As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To boldy go to [Stellaris] Rift

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'd like to try that if the update hadn't broken my mod setup (hangs at 30%--doesn't crash, surprisingly).

I have a game at 2370, and there is definitely slowdown. At 2200, the game has always run fast, at least for me.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Yeah the game always ran fast at 2200 for me, as well. It's just even faster compared to that.

I'm already at 2246 and it's ticking along at exactly the same place. It's nuts in the best possible way. I'd try my game save in 2450 but it's got compatibility issues.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm extremely skeptical about any late game performance improvement. But I guess we'll see. Me later than most.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The necroids are pretty cool so far.

I don’t know that the necrophages really play that much different from a normal syncretic evolution civ. They get a guaranteed primative civ spawn but looking at them other than getting some free pops I don’t see them being that much more useful because they are always same habitability and I have my original thrall species set up more optimized anyway, so I may just uplift to protectorate for the influence anyway.

Not played much with death cults, but if anyone was interested they have a few unique government names/ruler titles.

Barbaric despoilers+ death cult = Band of Blood
    Oligarchy + death cult = Grim Council
    Imperial + death cult = Mortal Empire
    Corporate + Death cult+ gospel of the masses=sacrificial megachurch

Edit: also you can have biological pops convert to lithoid necrophage pops which is pretty cool.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Necrophage event spoiler:
    So I'm surveying new systems and I come across Sol. Earth is currently embroiled in World War 2 when I detect a temporal anomaly on the surface. The survey ship disappears with some Star Trek-y tachyon surge hand waving, and opens up another research project to be completed by a different science vessel.

Some time later, they discover that there is only my Necrophage species living in a small colony on the surface of Earth. They claim to have descended from the crew of the crashed science vessel and are only aware of my empire through stories told throughout their past, but wish to join, and promptly become a new colony in my empire.

Guess I accidentally time-skip genocide'd Earth. Huh.

I'm in the 2280's right now and it's still cruising along at somewhere between hyperspeed and plaid. We'll see if it maintains ludicrous in the mid to late game.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There’s some really neat things conceptually you can do with Necrophage.

So far just messing with custom species I have:

Sabbat-in-space Vampires (necrophage, reanimated armies, barbaric despoilers, authoritarian/militarist/xenophobe)

An egalitarian proto-cyborg undead race loosely based on the assembly from planetfall. (Necrophage, technocracy, byzantine beurocracy, fanatic materialist/egalitarian democracy).

A lithoid necrophage race that eats organics to reproduce (lithoid necrophage with biological precursor species, haven’t finalized the ethics/civics, probably authoritarian/xenophobe).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I'm playing as fanatical authoritarian spiritualist necrophages called the Neq'wron (eh? Ehh?)

The subservient species are the J'eph, inspired by the Jeff memes which Paradox have fully embraced and encourage among players.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I like the necroids overall. Nothing super game changing but they’re a really solid addition. Spreading via basically vampirism every decade is a neat mechanic.

• Options
    I just noticed my relationship malus with egalitarian aliens, 'mysterious disappearances'.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    I started over. I couldn't resist. Nearly the same but instead of authoritarian they're corporate.

Literally a civilization of corporate vampires.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I noticed this little gem in the patch notes.
    The AI attitude of country A to B now depends on A's opinion of B rather than B's of A. This fixes Fallen Empires never declaring war.

No more mr nice guys.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    So a helpful note I figured out for those like me that get tired of playing against random/procedural ai empires:

1. If you set “always spawn” to more empires than the game has ai entries it will randomly pick from the list of selections you have set to always spawn. For example you can maintain a list of 20 custom empires and run a game with 10 ai and it will pick 10 random civs from your force spawn list. Fallen empires and marauders are not affected by this and will always spawn random (they may rarely spawn with your custom species pops though, but will not be forced to).

2. If you want to include the included empires in your force spawns, you can edit them, not change anything, and save them. This makes a duplicate civ that can be set to force spawn, and will keep any special scripted settings the presets have (ie commonwealth of man will always spawn with UNE or custodians, etc). Be sure to cut those off if you start using random civs again though, as otherwise you can get duplicates.

So if you want to make a set of say, 50 preset and custom empires and draw random opponents from the list rather than procedurally generated random opponents you can totally do that.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I really love this game but god I wish automating planets and sectors actually worked.

What are you supposed to be able to automate?

