As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

1697072747583

Posts

  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    y9jvnc433jcr.png
    sigh, guess who picked up covid from after school care!

    That's about as confusing as a pregnancy test.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it's actually not bad. the C stands for Control and should have a line after any test, if it's blank something got fucked up
    The T stands for Test and if there is a line, even if it's super faint, it's positive

    it's... basically a pregnancy test lol

    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    crimsoncoyoteKetarhonoverePerrsunSporkAndrewdiscriderDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeKayne Red RobeMulysaSemproniusCorvusSlacker71ShadowfireThro
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Well, PCR test was negative for the older kiddo. Younger one is still in daycare and hasn't had any symptoms of anything, so that's a relief

    Kayne Red Robe
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I honestly thought it was a pregnancy test at first.

    I was all ready to let loose with the mazel Tov and the blessings.


    Bloody Covid, messing with my vibe.

    DisruptedCapitalistsponoKayne Red RobecrimsoncoyoteSlacker71ShadowfireThro
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    We got the whole family tested today, we’ve been to exposure sites, but not at times that were listed as at risk. But the kid is pretty sick with a cough and gastro and I have a sore throat so we went through the drive through. Guess we’ll find out soon!

  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    At my kids' school, they basically gave up on contact tracing, and gave everybody home tests to take twice a week. We live in an area of town that has low vaccination rates, and we've been getting a lot of exposures since the beginning. So for the past few weeks, we've been doing a test on Sunday and on Thursday.
    And let me tell you, each company has their own unique way of setting up the test that is just confusing enough that I have to carefully read the instructions each time. I'm glad the lines and the swabbing is usually about the same, so that's easy enough to do. But everything else has its own unique way.. prefer the strips in the liquid.. dislike whatever Binax is doing..

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    5 seconds in each nostrils, or maybe 10 or 15. Gotta leave the sample testing liquid from anything between 15 seconds and 1 minute. Some tests want 3 drops, some want 4.

  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    Jesus tap dancing christ the UK still isn't vaccinating 5-11 year olds? Holy shit, I thought we were slow on it in Canada, but that is criminal.

    :so_raven:
    SporkAndrewVivixenne
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    Jesus tap dancing christ the UK still isn't vaccinating 5-11 year olds? Holy shit, I thought we were slow on it in Canada, but that is criminal.

    Netherlands started to allow appointments for children only yesterday. And now the crazies are out in force telling parents that there's no reason to vaccinate children.

    I have no idea how humanity has thrived on this planet for so long.

    amethystoakSporkAndrew
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I'm in Washington state and my kiddo's appointment for her first shot isn't until Feb first, despite how long they've been available here.

    Her pediatrician ran out very quickly and never seemed to get more. Which meant a pharmacy, which turned out to be a multi month wait for her. I'm glad that implies people around here are aggressively seeking them out, but come on :/

    Oh, looks like her pediatrician got more in time to be too short staffed to be able to offer them outside of an already scheduled visit for something else. But you apparently technically can! Oh well, a couple more weeksish

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I'm in Washington state and my kiddo's appointment for her first shot isn't until Feb first, despite how long they've been available here.

    Her pediatrician ran out very quickly and never seemed to get more. Which meant a pharmacy, which turned out to be a multi month wait for her. I'm glad that implies people around here are aggressively seeking them out, but come on :/

    Oh, looks like her pediatrician got more in time to be too short staffed to be able to offer them outside of an already scheduled visit for something else. But you apparently technically can! Oh well, a couple more weeksish

    Yeah it's hard to get shots here. Even for adults it's not trivial. Like you said, that's probably a good sign, but it's also really annoying and frustrating.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    Jesus tap dancing christ the UK still isn't vaccinating 5-11 year olds? Holy shit, I thought we were slow on it in Canada, but that is criminal.

    Don't worry, face masks in schools aren't mandatory as of tomorrow!

    UK government has decided Covid is over!

