As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I would love for Night Trap to get that treatment.

nt11.gif

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    After throwing sega under the bus for it, I don't think nintendo would ever touch I night tap.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I need to take the opportunity to highlight how incredible Langrisser's OST is, and if you play the remake with anything other than the original Noriyuki Iwadare versions, you're committing a grievous sin against humanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJ1C_Ka0io
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqsb0qZp4c

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    After throwing sega under the bus for it, I don't think nintendo would ever touch I night tap.

You sure? :P

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/night-trap-25th-anniversary-edition-switch/

Oh my god, it's only $3!?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    H0b0man wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Bowser's Fury looks great! It looks like Odyssey except with platforming (which was my main complaint about Odyssey)

But Odyssey had platforming? Really good platforming.

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/night-trap-25th-anniversary-edition-switch/

I am so tempted to just buy it with my spare gold coins.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I am so tempted to just buy it with my spare gold coins.

You won't be disappointed. Either as a game or as sheer masterclass in camp, it's a great time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gotta be honest, kind of like the old ones more

They're uniquely awful

If anyone hasn't seen it, there was an all cutscenes run for AGDQ last week.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The Bowser's Fury trailer strongly suggests that its just one big world, maybe oddessy-sized at most. They start by giving us an overview of the watery landscape, followed by every single platforming bit being in the same setting. There are times when mario moves around the huge ocean, well outside any kind of 3d-world linear level structure, while panning the camera freely. We also see him grabbing collectibles and doing the oddessey grabbed-a-moon pose. Evil bowser shows up on the very same map, you dodge him from a distance for a while until you grab the super power-up. I don't see the game going much further after you have that kind of epic showdown, again it seems to amount to an oddessy world.

Note that by advertising bowser jr. as a co-op feature, it strongly implies that this does not support the standard 4-player co-op of 3d world. Which would jive with this being structured more like oddessey with player camera control and a zoomed-in view. (and bowser jr. being able to fly and likely teleport, and not worry about platforming)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The Japanese name for "Bowser's Fury" is "Fury World", so it seems likely to me it's all one big area.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Matt pulled this completely out of his ass (the press release bit). I need you all to laugh along with me anytime someone mentions this so called translation.

I've heard it said the reason there hasn't been a new Mario Strikers in a while is because Next Level Games made the Mario crew a bit too edgy for Nintendo's tastes.

Starting to doubt that rumour now.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Unless Bowser does a crotch chop I don’t think it’s hitting strikers levels.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Pillars of Eternity on Switch just received a HUGE update, supposedly fixing all bugs and bringing it up to the quality level of the PC release.

https://versusevil.com/news/poe1-patch-live/

The game is now 29 gigs which is bigger than it is on PC (23). It launched at 15.8. It seems like a significant rebuild of the game.

I haven't played it on Switch, only on PC, and I loved the game there. I'm not necessarily recommending it on Switch, and it's yet to be seen if this really fixes everything without introducing new bugs. I just wanted to share what sounds like the devs really doing right by their audience and clearing up all the issues that people thought might never be solved. Too many games go abandoned with major unresolved problems so it's nice when a developer actually tries to follow through.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The title structure reminds me of the Mario and Luigi remakes that had Bowser's Minions and Bowser Jr.'s Journey tacked on. Those were much more like bonus features than extensions of the base game. I'd caution everyone that if you're going to buy this game, do it to play 3D World (again), not for Bowser's Fury. Otherwise you're likely to feel badly cheated.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I will not buy the new Switch sku just to have a red one. I'm gonna end up buying the new Switch sku just to have a red one DAMMIT.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nintendo released some additional information on 3D World/Bowser's Fury. Main takeaways:

It looks to definitely be open-world, but it's a single area based on islands on a lake.
    A second player can take control of Bowser Jr.
    Every so often Bowser will get pissed and start fucking up everything. Apparently he causes the terrain to change, and you'll have to scramble to avoid his attacks. Eventually he'll calm down and go away, which resets the world to normal.

