As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

1505153555666

Posts

  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 1
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    CroakerBC on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yesterday my 27 month old son climbed on to my wife's lap, grabbed her boobs and said "wobble wobble".

    Not sure where he got that from :P

    lonelyahavaLindsay LohanElvenshaeKayne Red RobeMichaelLCmrpakuMegaMan001kimeKalnaurschussBanzai5150PeenMNC DoverSatanic JesussponoBrodyShadowfireMunkus BeaverJaysonFourFishmanhonovereSlacker71
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist screaming Registered User regular
    My 9 year old has an assignment in her class for next week: gather pictures of the things you like so we can make a personal collage in our composition books. The problem I'm worried about is that she's still interested in a lot of the "preschool" level things like PBS shows and Nick Jr. shows. She has Down Syndrome so I think her interests will always be behind a lot of her class and maybe they'll think she's babyish for liking them.

    What are 9 year olds interested in these days? Does it matter or and I just overly worried because of her disabilities?

    @Janson @Moriveth tagging you because I know you have a 9 year old.

  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    On the other end of the age bracket, just dropped my senior off for his first day of his last year of school. Crazy how time flies. I hope between masking and vaccinations they can make it through the year without going remote.

    My wife has her first day of school today today too (second grade) so me and the cats have the apartment to ourselves and it feels bizarre.

    DisruptedCapitalistmrpakuBanzai5150Slacker71
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lockdown feelings hit on a big way tonight.

    45 minute screaming, crying, tantrum about bedtime and everything else leading to throwing up phlegm and then passing out exhausted.

    My poor poor extrovert child.

    Stuck in s house with 2 introvert parents who are both still working full time.

    mrpakuBrodyJaysonFour
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    Oh, just because they can tell you what they need, doesn't mean they will tell you what they need.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    KalnaurElvenshaeMegaMan001CruorBanzai5150ErlecMNC DoverlonelyahavaBrodyShadowfireJaysonFourGnizmoSlacker71
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    Oh, just because they can tell you what they need, doesn't mean they will tell you what they need.

    This I believe.
    Might be a step up over “Not cold not wet maybe hungry? Maybe toothies? Idk”

  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lockdown feelings hit on a big way tonight.

    45 minute screaming, crying, tantrum about bedtime and everything else leading to throwing up phlegm and then passing out exhausted.

    My poor poor extrovert child.

    Stuck in s house with 2 introvert parents who are both still working full time.

    my son has been home with us the past few weeks as there was a gap between camp/school. He's been so bored and clingy - the first day of school was hilarious as you could see he had filled up his socialization cup.

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Oh, good, watching our niece Cheer at the JV Football game has given Athena a whole new audience to tell about how she carried me in her tummy when I was a baby

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    BrodyCroakerBCElvenshaeJaysonFourSlacker71
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    Oh, just because they can tell you what they need, doesn't mean they will tell you what they need.

    Or they will spend an hour drive demanding food, pick the food to be prepared, then decide they aren't hungry and go to bed choosing not to eat.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    Oh, just because they can tell you what they need, doesn't mean they will tell you what they need.

    Or they will spend an hour drive demanding food, pick the food to be prepared, then decide they aren't hungry and go to bed choosing not to eat.

    I have managed, with no small effort, to feed and bathe and clean the small human and put him to bed solo while the Mrs is out at a work thing.

    Did he refuse his bottle? Yes he did.

    Will he wake up in a couple of hours, starving and screaming? No doubt in my mind.

    BrodyPerrsunCarpylonelyahavaSlacker71
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hello teething my old friend. It’s 02:30 and here we are again, with a little sad boy who can’t stop crying in his sleep.

    Of course, I figured he was hungry (maybe growth spurt), so spun up a bottle. Put him down to make it, come back and he’s conked right out.

    Oh, no, awake again.

    ETA: sucked the bottle dry, and may actually settle again.

    I live for the day when he’s able to tell us what he needs.

    Oh, just because they can tell you what they need, doesn't mean they will tell you what they need.

    Or they will spend an hour drive demanding food, pick the food to be prepared, then decide they aren't hungry and go to bed choosing not to eat.

    I have managed, with no small effort, to feed and bathe and clean the small human and put him to bed solo while the Mrs is out at a work thing.

    Did he refuse his bottle? Yes he did.

    Will he wake up in a couple of hours, starving and screaming? No doubt in my mind.

    Update: he did not. He did, however, suck down his usual night feed bottle and polish off a second smaller one, before spending 02:00-07:00 alternating sleeping and throwing himself around the crib, screaming, for the second night in a row, pausing only to devour another extra bottle around 04:00 when I finally gave up.

