As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Kindergarten applications are coming up soon for my youngest.

My eldest went to K in Colorado, and the choices were neighborhood school or charter school. I went with neighborhood school.

My second kid is much younger and going to school in NYC. And the school application process in NYC is *intense*. I did it all- G&T testing, testing for the Special Music School, testing for Hunter, looked into the magnet schools, looked into charters, figured out how the lottery worked. Ended up going to the school she did Pre-K at, which worked out well for us. Not G&T (did well enough for the district school but not city-wide school on that test), but a magnet outward bound dual-language Spanish school. We liked their teaching philosophy better than our zoned school.

Youngest kid just gets to go to his sister's school. Not going to bother with testing (not even sure how they even plan on doing that with ~~everything~~, and they haven't released plans yet). In the back of my mind, I have another school that I may want to try with him if his learning issues get worse (it has a special program that one of my daughter's friends goes to that is for kids with ASD. He's not formally diagnosed, but he does have an IEP and is getting help.) But we're really hoping they can just stay together for the next few years. He's already going to Pre-K there.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    That is such a moon joke

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Awww yeah where my midnight feeding baby won't sleep rockers out there.

Missed this part of fatherhood something fierce!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire is a must for babies that only sleep when you hold them at 2am. You can play it with mouse only and no sound!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Slay the Spire is a must for babies that only sleep when you hold them at 2am. You can play it with mouse only and no sound!

Big agree here. I put in a ton of hours in StS during baby sleep time, which in turn kept me sane.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Heyo.

I've got the 'I'm hungry but also mad so I'm going to screamcry into this bottle while I'm drinking it and then cough a bunch" thing going on.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Heyo.

I've got the 'I'm hungry but also mad so I'm going to screamcry into this bottle while I'm drinking it and then cough a bunch" thing going on.

Woo! This is the best shit right here. Dumb little idiot babies can't even drink right.

I played some Slay the Spire on Steam, how was the iPad version? Hauling baby down to the PC might not be an option.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Big agree here. I put in a ton of hours in StS during baby sleep time, which in turn kept me sane.

I have a friend who found StS on Switch was her sanity saver for breastfeeding. Slightly different activity, but the same basic concept in that you're stuck in one place and restricted into doing not much, so if you can get some entertainment out of just popping something down on the bed or sofa next to you without disrupting what's going on, you're golden.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    This is now my annual post that it's bullshit that Final Fantasy Tactics never got controller support on iPad.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    One of the best things I ever managed to do was breastfeed lying down so I had both hands free to play my DS/Switch

I put hundreds of hours into Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest and Stardew Valley thanks to breastfeeding

And congratulations @MegaMan001 ! That is one gorgeous little squish you have there! :D

Janson on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My son is 18 months old is being really fussy with food.

He's refused to eat at nursery for two days now and isn't eating normally at home.

Don't think it's teething because previously teething hasn't changed his eating habits.

Is this just a phase?

I did eventually find one of the vanilla bottles he'd stolen. Best posted it through one the circular holes in his activity cube where he usually pushes shapes through.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Is this just a phase?
    Short answer: yes.

Long answer: his taste is developing rapidly, so things that tasted fine before might now taste like crap to him and vice versa. This will keep happening again and again. The standard advice is to introduce and reintroduce food to him as he keeps growing. That way he can discover that certain things he didn't like before are great now.

Example: my kid usually eats whatever his grandma is cooking, regardless of what it is. He always had the same yogurt as dessert, but last time he was there he took a big spoonful and when he tasted it he just spat it out and started crying. His palette had changed and now he can't stand yogurt. Maybe in a few months time he will love it again and something else will take a fall from grace for a while.

It's wild.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, their tastes can change dramatically. Once our kiddo was old enough to understand me explaining that, she got to pay attention and notice the change herself.

Which actually made it muuuuuuuch easier to get her to keep trying things after that.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One of the nephews graduated primary school today, and we're taking him and his younger brother to Adventure World on Sunday for his birthday.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Is this just a phase?
    Short answer: yes.

Long answer: his taste is developing rapidly, so things that tasted fine before might now taste like crap to him and vice versa. This will keep happening again and again. The standard advice is to introduce and reintroduce food to him as he keeps growing. That way he can discover that certain things he didn't like before are great now.

