[SECRET SANTA] & [CRYPTIC CARDS]: Classiness is 2020

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited October 19 in Debate and/or Discourse

f6u07f098fo9.jpg

Hello and welcome to Secret Santa, also known as Clue-Free Christmas, Hidden Holidays or X-Filed Xmas! It's coming up to that time of year where society paradoxically compells us to flex our "think of others" brain meats and our "buy stuff" brain meats. These brain meats can come into conflict if we don't exercise them properly. So what better way to get some practice in!

Want to be classy but are struggling to make ends meet? That's what Cryptic Cards are for! You can arrange to get someone to send a cheerful card to instead! Not that you can't send a card to your Santee as well.

How do I demonstrate classiness while participating?

First of all, I'm confident that we're all mature enough to deal with adult concepts like keeping on topic in chat nudity. You can send people NC-17 movies and Lolita and stuff if you want, but in general don't send things with the sole intent of titillation. If you'd rather not receive risque things, make a note of it in your wishlist. Also of course, nothing illegal or dangerous. And no Bitcoins. Impressive Artistic Renditions of Bitcoins are acceptable though.

Second of all, you must post some kind of wishlist here. Some enjoy the thrill of forum stalking, but others don't have the time. Also, if possible, assemble a wishlist for a website in your homeland or for digital wares, so if necessary your Santa can avail of that.

In the past, I've allowed people to ask to be assigned a Santee in the same country as them, because International Postage is a troublesome expense. This has been super stressful to work around, so nowadays remember that by signing up, you agree to send internationally if necessary. To all Santees, this is why Amazon.co.uk or fnac.com or Steam or what have you should be availed of, to allow your Santa to send you things without spending a fortune on postage. So please put thought into that. Cryptic Card will continue to be exclusively international as well.

Finally, you must have a record of your gifts being posted. Amazon/Steam emails, recorded delivery receipt, what have you. It's a busy period and the postal system has not only failed before, but is under unusual strain for what I suspect is the Unclassiest of Motives. You don't have to send them to your Santee unless there's a problem though, but it wouldn't hurt.

[/Classiness Requirements]

So how do you sign up for replacing leg day with classy day? PM me. In the past I've allowed signups just in the thread, and had to chase down folk for their details separately. If I haven't received a PM by the closing date, that's tough cookies. Your PM should include:

-Your real name and address
-Whether you're being a Secret Santa and/or Cryptic Carder.
-Whether you wish to be on the reserve list for ungifted Santees (see below)

How much should you spend on your Santee? There are no hard limits. D&D has a huge spread of incomes, putting hard limits wouldn't be fair. If you feel artsy, homemade arts and crafts are a totally classy gift. All that matters is that you've put thought into what you're sending. Another option may be a charity donation in your Santee's name.

You'll have until Friday November 13th to sign up, so the opportunity to net some classy presents without busting your wallet at the likes of Black Friday has not passed you by, and to digest stuff that happened the previous week. It will take me a few days to get everyone assigned, so I may be open to some last minute additions, but keep this date in mind.

There are some restrictions to qualify for joining the Secret Santa, but hopefully aren't too onerous. In general, you should have been a regular poster on the boards since January 2020. This isn't iron clad though, and I'll consider newer posters on a case by case basis, especially if somebody else vouches for them. That being said, I reserve the right to refuse the admission of anyone for any other reason. In addition the Mods have the final say over who can take part, and can veto any admission. Any such refusal should be taken up with them.

Ideally I'd like to have all the assignments sent to their Santas before Thanksgiving, which should give everyone around a month to figure out how best to be classy to your fellow man before the agreed upon date of Christmas. Problems can happen however, and I'll understand if by Christmas Eve your gift has not reached its recipient, especially if you've explained this to your Santee and myself. And as said above, there may be post problems pertaining these plague pandemic perils, so as long as communication has been done I think we can be forgiving if things take a long time to get anywhere. I advise you all to use tracking numbers when you send them in case something goes wrong. If you have failed to send me notification of any actions you have taken by January 20th, I shall be in contact with the Mods. They understand the importance of being classy, and frown upon those who ask for the responsibility and then shun it. You WILL be banned if you fail to live up to your obligation without good reason. Also, never display disappointment in what you receive. People are being classy and sending you gifts, and it is bad form to complain about what you receive and forget the reason behind the gift. In the event a Santee goes without gift, I will be asking someone on the reserve list to make it up to them, preferably by the end of February.

