As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I’m very glad that Netflix added Hunt for the Wilderpeople, because I completely missed it when it was released in theatres.

Im not an expert so I don’t know how to classify it. Coming of age story? Maybe.

It stars Sam Neill, Julian Dennison (Firefist!), and directed by Taika Waititi.

Just a charming movie for an evening escape.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, Showtime stuff has always shown up on Netflix. It was HBO that doesn't show their stuff on other services.

I'm watching Tudors on Netflix right now.

Which, incidentally, isn't a bad show. I could watch Natalie Dormer be Anne Boleyn for days. And Sam Neil is fantastic. Also: Henry Cavill.

The plotting is kinda spotty, though, and the spacing of time is worse than even Game of Thrones. Like, it's seven years from when Anne meets Henry until they finally marry, but the whole affair feels like it takes place in maybe a few months or a year? And several characters show up and do a few random things and then disappear because I guess the writers were like "Hey, this person existed, I guess they should show up or whatever."

Fortunately my girlfriend studied 16th century European history, so it's like watching the show with annotations on. "Oh yeah, so the pope died offscreen there, and that's why they suddenly have a new pope, and meanwhile the King of France was off doing this stuff, but the show didn't really mention that, and this really cool thing Anne said was actually a direct quote, but she was wearing a different crown at the time."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    HBO did have a ton of their stuff on Prime for a while.

https://collider.com/hbo-shows-leaving-amazon-prime/

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I would be surprised if it was anywhere except Showtime since they were the ones who originally aired it.

It would be like Game of Thrones ending up on Netflix

Or The Expanse ending up on Amazon!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Finished Bly.
    Yeah, those last two episodes are roooough. 8th episode was so damn repetitive and stretched for length, like we were hella annoyed after it was over. The last episode was really slow after they left Bly, hamfisted and over explained, and I don't think the resolution was satisfying enough. They also messed up the casting for present Owen super bad, they look nothing alike.

Overall the show was just okay, Hill House was better but Hill House's ending was bad too. Both of them found their stride around episode 5-6 and then just went down.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Finished Bly.
    Yeah, those last two episodes are roooough. 8th episode was so damn repetitive and stretched for length, like we were hella annoyed after it was over. The last episode was really slow after they left Bly, hamfisted and over explained, and I don't think the resolution was satisfying enough. They also messed up the casting for present Owen super bad, they look nothing alike.

Overall the show was just okay, Hill House was better but Hill House's ending was bad too. Both of them found their stride around episode 5-6 and then just went down.
    I liked the ending of Hill House.

Bly should have ended with Dani seeing the faceless lady's reflection in the door of the shop. It wouldn't have explained the framing device, obviously, but leaving the rest unsaid would have worked better. They could've cut episode 8 in half, stuck the first half of episode 9 on there, and been done.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Here I am starting the last Series of British Bake on Netflix and I have come to enjoy Sandy and Noal(sp?), and also Paul and Pru. As you remember I didn’t dig the first 2 female host too much and can’t really say why. I enjoyed Mary as well and was said to see her go as sometimes her reactions were priceless. Anyway, so here we are and some albino large man with spectacles is now doing a bit to open the season? Had no clue what it was about, and fell flat for me as I’m American and have no clue about British goings on. Now here is Mr albino in the first judging, with a PLATE and eating while Paul and Pru do their thing. Why I never! Shoo Mr Albino, the hosts have sampled the food before, but seeing you scoffing down food while the judges are judging is annoying me, again I can’t really say why.

Anywho, my take away on the whole thing is I really like the Great British Baking Show and have become overly invested in the contestants each season. I Ike how they follow up briefly on ‘what are they doing”. I have also learned all sorts of things interesting. Biscuits = Cookies! And other naming conventions, but the interesting bits are how some things I would prefer, say softer than crunchier, they get dinged for as it’s not how it’s supposed to be. Anyway, Tatty Bye!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I decided to watch Mad Men since I dont think I ever finished it when it was on tv and I thought it was on Netflix but it turns out its now on AMC's streaming service. When will it end? And apparently you need to a cable subscription to subscribe? Craziness.