The Bowser's Fury stuff starts at about 4:00, but they made some tweaks to 3D World too. (Mainly online and a snapshot mode.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    The title structure reminds me of the Mario and Luigi remakes that had Bowser's Minions and Bowser Jr.'s Journey tacked on. Those were much more like bonus features than extensions of the base game. I'd caution everyone that if you're going to buy this game, do it to play 3D World (again), not for Bowser's Fury. Otherwise you're likely to feel badly cheated.

Mario Odyssey had 17 kingdoms, but only about a dozen were really significant. I feel like the equivalent of one new kingdom could last at least a couple hours.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Pillars of Eternity on Switch just received a HUGE update, supposedly fixing all bugs and bringing it up to the quality level of the PC release.

The game is now 29 gigs which is bigger than it is on PC (23). It launched at 15.8. It seems like a significant rebuild of the game.

I haven't played it on Switch, only on PC, and I loved the game there. I'm not necessarily recommending it on Switch, and it's yet to be seen if this really fixes everything without introducing new bugs. I just wanted to share what sounds like the devs really doing right by their audience and clearing up all the issues that people thought might never be solved. Too many games go abandoned with major unresolved problems so it's nice when a developer actually tries to follow through.

That's cool as hell.

But also, 29 GBs sounds like way too much for me to put on the Switch? It's silly - I have the space for it, but seeing a number that large is an immediate turn off.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The photo mode is a good idea. I mean, photo modes are good and apparently easy just in general. But also, it's a good way to make the Miiverse Stamps not useless anymore.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So Lake Lapcat is a kingdom and you are collecting Cat Shines with 3D World style platforming and powerups.. It looks like some kind of blend of 3D World, Odyssey, and... Mario Sunshine?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally finished Xenoblade 1 after dropping it two other times on the Wii and N3DS, so I started putting some overdue time into Atelier Lulua next. I wasn't super interested in it conceptually but I wanted to see where they took the story.

Sterk my man, you look like hell.

What's the deal with this art direction where the face models are less detailed than the bodies? You have these ultra-detailed bodies but their faces are borderline untextured, it's so jarring.

Also Gust is chickenshit. I know it's considered bad form to anger the Otakus by messing with their precious waifus but like (story)
    It's been 20 years since Rorona and literally every single character in the Rorona universe is still single? Every single one?

They couldn't even step up to Lulua or Aurel being legitimate children and made Lulua adopted and Aurel Gio's nephew. Fucking cowards.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

That's cool as hell.

But also, 29 GBs sounds like way too much for me to put on the Switch? It's silly - I have the space for it, but seeing a number that large is an immediate turn off.

As I understand, patches do not wipe out the base release data, even if the patch is used and the base is mostly ignored. So if your patch basically includes the entire game, now you have it there twice.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You have to read the full text, they brought out the folding chair to hit Nintendo with on this one.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Btw they just added two more missions, finding stickers on the Mario 3D Land website and scanning a QR code on your Nintendo Switch news feed. Should help out anyone who was stuck before.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

You have to read the full text, they brought out the folding chair to hit Nintendo with on this one.

Like, just start with ports of 64 and Assault and then go from there.

Assault was a good time, and I'm including the on-foot sections without reservation. Just like, improve on that, and make sure there's enough on-rails sections to keep the classic gameplay strong.

...and I just realized I'm describing Kid Icarus Uprising. That was a very good Star Fox game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Uprising had very strong writing, but also yes just lots of gameplay time. The weapon differences added some useful depth.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Starfox could be a surprisingly good Battlegrounds type game. Start off with vehicle combat and when your vehicle gets destroyed you transition to on-foot battling. Although that would require Nintendo actually putting in effort to have good netcode and haha, yeah...

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Damn, I actually don’t hate the idea of Star Fox Maker at all 🙁

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    Starfox could be a surprisingly good Battlegrounds type game. Start off with vehicle combat and when your vehicle gets destroyed you transition to on-foot battling. Although that would require Nintendo actually putting in effort to have good netcode and haha, yeah...

Assault had this sort of thing in its multiplayer. The Sauria map (and maybe also Fortuna? I don't think Fichina did this) in particular had Arwings and Landmasters available to fly around the map, but also had the option for on-foot combat. You also have the ability to bail from your Arwing at any time, or to jump out and stand on top of it.

