As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    My 5 year old this morning explained an exercise they do at kindergarten to learn letters and then tapped his head and said "so we remember it in our hippocampus brain thing"

I think I was like playing with toy dinosaurs in a sandbox in kindergarten.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    My 6-year old daughter and 4-year old son were racing this morning. My daughter, who’s naturally faster, got ahead of her brother easily and then declared, “Whoever’s in the lead can freeze the person behind them. Freeze!”

My son freezes and she starts laughing and runs further ahead before unfreezing him. This continues for over a minute.

Today my son learned how capitalism works, while my daughter learned first-hand how revolutions work because he stopped listening and blew past her for the win. :lol:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Up for 3.5 hours in the middle of the night trying to settle the teething toddler. I'm very glad this is our last kid because the teething process is just awful with our progeny. Doing all the meds we can do, but you know they're uncomfortable when you're holding them and they're headbutting your sternum repeatedly.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Up for 3.5 hours in the middle of the night trying to settle the teething toddler. I'm very glad this is our last kid because the teething process is just awful with our progeny. Doing all the meds we can do, but you know they're uncomfortable when you're holding them and they're headbutting your sternum repeatedly.

You've done the numbing gel?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The actual medicated ones for kids (as opposed to homeopathic nonsense) are banned in Canada from what I can tell.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Hey other parents, do any of you have or have access to a Nugget couch? We only just heard about this thing and it seems like it'd be a really good fit for our basement family room but it'd be nice to hear about someone's firsthand experience with it, and specifically whether it's just good for kids or can an adult be on it somehow and have it be comfortable?

NSFW Nugget related:
    Yes I'm aware of the triangle cushions' similarity to sex furniture and I've seen the websites, but that's not really why we're interested in it.

Peen on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Hey other parents, do any of you have or have access to a Nugget couch? We only just heard about this thing and it seems like it'd be a really good fit for our basement family room but it'd be nice to hear about someone's firsthand experience with it, and specifically whether it's just good for kids or can an adult be on it somehow and have it be comfortable?

NSFW Nugget related:
    Yes I'm aware of the triangle cushions' similarity to sex furniture and I've seen the websites, but that's not really why we're interested in it.

We got a nugget for Lore for Christmas and she's really enjoyed climbing on it. Definitely a great addition to the play equipment. It's pretty shit as an actual couch though.

• Options

The actual medicated ones for kids (as opposed to homeopathic nonsense) are banned in Canada from what I can tell.

No shit? I had no idea. Not even topical lidocaine over the counter?

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

NSFW Nugget related:

We got a nugget for Lore for Christmas and she's really enjoyed climbing on it. Definitely a great addition to the play equipment. It's pretty shit as an actual couch though.

Pretty much this. We got one a while ago, and the kids love to play with the cushions. They're great for making forts with, and the kids like sitting on them.
    But they're not really great as furniture. They're not that uncomfortable, but also.. not really easy to just sit on.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

NSFW Nugget related:

Pretty much this. We got one a while ago, and the kids live to play with the cushions. They're great for making forts with, and the kids like sitting on them.
    But they're not really great as furniture. They're not that uncomfortable, but also.. not really easy to just sit on.

We ended up getting a second set for Christmas because it was being used so much. It's basically the only thing we have that gets daily use when the kids aren't in daycare.

• Options

No shit? I had no idea. Not even topical lidocaine over the counter?

I haven't asked a pharmacist, but I would think so.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The FDA also very seriously warns against topical oral analgesics for teething pain, and recommends chilled teething rings or rubbing a finger on the spot.

It's a far cry from my mom's solution "rub a little bit of whisky on the gums" :bigfrown:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We got a knockoff nugget from Sam's Club. Athena's bed is a loft bed so we put that underneath it for cousins to sleep over and as a reading area

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I babysat my little cousins during their teethings and they all would really just get down with gnawing on my knuckles.

the pressure was relieving, I guess.

but yeah, get them those freeze-y rings

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    The FDA also very seriously warns against topical oral analgesics for teething pain, and recommends chilled teething rings or rubbing a finger on the spot.

It's a far cry from my mom's solution "rub a little bit of whisky on the gums" :bigfrown:

And FDA guidelines should absolutely be followed.

