[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

18081838586100

Posts

  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    You couldn't pay me to feel bad for Rudy. Or anyone else involved in this administration.

    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Ringodestroyah87BigJoeMOrcadurandal4532ButtersFencingsaxMegaMan001Shadowhopevalhalla130AistanEmerlmaster999TynnanMagellNetscapeJaysonFourJazzElvenshaeAtomikaMild ConfusionCantideStabbity StyleJohnny ChopsockyGiantGeek2020RaijuNo-QuarterboogedybooBandableKanaNobeardjoshofalltradesShadowfireMan in the MistsHacksawZonugalOneAngryPossumFoolOnTheHillLabelDark Raven XSorceAbsoluteZeroSkeithLord_AsmodeusAlexandierjdarksunLeeksKristmas KthulhuHavelock2.0kimeKoopahTroopahemp123mjn6172Donovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    Next level of triggering red county enacted. Four cameras locked on to this bad boy, come at me.
    odrk1x2kmtk6.jpeg

    Blackhawk1313 on
    Commander ZoomRingoRickRudeAimXaquinTicaldfjamdurandal4532ButtersFencingsaxGennenalyse Ruebenjmcdonaldvalhalla130AegisEtheaMillmonikerCalicaQuidCelestialBadgerTofystedethTynnanMartini_PhilosopherBlackDragon480PreacherSleepMvrckArdolJaysonFourZeroCowAegeriJazzElvenshaeGONG-00Mild ConfusionbwanieToxCantideStabbity StyleMancingtomGiantGeek2020DecatusForarChanusBurnageRaijuNo-QuarterboogedybooOremLKpainfulPleasanceCantidoNobeardknitdanelectricitylikesmejoshofalltradesShadowfireMan in the MistsHacksawA Kobold's Koboldspool32SelnerFoolOnTheHillLabelDark Raven XSorceAbsoluteZeroSkeithDrCongoLord_AsmodeusEinzelDoctorArchAlexandierjdarksunGnome-InterruptusLeeksKristmas KthulhuHavelock2.0kimeKoopahTroopahThegreatcowDrezemp123Fleur de Alysmjn6172never die38thDoeDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Giuliani called into The Daily Beast and went on what appears to be a truly magnificent hour long "interview". He says there's really only a 50/50 chance that the guy he's been working with is a Russian Spy. That Soros is behind everything. . And that he plans to continually drip info up until the election.


    Beyond the usual insanity, the pop out for me was that Trump and numerous GOP members, including Ron Johnson and Jim Jordan, were briefed thoroughly on the laptop, including being given files. All well before the release.


    Rudy is a fucking idiot and the media should just ignore him. I'm seriously worried for him, he doesn't seem well when I hear him

    Trump considers him a trusted ally and he keeps making a spectacle of himself so yeah: keep the cameras on him so he can continue to be the equivelant of thermite plasma on trump's administration.

    I understand him talking is good for the left. Dude puts his feet in his own mouth then shoves his face up his ass. But I kind of feel bad for him. If I was one of his grandkids I'd have an intervention with him.

    If this was a case of grandpa's dementia being an embarassing family secret that would be one thing, but this is the president's personal lawyer spreading conspiracy theories and being played like a fiddle by russian intelligence.

    Fuck him.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
    MorganVdestroyah87RingoA Dabble Of TheloniusJragghenzagdrobOrcaTicaldfjamButtersFencingsaxGennenalyse RuebenjmcdonaldCommander Zoomvalhalla130AistanmonikerEmerlmaster999QuidTofystedethBlackDragon480ArdolJaysonFourAegeriJazzElvenshaeMild ConfusionCantideStabbity StyleRaijuNo-QuarterCantidoNobeardShadowfireMan in the MistsHacksawA Kobold's KoboldLabelSorceAbsoluteZeroSkeithLord_AsmodeusjdarksunLeeksKristmas Kthulhuemp123iTunesIsEvilFleur de Alysmjn6172Donovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 17

    Next level of triggering red county enacted. Four cameras locked on to this bad boy, come at me.
    odrk1x2kmtk6.jpeg

    Is this a response to previous hooligans or just an expectation of forthcoming hooligans?