    Think it’s some sort of growth spurt/teething, but I am so tired.

    Kayne Red RobeBrodyElvenshaeJaysonFourSlacker71
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Update update (sorry!) daycare have sent him home with a runny nose, so that’s the rest of my week nuked. Send help!

    mrpakuplufim
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My son's Covid test came back negative. Looks like it's just a good old school acquired RSV or some other seasonal virus. His fever is gone today, but now his younger brother is sick. Gonna be a long weekend.

    KalnaurDisruptedCapitalistAldoCroakerBCCarpyMNC DoverShadowfireJaysonFourmrpakuAngrySquirrelElvenshaeKayne Red RobekimeSlacker71
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Middle Guy is becoming a bit of a storyteller...which is, great! But it is absolutely, completely exhausting

    "Storytelling" involves talking *at* me while he builds the story from scratch... non-stop, almost without taking a breath. He follows me into the backyard telling the story...into the kitchen...into the bathroom! Circles me around the couch when I finally go to sit down, still telling and acting out the story. The story has no real beginning or end. If I stop paying attention for a minute because the story never actually stops, he gets offended and makes me take a break from whatever I'm doing so he can back up and run through the parts I missed. The story sometimes continues right up until I'm putting him to bed, at which point he gets offended that I don't want to listen anymore and goes to bed "sad that I didn't want to hear his story *pout*". I don't want him to think I don't like listening to him, but...it feels less like "I wanna share this with my dad!" and more like "I'm going to be aggressively sociable and attention-seeking until someone makes me to stop"

    I have been listening to his plans to usurp the Nightmare King with his deadly machines and harvest the dreams from Earth and how this involves flying into space with stolen rocket ships for thirty solid minutes now. He's flying to space behind me even as I type this. Child, what is so wrong with the concept of momentary silence?

    KalnaurlonelyahavaBrodyAldoElvenshaeSharpyVIIKayne Red RobePeenkimeDisruptedCapitalistadejaanMichaelLCJaysonFourSlacker71
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Tbf that does sound better than his previous attention seeking behavior that you talked about. Maybe you can channel it into drawing his stories or writing them down?

    Kayne Red RobePeenmrpakuDisruptedCapitalistSlacker71
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Tbf that does sound better than his previous attention seeking behavior that you talked about. Maybe you can channel it into drawing his stories or writing them down?

    This is a really good idea, he's been very into art lately and he tends to be quiet for the time he does it! That way when he wraps up, I can stop and listen and give him 100% of my attention for awhile (instead of the current situation of having to maintain a nearly-constant 50-75% of my attention with him)

    Been reading up on properly addressing attention seeking behaviors for six year olds this morning, because yet again he threw out all the stops to avoid going to bed on time last night (despite me finishing listening to his story, and reading him a book, and an elaborate tuck-in, and a discussion on school friends, and then a water refill, and then...wait! Wait! Come back!....)

    And it was also yet another morning of him creeping down the stairs to stare at me on the couch until I woke up (which we've discussed/he's gotten in trouble for easily fifty+ times by now, to no effect: it's worth getting in trouble to him, if it mans "time to get up"). Today he insisted it wasn't even his fault, it was Tiny Wonder's idea/plan, he should be in trouble! (Tiny Wonder is three)

    Partner and I are currently debating whether I just go sleep in the basement or the car in the mornings, so I don't wake up to a six year old boring holes in my skull until I wake up and look at him again

  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Five Below is a great place to get cheap big sketch pads, setting him up with one and a set of crayons might be just the thing.

    mrpakuCruorDisruptedCapitalistLindsay LohanElvenshaeMichaelLC
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Ah crap, a kid at Little King's after school program has Corona, so now Little King has to go into quarantine until he is allowed to be tested on Monday and gets the results (hopefully) Tuesday. That means we just had to cancel his birthday party that he was gonna have with his family.

    On the bright side, Little King is pretty chill about it. I hold no hope we won't have a few meltdowns over this.

    On the other bright side, (insofar 'bright' can also mean postapoc hellscape as portrayed in FFXIV award winning expansion Shadowbringers). The kid is five and knows what quarantine is and how to pronounce it.

  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    There was a confirmed covid case in my son's kindergarten class, so I'm kinda glad he's been sick with something else and has been out of school all week. Fewer chances for exposure! Silver linings and all that.