    SporkAndrewhonovere
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    Jesus tap dancing christ the UK still isn't vaccinating 5-11 year olds? Holy shit, I thought we were slow on it in Canada, but that is criminal.

    Don't worry, face masks in schools aren't mandatory as of tomorrow!

    UK government has decided Covid is over!

    Are they hoping enough people die they won't notice Boris is an idiot?

    :so_raven:
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    We've got a Covid-positive little one off from school. On Sunday when we did the test to confirm he was incredibly lethargic and actually napped on the sofa instead of raptly watching a movie, so we knew something was up. Then on Monday he spent the day on the sofa in my loft / office cuddled under a blanket with the dog. Yesterday and today he is literally bouncing off walls and back to his normal self but he's still showing up positive on the lateral flow tests we've done, so he's off school until at least next Monday.

    Luckily neither my other half or I have caught it off him so far, but I guess that's what being triple-vaxxed helps with -- we also managed to mix the viral-load AZ with mRNA Pfizer vaccines so that seems to have given us a good level of immunity.

    Now I just need the UK government to get off their arses and approve the vaccine for the under 12s. He can't really afford to keep missing entire weeks of school

    Jesus tap dancing christ the UK still isn't vaccinating 5-11 year olds? Holy shit, I thought we were slow on it in Canada, but that is criminal.

    Don't worry, face masks in schools aren't mandatory as of tomorrow!

    UK government has decided Covid is over!

    Are they hoping enough people die they won't notice Boris is an idiot?

    Yep. All the populist, loony-back-bencher positive policies coming out to distract from Boris "I didn't know this party was illegal" Johnson. In the same week as we're losing all restrictions in favour of "if you want to wear a mask, but w/e" we get the announcement that the BBC is going to lose all funding and they're looking at getting the Navy to turn away migrant boats and escort them to Ghana for processing.

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    SharpyVII
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena has trouble with making an s-sound into a consonant (school, sports, etc) so we would work with her by having her go "sss-sss-sss. cuh-cuh-cuh." but she confused this for the sound you make whenever you need to clarify something.

    A: Can we go to the (word that starts with a t)
    Me: The what?
    A: *exasperated sigh* The (Word). You know: sss-sss-cuh-cuh (word that starts with a t)

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    ElvenshaeSlacker71discriderFishman
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley has really leaned into the "Pwease?" pronunciation and my god it is so cute and when she figures out I literally will do anything for her if she asks politely I'm going to be ruined

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    ElvenshaeKalnaurPerrsunDaMoonRulzkimeSlacker71Kayne Red RobesponoJaysonFour
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Another day, another email that multiple teachers in my son's school tested positive for Covid and they've decided to do nothing about it.

    Love this, so fun, so normal.

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So I guess the preschool doesn't want Athena back until she has a note from the Doc saying they molluscum is all cleared up (after getting a doc's note saying it's molluscum) and it sounds like it can take such a wide array of time for them to clear up that maybe she's not going to go back this year?

    I'm trying to look into fingerless gloves/armsleeves to see if that will help. She says they're not itchy, and is freaked out that bandaids will rip her skin off , so maybe a Hot Topic phase is the right solution.

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • ThroThro [email protected] Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So I guess the preschool doesn't want Athena back until she has a note from the Doc saying they molluscum is all cleared up (after getting a doc's note saying it's molluscum) and it sounds like it can take such a wide array of time for them to clear up that maybe she's not going to go back this year?

    I'm trying to look into fingerless gloves/armsleeves to see if that will help. She says they're not itchy, and is freaked out that bandaids will rip her skin off , so maybe a Hot Topic phase is the right solution.
    Woah yeah the heck? Even being actively treated by meds or doc that's several weeks. At least one for it to work and then another couple to wait and see if any come back and get re-treated.
    It's not even super transmittable (unless it's on her hands?), and not dangerous.