Fortunately its available via IMDB with commercials. Unfortunately those commercials kinda seem thrown in the middle of scenes.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Then we tried "The Third Day," a new horror miniseries with Jude Law, because we both like Jude Law. It sucked, though; not even worth finishing in this case. Law basically just makes a "shocked and appalled" face for hours on end, and the writing is godawful. The cinematography goes way overboard too, constantly overusing blur effects, bright lights and other tricks that I think are meant to be disorienting but are mostly just annoying. It's especially unnecessary in light of the fact that there are a lot of visually appealing scenes; if someone had told whoever filmed/produced it to just chill out a bit and keep things simple it would have looked much better IMO. After the third episode, where every fifteen minutes was another shocking revelation, each of which felt sillier than the last and each of which left Law with a bigger D: face, we gave up.

The Third Day actually gets a bit better. The whole series is two separate but connected stories. The first three episodes are with Jude Law as the main protagonist. The last three are with Naomie Harris and Nico Parker and those have been outstanding so far.

The real treat of the series, however was a TWELVE HOUR LIVESTREAM in one continuous take of (spoilers for the first three episodes):
    Jude Law doing a bunch of trials to prove he is the new leader of the island. This involved things like:
    - Him digging his own grave for two hours
    - Dragging a boat across a muddy plain
    - Being buried in said grave he dug
    - Other random ceremonies

There were multiple points you could see that his body was actually just giving out on him. It was physically taxing in a way I've never seen. At one point I think he legit collapsed. Put that on top of 12 straight hours of him being in character and it was a real different kind of event.

Jude Law deserves some kind of award for that particular performance, imo. Dude laid it all out there, acting and absolutely wearing himself out for 12 straight hours

ObiFett on
  • Options
    The Great British Bake is doing brownies. Yumm! But WTF how can they be too sweet!?!?! GIMMIE a sweet gooey brownie with sweet icing on top and sweet stuff added on top of that!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    The Great British Bake is doing brownies. Yumm! But WTF how can they be too sweet!?!?! GIMMIE a sweet gooey brownie with sweet icing on top and sweet stuff added on top of that!

Trust me, there is such a thing as dessert which is too rich and too sweet and it hurts to eat.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    When you take a bite and your teeth scream, you'll know

And you'll wish for the blissful existence of when you didn't know teeth could scream

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Also just taste-wise it's very easy for something to be too sweet.

It's why you try and get a nice balance of cake and icing when making a cake for instance.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Disney plus has all the simpsons tree house of horror episodes neatly organized in a single splash banner which is super convenient

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Oh I was curious about that, good to know

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Frosted brownies are trash trying to cover up poor craftsmanship.

It's not a fucking brownie if you frost it, it's cake.

Italian bakeries fuck off.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

This is a filthy lie

Brownies with chocolate icing are the best

Next you'll be trying to tell me scotcheroos are cake because they have a layer of chocolate on top!

...crap now I wanna make a pan of scotcheroos

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Tree House of Horror 1 (Season Two Episode 3) is amazing. The Edgar Allen Poe narrated by James Earl Jones, just good shit

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

This is a filthy lie

Brownies with chocolate icing are the best

Next you'll be trying to tell me scotcheroos are cake because they have a layer of chocolate on top!

...crap now I wanna make a pan of scotcheroos

That's a nice tray bake, it's not a brownie.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Cake sucks

Pie FOREVER

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Tree House of Horror 1 (Season Two Episode 3) is amazing. The Edgar Allen Poe narrated by James Earl Jones, just good shit

Castellaneta did a pretty amazing job of that, it just rolls off Homer's tongue so impressively.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    There is only one show with the Dexter that is worthy of the name; Dexter's Laboratory.