*I used numbing gel like, not infrequently

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah numbing gel also not really available down here either.

we could get arnica gel

or just give the baby cold baby pickles.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I've linked them before but there are mesh teethers you can get that you put frozen fruit (or frozen whatever I guess, but why wouldn't you use fruit) in for your kid to gnaw on and that got us through my second kid's teething with barely a peep. You chuck a frozen strawberry slice or a few frozen raspberries in there and she was good for a while.

Peen on
  • Options
    Oh man, I've totally used this tactic before with my kids...

vl31g5xsfswg.png

...and it works almost every time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    yeah numbing gel also not really available down here either.

we could get arnica gel

or just give the baby cold baby pickles.

My guy eats a lot of semi-frozen blueberries.

As for giving the kid your finger to chew on, it's molars and canines coming in, so the sharpest teeth are already through, so uh, no thanks.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My son has discovered he can manually aim whilst having a pee on the toilet which resulted in him proudly telling my wife he was going to pee on her....

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We have an Australian version of the nugget, the kid is a bit small to use it and honestly as a couch, it’s not what I wanted to spend all evening on watching tv, but it does the job while I’m in that room.

• Options
    Okay so Ripley (4 YO girl) has developed a thing where she just picks at and tears her fingernails. I don't know if it's an anxiety thing and I don't want to label it so because she's only four.

I'm looking for like, fidget bracelets or whatever, suggestions.

I already bought the top listed "bubble bracelets" on Amazon which she's currently popping back and forth happily right now, but I want other options if they don't stick

• Options
    amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    Maybe slap bracelets or spinner rings. Or maybe try painting her nails? My 4 year old doesn't pick at her nails so I can't say for sure if those things would help or not, but she loves having her nails painted. We'll let her watch some cartoons while they dry so she'll hold still.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena had a Show and Tell presentation at preschool. We were worried that she wouldn't remember what to say about the clown statue my grandma got her.

At pick up time, the older teacher came up and said that in her 27 years of this she'd never had a kid go on for about 10 minutes straight without taking a breath, starting on topic and eventually talking about princesses and life choices and asking the audience questions for their input.

And this was her tonight telling a scary story (didn't get the start of it)

https://youtu.be/Xzbrr3NxV3s

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    IDK how prevalent Omicron is over there, but hoo boy it is just weird, here. Pretty much every day someone from my kid's class has a positive test, but no one is sick. It's just a revolving door of kids going in and out of quarantine. The rest of society is rearing to lick doorknobs together again, but currently 1 in 4 workers is quarantined, public transport is operating on a reduced schedule and health care is constantly planning and replanning appointments and classes keep getting sent home when schools can't find people to teach.

But yeah, wooh, we won.

Anyway, another kid from his class and korfball training just tested positive without symptoms. According to the Dutch CDC we don't have to do anything, just be weary of runny noses and coughing. IE: be stressed, but, like, relax.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    The early milestones are so fulfilling. Getting lots of smiles, particularly when she just wakes up. Melts your gosh darned heart. In the last couple of days she's started cooing and it's really quickly progressed from one-off accidents to more intentional and repeated. Just spent the last ten minutes when I was supposed to be working taking turns "ooh'ing" and smiling at each other. It's just wild how much things can change in a few days.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Enjoy it while it lasts, before you know it you'll have a toddler who spends all afternoon singing every song in his repertoire at full volume... :P

Was having a "conversation" with my 2.5 year old earlier and he stops speaking to me and starts belting out Mary had a little lamb.

Take lots of videos, it's crazy how quickly you forget each stage as every new stage brings new things to enjoy.

I genuinely find it hard to imagine what my son was like two years ago as how he is now basically takes over.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah there's a wonderful quality to watching the early rapid development unfold.

In the back of my mind I always had a part of me that was unhappy on their behalf that they couldn't communicate their ideas well and I had to figure it out, and relatedly looked forward to finding out what kind of person was building inside.

• Options
    Cross-posting from the D&D parenting thread:

My daughter was "bored" today and asked if she could make a game on the computer. I told her that she had to make a physical game first before trying to make a digital game. Having a degree in game design, I went and dug out my old college materials for her to give it a go!

1rpoqoxaa96z.jpg
    She started by creating a board to play on.

9khl5dbiovha.jpg
    This was her version 1.0. The game was basically Candyland where the players used colors to move along the stones.