    There's a 100% chance she got it from the preschool in the first place.

    honovere
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So I guess the preschool doesn't want Athena back until she has a note from the Doc saying they molluscum is all cleared up (after getting a doc's note saying it's molluscum) and it sounds like it can take such a wide array of time for them to clear up that maybe she's not going to go back this year?

    I'm trying to look into fingerless gloves/armsleeves to see if that will help. She says they're not itchy, and is freaked out that bandaids will rip her skin off , so maybe a Hot Topic phase is the right solution.
    Woah yeah the heck? Even being actively treated by meds or doc that's several weeks. At least one for it to work and then another couple to wait and see if any come back and get re-treated.
    It's not even super transmittable (unless it's on her hands?), and not dangerous.

    There's a 100% chance she got it from the preschool in the first place.

    She has some on the back of her hand, but not palm.

    She could have gotten it from the preschool, or the trampoline park we go to isn't properly sanitized, or I had to make her stop licking the grocery cart at the store today....the list is endless

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    DisruptedCapitalistSlacker71Elvenshae
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i haven't felt a moment of relief lately as I did this morning.

    We got out all of Ellie's old school uniforms from last year, and needed to see what still fit, what didn't so we could buy more.

    Almost all of her bottoms fit, we just need to get some leggings and maybe some new tights. And every single one of her uniform shirts fit.

    I am.

    Ecstatic.

    Considering that the uniform tops and bottoms are $35 each, and the school is working on a rebrand of the uniform this year, I really really wasn't looking forward to buying a bunch more.

    and now, I don't.

    Hallelujah god be praised.

    mrpakucrimsoncoyoteCroakerBCJaysonFourElvenshae
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Every kid in my house is an unwitting Bruce Banner, and every bit of cloth or fabric they wear is exactly two seconds from becoming a casualty of the "you'll be 6'5 one day, and we need to prepare now" experience

    Elvenshae
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Our wee one is 6 weeks old. In the last week she's started smiling when she sees us. What an absolutely unreal feeling.

    I've always sung when I'm alone but am usually too embarrassed to sing even in front of my wife. I've been singing to bubs when I'm cuddling her and she clearly has some sort of debilitating hearing deficiency because she loves it. Tonight she was upset and grizzly and I could not get her to chill until I sang to her and she fell asleep in my arms. Man my heart's hurting just thinking about it.

    AldoProlegomenahonoverelonelyahavamrpakusponoShadowfirekimeDisruptedCapitalistMegaMan001PeenPerrsunadejaanMNC DoverKayne Red RobecrimsoncoyoteCruorDaMoonRulzAngrySquirrelJaysonFourVivixenneElvenshaeschussMulysaSemproniusBanzai5150Slacker71djmitchellaCorvusFishman
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Registered User regular
    That's awesome

    We are not allowed to sing or dance along to any song that the boy is listening to, lest we receive a flurry of "no's"

    640qocnq4ske.gif
    ShadowfiremrpakuPerrsunMNC DoverCruorAngrySquirrelSlacker71
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    That's awesome

    We are not allowed to sing or dance along to any song that the boy is listening to, lest we receive a flurry of "no's"

    The boy is rocking out to Baby Shark as we speak. Only Baby Shark now, forever.

    Banzai5150Slacker71
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Another COVID exposure! I love living like this

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    CruorCorvus
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Gonna take my son to soft play by myself tomorrow.

    At least it'll get me out of going to the gym with all the lifting and climbing I'll be doing :P

    Hard trying to find stuff to keep him occupied with during the week when I'm off work but my wife isn't. Too cold and miserable to go to the park multiple times a week.

  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Another COVID exposure! I love living like this

    You could be my son and I, being bleached white from lack of exposure to the sun for the past almost two years . . . :lol:

    Seriously, though, I really wish people would just . . . keep the sick kid home. Of course in our current social set-up that's not always tenable. :sad:

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Another COVID exposure! I love living like this

    You could be my son and I, being bleached white from lack of exposure to the sun for the past almost two years . . . :lol:

    Seriously, though, I really wish people would just . . . keep the sick kid home. Of course in our current social set-up that's not always tenable. :sad:

    Oh man it wasn't even another kid at the daycare, two for two it was providers!

