As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What in the name of all that is good? Peppa Pig fucking blows.

Ripley watches like thirty minutes a weekday after school which helps her unwind but more on the weekend, depending on the activity schedule.

Mira, Royal Detective is pretty good. Strong smart female characters, everyone is Indian, and the mongoose sidekicks are funny.

Listen. My kid just found Ryan. I'll take Peppa Pig any damn day.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What in the name of all that is good? Peppa Pig fucking blows.

Ripley watches like thirty minutes a weekday after school which helps her unwind but more on the weekend, depending on the activity schedule.

Mira, Royal Detective is pretty good. Strong smart female characters, everyone is Indian, and the mongoose sidekicks are funny.

Listen. My kid just found Ryan. I'll take Peppa Pig any damn day.

What's Ryan?

Today I forgot Ripley was supposed to go to a classmates birthday party and I said, "Shit, I forgot about the birthday party." And she repeated, in this very solemn voice, "Oh, shit."

It was very funny and we just moved on from there because I figured if we showed a lot of focus on the word she would say it more.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Ryan's Toy Review or whatever. Shit family exploiting their kid and making a shitload of money doing it.

I mostly disliked Peppa Pig because Peppa had some pretty crappy behavior, particularly toward friends. Anything is better than Caillou though (or Ryan, while we're at it).

Yeah, we typically don't want her watching Ryan, but if she gets up before us we can't really stop her because stupid fucking apps don't allow you to block specific shows, and a lot of what she wants to watch is on Hulu (big fan of Miles from Tomorrowland). She was watching Ryan and found out about Minecraft the other day, so I'm probably doomed.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie's moved on to Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir.

Which is adorable because she's currently at the point where she's trying to mimic the transformation sequences from teenager to superhero.

She's also enjoys My Little Pony, Octonauts, Dr Binocs, and Tales from Tinga Tinga.

She also will watch Suzy and Sam, which is this odd channel with Human Suzy and Sam the Slime. Half the videos are dumb unboxing blind bags and LOL doll shit. The other half are really clever crafts and even some cooking stuff. Like, making a working vending machine from cardboard, or a multi-level cardboard hamster maze. Or different kids friendly recipes for Nutella.
    So it's really a bit hit and miss, but even the unboxing videos aren't super painful.

She's also found a channel called I think Ellie V Toys who is this person that opens up and plays with Lego sets, but also makes their own Lego builds. The video we watched the other day was them using all the tan and beige bricks and objects to make a shop.

But mostly, life is all about Ladybug.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    All hail the Octonauts. Why I first saw them was like, why do these characters remind me of the Vancouver Olympic mascots?

Turns out the people who created the Octonauts were the designers of the mascots for the 2010 Olympics.

:so_raven:
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of behaviour you technically don't want to reinforce, the wife did something kickass cool in Super Mario 3D World, and I said, "Badass, mama!" and from her lap the normally non-verbal Toby said, "Badath, muma!"

So good to know we're finally at the mimicry stage, I guess? :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Ladybug is cool, we saw a boy with a Ladybug costume and all the other boys thought he was cool.

It is hyper unrealistic of Paris, though, which is a bit annoying because I love the city. This bunch of privileged kids living in the most expensive part of town and spending their time running from empty tourist attraction to attraction is like a show about New York where none of the characters leave Fifth Avenue.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Here, the main TV shows have been Thomas the Train (whatever series is on Netflix), with a little Octonauts or Tayo thrown in.

He was BIG into Titopo and Super Wings and then just... dropped off of both of them one day. No interest in watching them anymore, but he sometimes asks for their theme song. (We have a system of “you get X minutes of TV, and when those episodes are over you can watch the intro song for a different show before the TV goes off)

Thankfully his knowledge of YouTube is that it is for watching music videos of Disney songs or Sound of Music clips. Though we’ve also started sowing him kid friendly information videos when he shows interest in something. A few weeks back we watched one that talked about how your bladder fills up, so now when it’s not time to pee yet he say “No, my BLADder is still filling up!”

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Taking my son to his first job interview today. He's applied to be a server at the local theater (which serves food during movies). Because no one can fill jobs, it comes with a $400 signing bonus which he already has planned a dozen ways to spend.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I really love it that people aren't going back to these shitty, low-pay, no benefit jobs. The pandemic really showed the dirty underbelly of the labor force and people aren't having it anymore. I'm sure it won't last, the house always wins afterall, but hopefully this will cause some companies to increase wages and benefits to employees.

Naturally, the worst part is people I know on social media posting memes about how "People don't want to work" anymore, often calling them lazy. How can they not see that the system is broken? Frustrating...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Speaking of behaviour you technically don't want to reinforce, the wife did something kickass cool in Super Mario 3D World, and I said, "Badass, mama!" and from her lap the normally non-verbal Toby said, "Badath, muma!"