    Taramoor on
    nUzGRMY.gif
    twitch.tv/Taramoor
    @TaramoorPlays
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I’m legit worried that putting a Biden sign in my yard would be seen as an invitation for violence. Same for bumper stickers.

    "I see everything twice!"


    valhalla130Kayne Red RobeMarty81DisruptedCapitalistChiselphanesilence1186Stabbity StyleDecatusRickRudeNo-QuarterBandablejoshofalltradesbrynhrtmnA Kobold's KoboldLabelDark Raven XSorceAbsoluteZeroadejaanRhesus PositiveLord_AsmodeusDouglasDangerThegreatcowmjn6172Bullhead
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    What are the cameras going to do? It isn't like the cops will help if it gets stolen.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


    valhalla130Emerlmaster999Kristmas Kthulhu
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    True it might be an invitation but you should do it anyways.

    no no no no noo no no no no no
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 17
    I’m legit worried that putting a Biden sign in my yard would be seen as an invitation for violence. Same for bumper stickers.

    That's where I am. I live in a rural area surrounded by Trump signs. I'd love to throw a bunch of signs on my property, but I feel like Trump supporters are largely violent and armed and white and my family is... not any of those things.

    I don't think it's worth the risk and especially with the recent revelations of the police supporting those same violent terrorists, even if I had camera footage of any problems the likelihood of them doing anything is low?

    MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    yossarian_livesvalhalla130MayabirdTicaldfjammonikerJaysonFourbwanieForarRaijuRickRudeNo-QuarterjoshofalltradesShadowfirebrynhrtmnFoolOnTheHillAbsoluteZeroLord_AsmodeusKristmas Kthulhumjn6172Bullhead
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

    Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

    I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

    I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

    Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

    I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

    I know folks are gonna disagree with me because everything always has to be as bad as possible, but I think public polling supports my argument. When trump says something blatantly racist, his numbers go down. Eventually they tend to recover, because average voters have at best a 1 month memory, but the fact that trump gets penalized for his blatant racism is pretty well supported.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    MrMistermonikershrykeArdolFencingsaxNobeard
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    IDK. LGBT people have been putting flags up in unsafe rural areas for years.

    no no no no noo no no no no no
    PreacherSleepFencingsaxMan in the Mistsspool32jdarksunHavelock2.0KoopahTroopahDouglasDangerMoridin889mjn6172Donovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

    Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

    I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

    I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

    Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

    I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

    I know folks are gonna disagree with me because everything always has to be as bad as possible, but I think public polling supports my argument. When trump says something blatantly racist, his numbers go down. Eventually they tend to recover, because average voters have at best a 1 month memory, but the fact that trump gets penalized for his blatant racism is pretty well supported.
    Public polling certainly supports your argument. It isn't even just him saying something racist. Any time the public (NOT his frothy base, normal people only here) are exposed to Trump, they want to see and hear less of him and disapprove of him more. This is why it is good to let Trump speak endlessly at debates and at town halls and at interviews that aren't on Fox.

    no no no no noo no no no no no
    MrMistermonikerArdolFencingsaxGiantGeek2020No-QuarterElldren
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

    I did a democracy!

    For the mayor of Halifax, and for my municipal councilor. Which is slightly less exciting than voting for the forces of "Eh, mostly good, I guess?" vs. "Screaming Voidstorm of Hate," but that's life in 2020. I ended up voting for the incumbent mayor, because he's generally not terrible, and his biggest threat on the ballet is a terrible human being. But I am pleased to vote for my local candidate, Iona Stoddard. She's one of very few women of color running in any district in the election, she supports LGBTQ+ causes, she's labor friendly, and FWIW she's the only candidate who actually came door to door and met me. From what I've seen of her so far, she seems great, and I kinda hope that she moves to provincial or federal politics.