Whoo baby these last hundred years are starting to chug on my Xbox. I just started a fight with my crisis fallen empire and I'm a little worried about the box being able to handle this first fight.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I really love this game but god I wish automating planets and sectors actually worked.

Whoo baby these last hundred years are starting to chug on my Xbox. I just started a fight with my crisis fallen empire and I'm a little worried about the box being able to handle this first fight.

Originally you could automate planets and sectors to run their own economies. Instead of managing every single planet you could designate places as mineral producers, researchers, etc. You still can, technically, but it does fuck all.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Originally you could automate planets and sectors to run their own economies. Instead of managing every single planet you could designate places as mineral producers, researchers, etc. You still can, technically, but it does fuck all.

They took that away because it did worse than fuck all back then. It was actively harmful. People screamed for its removal. They begged for control.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

They took that away because it did worse than fuck all back then. It was actively harmful. People screamed for its removal. They begged for control.

It also wasn't really implemented in a compelling way. Once you hit an arbitrary control cap it was pretty much "you have to automate the rest, because we said so".

• Options
    edited October 2020
    So I didn’t really see this anywhere in the previews, but if you are a necrophage who can purge you can force convert pops of other species to your species in the purge menu at a rate of 1 pop per 5 months. If you are fanatic purifiers this happens automatically unless you intentionally change purge type.

The downside is you burn through pops pretty quickly and are stuck with your base pop growth, but still pretty cool.

Edit: it looks like the necrophage purge option requires at least some level of xenophobe though, non-xenophobes can only assimilate through the building.

I did a FP test game... the subservient species for fanatic purifier necrophages is... not long for this world.

There’s definitely some incentive to having xenophobe though, the necrophage purge option seems to be by far the most effecient way to deal with the two planets of primatives you get. Send in the marines, Necrophage purge the pops there, then resettle some of your subservient pops so you can have decent pop growth.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It also wasn't really implemented in a compelling way. Once you hit an arbitrary control cap it was pretty much "you have to automate the rest, because we said so".

Yeah it's a drastic oversimplification to say people begged for automation to be removed. The old system was dumb because it forced you to automate stuff after you had exceeded a certain number of colonies. We definitely didn't ask for terrible automation in general -- just the ability to control what we automated and what we didn't more closely. When you have 50 colonies, it really would be nice to have a somewhat intelligent sector AI.

Typing all of that made me realize a parallel: I've been playing some Imperium Galactica 2 lately -- it's a super cool real time 4X from 1999. Broadly similar to Stellaris, but with more of a military focus. That being said, it has a relatively complex city building layer. Each planet has a SimCity style city view, where you plop down structures in real time (there are probably 30 in total). The planetary automation is perfect. I was initially micromanging most of my colonies, before realizing the AI does a completely fantastic job of doing it (you just select what type of planet you want (military/research/econ...) just like in Stellaris) without you. The planetary management is slightly more in depth in Stellaris, but not by much! Now that I think of it, it's kind of embarassing for Paradox that a small Hungarian studio pulled off drastically better planetary automation in 1999 than they can do today.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Fiatil wrote: »

Yeah it's a drastic oversimplification to say people begged for automation to be removed. The old system was dumb because it forced you to automate stuff after you had exceeded a certain number of colonies. We definitely didn't ask for terrible automation in general -- just the ability to control what we automated and what we didn't more closely. When you have 50 colonies, it really would be nice to have a somewhat intelligent sector AI.

Typing all of that made me realize a parallel: I've been playing some Imperium Galactica 2 lately -- it's a super cool real time 4X from 1999. Broadly similar to Stellaris, but with more of a military focus. That being said, it has a relatively complex city building layer. Each planet has a SimCity style city view, where you plop down structures in real time (there are probably 30 in total). The planetary automation is perfect. I was initially micromanging most of my colonies, before realizing the AI does a completely fantastic job of doing it (you just select what type of planet you want (military/research/econ...) just like in Stellaris) without you. The planetary management is slightly more in depth in Stellaris, but not by much! Now that I think of it, it's kind of embarassing for Paradox that a small Hungarian studio pulled off drastically better planetary automation in 1999 than they can do today.

I followed the forums and reddit fairly closely and initially people wanted the sector ai improved. This stage continued for a number of years. It never improved.

When they realised it could not happen. That this company was simply incapable of this feat, the mood turned to "please just remove this and let us control everything as we please".

It was always terrible automation that ruined your economy. They never really figured out how to make it work.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Right -- but the sector AI is still in. It's still theoretically a feature that should function, it just doesn't.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I don't think they'll ever truly fix it. They just gave people back control and wandered off.