    Aldo
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We're still in limited lockdown, but Mr 8yo still somehow contrived a daring subterfuge to create a weekend scavenger hunt leading to this greatest of Dad-joke inversions to celebrate Father's Day:
    ajrUYMPh.jpg

    I am suitably impressed that somehow this was all arranged in the house without my awareness while we are all literally stuck inside it.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    KetarlonelyahavaAldoShadowfireMegaMan001ElvenshaemrpakuPerrsunkimeLindsay LohanAngrySquirrelKalnaurCalicaDisruptedCapitalistKayne Red RobeCarpyBrodyMorivethVivixenneMechMantisSporkAndrewpookaJaysonFourPeendjmitchellaexisSlacker71
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I attempted to get my kid involved in baking shortbread cookies for ecco.

    She licked the batter from the spatula, gave me a thumbs up, and that was it.

    But ecco has homemade shortbread cookies. Just the simple rounds from the Edmonds cookbook.

    Which uses icing sugar and Cornflour as well as regular flour and they're super melty in the mouth as a result.

    CalicaKayne Red RobeJaysonFourSlacker71
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    How many peoples daycares are imposing a standard 14 day quarantine for a positive case in the classroom? It's frustrating when our pediatrician said he'd be safe to leave quarantine around 10 days later with his negative PCR test and I'm not sure what the thinking is there.

    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ridiculous child does not have covid.

    He can however now reach a (dregs) mug left under our coffee machine, pour its dirty water contents on the floor, and then drop the mug, before sitting in the pool of cold dirty water.

    Ask me how I know.

    Kayne Red RobeCarpyBrodyJaysonFourSlacker71
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    How many peoples daycares are imposing a standard 14 day quarantine for a positive case in the classroom? It's frustrating when our pediatrician said he'd be safe to leave quarantine around 10 days later with his negative PCR test and I'm not sure what the thinking is there.

    Dutch govt has 10 days.

  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The guidelines are officially ten days. However, it was fourteen at one point, so they probably just never updated.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    mrpakuKalnaur
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    How many peoples daycares are imposing a standard 14 day quarantine for a positive case in the classroom? It's frustrating when our pediatrician said he'd be safe to leave quarantine around 10 days later with his negative PCR test and I'm not sure what the thinking is there.

    Ours is 14 if you don't have a negative COVID test and then if you get one.

    Just one more time I'd like to say fuck everyone who's exacerbating this pandemic in the united states because, man, I heard my three year old girl quietly whisper "Daddy I'm scared" when she walked in to get her swabbed so she can go back to daycare Tuesday.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    MichaelLCCroakerBCKalnaurGnizmoBahamutZEROJaysonFourPeenSlacker71
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Kid has started sleeping through the night for the first time in his life.

    Just as we get used to actually having sleep he starts a big separation anxiety phase and won't sleep unless he's basically lying on my wife.

    Sigh....

    It'll pass eventually but full night's sleep were nice whilst they lasted.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Quarantine with a 5 yo is just about as much fun as with a 4 yo. The kid also isn't much good at entertaining himself, he just always looks at me to come up with the next activity and when I tell him I'm going to do something for myself he just drops everything he was doing to involve himself in whatever I want to do. He's helped me with the plants on the balcony, with cleaning the shower and cleaning chairs, all to just be able to spend even more time with me.

    mrpakulonelyahavaElvenshae
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sapling just got some Pokemon cards out of a cereal box, and combined with her cousin having some Pokemon plushies, she's very interested. Unf the tv show is rated TY7, and when I tried She-Ra with her (granted it was a year plus ago) she couldn't quite grasp the nuance of Adora being raised by the Horde etc. But I feel like Pokemon was always pretty straightforward.

    Additionally, fuck mystery boxes. They bought a couple for her cousins, and now she wants one of the specific toys they had gotten and so we're stuck trying to explain why mystery boxes are bad to a 4 year old.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    lonelyahavaJaysonFourKayne Red Robe
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 5
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling just got some Pokemon cards out of a cereal box, and combined with her cousin having some Pokemon plushies, she's very interested. Unf the tv show is rated TY7, and when I tried She-Ra with her (granted it was a year plus ago) she couldn't quite grasp the nuance of Adora being raised by the Horde etc. But I feel like Pokemon was always pretty straightforward.

    Additionally, fuck mystery boxes. They bought a couple for her cousins, and now she wants one of the specific toys they had gotten and so we're stuck trying to explain why mystery boxes are bad to a 4 year old.
    Little King got bitten by the Pokemon bug around the same age. The tv series are pretty straightforward and have enough cute animals and EPIC BATTLES to hold a 4 year old their attention. Some episodes can be spooky or end on cliff hangers that make it seem like a character is going to die. There's also a few episodes in the more recent series that deal with alternative dimensions and time travel that are too complex for little kids.

