As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

19596979899101»

Posts

  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Most post-apocalyptic stories are boring these days. They're all destruction porn and "people are the real monsters!" and it's so, so played out.

    SyFy's Defiance wasn't particularly good, but it had a neat premise: skip right over the apocalypse and focus on what people have built afterwards.

    Part of the reason for not enjoying post-apoc, is that we're already living in a pretty shitty time, and as we've seen with covid response, we're living amongst a lot of shitty people. If the token "chains on society" ever come off, the level of stupid and cruel that will rise to the top will just be endemic, regardless of whatever the actual disaster is (plague, climate change, etc). And I'd just rather not focus on that shit in my recreational time.

    I've been meaning to watch Defiance, but given it's run time, I'm concerned about getting invested and then having it abruptly end. Did it come to a satisfying conclusion, or did it cliffhanger in an annoying manner? Don't want a spoiler, just not interested in the journey if the destination sucks.

    thatassemblyguyTrajan45
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Most post-apocalyptic stories are boring these days. They're all destruction porn and "people are the real monsters!" and it's so, so played out.

    SyFy's Defiance wasn't particularly good, but it had a neat premise: skip right over the apocalypse and focus on what people have built afterwards.

    Part of the reason for not enjoying post-apoc, is that we're already living in a pretty shitty time, and as we've seen with covid response, we're living amongst a lot of shitty people. If the token "chains on society" ever come off, the level of stupid and cruel that will rise to the top will just be endemic, regardless of whatever the actual disaster is (plague, climate change, etc). And I'd just rather not focus on that shit in my recreational time.

    I've been meaning to watch Defiance, but given it's run time, I'm concerned about getting invested and then having it abruptly end. Did it come to a satisfying conclusion, or did it cliffhanger in an annoying manner? Don't want a spoiler, just not interested in the journey if the destination sucks.

    It had an ending that wrapped the majority of the "plot" of the show.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    MorganV
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Most post-apocalyptic stories are boring these days. They're all destruction porn and "people are the real monsters!" and it's so, so played out.

    SyFy's Defiance wasn't particularly good, but it had a neat premise: skip right over the apocalypse and focus on what people have built afterwards.

    Part of the reason for not enjoying post-apoc, is that we're already living in a pretty shitty time, and as we've seen with covid response, we're living amongst a lot of shitty people. If the token "chains on society" ever come off, the level of stupid and cruel that will rise to the top will just be endemic, regardless of whatever the actual disaster is (plague, climate change, etc). And I'd just rather not focus on that shit in my recreational time.

    I've been meaning to watch Defiance, but given it's run time, I'm concerned about getting invested and then having it abruptly end. Did it come to a satisfying conclusion, or did it cliffhanger in an annoying manner? Don't want a spoiler, just not interested in the journey if the destination sucks.

    It had an ending that wrapped the majority of the "plot" of the show.

    Cool, thanks. Once I've finished Voyager, I might put that on next in my schedule.

    And I get to blame you if I don't like it. So, win/win!

    PreacherGiantGeek2020
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Most post-apocalyptic stories are boring these days. They're all destruction porn and "people are the real monsters!" and it's so, so played out.

    SyFy's Defiance wasn't particularly good, but it had a neat premise: skip right over the apocalypse and focus on what people have built afterwards.

    Part of the reason for not enjoying post-apoc, is that we're already living in a pretty shitty time, and as we've seen with covid response, we're living amongst a lot of shitty people. If the token "chains on society" ever come off, the level of stupid and cruel that will rise to the top will just be endemic, regardless of whatever the actual disaster is (plague, climate change, etc). And I'd just rather not focus on that shit in my recreational time.

    I've been meaning to watch Defiance, but given it's run time, I'm concerned about getting invested and then having it abruptly end. Did it come to a satisfying conclusion, or did it cliffhanger in an annoying manner? Don't want a spoiler, just not interested in the journey if the destination sucks.

    It had an ending that wrapped the majority of the "plot" of the show.

    Cool, thanks. Once I've finished Voyager, I might put that on next in my schedule.

    And I get to blame you if I don't like it. So, win/win!

    Its definitely a scifi show, but I think the actors did a good job, and you get Graham Greene being awesome.

