? I can probably help you fill in those question marks

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Someone in this meeting just said "I'm not sure if that will pass mustard ..." and it was adorable. I love it.

I'LL KILL YOU!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

21,000 labor cost
    40,000 supply cost

But y'know, capitalism.

Commercial rents and electricity prices are extortionate.

But you're probably right w/r/t headroom to pay higher wages, if the store is operating well the business should be runing somewhere around a 30% profit margin, so they should be able to kick everyone's wages up and still make money.

But will they make ENOUGH money? C'mon, you know the owner needs a second jetski just in case the first one gets dirty!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I was gonna post earlier today to check on how things are going! Hopefully that means you've walked out of the last place?

Ho. Ho-ho-ho. Hee-hee-haa-haaa.

Yeah, that was last Sunday when my former KM decided to flip out after being a total idiot for 4.5 months, didn't train me properly, stared at titties when he wasn't taking shots and chain-smoking while watching SPORTSBALL.

Enjoy closing 5 of the busiest nights a week, motherfucker. Enjoy being a COVID-19 hotspot. Enjoy your treacherous staff and management. Enjoy being 4 people at once because no one wants to work for you.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

wqn0gw7rhae2.jpg

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    did I tell the story about the time I told my 23 year old employee about the bands I liked. He is in a rock band, so in a blatant attempt to connect with the youth, I was name dropping Silverchair, Grinspoon, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Rage Against the Machine...

He turns around to me and says, 'oh hell yeah! I love dad rock!'

:x

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    did I tell the story about the time I told my 23 year old employee about the bands I liked. He is in a rock band, so in a blatant attempt to connect with the youth, I was name dropping Silverchair, Grinspoon, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Rage Against the Machine...

Time to play the entire discography of Genesis and Pete Collins on repeat for a week?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Time to play the entire discography of Genesis and Pete Collins on repeat for a week?

Be sure that "Anything She Does" is in heavy rotation.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Blink-182?

I love dad rock.

My dad also believes in aliens.

• Options

for a week? also, this post assumes I ever stopped!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The idea of Rage Against The Machine as dad rock is really funny to me. It's not wrong, but them some angry dads!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sleep now in the fire! Or wherever! Just for the love of god sleep! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Sleep now in the fire! Or wherever! Just for the love of god sleep! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What am I throwing in a fire

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    The idea of Rage Against The Machine as dad rock is really funny to me. It's not wrong, but them some angry dads!

Son, some of those that work forces...

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Rage Against the Machine (and by Machine I Mean Lawnmower Because These Damn O-Rings Keep Breaking!)

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Son, some of those that work forces...

I feel like they should release a remix and that verse gets properly updated to “all of those...”

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I was a support on of the other supports [the one my not manager was helping till it no longer worked} Would like a to of Smashing pumpkins from the melancholy and the infinite sadness on of their discography the black album of Metallica on and so on
    As he really did get into an argument with me that I played music from all over the eras but nothing from that era of rock in his words
    as he really did say when I was playing the Marty robbin's gunfighter album that it sucked [In an effort to make the people on the line work faster I gave them a choice either listen to it or I take away the radio as if they complained I restarted the CD}
    He said that album was for old people and it sucked
    In another case I played Siva from Smashing Pumpkins he did not know it was by them and said it sucked

In short it does make me sad that people are not curious or adventurous when it comes to music

• Options
    The amount of capitalist pig dogs who love RATM with no sense of irony is hilariously large

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The amount of capitalist pig dogs who love RATM with no sense of irony is hilariously large

“Man, these guy sure are angry! I love that, because I’m angry too!”

• Options
    Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me MUM

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    You know how they ran out of cool names for cars in the '80s and have just been desperately mashing syllables together ever since? I was looking through the Billboard Top 100 yesterday and I wonder if the same thing isn't happening to new bands and artists. Just one more example of previous generations screwing the youth of today out of their share of a limited resource, I guess.

• Options
    This forum alone generates like six great new band names a week. The youth just aren't trying hard enough!

also the bands I listened to in the 90s were basically all named after body parts.

This discussion has been closed.