I have no faith that they even can.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    So I didn’t really see this anywhere in the previews, but if you are a necrophage who can purge you can force convert pops of other species to your species in the purge menu at a rate of 1 pop per 5 months. If you are fanatic purifiers this happens automatically unless you intentionally change purge type.

The downside is you burn through pops pretty quickly and are stuck with your base pop growth, but still pretty cool.

Edit: it looks like the necrophage purge option requires at least some level of xenophobe though, non-xenophobes can only assimilate through the building.

I did a FP test game... the subservient species for fanatic purifier necrophages is... not long for this world.

There’s definitely some incentive to having xenophobe though, the necrophage purge option seems to be by far the most effecient way to deal with the two planets of primatives you get. Send in the marines, Necrophage purge the pops there, then resettle some of your subservient pops so you can have decent pop growth.

Oh crap I didn't know necrophages could purge convert aliens to their species type. That's gonna be my next FP run for sure.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think they'll ever truly fix it. They just gave people back control and wandered off.

I have no faith that they even can.

Looking at Imperium Galactica 2, it honestly seems like it should be fairly simple. Stop all of the "sector resource" stuff -- make every sector or planet or whatever draw straight from your global income. Past that, just have every planet automation category be a list of priorities -- you have to design like 10 different lists for the different planet types (energy, minerals, research....) but that's just a matter of swapping out the variables once you have it set up. Make the AI build up "mineral planets" to use a predetermined list of buildings that will result in basic needs being met (housing, happiness) while generating a surplus of whatever resource you want (minerals in this case) at the lowest cost possible. If you have too many "automated mineral planets" yeah you'll drain all of your global energy and you wont have any food, but you adjust that at the macro level by assigning more planets to energy and food instead of manually plunking down buildings.

If that game from 1999 can have AI capable of making a "tech planet" that intelligently maximizes technology output while balancing housing, happiness, food, and credits, I want to dream that Stellaris can do it today. But hey I guess not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It should be simple, and they haven't managed it in 4 years. So... we are just out of luck really. That just seems to be the reality of it. I'd love it if they fixed it though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently they let this sneak out in the Necroids trailer
    o4nw108.png

Espionage incoming!

• Options
    Realized what was causing my overcrowding problems. I went synthetic awakening and now every system capital complex gives me almost 10 pop points a month, some of my planets have 40 unemployed pops. Building a ring world just to have some spot to put people

• Options
    Hrm, had the default Pasharti absorbers in my game, they seem to have decided to become fanatical purifiers. I assume this is some kind of event or just them reforming their government, they still have hedgemonic imperialist as ai personality though I didn’t think reforming into FP was possible.

• Options
    Well I created an empire of necrophages consisting of that one portrait with the worms in the mechanical pods, and my prey species are fast breeding docile rodents. Every ten years or so I eat a handful of rodents and spawn some more worms.

How appropriate, then, that this game sets off the Horizon signal event.

We are the worms, the Worm loves us. All becomes worms, all are loved by Worm.

• Options
    75CC6DD474CC9FFD0F317BFA9C5BDDF1F6A709AC

One world becomes seven, the Worm is love.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I got that event chain once playing with some long-time friends who had never gotten it before. I freaked them out with some cryptic talking and vague descriptions of the event chain, and renamed a whole line of stars to
    What Was Will Be, What Will Be Was

They got increasingly weirded out by the whole thing and it was just overall good fun!

• Options
    I've only read through it on a wiki but its REALLY good writing.

I did actually have it trigger once but didnt want the consequence so I ignored it.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Well I created an empire of necrophages consisting of that one portrait with the worms in the mechanical pods, and my prey species are fast breeding docile rodents. Every ten years or so I eat a handful of rodents and spawn some more worms.

How appropriate, then, that this game sets off the Horizon signal event.

We are the worms, the Worm loves us. All becomes worms, all are loved by Worm.

Q9R4LDo.jpg

Trace on
  • Options
    I've only read through it on a wiki but its REALLY good writing.

I did actually have it trigger once but didnt want the consequence so I ignored it.

It can be really really busted depending on how many worlds you have access to and how far away you are from terraforming. In my instance I started with three stars in the same system with a total of one habitable world and 6 barren planets, so basically I got 6 more habitable worlds for free which is insane.