If this is a gritty live action reboot... count me out.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    So many wrong opinions about too sweet. I’ll take em all. You with your finicky tastes can leave them all for me. I’ve yet to run into something too sweet to eat, unless it’s just poorly made and over use of actual sugar. Gimmie Icing, Glaze, Candied things, Ganache, Fondant, Jellies, Jams, Sprinkles, or whatever!

I’ve happily eaten Memphis Mafia fritter from Voodoo Donuts, the chocolate layer cake with mousse and ganache from Cheesecake Factory and just about any other deserts from chain restaurants.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I decided to watch Mad Men since I dont think I ever finished it when it was on tv and I thought it was on Netflix but it turns out its now on AMC's streaming service. When will it end? And apparently you need to a cable subscription to subscribe? Craziness.

Fortunately its available via IMDB with commercials. Unfortunately those commercials kinda seem thrown in the middle of scenes.

Wait, imdb has a streaming service now?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    <not chat>

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Wait, imdb has a streaming service now?

Yeah, its basically what Hulu was.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    And every bit as obnoxiously intrusive with ads.

• Options

Better video quality though. May just be because it's been a decade or more since I tried old Hulu.

• Options
    Ok I’m all caught up on the Great British Bake thing. I need a new thing to watch/background. Suggestions?

Things I remember already watching:
    Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    Most or all of Star treks
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Ok that’s all I can remember without doing a deep dive in Netflix watch list

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ok I’m all caught up on the Great British Bake thing. I need a new thing to watch/background. Suggestions?

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Would I Lie To You? is some excellent light entertainment. I don't think it's on Netflix, but I think you can find pretty much all of it on Youtube, if you're in the US. Might be blocked in other countries, though. The show gets a bit better in later seasons, imo. Rob Brydon comes in to host around series 3 I think and I think the show had coalesced by then.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dammit, Bly Manor, I can believe in ghosts and spectres but not an Englishman in the 80’s saying “do the math”.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Better video quality though. May just be because it's been a decade or more since I tried old Hulu.

Also they're doing the new Leverage series so I at least have to use them for that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

End of the fucking world was really good and I'm pretty sure season 2 is coming out soon.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

End of the fucking world was really good and I'm pretty sure season 2 is coming out soon.

Seen it!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Would I Lie To You? is some excellent light entertainment. I don't think it's on Netflix, but I think you can find pretty much all of it on Youtube, if you're in the US. Might be blocked in other countries, though. The show gets a bit better in later seasons, imo. Rob Brydon comes in to host around series 3 I think and I think the show had coalesced by then.

Thanks but not in the mood for a game show. I’ll put it on my list to check out though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Unicorn is a sitcom with Walton Goggins as a widower and makes good background viewing on Netflix

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Thanks but not in the mood for a game show. I’ll put it on my list to check out though.

It’s barely a game show, more a group of comedians telling outrageous lies and trying to outfunny each other.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Dammit, Bly Manor, I can believe in ghosts and spectres but not an Englishman in the 80’s saying “do the math”.

seriously it took me right out of the entire episode, he says it about 5 times!

and from an actual english actor as well, who almost certainly would have told them that nobody in Britain would speak like that

that kind of stuff in TV/movies actually bothers me quite a bit

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Is press your luck streaming anywhere ? It got brought back. Was always my favorite game show.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Can confirm that the last two episodes of Bly Manor are straight up garbage.
    The actual backstory they tell in episode 8 is interesting and kind of cool, but a) it should have been sprinkled throughout the series and left for the viewer to piece together, and b) even if they were dead set on going the infodump route, it could've been told in 20 minutes. As it was, it was just boring as shit.

Also, the frame story was bad. The idea that these people would just sit there while some rando (as far as they know) tells them a 5 hour long super depressing "love story" is ridiculous. "OH HEY, YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED, FUCK YOU, HERE'S A STORY ABOUT HORRIBLE TRAGEDIES."

Also also, the fuck was the point of Dani being haunted by her ex? It wound up having no relevance to anything and was just an excuse to have Creepy Glasses Man throw some jump scares.

Hill House didn't end great, but this was a goddamn travesty after half a dozen episodes of good build up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.