Remember, it's now what you give or get, but how classy you are in doing it. <3

Those Being Secretive:

Blameless Cleric
Dark Raven X
davidsdurion
Hahnsoo1
Herrcron
milski
spool32
Tav

Those Being Cryptic:

Blameless Cleric
Dark Raven X
davidsdurion
Hahnsoo1
RMS Oceanic

The stalking begins.

For ease of stalking historical reference:

RMS Oceanic on
Dark Raven XAtomikaArch

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 12
    good lord, before Halloween?

All right then, !signup :):)

spool32 on
    bloodyroarxxdavidsdurions
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    12GIFS_Vic3.gif

!signup

The list:

I would love local stuff from wherever you are with an explanation of what you love about it. Food, art, oddities...just something that's a story about where you're from. A way of traveling without traveling

If that's not in the cards:
    Cooking stuff
    Gardening stuff

That's what I've been real interested in this year.

...I'm also planning to buy an embroidery machine for myself for christmas this year so anything related to that is on the table.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    jungleroomxDark Raven XskippydumptruckAtomikadavidsdurionsArch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    !signup I'm in! Woo!

Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    davidsdurionsArch
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    !Signup

You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
    davidsdurionsArch
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    edited October 14
    !signup

Wishlist!
    My wishlist is very simple, as I think I have nearly everything I could really need in material goods.

1. An RGB mouse mat, 30"+ wide
    2. Lian Li Uni interlocking fan set of 3 + controller, may be sold out
    3. An Instant Pot

Other than that, I can't think of anything consumer-good-ish that I would even want.

What do I actually want then?

1. Wall hanging or other arts. If it's a purchased bit, I definitely like the more neon noir/cyberpunky kind of stuff with high contrast and focus on certain colors. If it's handmade, then I will take literally anything.
    2. Alcohol is never unwelcome!
    3. Last year I got saffron and it's made some interesting dishes. "Exotic" spice outside the norm is also something I'll never turn away.
    4. Fun chocolates are fine, white chocolate is the most fine!
    5. Steam gift cards.

THINGS TO AVOID

1. No x rated stuff
    2. Tchotchke's or other knick-knacks. I don't have many of these things and prefer not to have them.
    3. Clothing, except for accessories like hats, gloves, or scarfs.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    davidsdurionsArch
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    !signup

I hope y’all are ready for some fucking winter holiday / xmas cheer because I am BRINGING IT

Elki wrote: »

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

gotta update that stuff man
    Doodmannjungleroomxspool32Hi I'm Vee!Blameless ClericdavidsdurionsSummaryJudgment
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    !signup

someone is going to get blasted with Christmas cheer

davidsdurionsBlameless Cleric
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    !signup

My wishlist!
    I love homemade stuff, if you're an arty type!

I like: Lego, the Expanse, Legend of Korra, Final Fantasys (all) Gundam (and Gunpla!) Gurren Lagann, Zelda, Pusheen, Devil May Cry, Transistor, Half Life, Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like building stuff, tinkering with electronics and such!

I got a kindle, so I'm good for books, but wouldn't mind some recommendations and Amazon credit! ;P

Mostly play on Switch now, and I like digital games for the most part and PC for everything else. I would love Switch funmoney! We just got VR a few months ago and it's our current obsession.

Amazon Wishlist
    Steam Wishlist

I'm married to @Ravenhpltc24 if ya wanna mine her for info ;D

Oh brilliant
    AtomikaDoodmanndavidsdurions
  • AtomikaAtomika Emily Poppe, RN Registered User regular
    !Signup

I want a Lamborghini massage chair

Dark Raven Xspool32DoodmannBlameless ClericdavidsdurionsJaysonFour
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 13
    Atomika wrote: »
    !Signup

a chair that massages Lamborghinis, sounds useful!

spool32 on
    AtomikaBlameless Clericdavidsdurions
  • AtomikaAtomika Emily Poppe, RN Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    !Signup

a chair that massages Lamborghinis, sounds useful!

Those Lamborghinis are hard-working single moms who deserve a break

spool32davidsdurionsBlameless Cleric
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    !signup

My list, as was foretold!

I am now and forever in Canada, and nobody can remember a time when this wasn't the case, least of all Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    As a result, ordering via amazon.ca or something will probably work out better for you than shipping to here from wherever you are, especially with the exchange rates favouring just about every other major currency in the world.
    And some of the minor ones too.