6i5xfdil96wd.jpg
    I told her that she needed to make her game different from Candyland, so we added secret back-and-forth paths, a start and finish line, dice for movement, and special number spots that add to your next die roll.

veghijfn9ku8.jpg
    This is the final version. The finishing touches were adding a gem "finish line", changing the secret paths for clarity, and making the game go from start to finish and then back to the start. The players are entering the mountain to find the gems, then trying to escape.

Our playtest had us both at the entrance, so it was pretty close!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    13-14 months of age is just the worst time with my son. Can't talk yet so just cries or screams when he needs something and the fucking separation anxiety thing, man. Just screams if put down.

And just add in the absolutely no sleeping without being held and my wife continuing to breast feed it's all just Jesus Christ take the wheel over here

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    It's the school valentines disco tonight, I'd just like to relay a conversation from the dinner table:

William: The boys are only really going to the disco for the swinging.

Me:.......could you repeat that last word?

William: Swinging! We all get in a line and hold hands and spin round and round.

Me/Christine (noticeably relieved):Ahhhhh.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna complain in here too.

Flucoxacillin is disgusting.

Do not prescribe to a child. They will not take the medicine. There will be an entire day of screaming and crying and fighting and the medicine well still not get taken.

Really good and strong antibiotics will only help infections if you can get the antibiotics *into* the kid.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

Do not prescribe to a child. They will not take the medicine. There will be an entire day of screaming and crying and fighting and the medicine well still not get taken.

Really good and strong antibiotics will only help infections if you can get the antibiotics *into* the kid.

Just looked it up- apparently it isn't used in the US.
    I remember some antibiotic my kid had to take a couple of years ago. We had to hide it in pudding- enough pudding to dilute the taste, but not enough that they got full before they finished. It was not easy..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my sister is gonna have a baby!

I am pretty excited.

I'd be a bad dad, but I am gonna be a great uncle.

• Options

I remember some antibiotic my kid had to take a couple of years ago. We had to hide it in pudding- enough pudding to dilute the taste, but not enough that they got full before they finished. It was not easy..

There's one oral antibiotic that comes in liquid form for kids that's absolutely unpalatable. I don't know what it is, it's not good ol' bubblegum flavored amoxicillin, but man we were supposed to give it to our kids a few times and even smelling it gave me flashbacks to how awful it was, we could barely get them to take it and I had only the tiniest motivation to try. I know little kids can't deal with pills well but you'd think with all of the advances in medicine that they'd have come up with something better than disgusting liquid.

• Options

When I googled Flucoxacillin, one of the top results is in Australian article about what to use instead of it, one option of which is Cephalexin, which my 5 year old just had to finish a course of as he got an infection around his eye.

The cephalexin did not taste great, and smelled awful, but my dude took it a like a champ. Had to be done 4 times a day for a week, so we had to send a dose to school with him with a bottle of milk to wash it down with. I was amazed he managed to do it all himself.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Does anybody have a recommendation or suggestion for keeping the toddler’s hands/face clean while at the dinner table? He’s 14 months old, and just makes much more of a mess than his older sibling did.

Tissues: easy to access, fall apart, wasteful
    Paper towel: strong, not easy to access (unless we keep the whole frickin roll at the table) but feels wasteful
    Cloth square/former burp cloth: absorbent for liquids, not so much for pastes, and gets crap stuck in it to the point where I need to pre-wash it before throwing it in the laundry

What I really want is something equivalent to a diaper/butt wipe, but for faces. Just slightly moist to make cleaning easier, strong enough that I can wipe mush up without it turning to shreds in my hand, and (barring a miraculous reusable) cheap/disposable enough I don’t get guilty throwing a handful of them away every meal.

• Options
    Why can't you use baby wipes? Just because they're labelled as "diaper" doesn't mean you can't use them elsewhere?

We honestly just let her get dirty and then cleaned after with just a wet face cloth. Ironically enough the same cloths that we had originally bought to be reusable butt wipes.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    We more or less didn't/don't worry about wiping up our toddler until the meal is basically done. Then, it's either damp wash cloth or damp paper towel depending on how resilient of a wipe-up device we need. For extremely large/difficult messes, she gets chucked straight in the bath for a proper wash. We've also use regular diaper wipes in a pinch /shrug

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Yeah in our experience they call them diaper wipes but in a pinch those things will wipe up damn near anything and pretty much any skin could use a dose of soft and supple, not just the bum.

Edit: I should be clear, we had a bum pack and a "wipe everything else" pack, but once in a while (especially on the go) things get weird and that's how you build the kid's immune system, it's fine.

Peen on