    Ripley wants to go out and play but it's -4 Fahrenheit here so...no.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Was getting ready to settle in for some games and my niece comes bursting in with her iPad and tears streaming down her face (mom was at a PTA meeting).

    Turns out she was screwing around in Adopt Me on Roblox and had actually learned how to be a little jackass and had gotten into trust trading- scamming items from other people by promising to trade them stuff, then just taking their items.

    Well, guess who just found out what a three-day swat with the banhammer feels like?

    She’s damn near inconsolable, and apologizing like there’s no tomorrow and sobbing, and it’s just… well, this is one of the lessons you need to learn- if you act like a silly goose, people are going to treat you like a silly goose, hence the three-day ban. Yes, it sucks, but to be honest? She deserved it, and ought to be feeling lucky it wasn’t a weeklong ban or account deletion (considering the amount of her allowance and holiday money she’s dropped into the game, well… it’d be a disaster if that happened).

    I just… ugh. How do you tell a sobbing nine-year-old who just fucked around and found out that this is what happens when you fuck around and find out (with much less colorful language, obviously)? Yeah, she’s sad and crying about it, but from what I know, it was all justified… and how do we keep this from happening again?

    Mom is home now and trying to console her, but there’s no way we can fix this for her. She’s just very distraught and keeps apologizing…

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    exisSlacker71
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 24
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Was getting ready to settle in for some games and my niece comes bursting in with her iPad and tears streaming down her face (mom was at a PTA meeting).

    Turns out she was screwing around in Adopt Me on Roblox and had actually learned how to be a little jackass and had gotten into trust trading- scamming items from other people by promising to trade them stuff, then just taking their items.

    Well, guess who just found out what a three-day swat with the banhammer feels like?

    She’s damn near inconsolable, and apologizing like there’s no tomorrow and sobbing, and it’s just… well, this is one of the lessons you need to learn- if you act like a silly goose, people are going to treat you like a silly goose, hence the three-day ban. Yes, it sucks, but to be honest? She deserved it, and ought to be feeling lucky it wasn’t a weeklong ban or account deletion (considering the amount of her allowance and holiday money she’s dropped into the game, well… it’d be a disaster if that happened).

    I just… ugh. How do you tell a sobbing nine-year-old who just fucked around and found out that this is what happens when you fuck around and find out (with much less colorful language, obviously)? Yeah, she’s sad and crying about it, but from what I know, it was all justified… and how do we keep this from happening again?

    Mom is home now and trying to console her, but there’s no way we can fix this for her. She’s just very distraught and keeps apologizing…

    Man, that's tough. Like you said, focus on how this is a positive that she learned scamming behavior is ultimately rewarded.

    Parent to parent it's a good thing it happened with such relative low consequences.

    I would also try to use this as the first of many examples that online life is still real life. Lying to people online is still lying and cheating them is still cheating them. Maybe use the "would you do this to a friend from school?"

    MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    ElvenshaeDaMoonRulzkimeDisruptedCapitalistKetarmrpakuMNC DoverKalnaurbloodyroarxxKayne Red RobeSlacker71ShadowfireadejaanSatanic JesusMechMantis
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think my first question would be, did she understand the morality, or lack thereof, of what she was doing in the first place?

    Was she actively doing this to be a scam, it was she just copying what everybody else was doing without fully grasping the environment it was happening in?

    Once I knew whether the child was being actually malicious or just naive would inform a lot of my further reaction.


    I'm going to assume that based on what we know about your sister, your niece was likely not best prepared for the reality of "the internet is fucking dangerous, trust nobody".

    KalnaurMegaMan001
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I think my first question would be, did she understand the morality, or lack thereof, of what she was doing in the first place?