Our place is very much our own after three years, but I forever thirst for new things to cram into our tiny kitchen.
    There's some things on my Amazon wishlist that would be welcome, though I'm not married to the make and model of the kitchen items on that list, so if you know better, by all means go for it.
    Or feel free to go for something not on there if you feel like it.
    In terms of existing gadgets, I have a Sous Vide, pizza stone & paddle, an instantpot, a stand mixer, and an ice cream making attachment for said stand mixer. Just to rule them out, as nobody needs TWO sousvides.... or do they?

Video Games - I have a Switch, PC, and an Xbone - and I also have games for two of those up to my eyeballs (thank you game pass ultimate!) so really, Switch titles are probably your best bet here. But if you're confident in yourself, do not let me stop you, especially if it's something a little different.
    This is my backloggery for all your cross referencing needs.

Books - I am not a great reader, but that doesn't mean you can't get me books, I will make the time for them! Cookery books are also a good shout - especially if they manage to deal with my being a coeliac, but even if they don't i've gotten handy at doing substiutions.
    I'm forever contemplating changing jobs in the future, moving into more business oriented programming, so if you're a fellow frog rammer and have some books you'd recommend for someone learning c#, WPF et al, that'd be great. Might just be the kick up the hole I need. And isn't that the greatest gift of all?
    No, it's not, but it's still pretty great!

Booze - I am fond of whiskey, especially peated whiskies and single malts, but blended is good too. I also like gin, especially ones that are a bit different to the standard Bombay, Hendricks style ones. However, I cannot drink beer, Unless it's a gluten-free beer. And that's usually just disappointment in a can.

Sports & Sports Accessories - I've built quite a collection of football jerseys over the last while, and I'd love to add to it. But to be picky for a second, it's probably best not to get anything from clubs based in Ireland or the UK. Too much potential for awkwardness.
    As for sizing, if it's player fit then you might as well err on the side of caution and get an XL. regular fit then a Medium or a Large will do. If you're unsure, just for an XL - I ain't gettin' any thinner.
    I've also taken up running, because I'm a fool, so anything in that area would also work.

Comics - I currently have a marvel unlimited subscription I don't make nearly enough use of, so anything in this category should probably be limited to non-marvel stuff. But not the walking dead, please. I've had my fill of that. There's plenty of comics on my amazon wish list, but new things are good too!

Coffee - This is what keeps me alive. But I don't really drink anything too fancy and maybe it's time to change that up? I've only got a French press, and a filter coffee machine so there's ample room for stuff in this area.
    Anyway, if you're a coffee person, maybe there's something in this area you reckon would be a good thing, go for it.

Or... just go hogwild! Pick whatever you fancy! Maybe something that's local to you and where you are? Fantastic! Go for it!

I'm a goddamn dirty coeliac, so I can't consume things with gluten in them. So as much as I love tasty treats you're gonna have to check and see if they're gluten free. It's a pain in the ass, trust me, I know. Anything else is fine!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    davidsdurions
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    !signup

Holy shit I haven't done this in four years?? I need to classify, stat!

Wishlist:

Good things

Old Books - I've drastically reduced the number of books I own, and there's just a little bit of room on this bookshelf that I'd like to fill up with classy-looking books. I'm a huge fan of Isaac Asimov and he's written a billion books, so you're pretty safe there. Many years ago my santa got me Asimov's Guide to the Bible and Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare which was awesome. I do own most of his sci-fi already, so maybe stay away from that. Other than that, I'd really like a nice matching set of the d'Artagnan Romances (five book series starting with The Three Musketeers and ending with The Man in the Iron Mask) by Alexandre Dumas. Other than that, whatever you think looks cool!

Chess sets - I now have enough cool chess sets to consider it a "collection", so it's officially on the list. I have two important rules for collecting chess sets and they are very important. First, no plastic pieces. Wood, metal, stone, most other materials are fine, but not plastic. Second, and most important, the symbology must be instantly recognizable. In other words, I want to be able to actually play a game with the chess board without having to remind myself which pieces are which. Examples: pretty neat, but bad symbology ; my current favorite chess set I own

Knick-knacks - This used to be in the below section, but I have more shelf space now, so if you see something cool (but not hyper niche or nerdy), I'm down. My sister gave me this one year (a xenomorph from the Alien series made out of scrap metal), which is one of my favorite gifts ever. Bonus points if you make it!