So good to know we're finally at the mimicry stage, I guess? :lol:

Enjoy the escalation from here. We had to have a conversation with our kiddo last night about fuck, and the proper times to use it. Meaning, mostly, only use it at home with us, and only when something really bad happens. My general rule for her is "if you're helping me with the house and bang your thumb with a hammer, you can say whatever you want."

She was cool with that.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Taking my son to his first job interview today. He's applied to be a server at the local theater (which serves food during movies). Because no one can fill jobs, it comes with a $400 signing bonus which he already has planned a dozen ways to spend.

Tell him to put it in doge coin. Either he gets rich or learns a valuable lesson.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »

Tell him to put it in doge coin. Either he gets rich or learns a valuable lesson.

We've told him "no more retro consoles until you have a paycheck" - the back and forth for him is whether he wants to buy an NES, SNES, or N64 first.

We've told him "no more retro consoles until you have a paycheck" - the back and forth for him is whether he wants to buy an NES, SNES, or N64 first.

Relatable.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Well

After several months of waiting and IVF treatments, we have implantation!

Only time will tell if it takes, but send your good vibes our way if you can :)

Ooh this is so exciting! Crossing all my fingers for you!

Well, baby was just about literally howling at the full moon at 3:30 in the morning last night. Good times.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

It's all fun and games until she starts to really unleash the tsuppari attack

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Well, the kid got a job but not the server job so no bonus (because you have to be 17 to serve booze). But starting Sunday he'll be slinging concessions and dreaming of old consoles.

MNC Dover wrote: »
    I really love it that people aren't going back to these shitty, low-pay, no benefit jobs. The pandemic really showed the dirty underbelly of the labor force and people aren't having it anymore. I'm sure it won't last, the house always wins afterall, but hopefully this will cause some companies to increase wages and benefits to employees.

Naturally, the worst part is people I know on social media posting memes about how "People don't want to work" anymore, often calling them lazy. How can they not see that the system is broken? Frustrating...

You can't imagine the gleeful satisfaction I have when I listen to my conservative family bitch about the same stuff and I get to respond with "That's how capitalism works! The free market! THE INVISIBLE HAND IS MOVING!"

MNC Dover wrote: »

You can't imagine the gleeful satisfaction I have when I listen to my conservative family bitch about the same stuff and I get to respond with "That's how capitalism works! The free market! THE INVISIBLE HAND IS MOVING!"

For me, it's a lot of the people I went to high school with. There's never been a logical or reasonable response to any of my posts or questions regarding low-paying jobs.

"Those jobs are for teenagers."
    "They're not supposed to be careers."
    "Get a second job."
    "Find a better paying job."

Yet all the companies that actually offer good pay and/or benefits have no problems hiring people. It's not rocket science here people.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    It's funny, my first job paid $4.35 an hour and Sonic 3 on the Genesis cost me $50. My son is going to get $12.50 an hour and new games cost $60ish. I think he's pretty lucky plus he's working with two friends and they get employee movie showings which seems super fun. I'm glad that the lack of workers is pushing the pay up for these jobs.

Ironically, the solution to a low labour force is the one thing silly geese generally hate. Immigrants and lots of them. Try throwing that one at your conservative associates. 😂

Hungary's solution has been to sponsor big families (like literally, cash prizes for having 5 children). It... is not working at all. Educated young people flee the country in droves instead.

Aldo wrote: »
    Hungary's solution has been to sponsor big families (like literally, cash prizes for having 5 children). It... is not working at all. Educated young people flee the country in droves instead.

The same thing is happening in most of the States. Most anyone born in rural areas who goes to post high school education bails for the nearest city. My wife's from a mining town in Northern Minnesota and that city has been quietly collapsing on itself for the last ten years.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    It's funny, my first job paid $4.35 an hour and Sonic 3 on the Genesis cost me $50. My son is going to get $12.50 an hour and new games cost $60ish. I think he's pretty lucky plus he's working with two friends and they get employee movie showings which seems super fun. I'm glad that the lack of workers is pushing the pay up for these jobs.

It's okay you'll have the last laugh when he tries to buy a house but finds all property is owned by mega rental corporations in our shitty corporate dystopia.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

It's okay you'll have the last laugh when he tries to buy a house but finds all property is owned by mega rental corporations in our shitty corporate dystopia.

I've noticed a lot of local appartment complexes being bought by the same management companies, because they all change the name to "[Holding company] [local feature]" or w/e, and I'm not looking forward to what this means for the future. I guess eventually my parents will die, we'll move into their place, and then Sapling can have our house. If she has kids and they want to move out at 18 or w/e maybe they can come live with their grandparents in the MiL suite/basement.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Rewarding people for having more children seems crazy, and I have a bunch of brothers and sisters. Plus there’s pure magic of wondering how people can manage more than two kids without losing their sanity.