    Was she actively doing this to be a scam, it was she just copying what everybody else was doing without fully grasping the environment it was happening in?

    Once I knew whether the child was being actually malicious or just naive would inform a lot of my further reaction.


    I'm going to assume that based on what we know about your sister, your niece was likely not best prepared for the reality of "the internet is fucking dangerous, trust nobody".

    Pretty much. She saw someone doing it and decided to do it herself, apparently, and she was the one who got hit for it.

    My sister's an idiot most of the time, yeah, what with the no vaccine thing and this and throwing copious amounts of Roblox bucks at my niece and yet not teaching her a damn thing as to how not be an asshole online. I think I'll have to be the one that gives her the talk about how to act online. She's lucky it was only a three-day ban, because it could have been a week or account deletion, and I know my sister would have been absolutely irate if she lost that account because of all the holiday and allowance money she's given her in Roblox cards.

    But at least it seems to be sticking. It's a shock, but sometimes people need to find out the stove is hot by touching it, that water is cold by jumping in, and that GMs for stuff like Roblox don't fuck around when someone talks about wanting to scam people or actually trying to scam people.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    About the only thing you can do is validate her feelings, yeah you do feel bad, and there are consequences because of it.

    honovereElvenshaeMegaMan001mrpakuVivixennekimeKalnaurMNC DoverSlacker71Shadowfire
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    About the only thing you can do is validate her feelings, yeah you do feel bad, and there are consequences because of it.

    I like this approach. It's good she feels bad, because that means her conscience is working and maybe that means she could understand how bad the people she took advantage of feel.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    ElvenshaeVivixenneKalnaurSlacker71Shadowfire
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter might have the flu.
    She had the flu pretty much every year before COVID, and it has always manifested like this- sick stomach and feeling unwell. It's usually mild, and we always get the vaccine every year. We had thought that she might have had a weakened immune system from her untreated (undiagnosed) Celiacs.. which we coincidentally got diagnosed at the beginning of ~*all this*~. So we were hoping that the flu wasn't coming back.
    I mean, it could also be COVID. We did a antigen test right before her upset stomach, and it was negative, but that false negatives exist..

    Have a doctor's appointment this afternoon. Kind of hoping for the flu? Over COVID, at least, with just a generic upset stomach being the most preferable. I know it's worse for kids, but I know how she generally reacts to it, especially if we catch it early and get the antivirals.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    About the only thing you can do is validate her feelings, yeah you do feel bad, and there are consequences because of it.

    I like this approach. It's good she feels bad, because that means her conscience is working and maybe that means she could understand how bad the people she took advantage of feel.

    Linking how she feels about getting banned to how others must feel for being taken advantage could be an effective move, depending on how her social development is going.

    The main thing though is that she isn’t going to be able to internalize any lessons until she feels heard and understood. It’s a good idea to start there - it must feel really bad to lose access to something you like, do you feel bad about not getting to play or getting caught/in trouble or? - then see how she’s feeling and where her head is, and that’ll tell you how best to approach the learning part of the program.

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    KalnaurFeriluce
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    About the only thing you can do is validate her feelings, yeah you do feel bad, and there are consequences because of it.

    I like this approach. It's good she feels bad, because that means her conscience is working and maybe that means she could understand how bad the people she took advantage of feel.

    One thing I've noticed hasn't been brought up but is important to point out: in the bigger wide world, which the internet is part of, for some actions an apology just won't cut it and it's best to just not do those things at all. Like, for example, stealing things from other people. It's important that she feels bad, because that means someone can hopefully use that to explain the nature of her actions, and it might be important to use this moment to ask how she'd have felt if she was the one being taken advantage of, as well as public places and rules. Most public places, you break the rules and you're out, and no amount of "I'm sorry" fixes it.

    Knowing to apologize when you've done wrong is very important, but it's also important to know that sometimes an apology isn't going to rectify the situation anymore than showing you're remorseful.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

    Slacker71Elvenshae
Sign In or Register to comment.