As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    That… is actually awful. I’d have a tough time not starting some kind of confrontation over it, tbh. Either that or behave totally passive aggressively while I plan my revenge.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that would absolutely destroy my Ellie.

Just.

she'd just assume that it was her fault somehow and that the friends hated her now.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Thought maybe allergies were exacerbating her cough so I gave her some Benadryl that had a decongestant and I don't like how sleepy it makes her.

Yeah it's good that she has her coughing fit and is able to get right back to sleep to get rest but it worries me that she will sleep through other body cues

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Took Athena to her primary care yesterday. They did an X-ray and her lungs were clear, just slightly enlarged bronchials but they said it was consistent with her asthma. Gave her an antibiotic because the sound of the cough made her think it might be an infection and then she also has Athena taking a prescription allergy med + kids Zyrtec once a day.

Last night was the first time in a long time that I haven't woke up in the middle of the night to her coughing and rushed into her room to have the puke bucket ready.

She's coughing more today, but it's only day 2 of meds. We'll follow up in a couple weeks and go to an allergist since her asthma inhalers didn't really seem to be working as effectively as they expected.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    The child can now ride a bike without training wheels!

I attribute this to my perfect teaching skill, and also his love of the pedal-less balance bike he spent a lot of time with.

We’ve had the balance bike for a while but he wasn’t as interested in it. Probably half of last summer he was riding his training-wheeled regular bike, then one day a trainer broke off, and I got lazy/busy and never fixed/replaced it, so he gravitated towards the balance bike.

Now this summer I figured we’d just take the trainers off and boom, within a few days he was pedaling and balancing on his own.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Cant get my kid to touch his bike, so color me jealous.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I model bike riding all the time and my son mostly doesn't care about it, or really any other learned skill.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we had a bad bedtime last night.

I swear my 6 year old is already matching my cycles.

But one of the things she said in between being rude to me and the whole not sleeping thing was that she really just wants to have mommy and daughter talk time.

Which I'm fine with! Just not at 9pm a full hour past your bedtime!!

So what I think she and I agreed to is that on nights where she wants to have just quiet chats with mommy about things, she needs to tell me before bedtime and then we can go sit somewhere quiet and have a talk.

I want to be open with her and let her talk to me and I want her to know that she can talk to be about things. But bedtime is just not the right time.

So. Let's see how this strategy works out.

• Options
    Today Athena was mad at me so she did the thing where she just thinks of two negative words and combines them together to form an even worse word so she called me a 'Buttliar'

It was excruciating trying to keep a straight face while I slowly got her to admit to calling me a name.

When I was younger I did the same thing and called my younger brother a bonerback. Didn't know what a boner was, but I knew it wasn't a word I was supposed to be using.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yes yes yes. I went through that with my eldest. Some of the best conversations we've ever had are when she's trying to trick me into letting her stay up late. In fact she's still doing that. I can't say no because I really cherish it but... man! I can get really tired the next day.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley (4, girl) has been struggling with nightmares lately. She just woke up, again, crying for us.

So I went back in, tucked her back in, and asked if she had heard of the story of how little boys and girls protect themselves against nightmares and monsters.

I proceeded to just rip off maybe a half dozen video games, books, shows, and movies.

I explained to her that every little boy and girl has a spirit animal that protects them from monsters and nightmares. What animal that is depends on what's the first sound the little boy or girl made after they were born. Some have dogs or cats or birds, some even have frogs or crickets. She asked what was her spirit animal and I explained it was a wolf because the first sound she ever made was /wolf howl.

(The first stuffie we ever bought her was a Wolf from a wolf sanctuary we went to as a family when she was two. Since then, every holiday, at least one family member buys her another wolf. She has like, six in her wolf pack now).

I told her that she never has to be scared at night because her wolf is always looking out for her, which is why she has so many stuffed wolves.

Her eyes got super big and asked about her brother, Dallas. I said he had a big roar and so his animal is a bear (this may have been a huge mistake cause I don't think he has a stuffed bear). She asked what mine was, and I said it was a cat because my first sound was /meow.

Anyway, she promptly fell asleep and we will just ride this complete and utter creative theft for as long as we can.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ripley (4, girl) has been struggling with nightmares lately. She just woke up, again, crying for us.