    It’s important to remember the true meaning of Christmas: ghosts terrorizing rich people in the middle of the night to make them pay their employees more.
    JragghenXaquinRingoArdolZeroCowFencingsaxElvenshaeForarboogedyboovalhalla130ShadowfireMan in the MistsHacksawbrynhrtmnA Kobold's KoboldLabelAbsoluteZeroRhesus PositiveLord_AsmodeusjdarksunKristmas KthulhukimeKoopahTroopahemp123mjn6172never die38thDoe
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    True it might be an invitation but you should do it anyways.
    Maybe if I didn’t have kids to worry about. I already voted so that’ll have to be enough.

    "I see everything twice!"


    XaquinMegaMan001ButtersRickRudejoshofalltrades
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    steam_sig.png
    JragghenCalicamonikerRingoFencingsaxElvenshaeMild ConfusionGiantGeek2020RaijuMan in the MistsA Kobold's KoboldLord_Asmodeusjdarksunemp123mjn6172Elldren
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    IDK. LGBT people have been putting flags up in unsafe rural areas for years.

    They've also been getting murdered in unsafe rural areas for longer than that.

    Ticaldfjamyossarian_livesAistanCalicaCommander ZoommonikerEmerlmaster999BlackDragon480ShadowhopezagdrobMvrckSleepRingoFencingsaxAegeriJazzElvenshaeAtomikaButtersToxGiantGeek2020RozTetraNitroCubanetuxkamenRaijuRickRudeNo-Quartervalhalla130BandablepainfulPleasanceCantidoSoggybiscuitelectricitylikesmejoshofalltradesShadowfireDocHacksawbrynhrtmnMeeqeA Kobold's KoboldFoolOnTheHillLabelDark Raven XSorceAbsoluteZeroSkeithMorganVRhesus PositiveMr FuzzbuttLord_AsmodeusEinzeljdarksunLeeksKristmas KthulhuHavelock2.0Mathew BurrackkimeKoopahTroopahDouglasDangeremp123Fleur de Alysmjn6172never dieBullhead38thDoeDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump campaigning on locking up Whitmer now. A week after the plot to kidnap and execute her was broken up. Cool!

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    rahkeesh2000JragghenCommander ZoommonikershrykeMarathonBlackDragon480MagellzagdrobSleepMazzyxNetscapeArdolRingoJaysonFourFencingsaxAegeriJazzTicaldfjamElvenshaeButtersToxCantideJohnny ChopsockyRozRaijuRickRudeNo-QuarterKayne Red Robevalhalla130NobeardjoshofalltradesShadowfireMan in the Mistsbrynhrtmnspool32A Kobold's KoboldCaptain InertiaFoolOnTheHillLabelAbsoluteZeroMorganVLord_AsmodeusjdarksunGnome-InterruptusKristmas KthulhuKoopahTroopahDouglasDangerMoridin889emp123iTunesIsEvilFleur de Alysmjn6172never die38thDoeDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Next level of triggering red county enacted. Four cameras locked on to this bad boy, come at me.
    odrk1x2kmtk6.jpeg

    Is this a response to previous hooligans or just an expectation of forthcoming hooligans?

    Bit of both but I refuse to be intimidated and as a white well off man I am about as privileged as it gets, it I can’t even have the courage to do the bare minimum in my position then what even am I as a person? As for the cameras the town is small enough and I have enough connections to not only track down someone, but make their life very miserable if I so choose, from the court system to church, to city council. Basically, I’m their worst nightmare, privileged in the ways they are but instead of using all the fuckery tools they use on the less privileged, I will absolutely use their own tactics against them.