Crafty Things - If you're someone who knows how to make stuff, like knitting or drawing or sculpting etc etc, I'd love to receive anything you make! This is probably my number 1 favorite thing to get from people (but don't worry if you're not a crafty person, I'm not either, I'll still love whatever you send me <3 )

Queer-related things - I'm bi and trans, so anything with those colors or flags would be great (especially if it's a crafty thing you made, see above!), though my trans-ness is slightly on the hushhush IRL for me atm, so maybe lean more towards bi stuff for now.

I'm-a-girl-now stuff - I'm pretty new to being a girl! I'm definitely wanting to indulge in some stereotypically girly things, like bubble baths and fun shower products and painting nails etc etc. Maybe stay away from makeup for now, I'm not sure when I'm going to start working on that, but send me some girly shit for sure! My favorite colors are green and purple, but especially green.

Food and drink - I like most foods, and fun drinks! I don't like beer or wine; if you're going to send alcohol, your best bet is a fun local cider (especially if you live in the Pacific Northwest). I am diabetic, so maybe stay away from mega-sweets like candy or mega-carbs like bread or, I dunno, grits or something.

Not-as-good things

Board games - Normally I'm all about the board games, but between the pandemic and moving to a new city, I have a pretty significant backlog at the moment, so adding more to this collection is probably unwise. Maybe next year.

Regular books - I do most of my reading on my tablet now and I don't have room for a ton of paperbacks anymore, so I'm really only looking for "display" books that fit the criteria listed above. I mean, I'm still going to read those books, they're not just for display, but yeah, no paperbacks unless they look really nice.

Console games - Maybe a Switch game if you feel really passionately about it (I already own most of the staples, I think) but probably best to stay away from this category.

PC Games - I have way too much to play right now, so only do this if it's a fun weird niche game like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes or something.

Posters - I'm really picky about what kind of posters I like, so it's probably best to avoid this one.

Clothing - This is uh...tricky for me right now what with the "I'm a girl now" thing, so lets hold off on this until next year (unless it's something you make yourself <3 )

Feel free to completely ignore this list and surprise me with something, especially if it's something you made. Surprises are the best!

When stalking me in past threads, keep in mind that I used to be 'visiblehowl' (although I suppose my current username should show up in the old threads, now that I think about it).

If you have questions about me or are looking for friends to act as a proxy, your best bets are @Organichu @Jacobkosh and @Sir Landshark (and by extension @porp )

How to properly greet me:
    DqCFqdL.png
    Blameless Clericdavidsdurions
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited October 14
    i8xs4zfy11z7.png

Sizes & Measurements:
    • Shirts: M
    • Pants: L or 12
    • Skirts: L or 12
    • Dresses: L or 12 unless they’re not at all fitted below the waist, in which case a 10 is ok
    • Shoes: 8.5

Clothes and Makeup
    I’ve gotten really into makeup lately!

Crafting Supplies

I sew! And I embroider!
    Merch & Miscelany

Video Game Stuff
    • Another set of JoyCons for my Switch !!!!! This would be SO RAD!
    • Gift cards to the Nintendo store
    • Steam gift cards

Things I Actually Need/Home Goods
    • A nice set of different sized baking spatulas
    • A copy of the Joy of Cooking
    • Sealing wax kit - I'm out of most of my sealing wax and I'm a big dumb baby who sends letters a lot
    • Stationery, see above (I like things featuring impressionist works, Emily Dickinson stuff, pressed flowers, fancy thick weight paper, etc)
    • A copy of Christianne Miller’s “Emily Dickinson’s Poems As She Preserved Them”
    • Pyrex dishes!!!
    • I have a dish/homegoods/nesting wish list with a friend i’d like to move in with next spring so, anything off of that would make us very happy
    • https://www.etsy.com/people/writerfairy1564/favorites/nesting-4-future-home?fbclid=IwAR14pRP9Y71oh4ACwn0f6s3jqBNE62d8tYOIWAJO8-x9OeCa2xCGd5TksLk
    • I really need a wired mouse and computer speakers for my new machine!! Also a decent headset and/or monitor-mounted camera for zoom calls etc would be R A D. but mostly.. tools for.. GAMING
    • Coasters! Maybe stone ? Or ones with pressed flowers in them? I just have a couple of pieces of nice wood furniture now and I would like to not leave rings on them
    • If ur feelin' crazy, a record player :0 I have several records now for some reason

Ok that's about it for specific desires. But guess what - don't limit yourself to this list if you don't want to! I love food from your region (only thing I don't eat is cilantro and licorice), stuff you've made (I'll prob be embroidering things for ppl for this year) -- I could always use more scarves or hats or mittens or ART! I'll appreciate whatever I get bc it's from YOU, Santa, and I love u <3