My first job was in 1992 and it paid $4.25 per hour. Of course, gas was $0.97 a gallon, which I distinctly remember since my brother had $1.06 in change in his car to get enough gas to get home.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I only got spoiled on cheap gas in college when it was around the dollar mark for awhile. When I was in high school I lived on an island where gas is generally about a buck a gallon more than the mainland (but you didn't have many places to drive anyways I suppose).

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I saw a little kid today that I'm like, friends with? her parents are my friends and so I see her pretty often.

She ran up to me and stopped, counted to six and said "I don't have my shield yet so we gotta stay six feet away" and then she mimed giving me a hug and I was like oh god I can't stand it this is adorable.

I saw a little kid today that I'm like, friends with? her parents are my friends and so I see her pretty often.

She ran up to me and stopped, counted to six and said "I don't have my shield yet so we gotta stay six feet away" and then she mimed giving me a hug and I was like oh god I can't stand it this is adorable.

Ooooo that's a good idea, calling the vaccine your shield.

Aww man, Eric Carle and Lois Ehlert both passed away. Major children’s books figures.

Mother ffff the sewer under Little King's school is clogged and now they're closed until further notice. :( Last Monday school was closed because it was Second Pentecost-day (yeah, it's a thing), the week before it was Ascension Day and the day after off.

I just want the kid to be in school and me to be able to work.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    After extensive research I have concluded Cocomelon is the best one out there for kids songs.

SuperJojo is a pale imitation.

Little Angel is quite good though.

Oh god help me......

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    A few things

Ellie got another learning certificate today! She got one for learning and knowing how to spell her name *and* to write in the proper letter formation.

Also, there are ladybug and cat noir action figures at our local box store and I'm in danger I feel.

There's even a "dress up like ladybug" kit.

Send help.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Ugh, 5yo fell over today at school. Tripped and tore up his hand on the asphalt. They put a bandaid on.
    So I figured it was a minor graze or scrape.

But he's been complaining and crying about not wanting to take off the bandaid even though it's falling off after a day of use on his palm.

So I finally take it off at bedtime and see not a scrape or graze, but a big flap of skin has been mostly torn off and closed back. Little one says they didn't wash it or clean it before putting a bandaid on.
    There's a noticable amount of grit and dirt in the seams, and presumably under the flap of skin, but it's already started healing and resealing, so I can't open it back up and clean it properly.

Anyway, I took out my sterile gauze, some iodine, a new bandaid and held his arm down while he screamed so much he vomited while I did my best to clean around the edges of a dirty wound that was 10 hours old, because, yeah, it looks nasty. No wonder he was saying it stings and hurts. Not red and angry like there's an infection, but it would hurt and if there's any irritants in the wound it will be supersensitive and definitely need to be watched for further signs of infection.

Bit disappointed in the standard of care from the school though. Like, I know, I know kids will get hurt all the time, but closing up a torn skin flap with a bandaid without cleaning the dirt out.. that's not just me, right? It feels a bit substandard, but maybe my own sense of proportion here is off.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    What the hell.

No that's definitely not good enough

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Nah that's way below the expected standard.

I would get that looked at by a professional if possible.

Fishman wrote: »
    Ugh, 5yo fell over today at school. Tripped and tore up his hand on the asphalt. They put a bandaid on.
    So I figured it was a minor graze or scrape.

But he's been complaining and crying about not wanting to take off the bandaid even though it's falling off after a day of use on his palm.

So I finally take it off at bedtime and see not a scrape or graze, but a big flap of skin has been mostly torn off and closed back. Little one says they didn't wash it or clean it before putting a bandaid on.
    There's a noticable amount of grit and dirt in the seams, and presumably under the flap of skin, but it's already started healing and resealing, so I can't open it back up and clean it properly.

Anyway, I took out my sterile gauze, some iodine, a new bandaid and held his arm down while he screamed so much he vomited while I did my best to clean around the edges of a dirty wound that was 10 hours old, because, yeah, it looks nasty. No wonder he was saying it stings and hurts. Not red and angry like there's an infection, but it would hurt and if there's any irritants in the wound it will be supersensitive and definitely need to be watched for further signs of infection.

Bit disappointed in the standard of care from the school though. Like, I know, I know kids will get hurt all the time, but closing up a torn skin flap with a bandaid without cleaning the dirt out.. that's not just me, right? It feels a bit substandard, but maybe my own sense of proportion here is off.

No, you're in the right, they didn't take the right steps.

With that said, if at any point it starts to look infected you want to take him to the doctor.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My son wanted to wear rainbow bow, and decided he was beautiful
    https://youtu.be/1PyQO8TatPw

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing