As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah it all goes in the trash almost immediately, save for a few key items

Feels bad every time we toss it, but at the same time, there's just so much

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Seriously though, what the fuck is this?

lzwkeiwu1f1x.jpg

I think it's haunted

It has big:

dgawkbi4glxd.jpeg
    Energy to me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I recognise Nigel Thornberry when I see him.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We've saved almost all of her daycare art.

and I just bought a Crayola Paper maker thing for her birthday.

My plan is, turn the artwork back into pulp at some point and then she can make her own coloured paper to draw on again.

and again

and again.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    You're going to want to start throwing some of that stuff out ASAP, save some of course, but it's insane how quickly that art piles up.

We saved some art that was made out of Cheerios or something under her bed last summer and discovered there was an ant situation happening down there. Took some time to clean it out.

So definitely watch for anything made out of food or poop like that horse abomination*

*If your kids made it, it's a beautiful interpretation of our equestrian friends.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Where is this child getting all this leg from.

Every time we turn around we're needing to get more shorts and longer skirts and longer dresses because she just keeps getting more legs.

It's just mental. Lol

She's also SUPER EXCITED that tomorrow is 1 February, because that's her birthday month (cue mommy internal screaming)

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My older daughter took a header into a fence sledding yesterday and got a very minor concussion. I feel bad for her because she's supposed to take a day off screens and reading and she'll hate that but hopefully some good audiobooks will tide her over.

She did get a CT scan and she thought the machine was cool, that's something.

• Options
    I'm having a small but growing anxiety over for my kid's starts school in 3 weeks.

• Options
    I'm having a small but growing anxiety over for my kid's starts school in 3 weeks.

Hahaha oh fuck me

One of the uniform shirts we bought her is actually a size six, not four.

And the two skorts we bought are actually black and not navy.

I am very much not ok.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Going to be a dumb question but what happens if she shows up in... gasp, a black and not navy skirt?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Probably nothing but my anxiety isn't accepting logic right now.

Also hahaha they're actually navy.

They're just a different shade of navy than the shorts are. Because I dunno fuck me I guess.

I'm not coping well with all these doubts about school and none of them are logical or even grounded in reality. More just me being afraid of new situations and people and things.

Sorry for the crazy.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Sometimes I’m jealous of people whose babies weren’t giants like ours. Our four month old was smaller than our first kid and he’s already almost 18 pounds. 🧱

Edit: also, registered the big kid for Kindergarten today and I swear I had to provide less documentation for my mortgage.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Sometimes I’m jealous of people whose babies weren’t giants like ours. Our four month old was smaller than our first kid and he’s already almost 18 pounds. 🧱

Edit: also, registered the big kid for Kindergarten today and I swear I had to provide less documentation for my mortgage.

Hello, I would like to subscribe our twenty pound four month old to your newsletter.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Hahaha oh fuck me

One of the uniform shirts we bought her is actually a size six, not four.

And the two skorts we bought are actually black and not navy.

I am very much not ok.

I had a panicked day trying to find Burpette skirts that would fit the day before school started as all the ones we ordered were vastly too big or small (and all the normal four year old sizes obviously sell out as every parent with a kid that age needs to go and buy new uniform at the same time)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, uniforms are probably they only thing I'm not a fan of with my kids' school. I am very lucky that they are very flexible. Plain grey shirt (sky-high they've been less strict about the "plain" part this year), and blue pants/ skirts/ etc. Jeans are even ok.
    My daughter is not a plain grey and blue girl, though. Her favorite workaround is blue skirt with very colorful tights.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    You guys crack me up. Our first kid is three now and weighs 25 lbs. She's very tall and lanky, just slim.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I love my daughter, but good lord is she a pain in the ass in the morning. She’s like her mother that can’t wake up, only unlike her mother, she doesn’t hold back her anger and tears. She’s 100% gonna be the teenager I have to drag out of the house for school.

It’s exhausting.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think I've opened the door to my kid's rooms maybe twice in the last year and found them still asleep. Usually their rooms are already half-trashed, and the toddler is naked, and we've heard them make two or three galloping trips to the restroom

• Options
    You guys crack me up. Our first kid is three now and weighs 25 lbs. She's very tall and lanky, just slim.