If you have q's or don't want to overlap with other people, contact @spool32 or @Belasco32 :)

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    AtomikaDoodmannmilskidavidsdurionsArchHerrCron
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    !signup

I hope y’all are ready for some fucking winter holiday / xmas cheer because I am BRINGING IT

I too am fucking BRINGING IT THIS YEAR Y'ALL it is a ROUGH AND DISTRESSING TIME and I MISS YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH so get ready for MAXIMUM CLASSINESS this year!!!!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    Casual EddydavidsdurionsHi I'm Vee!ArchDoodmannDark Raven XAtomika
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    !signup

I too am fucking BRINGING IT THIS YEAR Y'ALL it is a ROUGH AND DISTRESSING TIME and I MISS YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH so get ready for MAXIMUM CLASSINESS this year!!!!

I am GETTING PUMPED for SENDING A GIFT TO SOMEONE they will REALLY ENJOY

Elki wrote: »

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

gotta update that stuff man
    davidsdurionsHi I'm Vee!Blameless ClericDark Raven XSummaryJudgment
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    !signup

I am GETTING PUMPED for SENDING A GIFT TO SOMEONE they will REALLY ENJOY

How to properly greet me:
    DqCFqdL.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    whispers into the dark

!signup

PREPARE PORT BATTERY! HARD RIGHT RUDDER! WHEN TARGET IS IN SIGHT...fire.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Blameless ClericDark Raven XDoodmannSummaryJudgment
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    !signup

2020 has outweighed my Grinchiness in terms of shopping and postage.

I mean, I am not discounting the bottlecap scenario.
    I am stocked the fuck up on bottlecaps.
    davidsdurionsBlameless ClericDoodmann
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    First update of people wot gave me deets!

Everyone else, remember to PM me, even if it's just a "last year's deets are good" note. And check if you're missing and/or on the wrong list.

davidsdurionsDark Raven X
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    !signup

I could stand to spread some Christmas cheer around- let's face it, after this year, we could all use something to look forward to.

Wishlist:

1) I have a Steam account, you can visit it through my sig, and I have a massive, massive wishlist there if you feel like just tossing me a Steam game or what have you. I mean, let's face it, games are awesome- or you can just send me a gift card. Console-wise, I have a Switch, an XBox 360, and a PS2. If you have a quirky little game for those consoles you think I might like (or just want to send me Switch credit), go for it!

2) No clothes, though I honestly appreciate the effort and thought. I'm a very, very hard person to fit, and I tend to stick with my usual places when I can find a place that does shirts and the like that fit me well.

3) I collect cookbooks- odd ones. I mean, ones themed after TV shows, video games, etc. - I have a World of Warcraft one I've been dying to make some stuff out of (the banana bread in this one is legit amazing), and I'm always up for collections of recipes or other things (I also like to surf things like Drunken Moogle, and other various sites around the net where people take food from games and make it in real life). I don't mind alcohol, but I'm not a huge heavy drinker. Food would also be good, but I live in Michigan and if you send something, it might end up sitting outside in the ice and snow for a while, so keep that in mind!

4) I'm currently playing a crudload of Pokemon- one game for myself, the other with my niece, and we're having a blast with it. Pokemon books and guides might be kind of cool, but no action figures (no room). I'm trying to make her two customized Pokedexes- one for Galar, the other a National (my poor, poor ink budget)- and she's absolutely in love with the game right now.

5) I'm trying to start an online tabletop group and I can always use more Pathfinder stuff (first or second edition) or Starfinder stuff. If you want to go this route, a gift cert might be good (or I can send you the list of books that I have). No dice (I have piles of them already) and no physical book copies (I like to download and cram all my PDFs into an iPad). I've also been looking for the new Battletech game (A Time of War, I think it is?), and that might be cool, too.

6) I have cats. While I'd be honored to have art and other things people make, and I'll do my best to find some places to hang and set stuff, keep that in mind (though art and stuff would be awesome). But cat stuff would be awesome (I got sent a big pack of treats last year and the cats were very appreciative).

7) Books - I'm a voracious reader of fantasy and sci-fi (think things like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Mystara, Pathfinder, Battletech/Mechwarrior) and I'm always looking for new authors to help me kill an afternoon with some munchies and a nice cup of tea.

8) Treat the above as just a guide. If you want to do something else, go do something else! If you want to get me something completely unexpected, then go do it- I won't mind!

steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm signed up! I'll post my list later. Exite!

Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page