    One thing I will warn you about there is a race in the show that skirts almost past nudity on tv, so if you have prudes you might want to be careful with certain scenes.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    MorganV
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Most post-apocalyptic stories are boring these days. They're all destruction porn and "people are the real monsters!" and it's so, so played out.

    SyFy's Defiance wasn't particularly good, but it had a neat premise: skip right over the apocalypse and focus on what people have built afterwards.

    Part of the reason for not enjoying post-apoc, is that we're already living in a pretty shitty time, and as we've seen with covid response, we're living amongst a lot of shitty people. If the token "chains on society" ever come off, the level of stupid and cruel that will rise to the top will just be endemic, regardless of whatever the actual disaster is (plague, climate change, etc). And I'd just rather not focus on that shit in my recreational time.

    I've been meaning to watch Defiance, but given it's run time, I'm concerned about getting invested and then having it abruptly end. Did it come to a satisfying conclusion, or did it cliffhanger in an annoying manner? Don't want a spoiler, just not interested in the journey if the destination sucks.

    Defiance wasn't exactly AAA, but it had a nice Alien Nation vibe to it. Like Mancingtom mentioned: it's more of an exploration of an integrated post-event society (and the friction that arises from it), and that was really its strength (some good alien actor character work, fun lore, stuff like that).

    I wonder if the corresponding MMO from it is still around.

    Straygatsby on
    PreacherMorganVMancingtom
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I finally quit on the Walking Dead when the umpteenth person bent over to examine a dead body and had their face chewed off.

    But based on the current pandemic apparently that's how people are going to act in the apocalypse. Really fucking stupid.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    BlackDragon480kimePreacherGnizmoN1tSt4lker
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I finally quit on the Walking Dead when the umpteenth person bent over to examine a dead body and had their face chewed off.

    But based on the current pandemic apparently that's how people are going to act in the apocalypse. Really fucking stupid.

    No, they're going to lick the zombie, because someone they think is a "liberal elite" told them not to.

    I've thought there were way too many stupid people out and about in society. I was wrong. I was woefully undercounting them.

    The horse dewormer thing broke me.

    PreacherN1tSt4lker
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah if anything Zombie movies were too optimistic.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    GnizmoGiantGeek2020thatassemblyguykime
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah if anything Zombie movies were too optimistic.

    *Serpent and the Rainbow has entered the thread*

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    Preacher
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah if anything Zombie movies were too optimistic.

    *Serpent and the Rainbow has entered the thread*

    I'd rather take a nail to the groin than watch that movie.

    Which is apparently a theme within the movie.

    Mythology is FUCKED UP.

  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I finally quit on the Walking Dead when the umpteenth person bent over to examine a dead body and had their face chewed off.

    But based on the current pandemic apparently that's how people are going to act in the apocalypse. Really fucking stupid.

    No, they're going to lick the zombie, because someone they think is a "liberal elite" told them not to.

    I've thought there were way too many stupid people out and about in society. I was wrong. I was woefully undercounting them.

    The horse dewormer thing broke me.

    The Fox News and Breitbarts are going to go silent fairly early on, because power, tv stations and the internet all take a lot to keep going.

    But the last media you'll consume before the world goes dark is going to be the lunatic ramblings of an off brand Alex Jones that's able to run an AM station off of a gas generator.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I finally quit on the Walking Dead when the umpteenth person bent over to examine a dead body and had their face chewed off.

    But based on the current pandemic apparently that's how people are going to act in the apocalypse. Really fucking stupid.

    No, they're going to lick the zombie, because someone they think is a "liberal elite" told them not to.

    I've thought there were way too many stupid people out and about in society. I was wrong. I was woefully undercounting them.

    The horse dewormer thing broke me.

    The Fox News and Breitbarts are going to go silent fairly early on, because power, tv stations and the internet all take a lot to keep going.

    But the last media you'll consume before the world goes dark is going to be the lunatic ramblings of an off brand Alex Jones that's able to run an AM station off of a gas generator.

    The thing is though there will be more of the crazies just meeting up and being crazy with each other. So they wouldn't need the internets or fox news they'd have *shudder* each other.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BogartBogart Gonna Be A Man In Motion Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone do a new one of these, please.

This discussion has been closed.