You must be elves. :D

• Options
    My daughter was very chubby as a baby. She got rather lean recently and is a bit short. Turns out she was malnourished due to Celiac's, woops!
    She seems to be getting a bit bigger now that she's eating properly. It's hard to tell, because my husband was small as a kid, so we thought she was just starting to take after him.
    Her younger brother is about her and size right now. Just sightly shorter, but a lot huskier. He takes more after me.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I love my daughter, but good lord is she a pain in the ass in the morning. She’s like her mother that can’t wake up, only unlike her mother, she doesn’t hold back her anger and tears. She’s 100% gonna be the teenager I have to drag out of the house for school.

It’s exhausting.

I hear you.

My son woke up half an hour early today and despite our best efforts he wouldn't go back to sleep. As a result he's been in a foul mood all day, plus it's rained all day so I've not been able to take him out.

I'm knackered.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Corvus wrote: »

You must be elves. :D

I wish! I'm a big guy, my wife is short though, no idea how the kid came to be.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    Ellie is just over a meter tall and still about 15kg.

She's has just so much legs.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Conversely, my son goes to bed without fuss, falls asleep in 5 minutes, and wakes up happy and accommodating. Yeah, he wakes me up early around 6:00-6:30, but he’s not a dick about it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    My daughter wakes up at 7:30 every morning and is ready to get up and go

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Because of our jobs we wake up at 0500 every day and the kids are wired to that same schedule even on weekends.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Quick survey for the thread:

a) At what age did you learn that addition/multiplication are commutative and subtraction/division are not?

b) At what age did you learn that 'commutative' was the word for it?

I only ask because the people teaching my 5 year old think he needs to know this word whereas it is my opinion that this is unnecessary and potentially confusing.

• Options
    A: 5-7 years old maybe?
    B: 35 years old

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2021

That roughly mirrors my wife's experience, give or take the odd year.

Which is to say she learned the word yesterday, when the 5 year old was expected to know it to answer his maths quiz questions.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

That roughly mirrors my wife's experience, give or take the odd year.

Which is to say she learned the word yesterday, when the 5 year old was expected to know it to answer his maths quiz questions.

I'm going to ask what commutative means, and reveal that I am not 5-7 years old.
    I may or may not know how maths works though.

• Options
    That's nonsense. Knowing the word isn't the point. Knowing the concept is what's valuable. The word is just fluff.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm 44 and I only just learned that. Sad.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

a) At what age did you learn that addition/multiplication are commutative and subtraction/division are not?

I only ask because the people teaching my 5 year old think he needs to know this word whereas it is my opinion that this is unnecessary and potentially confusing.

I'm 41 and I just had to look up the word "commutative" to write this post so there's your B answer. For the answer to A . . . I honestly don't remember, probably in that 5-7 range that beginning maths were taught.

So like, the properties that those functions have, I learned when we learned them in school in the first few years of school; the actual property name I learned at 41 years old at 7:44 am on February 2nd, 2021 as I watch my kid play with a noisy toy school bus and wish I was still sleeping.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I want to say learned both of those things in high school algebra? I feel like they were part of that whole polynomial / FOIL shit.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This morning as my daughter went for her morning pee, she suddenly goes "sometimes I pee standing up!" And proceeds to demonstrate on her tiny toddler potty.

Child we just woke up I was not ready for that lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I immediately forget the word commutative every time I learn what it means, my brain just spits it back out. Asking a five year old to try to learn it is cruel and unusual punishment for all involved.

• Options
    My newly 5 year old has trouble counting past 12 (he usually puts 18 after 12, and just says *mumble*teen until 20 if you're counting with him). His school is fine with him knowing up until 10.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    My 5 year old (who is almost 6, to be fair) sometimes says 13/14/15 etc after twelve, but sometimes says 30/40/50 etc; it's like a lucky dip.

Prolegomena on
  • Options

I'm 43 and just had to google that word.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My newly 5 year old has trouble counting past 12 (he usually puts 18 after 12, and just says *mumble*teen until 20 if you're counting with him). His school is fine with him knowing up until 10.

My school expects kids to be able to count up to 20 on their own when they're going to {Dutch variant of} 1st grade, so when they're almost 6. Seems like a kid who is just 5 still has plenty of time to learn numbers. Wouldn't worry about it. Little King can count to 20, but sometimes flips 17 and 19 (they are phonetically very similar in Dutch).