Example: my kid usually eats whatever his grandma is cooking, regardless of what it is. He always had the same yogurt as dessert, but last time he was there he took a big spoonful and when he tasted it he just spat it out and started crying. His palette had changed and now he can't stand yogurt. Maybe in a few months time he will love it again and something else will take a fall from grace for a while.

It's wild.

Food is weird. Daughter currently likes cinnamon as a side for all kinds of food. Used to like sucking on lemons. Ranch is still a constant.

Spices are always good to try since you can just have a little on the side and they're calorie-free.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The three year old decided she wanted to watch Charlotte's Web and holy shit I've never seen this before, this is dark as hell!

• Options
    The three year old decided she wanted to watch Charlotte's Web and holy shit I've never seen this before, this is dark as hell!

Do not watch the movie with the cute rabbits called Watership Down

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Or Bambi, or Old Yeller...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

Or Secret of NIMH with the cute rats.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there are harsh lessons a child must learn to survive in our garbage society, and those cartoons are part of it

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Hi thread. Me here again. I...
    have joined the vasectomy club.

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »

I'm making my appointment as soon as humanly possible. I cannot wait.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

I had a virtual consult with my primary care dr last week, who referred me to the urologist. Had a virtual consult with him 2 days ago. He said he’d put the other in and scheduling would be in touch with me. Took matters into my own hands and called scheduling a few hours later. They were like “how does this Saturday sound?”

Very surprised at how quickly everything was able to be scheduled, and then how smoothly it was all performed.

Also, what may be the best part; the Dr’s name was... Dr. Butcher.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I had a virtual consult with my primary care dr last week, who referred me to the urologist. Had a virtual consult with him 2 days ago. He said he’d put the other in and scheduling would be in touch with me. Took matters into my own hands and called scheduling a few hours later. They were like “how does this Saturday sound?”

Very surprised at how quickly everything was able to be scheduled, and then how smoothly it was all performed.

Also, what may be the best part; the Dr’s name was... Dr. Butcher.

Can't say I didn't get a bit concerned at this part.

• Options

Oh, you made the cut?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    there are harsh lessons a child must learn to survive in our garbage society, and those cartoons are part of it

Sure.

But I already learned those lessons and so do not need to be tortured by then again.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m so happy that my child is starting to converse and understand things and I have been so happy to have a third “team member” in the family

I rue that this new cognitive ability is paired with a pathological need to do the opposite of whatever mom and I ask/tell her, accompanied by shrieks of defiance (“no, daddy!” Or “give it back!!!!” are quite popular this week)

• Options
    edited December 2020
    fi3lxevc6nsn.jpeg

Who am I to argue with the Mayor of Whoville though

Edit: I hate this dumb iOS photo bug

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

Yeah look all those movies are sad and stuff but none of them really compare to actual nightmare fuel that is Watership Down.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    How do you do hrududu

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

Yeah look all those movies are sad and stuff but none of them really compare to actual nightmare fuel that is Watership Down.

Velveteen Rabbit was one for me.
    And Land Before Time.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My parents thought I was old enough to see The Dark Crystal

I'm not sure I was ever old enough to see the podling get its soul sucked out.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

And Land Before Time.

Having read Velveteen Rabbit was very terrifying when I caught Scarlet Fever. I guess it was also pretty scary to my parents, although it's not nearly as big of deal these days.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The baby has reached the stage where she'll just stare, fascinated at her first for like 20 minutes at a time and it is incredibly cute

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Or Dumbo. Or Pinnochio.

And Land Before Time.

Having read Velveteen Rabbit was very terrifying when I caught Scarlet Fever. I guess it was also pretty scary to my parents, although it's not nearly as big of deal these days.

How does Animal Farm sit on the list of Trauma Inducing Animated Animal flicks?

• Options
    Land Before Time was so sad, but we had it on VHS that had this bitching totally radical commercial for Burger King in front of it.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Our tiny idiot choked on his formula, then coughed the whitish liquid up in a scene reminiscent of Ash’s demise in Alien. Followed by an intense screaming/crying fit.

I have not had a scarier ten seconds in my life.

He has since had a nap, a change, and is chatting away to his mum as we speak. Still, neither one of us has quite got over it yet.

CroakerBC on