As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Low Bar: Cleared!

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I knew it wasn't going to be on tv, still sad can't see the dolphins game though

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    LOLJETS!

Flacco gets an illegal motion penalty as the quarterback.

But it's declined, because the center snapped it along the ground in an uncatchable fashion, and Flacco had to drop on the ball to stop it being recovered by Miami, for a loss of 7, to bring up 4th down, now outside FG range.

Then they get a penalty on the punt, because giving the opponent more yardage via penalty, why not.

Kinda unfair that the AFC East and a few other teams get to play this wholely uncompetitive team.

MorganV wrote: »
    LOLJETS!

But it's declined, because the center snapped it along the ground in an uncatchable fashion, and Flacco had to drop on the ball to stop it being recovered by Miami, for a loss of 7, to bring up 4th down, now outside FG range.

Then they get a penalty on the punt, because giving the opponent more yardage via penalty, why not.

Kinda unfair that the AFC East and a few other teams get to play this wholely uncompetitive team.

In some ways it hurts miami. They're likely to win both games vs the jets, giving them more wins, and a worse draft pick

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    LOLJETS!

In some ways it hurts miami. They're likely to win both games vs the jets, giving them more wins, and a worse draft pick

The Dolphins seem fine though, Flores has been pretty good and still flying under the radar

I would be very surprised if Tua the football robot ended up being healthy and bad- if they keep riding Fitzmagic to let Tua get healthy, I think he ends up being a great QB

LOLJETS!

The Dolphins seem fine though, Flores has been pretty good and still flying under the radar

I would be very surprised if Tua the football robot ended up being healthy and bad- if they keep riding Fitzmagic to let Tua get healthy, I think he ends up being a great QB

One can hope. The guy picked behind Tua is looking pretty good.

As a miami fan I hate brady even though he's probably the greatest of all time. I love gronk though, love watching him play. Not sure I like him coming back I was happy he got out of the league healthy. He's a meathead, but he's an awesome guy it seems.

Are the fans there at the tampa gb game? The fan noise sounds different and louder from what I'm used to.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah they have a limited crowd, but looking at the stands it looked like way more than I'd consider safe.

camo_sig2.png
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Yeah they have a limited crowd, but looking at the stands it looked like way more than I'd consider safe.

Because Florida.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I loved pretty much everything about that GB-TB game.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    LOLJETS!

Miami also have the Texans' (who are currently 1-5 and completely rudderless without either a GM or a HC, and largely talentless outside of Watson) next two first round picks, and their rebuild is already coming around nicely. Miami is way, way better than their current reputation seems to be

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    And tua got a snap.. It was.a completed pass! 100% completion rate best qb ever.

Miami future seems bright

You can't give that up on 4th and 2

Tough break for la. They should have had a TD on 3rd down, then a touchback instead of them having the ball at the 2..

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tough break for la. They should have had a TD on 3rd down, then a touchback instead of them having the ball at the 2..

On the one hand they've said some tough breaks, but on the other hand they've played very poorly.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    This is by far the worst I've seen Kupp play for sure

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    lmao @ the refs having to review that pass Garappolo threw because it looked like a fumble, and then they showed a slow-motion replay of that pass so we all got to see it a dozen times.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I loved pretty much everything about that GB-TB game.

As a Packers fan I feel the complete opposite!

camo_sig2.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Reminder that there are two games on tonight.

I was gonna say "are you sure about that" when I saw the 5:15 matchup but then I remembered the Cardinals are 3-2 and the Cowboys are leading their division.

With the first game starting in 20 minutes.

It doesn't surprise me that the NFL only gives a crap about east coast markets, but it's pretty garbage when it's the central and west coast teams that are the primary draw.

OK, the Bills aren't militantly mediocre like they were, but still, if people are working, a Bills fan might miss the opening drive, the Chiefs fan is probably missing most of the first half.

And fucking Cowboys getting the prime timeslot, enough said about that bullshit persisting, year after year.

I see the same argument locally with the Australian football. Collingwood, year after year, getting premium games. Why? Because they're the most popular, despite only rare moments of above average play over the past seven decades (two championships since the late 50's). Why are they the most popular? Is it because they're always getting premium games? Just booshii.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bills fans will probably want to miss them getting their asses kicked by the chiefs. Like I can imagine they'll probably go on a losing streak equal to their fraudulent winning streak.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bills fans will probably want to miss them getting their asses kicked by the chiefs. Like I can imagine they'll probably go on a losing streak equal to their fraudulent winning streak.

After the Chiefs they get to play the Jets so losing, yes, streak, no.