    Blackhawk1313 on
    jmcdonaldMvrckMazzyxRingoZeroCowVladimerJazzElvenshaeAimMild ConfusionbwanieGiantGeek2020FencingsaxForarRaijuboogedyboovalhalla130NobeardA Kobold's KoboldLabelAbsoluteZeroSkeithMorganVRhesus PositiveDrCongoAlexandierGnome-InterruptusLeeksDavid WalgaskimeMoridin889emp123Fleur de AlysDamnItCohaagenmjn6172never die38thDoeFawstDonovan PuppyfuckerElldrenmiscellaneousinsanity
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    ElvenshaeFencingsaxvalhalla130Man in the Mistsspool32Gnome-InterruptusElldren
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    Kana wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

    Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

    I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

    I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

    Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

    I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

    I know folks are gonna disagree with me because everything always has to be as bad as possible, but I think public polling supports my argument. When trump says something blatantly racist, his numbers go down. Eventually they tend to recover, because average voters have at best a 1 month memory, but the fact that trump gets penalized for his blatant racism is pretty well supported.

    Yeah, a lot of white people are okay with or actively supportive of polite racism. Even when it is substantively worse than saying the n***** word. But impolite racism is a bridge too far. It's why Steve King won't be rejoining Congress next year, but his replacement is likely to be even worse for black people.

    Similar to the reason why wearing a suit makes nazis worthy of glowing news stories. He's wearing a tie so he clearly has opinions that merit open debate compared to that PhD black activist. I mean, they're wearing jeans.

    moniker on
    Phoenix-DNetscapeGnome-Interruptusemp123mjn6172Elldren
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    ShadowhopeNetscapeRingoElvenshaeDark_SideMild ConfusionRaijupainfulPleasanceMan in the MistsGnome-Interruptusmjn6172Elldren
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

    Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

    I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

    I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

    Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

    I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

    I know folks are gonna disagree with me because everything always has to be as bad as possible, but I think public polling supports my argument. When trump says something blatantly racist, his numbers go down. Eventually they tend to recover, because average voters have at best a 1 month memory, but the fact that trump gets penalized for his blatant racism is pretty well supported.
    Public polling certainly supports your argument. It isn't even just him saying something racist. Any time the public (NOT his frothy base, normal people only here) are exposed to Trump, they want to see and hear less of him and disapprove of him more. This is why it is good to let Trump speak endlessly at debates and at town halls and at interviews that aren't on Fox.

    The other side though is that every time Trump makes overtures of reaching across the aisle, like when it came out he was trying to get a deal with Pelosi on gun control or immigration, his numbers also drop. He's poisoned the well so much that doing things people actually want drives away the crazy people without being able to make up the difference in the soft opposition, because he's ensured that there is very little or no soft opposition. The smart political thing to have done a year or two ago would have been to tack to the center, but it would have to be sustained enough to be credible. His crazies aren't going to abandon him, even if they disapprove of him out transiently out of pure pissiness.

  • RingoRingo HE KEEPS REPEATING THE LINE I'M GONNA CRY BLEASE LET HIM LIVE YOU MADE ME WATCH SO MUCH KISSING IN THIS FILM LET INIGO LIVERegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    My niece just married into a family like that from El Paso. They hate Beto and the new husband likes to chant Build the Wall to "make white people cry". It's very discouraging

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    My niece just married into a family like that from El Paso. They hate Beto and the new husband likes to chant Build the Wall to "make white people cry". It's very discouraging

    It is not an uncommon thing for people who immigrated successfully to develop a mentality that is essentially about pulling up the ladder behind them.

    zagdrobPhoenix-DAtomikaCommander ZoomIncenjucarMild ConfusionShadowhopeChanusFencingsaxBigJoeMRickRudeRaijuMartini_Philosophervalhalla130MegaMan001BlackDragon480TofystedethNo-QuarterJaysonFourRingoShadowfireDacMan in the MistsHacksawspool32SorceAbsoluteZeroSkeithNetscapeRhesus PositiveLord_AsmodeusEinzelGONG-00Gnome-InterruptusKristmas KthulhuDavid WalgasHavelock2.0kimeKoopahTroopahMagellMoridin889emp123Fleur de Alysmjn6172Donovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    Latin is not an actual demographic. Is a bunch of people from very different countries on small communities, that may or may not vote certain way. While most Latin folk on the US are Mexicans for the very obvious reason of sharing a land border, that's not all of them.

