As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I refuse to get my hopes up so I can be pleasantly surprised if it ends up being even half good

Though I hope this means we get some dope bullet time video games

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    hoping its better than the sequels

Zavian on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't feel anything watching the Resurrections trailer. I don't want a soft reboot or having to go through the red dab for an hour again, and the action scenes in the second half don't have any weight to them in being new because the rest of the industry finally caught up to what was done 20 years ago. I do like the use of White Rabbit finally, way better than Dragula.

Where is Cowboy Curtis?!?!?!

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The new Matrix premise is pretty fun, I was worried when the movie was first announced but pretty hyped now.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    also the whole 'soft reboot of a beloved classic paired with slowed down classic rock' is a trailer genre now unto itself

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I could really do for never hearing that hippy song about that belligerent rodent and it's drug addled friends.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    "white rabbit" isn't just any old song though- the alice in wonderland stuff is integral to the story of matrix 1. "follow the white rabbit" and all that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    New Morpheus is throwing me off but otherwise it has my attention.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "white rabbit" isn't just any old song though- the alice in wonderland stuff is integral to the story of matrix 1. "follow the white rabbit" and all that

Yeah I'd agree that it is overused because it is, but it fits really well with the motifs of the original using Alice and the White Rabbit to bring Neo to Trinity in the first place.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    New Morpheus is throwing me off but otherwise it has my attention.

I STILL wonder if someone isn't pulling a fast one on us.. At the end of matrix 3
    trinity and neo were dead, and morpheus was alive. Now only those two are there, and everyone else isn't?

Also lol @ this scene from the trailer
    vrt05h4zhq2q.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Like.. i can see a twist coming where
    Neo and Trinity ARE dead, and only their minds remain, in a remnant of the matrix
    We do see trinity waking up, but why would the machines not be able to clone bodies?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The new Matrix premise is pretty fun, I was worried when the movie was first announced but pretty hyped now.

Based on the trailer I don't really know what the premise is, beyond "remember The Matrix?".

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Ehhhh, we'll see, but this isn't doing it for me.
    Looks like what I was afraid of- fun action shlock but no conceptually interesting premise. It's really just "Neo is old/sedated and has to re-discover the Matrix again"? Sounds like a recipe for hitting all the same beats as the first movie. There's even another dojo scene, but the entire dojo explodes this time wooooaaaaahhhhhhh.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    well the trailer sure is popular, it's at 1.1 million views already

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I am saying this now to mark it for all time, the first company to start making trailers with eurobeat will pull 2019 blockbuster numbers.

I did it as a joke, but put Deja Vu to the trailer and it's immediately better and it actually syncs up pretty well until the dojo, and even then it can work with a little touch up. And fuck off Olivia Rodrigo for making a song called Deja Vu you don't get to do that just to syphon off views, shame, shame.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aight so I watched that trailer twice, the first time I thought it looked fucking terrible, devoid of any reason for existing and kinda annoyed me that they're doing it.

The second time I was all excited and totally on board. So. Whoo!

Still, Keanu keeping his John Wick hair is a bit of a red flag, feels like not wanting to commit to this other thing. Plus only one Wachowski Sister?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ehhhh, we'll see, but this isn't doing it for me.
    Looks like what I was afraid of- fun action shlock but no conceptually interesting premise. It's really just "Neo is old/sedated and has to re-discover the Matrix again"? Sounds like a recipe for hitting all the same beats as the first movie. There's even another dojo scene, but the entire dojo explodes this time wooooaaaaahhhhhhh.

While I wasn't very hyped by that trailer myself, I can't imagine it's going to end up just being that.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I am saying this now to mark it for all time, the first company to start making trailers with eurobeat will pull 2019 blockbuster numbers.

I did it as a joke, but put Deja Vu to the trailer and it's immediately better and it actually syncs up pretty well until the dojo, and even then it can work with a little touch up. And fuck off Olivia Rodrigo for making a song called Deja Vu you don't get to do that just to syphon off views, shame, shame.

I actually wrote a song called Deja Vu and I’m hoping to make it big in the international trap electronica country-rap world. The lyrics:

Vu Vu Deja Vu
    Do the Deja Vu
    Merrily merrily merrily merrily
    Deja Vu-Vu-Vu

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Neo and Trinity ARE dead, and only their minds remain, in a remnant of the matrix
    We do see trinity waking up, but why would the machines not be able to clone bodies?
    Given neo-Morpheus, I'm going to say it's one of the later generations of the Matrix and destiny has rebirthed Neo and Trinity.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    apparently, much of the plot has already been leaked, so be aware of spoilers online. all my speculation up there happened before reading any of the spoilers, as I'm trying to avoid them

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    apparently, much of the plot has already been leaked, so be aware of spoilers online. all my speculation up there happened before reading any of the spoilers, as I'm trying to avoid them

See the thing is, Matrix was one of the original ARG campaigns. I'm betting 100% of what is getting "leaked" right now is BS.

COVID lockdown would be the perfect time to get everyone logging into websites again to hunt easter eggs.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    There's a shot in the trailer where
    SWAT are invading a room where someone was watching the scene from The Matrix where the mirror goes down his throat.
    I'm expecting some serious meta vibes.