So I went back in, tucked her back in, and asked if she had heard of the story of how little boys and girls protect themselves against nightmares and monsters.

I proceeded to just rip off maybe a half dozen video games, books, shows, and movies.

I explained to her that every little boy and girl has a spirit animal that protects them from monsters and nightmares. What animal that is depends on what's the first sound the little boy or girl made after they were born. Some have dogs or cats or birds, some even have frogs or crickets. She asked what was her spirit animal and I explained it was a wolf because the first sound she ever made was /wolf howl.

(The first stuffie we ever bought her was a Wolf from a wolf sanctuary we went to as a family when she was two. Since then, every holiday, at least one family member buys her another wolf. She has like, six in her wolf pack now).

I told her that she never has to be scared at night because her wolf is always looking out for her, which is why she has so many stuffed wolves.

Her eyes got super big and asked about her brother, Dallas. I said he had a big roar and so his animal is a bear (this may have been a huge mistake cause I don't think he has a stuffed bear). She asked what mine was, and I said it was a cat because my first sound was /meow.

Anyway, she promptly fell asleep and we will just ride this complete and utter creative theft for as long as we can.

Athena has a Sobble, Pikachu, and Eevee in her bed ready to kick the ass of anything that tries to get Athena in her sleep (it doesn't always work, though)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Parenting peeps, any of you got any soccer cleat recommendations for kids with wide feet? My six year old has some Nike's he's using for soccer and rugby that have lots of length left but are getting way too narrow.

I should have thought about it before I bought them, since both me and his mom have wide feet and can't wear Nike. I googled some recommendations but it seems like both the kids New Balance cleats and Zephz aren't available in Canada.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Parenting peeps, any of you got any soccer cleat recommendations for kids with wide feet? My six year old has some Nike's he's using for soccer and rugby that have lots of length left but are getting way too narrow.

I should have thought about it before I bought them, since both me and his mom have wide feet and can't wear Nike. I googled some recommendations but it seems like both the kids New Balance cleats and Zephz aren't available in Canada.

New Balance are usually the go-to brand for wider feet, yeah, but if you can't get those there are usually options among the other brands, but it depends on the boot style.

Adidas Copa's or AdiZero's maybe? I just put my 9yo in some Copa's that weren't too bad a couple weeks back, but Predators are usually too narrow for both him and I.

Asics, Puma, and Mizuno usually have a wider boot in their range that is decent.

Nike - stay away from the Mercury's in general but I think Vapors are available in a wide fit.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I wish I knew what arcane methods my son uses to decide if he'll sleep well.

Last night he was perfect but for the last week he's been awful despite nothing obvious changing...

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

New Balance are usually the go-to brand for wider feet, yeah, but if you can't get those there are usually options among the other brands, but it depends on the boot style.

Adidas Copa's or AdiZero's maybe? I just put my 9yo in some Copa's that weren't too bad a couple weeks back, but Predators are usually too narrow for both him and I.

Asics, Puma, and Mizuno usually have a wider boot in their range that is decent.

Nike - stay away from the Mercury's in general but I think Vapors are available in a wide fit.

Awesome thanks! I’ll try going to an actual soccer store too.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    This isn't revelatory or anything, but Bluey is goddamn amazing.

Dad is trying to explain something to Bluey and then asks if Bluey understood and Bluey goes, "Not really."

Dad just pats Blueys back and walks off saying, "Do your best!"

I laughed for maybe a minute. I've never felt so represented in a cartoon before.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So we had a big, disappointing backstep over the weekend.

My wife's family has a cabin in a gated community on a lake up in the BC mountains. No power, no cell service, right on the lake, it's pretty much my wife's favorite place. Bean has been asking to "go to Lake house" all winter, since it's snowed in from late fall to mid spring.

So it was a long weekend and the road was clear and we could finally go up, and Bean was excited and my wife was ready for some rest in the woods. It's a ~3 hour road trip, the last 30 minutes of which is up a very steep, curvy mountain dirt road. We've done this trip with Bean many times, and in fact when he was younger, the bounciness made it his favorite part of the drive.

This time, though, as soon as we got onto the dirt he covered his ears (a common ASD overstimulation thing) and shrank into his car seat. We were trying to point out how pretty it was whenever we'd pass a nice view or big tree, and at one point a young adult black bear ran out from the tree line and across the road. I was very excited because it's the closest I've gotten to a bear in the wild and I pointed and said "oh! Look, buddy! A bear!"