    FencingsaxDizzy DElldren
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    Latin is not an actual demographic. Is a bunch of people from very different countries on small communities, that may or may not vote certain way. While most Latin folk on the US are Mexicans for the very obvious reason of sharing a land border, that's not all of them.

    I said Latinx, not Latin, which is a demographic group. And there's a reason I used that instead of Hispanic.

    GiantGeek2020RingoiTunesIsEvil
  • DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    Voted in person today, Massachusetts. Never had to wait at all for early voting in this small town before, but combination of turnout and covid measures slowed it to two hours.

    Drows on
    JragghenSleepmonikerXaquinMild ConfusionGiantGeek2020FencingsaxForarNo-QuarterboogedybooRaijuMarty81Martini_PhilosopherArdolMillRingoShadowfireHacksawA Kobold's KoboldLabelSorceAbsoluteZeroMorganVLord_AsmodeusDoctor DetroitJazzGnome-InterruptusKristmas Kthulhuemp123mjn6172FawstElldren
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    Drows wrote: »
    Voted in person today, Massachusetts. Never had to wait at all for early voting in this small town before, but combination of turnout and covid measures slowed it to two hours.

    Oh fuck yeah it's finally started, I know what I'm doing with my morning tomorrow

    Sleep on
    PreacherMancingtomRingoGnome-Interruptus
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

    Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

    This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

    It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

    If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

    I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

    He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

    My niece just married into a family like that from El Paso. They hate Beto and the new husband likes to chant Build the Wall to "make white people cry". It's very discouraging

    It is not an uncommon thing for people who immigrated successfully to develop a mentality that is essentially about pulling up the ladder behind them.

    Also, minorities aren't free from racism. Michigan's got populations of two different groups from Iraq - Muslim and Chaldean. Both historically skew Republican in part because Republicans hate the other.

  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s less Democrat and Republican than conservative and liberal. If republicans weren’t so virulently racist they could tap into the conservative side of all groups, but then they just wouldn’t be republicans gosh darnit

    ElvenshaeBlackDragon480FencingsaxCelestialBadgerButtersNobeardTicaldfjamShadowhopeMartini_PhilosopherRingoMan in the Mistsvalhalla130HacksawAegerimonikerspool32SorceRaijuAbsoluteZeroLord_AsmodeusGiantGeek2020DoctorArchJazzKristmas KthulhuHavelock2.0Moridin889emp123ZeroCowmjn617238thDoeFawstElldren
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

    Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

    I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

    I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

    Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

    I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

    I know folks are gonna disagree with me because everything always has to be as bad as possible, but I think public polling supports my argument. When trump says something blatantly racist, his numbers go down. Eventually they tend to recover, because average voters have at best a 1 month memory, but the fact that trump gets penalized for his blatant racism is pretty well supported.

    I don't think that very many people actually like Trump. Most of his supporters have created a fake idea of Trump for themselves that's way better than the real one, and every time that Trump opens his mouth that illusion is temporarily shattered for some of them.

    shrykeFencingsaxPreacherXaquinRingovalhalla130KamarAegerimonikerRaijuLord_AsmodeusGiantGeek2020Kristmas KthulhuMoridin889emp123Elldren
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s less Democrat and Republican than conservative and liberal. If republicans weren’t so virulently racist they could tap into the conservative side of all groups, but then they just wouldn’t be republicans gosh darnit

    The problem with that is that racism is the essence of conservatism. So if conservatives were accepting of conservatives of other races, they'd be liberals.

    Stabbity StyleAistanMan in the Mistsvalhalla130AegeriTicaldfjamRaijuNetscapepainfulPleasanceDonovan Puppyfucker
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Why are four different local news stations running “Look at these strong Latinx women who are strong because they support Trump and stand up to people who would shut you down for supporting Trump!”

    nUzGRMY.gif
    twitch.tv/Taramoor
    @TaramoorPlays
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    The media loves Uncle Toms.