Also, Jessica Henwick looks beautiful.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SWAT are invading a room where someone was watching the scene from The Matrix where the mirror goes down his throat.

yeah apparently in this version of the matrix, trailer spoiler
    the movie matrix exists
    ck0hsr37xjzj.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

the movie matrix exists
    ck0hsr37xjzj.png

See I'm thinking
    They're just showing him pieces of his former life. I think that's what's up with the mirror when Keanu changes characters in the reflection. I think last time, the humans won, the machines said "humans will be given a choice" and now all we saw in the trailer was a bunch of people staring into their phones. I think the matrix did give people a choice, and like we joke here, people stayed.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    I'm kinda hoping that
    The film itself doesn't exist in the world. That's a little too much for me. Like having Julia Roberts pretend to be herself in Ocean's Twelve. Just kinda put off by that idea lol.

I agree with amateur though, I think it would be better to show this Neo the events from The Matrix to help jog his memory and remember what's going on.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There is a shot in the trailer of Neo on what looks like a robot version of life support.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Huh. Now I want to reinstall Cyberpunk.

Thanks Keanu.

• Options
    I'm kinda hoping that
    The film itself doesn't exist in the world. That's a little too much for me. Like having Julia Roberts pretend to be herself in Ocean's Twelve. Just kinda put off by that idea lol.

I agree with amateur though, I think it would be better to show this Neo the events from The Matrix to help jog his memory and remember what's going on.

I mean that's literally what they did in Matrix 2, so I don't see them changing up the premise. I think the machines found a new way to do shit, and as it's been said
    Trinity and Neo are still in the Matrix, spiritually. Fuck they may have always been in there spiritually since the first incarnation.

Trinity and Neo are Adam and Eve

• Options
    I think also one of the big things to the Matrix is "your physical body is not who you are" so when we see Neo and Trinity in the trailer, it could be randos like in WW84 that just have N and T plugged into their heads, like how the agents work.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm kinda hoping that

TBF, when the Matrix came out, I'm sure people said that film was released to make us not realize we are actually in the Matrix. If you release the original film as propaganda and someone comes up to you saying they're Neo and escaping from Agents, they're gonna think you're a stupid fanboy.

Not that that is what I'm thinking is happening btw.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I think that the trailer offered nothing at all of the premise except "this is the matrix, again!" but also, I'm now very excited for the Matrix, again. It looks colorful and the action sequences seem like they're inventive. I'm happy to go into that without a clear idea of the premise in the hopes that it's something very neat.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I think that the trailer offered nothing at all of the premise except "this is the matrix, again!" but also, I'm now very excited for the Matrix, again. It looks colorful and the action sequences seem like they're inventive. I'm happy to go into that without a clear idea of the premise in the hopes that it's something very neat.

I like, and I know it's a first trailer, but while we did still see the harvest fields, it looks like this Matrix isn't gonna be "last stand at Zion 2.0" which for me is what kinda killed the third movie.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    no hugo weaving :(

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

the movie matrix exists
    ck0hsr37xjzj.png

See I'm thinking
    They're just showing him pieces of his former life. I think that's what's up with the mirror when Keanu changes characters in the reflection. I think last time, the humans won, the machines said "humans will be given a choice" and now all we saw in the trailer was a bunch of people staring into their phones. I think the matrix did give people a choice, and like we joke here, people stayed.

That would match up with what the pre-trailer website showed.

https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/
    Choose the red pill and you get a Morpheus-like voice telling you it's not actually the current time and reality isn't what you think it is.
    Choose the blue pill and you get a psychiatrist voice telling you that reality is right here and right now and fiction can be dangerous when you lose your ability to distinguish between it and reality.
    It seems that in-Matrix, people are given the choice. Maybe Neo's memory/soul/code (or whatever you want to call it) exists as a program within the Matrix now, his role is to insure that the choice is given and made freely. Neo-Morpheus finds some records from Zion and sets out to reawaken Neo and rekindle the war with the machines because he feels that humanity, even though they've been given a choice, has largely chosen wrong.

It might make for an interesting dichotomy to the first 3 movies where the machines are the villains and the human resistance are the good guys to see the Matrix Humans fight to stay in while the resistance seeks to tear everything down around them.

I don't know, I'm not a screen writer.
    I know I'm going to watch this movie. I hope it'll be in a theater.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I really liked the trailer until we got recast reborn morpheus and then a series of recreations of scenes from Matrix 1. It felt like they were gonna do something new and then WHOOPS NEVERMIND, the producers said it wasn't matrix-y enough.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Of all the characters in the original trilogy to return (or not), Agent Smith seems the most likely to be permanently gone.

I wonder what ever happened with that old theory that Agent Smith was The One, not Neo.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

He'll show up in a surprise mid-credit scene exhorting Neo to cast the "One USB Key into the Firewall".

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So it’s The Matrix: The Force Awakens. Yawn. Going to read spoilers to see if I guessed the twist.

EDIT: I’m going to spoiler my response to the spoilers. I’m not putting any of the actual spoilers, just in case.
    I guessed one twist. I did not guess the twists (plural) because they are so dumb and boring. Nothing interesting. Super hard pass.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The first trilogy ended up far too loopy and pretentious for me to care about this one. I'll probably watch them at some point, but the whole Matrix thing was faaaaar more style than substance on basically every level, including all the ancillary materials and games and whatnot. It all was always too busy trying to look cool with a message to actually have much of any kind of message.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    That matrix trailer is up there with inception and dark knight for trailers getting my hyped for a movie

I feel 16 again and I am so pumped

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
This discussion has been closed.