And he quietly said "No bear" but we didn't really think anything of it.

Then for the rest of the weekend he refused to go outside. Usually his favorite thing to do at the cabin is throw rocks into the lake. There's also a little sandy beach that he loves digging in. On the first morning he went with his mum and threw rocks for about five minutes then asked to go back inside, and after that we couldn't drag him more than 10 feet from the door. One of the nights we had a campfire in the firepit out front and introduced him to roasting marshmallows and cooking hotdogs over the fire which he loved, but he stuck to us like glue and after a while he asked to go inside again.

He wasn't just stuck with inertia like he often is, he was having fun inside playing with toys and coloring etc, but when we tried to go outside he would beg and plead and cry with fear. He would stand in the door and reach for us.

So we cut the trip short and come home a day early. On the drive down the dirt road he kept saying "No bear" and "No animals" and looking at us and saying "safe?". Then when we got back to the highway he was singing songs and laughing again. The next day he was scared to go to the playground. This morning he was too scared to go to preschool. It took so long and so much work to get him comfortable at preschool and a bear running past the car has undone a bunch of it. It's a big ASD thing to be afraid of anything new and unexpected, but he was doing so well and now it feels like he's not up for anything except just sitting in a living room playing with toys and watching tv.

It's so painful to see him so scared, and it's heartbreaking to know he doesn't trust us to keep him safe.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I wonder, has there been a scary bear in anything he's watched?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Why didn't anyone warn me that becoming a parent makes you afraid all the time? What am I going to do when they're old enough to go to school?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Why didn't anyone warn me that becoming a parent makes you afraid all the time? What am I going to do when they're old enough to go to school?

Look, I gotta be honest. The whole process of growing up is just finding more people for whom you can be afraid.

You teach your kids to … shit, I don’t know. Learn how to duck and cover and move away? How to be the one to tackle a fucker so their friends can get away? Apply first aid techniques and not freak the fuck out around injuries?

• Options
    I just want you all to know

I love all of you and all your kids.

Don't care if it's weird.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wonder, has there been a scary bear in anything he's watched?

We were wondering the same thing! And couldn't think of anything.

The only thing we could think of was right at the bottom of the dirt road there's a sign that warns against feeding bears. This sign specifically
    5gjac5zqer1b.jpg

the third frame is scary but I doubt he got that good a look at it?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I can’t imagine what American parents are going through right now. Like… how is ANYONE coping with this?

It’s terrifying. All of my American mates here actually said they decided to stay in Australia with their kids precisely because of this. Like, there were probably other reasons, but this specific reason carried a ton more weight than I would have expected. Of course, they were already here before their kids were born, but essentially they have no interest in returning while their kids are school age.

One of our news presenters here covered Sandy Hook and today she was like “I can’t actually get the words ‘worst school shooting since Sandy Hook’ out without feeling completely sick.” And yeah. She’s right. Never mind there shouldn’t have ever been another one after Columbine, or indeed one at all.

In the absence of any real, meaningful action to date, just know that parents all over the world are watching and are with you in what rough approximation of horror we can manage within our own contexts. We literally can’t even imagine what you’re all going through, because YOU are all being traumatized, too, even if your kids are safe and sound. We’re with you and I know we all wish we could do more than express solidarity.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    as an American parent living abroad, with a school age kid.

this was definitely one of my primary reasons for not putting my parents down as legal guardians for Ellie in our will. I can't imagine having that as a sword above my head, more than normal, that my child would have had to go through the trauma of us dying and then have the added trauma of having to grow up in the US school system.

I'm fully aware of exactly how very fucking fortunate I am to have that option, and my heart is so very broken for everybody else who doesn't.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I have expecting parents ask me about stuff because I'm a publicly dorky dad. No one ever believes me about the terror.
    Also, it never really goes away, you just get used to it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Kid and I went for a walk and she told me she saw a plane, looked up and thought it was a bit too quiet for a plane and was way too high (as it was too near the airport) so I checked my sky map to see if it was a satellite, there was one in that general area but it still didn’t feel right. Then it started to leave a big ol’ streak in the sky. Turns out my daughter spotted a meteor.
    e33opvquvw1j.jpeg
    g0nedd8n5e33.jpeg
    so5e4gnhkkdu.jpeg

I sent the photos to the local observatory who think they look pretty legit but are going to confirm with me tomorrow when they get all of tonight’s data.