    IncenjucarNo-QuarterSoggybiscuitElvenshaeAistanJragghenautono-wally, erotibot300jmcdonaldMan in the Mistsvalhalla130RickRudeHacksawBlackDragon480AegerimonikerCaptain InertiaMvrckTicaldfjamAbsoluteZeroRaijuLord_AsmodeusBigJoeMEinzelzagdrobDoctorArchGnome-InterruptusKristmas KthulhupainfulPleasanceMagellNobeardMoridin889Donovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Why are four different local news stations running “Look at these strong Latinx women who are strong because they support Trump and stand up to people who would shut you down for supporting Trump!”

    Are they sinclair stations?

    Phoenix-DFencingsaxOrcaDevoutlyApatheticToxElvenshaeRingoJragghenShadowfireMan in the MistsKamarMazzyxBlackDragon480A Dabble Of TheloniusCommander ZoomAegerimonikerspool32boogedybooTofystedethIlpalaStabbity StyleLabelNobodySorceRozMetzger MeisterAbsoluteZeroNetscapeRaijuVeagleLord_AsmodeuszagdrobGiantGeek2020KoopahTroopahpainfulPleasanceNobeardMoridin889emp123Bullhead38thDoeDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Our media has frequently gone out of its way to find trump voters, its the whole "ohio diner" syndrome. We'll find out if they were selling a false narrative or there really is a quiet Trump supporter wave hiding behind massively bad polling for their candidate.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    CantideRickRudePhoenix-DmonikerMvrckNetscapeRaijuGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptuspainfulPleasanceMoridin889emp123Elldren
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I mean, it shouldn't be hard to find Trump supporters even if you trust the polling. They're 40% of the electorate. They're not rare unicorns, though they ought to be.

    FencingsaxElvenshaeJragghenRickRudemonikerStabbity StyleRaijuzagdrobGiantGeek2020JazzKristmas KthulhupainfulPleasanceNobeardMoridin889Smrtnikemp123Elldren
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Trump campaigning on locking up Whitmer now. A week after the plot to kidnap and execute her was broken up. Cool!

    Oh, yes, that won’t lead to any fucking stupid bullshit.

    Or was “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” not fucking blatant enough for that bright orange shitgibbon?

    steam_sig.png
    valhalla130spool32monikerTofystedethTicaldfjamRaijuGiantGeek2020JazzpainfulPleasanceemp123Elldren
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If he keeps this shit up once hes out, can he be prosecuted for incitement?

    valhalla130RaijuJazz
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    If he keeps this shit up once hes out, can he be prosecuted for incitement?

    He can be prosecuted for like a billion things if anyone has the will to do so.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    ElvenshaeToxJaysonFourJragghenShadowfireCantidejoshofalltradesdurandal4532Man in the Mistsvalhalla130RingoRickRudeMazzyxMartini_PhilosopherBlackDragon480AegisCommander ZoomAegeriNo-Quarterspool32monikerA Kobold's KoboldMunkus BeaverCaptain InertiaArdolMvrckTofystedethLabelshrykeRozAbsoluteZeroSleepNetscapeRaijuLord_AsmodeuszagdrobGiantGeek2020FoolOnTheHillMild ConfusionJazzHavelock2.0Kristmas KthulhuKoopahTroopahpainfulPleasanceNobeardMoridin889Smrtnikemp123iTunesIsEvilFleur de AlysBullheadDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    If he keeps this shit up once hes out, can he be prosecuted for incitement?

    He can be prosecuted for like a billion things if anyone has the will to do so.

    Literally his entire immediately family minus one or two of his kids can almost certainly be credibly charged and convicted of malfeasance with nonprofit money in New York. Almost certainly some federal tax evasion charges, as well.

    RickRudeMartini_PhilosopherAegisPreacherCelestialBadgermonikerMan in the MistsMvrckFencingsaxTofystedethLabelshrykeZonugalElvenshaeSkeithNetscapeRaijuVeagleQuidLord_Asmodeuszagdrobvalhalla130GiantGeek2020FoolOnTheHillMild ConfusionJazzKristmas KthulhupainfulPleasanceNobeardemp123iTunesIsEvilBullheadDonovan PuppyfuckerElldren
This discussion has been closed.