    If you're looking for other Pokemon stuff:
    Pokemon Playhouse as an app works great and had no IAPs or ads.
    Pokemon Cafe Mix looks cute, but does have IAPs

    The CCG is exactly that, but to play the game your sprout needs to be able to read and do basic calculations. I would never buy cards until they're old enough for this.

    Aldo on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling just got some Pokemon cards out of a cereal box, and combined with her cousin having some Pokemon plushies, she's very interested. Unf the tv show is rated TY7, and when I tried She-Ra with her (granted it was a year plus ago) she couldn't quite grasp the nuance of Adora being raised by the Horde etc. But I feel like Pokemon was always pretty straightforward.

    Additionally, fuck mystery boxes. They bought a couple for her cousins, and now she wants one of the specific toys they had gotten and so we're stuck trying to explain why mystery boxes are bad to a 4 year old.
    Little King got bitten by the Pokemon bug around the same age. The tv series are pretty straightforward and have enough cute animals and EPIC BATTLES to hold a 4 year old their attention. Some episodes can be spooky or end on cliff hangers that make it seem like a character is going to die. There's also a few episodes in the more recent series that deal with alternative dimensions and time travel that are too complex for little kids.

    If you're looking for other Pokemon stuff:
    Pokemon Playhouse as an app works great and had no IAPs or ads.
    Pokemon Cafe Mix looks cute, but does have IAPs

    The CCG is exactly that, but to play the game your sprout needs to be able to read and do basic calculations. I would never buy cards until they're old enough for this.

    Yeah, I figured the greater ecosystem was something we'd hold off on. Just wasn't sure if the show would be acceptable for her age range. I think we might wait anyways, I forgot that the whole thing is about fighting, and she seems to fixate on that a lot.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Listening to our little boy cough in his sleep and struggle to get comfortable is the worst thing. I just want him to be better and bouncing off to daycare full of beans on Tuesday.

    CruorVivixenneSharpyVIIElvenshaeJaysonFourschuss
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Listening to our little boy cough in his sleep and struggle to get comfortable is the worst thing. I just want him to be better and bouncing off to daycare full of beans on Tuesday.

    My older son has just finally today kicked his fever and no longer has a barking cough when he tries to sleep. He's been sick since Monday night, and it's nice that he's on the mend. He did sleep for almost a full day and a half over Friday/Saturday, which seems to have been what did it. He gets that from me - I'm miserable to be around when I'm sick and then I just sleep it off.

    Hope your little guy kicks the sickness soon!

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    In my head, logically, I know that taking Athena to the yearly Renaissance Festival by myself is probably a bad idea on several fronts....and yet...

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    DisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeJaysonFour
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    In my head, logically, I know that taking Athena to the yearly Renaissance Festival by myself is probably a bad idea on several fronts....and yet...

    She's like 4 now, right? I expect it wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as you go in knowing you aren't going to get to do anything other than look at stuff, and maybe watch as she participates.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    ElvenshaeSlacker71
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Both kids COVID negative, going back to daycare tomorrow. Thank the Maker.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    SharpyVIIMNC Doverani_game_bumElvenshaeShadowfireJaysonFourMichaelLCAldoSporkAndrewKayne Red RobemrpakuschussLindsay LohanPerrsunPeenlonelyahavadjmitchellaAngrySquirrelplufimBanzai5150CarpySlacker71
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Listening to our little boy cough in his sleep and struggle to get comfortable is the worst thing. I just want him to be better and bouncing off to daycare full of beans on Tuesday.

    My older son has just finally today kicked his fever and no longer has a barking cough when he tries to sleep. He's been sick since Monday night, and it's nice that he's on the mend. He did sleep for almost a full day and a half over Friday/Saturday, which seems to have been what did it. He gets that from me - I'm miserable to be around when I'm sick and then I just sleep it off.

    Hope your little guy kicks the sickness soon!

    We are now at the "We'll see if he's well enough to go to daycare in the morning" stage. both silently praying that he is.
    Seems a lot better, but needs to sleep and shake the last of it off.
    But we could really use the time to, e.g., go to the grocery shop.

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    In my head, logically, I know that taking Athena to the yearly Renaissance Festival by myself is probably a bad idea on several fronts....and yet...

    She's like 4 now, right? I expect it wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as you go in knowing you aren't going to get to do anything other than look at stuff, and maybe watch as she participates.

    I mean crowds of people, her wanting to run from one thing to the next, she has a very sensitive smell-induced gag reflex so portapotties aren't her friend

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    Kalnaur
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gah more than 24 hours later and still no test results. Little King is coughing a lot, so regardless of the results he can't go to school like this. If it is Covid they probably need to cancel his school trip for the whole class, so the stakes are unfairly high.

Sign In or Register to comment.