Tomb World habitability is no joke itself, 100% Tomb World habitability and 60% habitability for everything else is useful for me since I annoyingly have a bunch of Tundra and Alpine worlds in my territory(started as tropical). I took the +5% habitability buff from the Orbital Speed Demon event, 5% from the unity perk and 10% from the research so my necrophages now have 80% habitability with everything.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    For those who don't know, the Horizon Signal event chain was written for the game by Alexis Kennedy who was also behind the games Fallen London and Sunless Sea. It's not from the normal Paradox internal staff.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The Worm is my absolute favorite random event and I wish we had like... five more event chains like that.

Edit: Also, it's just... stupid powerful. If necessary, you can transfer your capital system to one with a whole bunch of celestial bodies and suddenly you have like 8 planets to colonize.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Played around with Fanatical Purifier Necrophages and I got the Omnicodex. The ability to add 3 pops anywhere that then get nommed for a bunch of bonuses and I get more of my actual pops. Pretty nice.

• Options
    Just when I thought I was going to enjoy 2.8, they talk about future plans in devlogs today.

Key notes that made me go hnnnngh:
    • Industrial districts are coming back to the game, providing 1 artisan and 1 metallurgist pop each.
    • Buildings will no longer be locked to pop count, but rather unlocked through the development of the planet. City and industrial districts, together with administrative buildings and some tradition perks will increase building count. This allows you to 'prebuild' a planet without having to wait for pops to grow.
    • Average size of homeworlds will be increased by 2 due to districts being more important than before.
    • No cap on industrial districts to a planet, like city districts. Forgeworlds just got that much better.
    • Factory / Forge buildings still exist, but act as a resource multiplier, like the energy grid for generator districts, or food processing centres for agricultural districts.
    • Since industrial districts are considered urban, they count towards paving a planet to prepare it for conversion into an Ecumenalopolis through the arcology project.
    • Specialised / advanced worlds such as Ecumenalopoli, Ring Worlds, Hive worlds, and Machine worlds start with all of their building slots unlocked.
    • Habitats will not gain building slots by building Habitation modules. They are intended to be cramped, but Voidborne ascension perk will still help out there.
    • Megacorp branch office building slots are tied to capital building upgrade level on the planet, up to 3. A 4th building slot is only available if the target empire has the Insider Trading tradition.

This is all in service to their plans to improve automation, which will be covered in the next devlog.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Forcing you to go 1/1 on artisans and metallurgists makes me very not happy. To me the only part that I luke-warmed like about the current planet management system was the decision between funneling minerals into econ/tech for consumer goods or military alloys.

• Options
    znn2ltxnwb37.jpeg

Woot, those last 50 years were agonizingly slow, my regular Xbox doesn't handle endgame well at all. Need to play the next one on a way harder difficulty but that playthrough is going to have to wait until consoles get some sort of automated pop management. I don't mind dealing with buildings and districts but manually resettling is horrendously bad and there doesn't seem to be many other tools for dealing with overcrowding.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    necrophage is fun so far, probably the only way I'll every play fanatical purifier. Also hilarious to do if you have a mod with custom portraits and go with something like cat girls.

As for the future stuff. I suspect 1/1 artisan is intended to ensure that it doesn't completely become a no brainer and also to ensure that is less of an indirect nerf to Ecumenalopoli, which get much better districts that go one way or the other.

I'd have to look at the building stuff, which probably means they need to release more. I wouldn't mind seeing building go down a route where they provide bonuses to district output or where something unique. Granted to pull that off, they'd need refinery districts, research districts, unity production districts and admin production districts. Still, I could probably deal with design if districts were the primary thing for resources and building either boosted them, provided unique things like envoys, planet unique like the worm in waiting or were something you didn't spam. Maybe fortresses would be the exception here.

the habitat stuff has me worried because habitats already struggle on that end. I guess it depends on if voidborne is adjusted to make it less of an issue. I'd also be fine if slots on habitats were also tied to habitat tier. Really depends on how they do it. Would suck to see them implement something that helps out small tile worlds and resorts worlds, that left habitats out in the cold. Though if they go with making resources more district centric, that would create a need to give habitats something to get around having less districts.

Will be interesting to see how much of a nerf that is to megacorps though. Against AI, it probably won't be by much because the AI is really bad at pop production. It'll be noticeable against players and I wouldn't be surprised if the higher tier PvP types looked into whether or not it would be worth not upgrading admin buildings on minor worlds, just to limit the avenues that a competing megacorp player has.