Plus, the Bills beat the Raiders and the Raiders beat the Chiefs, so by the transitive property they've already won.

admanb on
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

Given the weather, I'm not sure it won't be a close game. Looks f'n miserable, and both QB's have been off their game.

EDIT: Why do I fucking comment. Clyde Edwards-Helaire looks like he's got a rocket up his ass.

PREEMPTIVE ANTICIPATORY EDIT BASED ON MY PREDICTIVE HISTORY: CEH just fumbled.

MorganV on
    That Diggs TD was pretty f'n awesome.

Josh Allen might not be the best QB in the league, but his receivers are really helping with shit like that.

Andy Reid hoppin' mad over not getting a measurement on a 4th-and-inches that (a) would not have overruled the first down and (b) was actually a very generous spot.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Andy Reid hoppin' mad over not getting a measurement on a 4th-and-inches that (a) would not have overruled the first down and (b) was actually a very generous spot.

Not an exaggeration. He was actually hopping.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    215 yds rushing and over 7 yards a carry, before we add Leveon Bell...I am so tumescent right now.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    215 yds rushing and over 7 yards a carry, before we add Leveon Bell...I am so tumescent right now.

Yeah, if Bell is at his worst Pittsburgh level physically, he's going to be very useful.

His stats might not be great, given the weapons Mahomes has and the ability to spread it around, but fuck me, how do you defend against Kelce, Clyde, Hill AND Bell, all on the field at the same time?

I wanna see him take off, just to stick it to the Jets. Other teams have been mismanaged in the past, but what Gase has done (and been allowed to do), is almost criminal.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    One of the stupidest things about the dumpster fire that is the Jets is rhe fact that as pants on head as Gase has been, O'Brien in Houston actually was worse this off season.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    One of the stupidest things about the dumpster fire that is the Jets is rhe fact that as pants on head as Gase has been, O'Brien in Houston actually was worse this off season.

Oh, I'm not defending the Texans. But even during those losses, they showed some glimmer of hope on occassion. Three of their five losses were by 8pts or less. The other two losses were against the Chiefs and Ravens. Can't really hang them for that, though Bobbo definitely needed to get arsed.

I've seen nothing from the Jets that has me thinking similar. And there's not even any spark of potential.

Yeah, if Bell is at his worst Pittsburgh level physically, he's going to be very useful.

His stats might not be great, given the weapons Mahomes has and the ability to spread it around, but fuck me, how do you defend against Kelce, Clyde, Hill AND Bell, all on the field at the same time?

I wanna see him take off, just to stick it to the Jets. Other teams have been mismanaged in the past, but what Gase has done (and been allowed to do), is almost criminal.

That’s almost as good a skill group as the Browns have

That’s almost as good a skill group as the Browns have

Maybe. Maybe not.

Doesn't change that for as good as Baker may be, he's no Mahomes. And for as much as Andy Reid gets derided sometimes (clock management), he's definitely a great coach.

The answer to "how do you defend against X skill players" is always "crush the offensive line." Ultimately everything else flows from that.

edited October 2020
    Baker Mayfield is not good, I was excluding QBs from that comparison

Baker is around the 26th best starter right now which is an improvement from last year

Captain Inertia on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so did the chiefs oline just look completely different this week or was it the bills not being able to pressure like the raiders were?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    The answer to "how do you defend against X skill players" is always "crush the offensive line." Ultimately everything else flows from that.

Pushing quarterbacks out of the pocket leads to them either taking hits more often, throwing across their bodies or off their backfoot or into worse coverage situations.

Better teams can maybe hang in there but it will make everyone more mortal - both Giants Superbowl wins vs Brady has him under pressure and getting touched constantly.

Also offensive lineman who are getting schooled are more likely to jump a count and to hang onto Jerseys so even vs a quarterback with great legs you can get them into 3rd and long.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited October 2020
    Wtf was that. You audible out when there's 9 in the box. Great start to the 2 minute warning

Wow dallas looks so bad tonight. Dalton's a good qb too and not like the Cardinals are playing amazingly.

I almost feel like the cowboys deserve it for not paying dak.

RickRude on
    Just saw a guy in the stands with a yankees face mask on. Couldn't help but thing

"Bandwagon much?". 2 of the more succesfull teams in sports, and you're a fan of both. Makes total sense

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Just saw a guy in the stands with a yankees face mask on. Couldn't help but thing

"Bandwagon much?". 2 of the more succesfull teams in sports, and you're a fan of both. Makes total sense

Goes with his Laker jersey.