• Options
    What did she wish for?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    as an American parent living abroad, with a school age kid.

this was definitely one of my primary reasons for not putting my parents down as legal guardians for Ellie in our will. I can't imagine having that as a sword above my head, more than normal, that my child would have had to go through the trauma of us dying and then have the added trauma of having to grow up in the US school system.

I'm fully aware of exactly how very fucking fortunate I am to have that option, and my heart is so very broken for everybody else who doesn't.

Good god I can't imagine having to even have to think about this kind of thing.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Anybody have an extra $80k laying around...

Private schools for neurodivergent kids don't offer scholarships or payment plans, because you eventually*(usually) get paid back by the doe (within ~2 years)
    Just been accepted into two highly rated programs, but may have to pass >< The system is awful.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    A huge chunk of the part of me considering homeschooling my kid rests on the fact that he doesn't actually understand how to react to strangers; at one point he wanted nothing to do with anyone, now he'd trust any random stranger to help him. He just . . . wouldn't even understand the concept that someone would want to hurt him, let alone kill him. I don't think he really understands death itself yet. He's 5, and it's not something that's come up.

I am not a huge fan of rolling the dice with my child's life, whatever that means for me personally.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My younger son, after almost 4 years, has finally ditched his daytime nap and is sleeping through the entire night. The long sleepless nightmare is over.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    A huge chunk of the part of me considering homeschooling my kid rests on the fact that he doesn't actually understand how to react to strangers; at one point he wanted nothing to do with anyone, now he'd trust any random stranger to help him. He just . . . wouldn't even understand the concept that someone would want to hurt him, let alone kill him. I don't think he really understands death itself yet. He's 5, and it's not something that's come up.

I am not a huge fan of rolling the dice with my child's life, whatever that means for me personally.

That's fair. I can't fathom being in a position where "minimising potential risk to my child's safety" is somewhere in the pro's column when deciding whether to homeschool or not. This shit is insane and I'm sorry all of ya'll need to deal with it.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Anybody have an extra $80k laying around...

Private schools for neurodivergent kids don't offer scholarships or payment plans, because you eventually*(usually) get paid back by the doe (within ~2 years)
    Just been accepted into two highly rated programs, but may have to pass >< The system is awful.

Just got the official contract. More like $90k... Guess we're not going to try for next year. He has a back-up plan with a charter school, so we have something. But I'm not sure how well it will actually go there..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Our nearly-6mo has been rolling onto her tummy fairly for a few weeks now. Hasn't quite figured out rolling back yet, and after a while on her tum she gets annoyed and we have to help her out. We were sort of dreading it but figured that it was just a matter of time until she started rolling over in her cot, then she'd be crying and waking us up in the night to roll her back, which would be new (she's incredible, hasn't needed us to go to her at night for months).

Anyway I had an absolute oh-shit-panic moment where I checked the baby monitor a couple of days ago and she was lying silently on her stomach. The fact that she wasn't crying had me thinking the worst, so I ran down the hallway and... she's happily snoozing away. So the first time she rolled onto her tummy in her cot she just didn't give a shit and went back to sleep. She did the same thing overnight at some point and again didn't need anything from us.

At this point I'm terrified of having another kid since I can't imagine us getting this lucky twice.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Getting my three year old son ready for a bath and a small wooden Y falls out of his pants.

He's been to nursery today.

Me: "Why is this in your pants?"
    Him: "Because I wanted it home"

Don't think he really understood why he couldn't steal stuff from nursery just because he likes it....

• Options
    edited June 2022
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Getting my three year old son ready for a bath and a small wooden Y falls out of his pants.

He's been to nursery today.

Me: "Y is this in your pants?"
    Him: "Yes."

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sure would be nice if I could do anything with Athena without her crying for her mom.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The swings of children that want one person and then someone else is devastating.

This morning Ripley wanted Dad for everything. Breakfast then we worked out together then lunch.

After lunch it's "Daddy I don't want you, go away.

Just what the hell?

• Options
    Yeah, I wish it was swings

3basnids3lf9.jpg