I don't know if it was ever a good idea, but I had a lot of fun goofing around by shooting at people on the ground, and then jumping out and onto the Arwing when they started hitting it, and then finally jumping off as the whole thing crashed to the ground.

An expanded, online version of Assault's multiplayer would be really neat.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Assault was a good time, and I'm including the on-foot sections without reservation. Just like, improve on that, and make sure there's enough on-rails sections to keep the classic gameplay strong.

...and I just realized I'm describing Kid Icarus Uprising. That was a very good Star Fox game.

Was there ever a good star fox game?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Was there ever a good star fox game?

SNES, 64.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The DS one had laughable art and storylines but the game was fun.

I don't know if I would call it great, but its biggest fault was failing to make a splash among the deluge of DS and Wii games at the time so usually goes forgotten.

Star Fox Adventures was also fun for what it was, but wasn't a Star Fox game.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i liked the DS one

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I would say that I think all the Star Foxes are at least good. Assault and 64 are my favorites. I'm mixed on Zero due to it being Another Andross Reboot.

Adventures... Adventures would have been better off as not a Star Fox game. It feels like every Star Fox element clashes with the original game instead of enhancing it. The Arwing stuff was pretty bare-bones and done better in Assault. And don't even get me started on what Star Fox did to that game's final boss.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I would say that I think all the Star Foxes are at least good. Assault and 64 are my favorites. I'm mixed on Zero due to it being Another Andross Reboot.

Adventures... Adventures would have been better off as not a Star Fox game. It feels like every Star Fox element clashes with the original game instead of enhancing it. The Arwing stuff was pretty bare-bones and done better in Assault. And don't even get me started on what Star Fox did to that game's final boss.

To be fair to Adventures it started life as a completely unrelated game for N64, Dinosaur Planet.

I have the Wii U game but I'm not sure where it falls (port, remake, etc) because I've never played it. Honestly I haven't played a real Star Fox since 64.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I do not speak French and I have not google translated to verify, but I saw this posted as a translation of a line from the French Bowser's Fury site:

https://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Nintendo-Switch/Super-Mario-3D-World-Bowser-s-Fury-1832228.html#Bowser_s_Fury

"Once Mario defeats Bowser with the Giga Bell, Bowser will go to sleep again and Mario will unlock new Islands to explore. But Bowser will always come back."

So it sounds like the world will grow as you play!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Star Fox Zero was heartbreakingly almost good, but the mechanics made it way too grindy (especially at the end).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Btw they just added two more missions, finding stickers on the Mario 3D Land website and scanning a QR code on your Nintendo Switch news feed. Should help out anyone who was stuck before.

Once I get credit for playing Mario35 and purchasing the game, I'll be at 14 missions completed. I NEED ONE MORE! Fucked if I can find a Stone Cold Creamery though, I'll just hope they add another one.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

To be fair to Adventures it started life as a completely unrelated game for N64, Dinosaur Planet.

I have the Wii U game but I'm not sure where it falls (port, remake, etc) because I've never played it. Honestly I haven't played a real Star Fox since 64.

Yeah. I think it might have had a better time as that unrelated game, mostly because the Star Fox stuff doesn't work so well with the rest of it.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Star Fox Zero was heartbreakingly almost good, but the mechanics made it way too grindy (especially at the end).

By grindy, you mean repeating early stuff to see different story branches? Becsause that was kinda how things went with Star Fox 64, as well.

Man, wouldn't it be cool to have had a Star Fox 64 arcade cabinet?

I do not speak French and I have not google translated to verify, but I saw this posted as a translation of a line from the French Bowser's Fury site:

https://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Nintendo-Switch/Super-Mario-3D-World-Bowser-s-Fury-1832228.html#Bowser_s_Fury

"Once Mario defeats Bowser with the Giga Bell, Bowser will go to sleep again and Mario will unlock new Islands to explore. But Bowser will always come back."

So it sounds like the world will grow as you play!

Oh! That's really neat! I do hope there's a lot of places to explore. And this would mean they haven't shown the literal end of the game in the trailers.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Star Fox is not difficult to get right. 64 was the SNES original but bigger, faster, more dynamic. Just keep doing that. Sadly, Nintendo for some reason insists on doing anything but.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg