As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Being bulletproof and super strong is enough to defeat street criminals or even bank robbers, etc. You're immune to the weapons that make close combat prowess irrelevant and can defeat any regular Joe in close combat.

I think the problem is that the narrative cues keep implying that Starlight's powers are pretty strong, and not just in the last episode. They keep having her eyes glow when she's angry and that's supposed to be threatening, etc.

IMHO the writers and/or special effects guys just don't have a handle on how this light based power is supposed to work. It'd be nice if they could figure it out before the next big action scene but based on the last three seasons I'm not optimistic.

Starlight doing her take on the "world of cardboard" speech before fully letting loose and burning out Homelander's retinas? Yes, please.
    Starlight wrote:
    I know you all laugh at my little light shows. 'That Starlight," you say, 'not that tough, but boy can she put on a show.' Here's the thing, Big Guy: I have to hold back. It takes everything I have not to blind everyone within two blocks, whether they're inside or not. But we're alone here, John. Deep underground. So now we get to see just how bright my star can get. Maybe it will help if you close your eyes. Oh, forgot about that X-ray vision. Oh well!

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Being bulletproof and super strong is enough to defeat street criminals or even bank robbers, etc. You're immune to the weapons that make close combat prowess irrelevant and can defeat any regular Joe in close combat.

I think the problem is that the narrative cues keep implying that Starlight's powers are pretty strong, and not just in the last episode. They keep having her eyes glow when she's angry and that's supposed to be threatening, etc.

IMHO the writers and/or special effects guys just don't have a handle on how this light based power is supposed to work. It'd be nice if they could figure it out before the next big action scene but based on the last three seasons I'm not optimistic.

Starlight doing her take on the "world of cardboard" speech before fully letting loose and burning out Homelander's retinas? Yes, please.
    Starlight wrote:
    I know you all laugh at my little light shows. 'That Starlight," you say, 'not that tough, but boy can she put on a show.' Here's the thing, Big Guy: I have to hold back. It takes everything I have not to blind everyone within two blocks, whether they're inside or not. But we're alone here, John. Deep underground. So now we get to see just how bright my star can get. Maybe it will help if you close your eyes. Oh, forgot about that X-ray vision. Oh well!

minor niggle:
    we don't know if Starlight fires outside the visible light spectrum.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

Starlight wrote:

minor niggle:
    we don't know if Starlight fires outside the visible light spectrum.

... That could be bad. Internal organs dying level of bad.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So rewatching some episodes, Starlight's nosebleed after her confrontation with Victoria, do we think Victoria actually tried to do it but found some resistance?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So rewatching some episodes, Starlight's nosebleed after her confrontation with Victoria, do we think Victoria actually tried to do it but found some resistance?

yeah I think the implication was she was trying just to see.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If Homelander's eardrums can be punctured, I am guessing that his eyelids also have a limit on the intensity of light they can block before raw output can burn through.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

No. She was way too confident (and didn't want to kill Starlight anyway). She was showing Annie just how much power and control she has. "I could have just blown your head off, but I just burst a capillary in your nose."

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

I thought it was Victoria threatening Annie with a minor display of power to ensure Annie keeps the conversation they just had to herself.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

I thought it was Victoria threatening Annie with a minor display of power to ensure Annie keeps the conversation they just had to herself.

Yeah just giving her a taste so Annie would know how easy it was for Victoria to pop her head.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Starlight wrote:

"I know your powers, you have to draw them from surrounding electricity! You couldn't illuminate an LED this far down.
    "No, Homelander, I feed the excess power back into the grid around me. All those lights getting brighter and exploding? That doesn't happen when you pull electricity out of a system.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I took the Victoria thing as, when she does it to a supe, she has to have body contact. She hugged her friend first before she went after him and there was a delay when he felt it, he noticed the bleeding, giving him time to try and counter.

She can pop a normal head no problems, but she has to work to get a supe.

Although she did take out Homestar Runner I guess in S2, so I dunno.

That's what I read from "it would be hard, but not impossible", like maybe blowing up a supe hurts her more to use that power.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I took the Victoria thing as, when she does it to a supe, she has to have body contact. She hugged her friend first before she went after him and there was a delay when he felt it giving him time to try and counter.

That's what I read from "it would be hard, but not impossible", like maybe blowing up a supe hurts her more to use that power.

I'm in the very awkward position of knowing exactly who Homestar Runner is but not remembering what S2 character you're referring to.

But yeah, what you said. She has to work harder when the target is more resilient.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I took the Victoria thing as, when she does it to a supe, she has to have body contact. She hugged her friend first before she went after him and there was a delay when he felt it giving him time to try and counter.

I'm in the very awkward position of knowing exactly who Homestar Runner is but not remembering what S2 character you're referring to.

But yeah, what you said. She has to work harder when the target is more resilient.

The dude that A-Train beat in the race. Like Heatwave or some shit. I called him Homestar Runner. I think he was the only supe killed when she went after the congressional hearing.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

The dude that A-Train beat in the race. Like Heatwave or some shit. I called him Homestar Runner. I think he was the only supe killed when she went after the congressional hearing.

That dude had zero marmelade, I call foul.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

The lightswitch is for turning on...and OFF.

(off topic but I was just lamenting how even though they ported it all to youtube, because Flash is dead, there's no way to relive the glory days with the clickable stuff and easter eggs without an air gap or a VM. I keep one for old game projects and I might buy the HR dvd they came out with years ago that had like the first 200 e-mails and all the games and stuff)

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

The lightswitch is for turning on...and OFF.

(off topic but I was just lamenting how even though they ported it all to youtube, because Flash is dead, there's no way to relive the glory days with the clickable stuff and easter eggs without an air gap or a VM. I keep one for old game projects and I might buy the HR dvd they came out with years ago that had like the first 200 e-mails and all the games and stuff)

There's a huge swath of MSPA that's probably perma-fucked as well. Goddammit.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvh2nlqpTYw

I love this show's castings.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    He's right, though
    Frogs are really cool

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You really gotta wonder how Chace Crawford is that good at playing a clueless, spinelessly fragile narcissist.

Not much chance of any award-level recognition for it, but it's a great irony that he's nailing a character who is so totally empty.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    You really gotta wonder how Chace Crawford is that good at playing a clueless, spinelessly fragile narcissist.

Not much chance of any award-level recognition for it, but it's a great irony that he's nailing a character who is so totally empty.

Since Comic Deep has almost nothing in common with TV Deep, I'd love to get to interview Kripke to see what he based the character off of.

• Options

Since Comic Deep has almost nothing in common with TV Deep, I'd love to get to interview Kripke to see what he based the character off of.

We all know its Jared Padelecki like 100%

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Probably. Poor Moose.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Probably. Poor Moose.

There's some episode of Supernatural that starts by showing each brother getting ready for the day. Like, at this point, I think they've been both to Hell and back and Sam might straight up be a demon.

Anyway, Dean crawls out of the Impala and eats some snacks and looks rough as hell and Sam is doing pullups shirtless and I was like holy shit that dude really is huge, for the first time.

The whole bit still makes me laugh.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    My favorite bit was when Dean called Crowly and the caller ID said "Not Moose"

Like it wasn't Moose and Squirrel, it was Moose and Not Moose.

Fucking Brilliant and IIRC a Kripke episode.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The Boys has spawned some great meme formats.

• Options
    I'm glad Kripke has found a decent voice and put out at least two decent shows. He seems like a fun show producer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Have they said much about Season 4 timing? I really hope it's not another 2 year wait.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Probably will be since they have that This Ain't your Dad's Xmen spin off coming, which gives them some time to do the next season.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Probably will be since they have that This Ain't your Dad's Xmen spin off coming, which gives them some time to do the next season.

Wait they're doing G-Men as a side bit?

• Options

Wait they're doing G-Men as a side bit?

Its some kind of boys spin off at an academy for the gifted.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Y’all are gonna make me watch SN again…. Come to think of it I never actually finished it (watched up to the last .5 season when covid broke everything)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

He deserves some recognition for the scene in season 1 when he's shitfaced, trying to get that dolphin to freedom and you can tell by his side of the convo that they've fucked...a lot.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

He deserves some recognition for the scene in season 1 when he's shitfaced, trying to get that dolphin to freedom and you can tell by his side of the convo that they've fucked...a lot.

His charisma, as well as just the continued TERRIBLE freaking things that happen to him is part of why it's hard not to want to see his character redeemed.

One question, more just it caught me questioning my memory. I thought in the opening episodes with him he propositioned Starlight but she didn't do it, but comments made in the current season seem to imply he did?

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

His charisma, as well as just the continued TERRIBLE freaking things that happen to him is part of why it's hard not to want to see his character redeemed.

One question, more just it caught me questioning my memory. I thought in the opening episodes with him he propositioned Starlight but she didn't do it, but comments made in the current season seem to imply he did?

Iirc they cut from him dropping trou to her puking in the bathroom. Plus her convo there with Maeve made it pretty clear she did.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022

No, in the first episode he did force her to do oral and then afterwards she's throwing up in the ladies bathroom and Maeve tells her to not let anyone see her that vulnerable and get over it...and then Maeve calls out Translucent for being a perv and hanging out in the ladies room invisible and buck ass naked and threatens to kick his ass.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

No, in the first episode he did force her to do oral and then afterwards she's throwing up in the ladies bathroom and Maeve tells her to not let anyone see her that vulnerable and get over it...and then Maeve calls out Translucent for being a perv and hanging out in the ladies room invisible and buck ass naked and threatens to kick his ass.

I remember those parts, for some reason I just had it in my head she told him to pound sand and was throwing up do disgust/etc. Weird.

• Options
    At least the show it was just forced oral, if I remember right from the comic it was basically gang rape from the seven to starlight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    At least the show it was just forced oral, if I remember right from the comic it was basically gang rape from the seven to starlight.

Pretty much anything involving her is way fucking grosser in the comics. As I recall, she existed just to be raped originally. Then he thought it would be nice for Huey to have a girlfriend so she got to fill that role. I am always happiest when this show puts some distance between itself and the source material.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

On a side note to this… during his TV appearance Jimmy Fallon mentions that he’d saved a single mom from a home invasion or something that week.

Meaning he’d been hanging out naked and invisible in that person’s apartment.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    p0somiydrt0t.jpg

Fuck I love their bullshit.

Thawmus on