Growing an art Instagram page...

m.brooks42m.brooks42 Registered User regular
I draw reasonably well but I get very little engagement on IG. I see other pages that get way more and I don’t understand why. Am I cursed? Anyone have any tips?

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    As somebody who also has an Instagram and is an artist I am going to give you the absolute best advice that I can:

Do not give a shit about instagram.

If your goal is to become a working artist instagram is probably not the best way to go about it. It is a very saturated market. You gotta know the times, you gotta know the hashtags, you gotta stay on top of it like woah and honestly I do not think its worth it. I've seen "viral" artists talking about how they got zero jobs from going viral and instead, mostly had a bunch of people asking them to draw stuff for free.

I'm not anything close to a big artist and I only get work once in a blue moon but most of that work has come from in person networking. The few followers I have on Instagram are people I know personally and interact/have interacted with or people within that circle.

To be clear, I'm not saying DON'T use instagram or social media, but I am saying don't let it be your absolute focus. I see a lot of artists sort of try and work backwards, thinking they can develop a following and then get work, when I've found it to be more the opposite. You get work and then from that develop the following. Instagram, Twitter, whatever, should kind of be a passive thing you can use to promote your work on the side.

You can also actually pay to promote your work on instagram and I've heard that is a good move from time to time. If you really want to get more eyes on your stuff thats probably the easiest way to do it.

tynic
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Also, sorry for the late reply. The Artist's Corner doesn't have the traffic it used to, unfortunately.