As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I cannot believe the makers of that nightmare went on to get paid by the military to make socialization training games for soldiers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I cannot believe the makers of that nightmare went on to get paid by the military to make socialization training games for soldiers

what the hell even is that

do that have to kiss each other or something where can i play this kiss all the soldiers game

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, part of what I liked about the pitch is the presumed lack of murder

It's still a high stakes situation for the characters where things can go very wrong, but it's not like if you fail stealth you're going to get shot (or, conversely, when you fail stealth you can just murder the person who spotted you instead)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Among Us, except instead of murdering people the infiltrator is trying to get everyone to kick in for a sheet cake without alerting the birthday bean.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Honestly it's a shame the pitch of "spies vs mercs but it's a romcom/teen comedy/stoner comedy situation which could be solved if anyone talked out their problems" looks like cheap steamshite.

Because the idea of playing some dumb "Lets get wasted at the upper middle class kids house while he's parents are out of town, OH NO THE PARENTS ARE BACK RAPIDLY CLEAN UP" thing sounds hilarious.

Damn I like this pitch even more

I'd add in playing the party segment, which involves getting points for drinking a lot and doing well at (drinking) minigames and such

And then after a randomly determined number of minutes the parents get back and you have to clean everything and hide and all that, with obvious penalties if you're too drunk or anything like that

And the points don't matter unless you actually pull it off and fool the parents into thinking nothing was happening

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I am given to understand that in the new Assassins Creed there is a bit where you beat up a bishop while a dude goes "smack my bishop" which seems like it would have been pretty haggard in Duke Nukem Forever

This is deliberately a Keith Flint homage. He has the hair. If you blow up a thing nearby he calls you a firestarter. When the side mission is done a completion title comes up on screen, and this one is called The Prodigy.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Honestly it's a shame the pitch of "spies vs mercs but it's a romcom/teen comedy/stoner comedy situation which could be solved if anyone talked out their problems" looks like cheap steamshite.

Because the idea of playing some dumb "Lets get wasted at the upper middle class kids house while he's parents are out of town, OH NO THE PARENTS ARE BACK RAPIDLY CLEAN UP" thing sounds hilarious.

Oh hey, I had a game idea very similar to this years ago based on a high school friend of mine whose parents had season basketball tickets and he would throw, like, three hour ragers at his house while they were gone and then clean up quickly before they got home.

In general I would like games with lower stakes where violence isn't the default verb. Just, uhhhhh, not like that cheating game.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I'd add in playing the party segment, which involves getting points for drinking a lot and doing well at (drinking) minigames and such

And then after a randomly determined number of minutes the parents get back and you have to clean everything and hide and all that, with obvious penalties if you're too drunk or anything like that

And the points don't matter unless you actually pull it off and fool the parents into thinking nothing was happening

Cop shows up at the door and one of the players, the least drunk preferably, has to go talk to them and keep them from finding out what's happening inside.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Cop shows up at the door and one of the players, the least drunk preferably, has to go talk to them and keep them from finding out what's happening inside.

With the Tony Hawk balancing-a-grind mechanic to maintain your balance as you sway in front of the cop

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

With the Tony Hawk balancing-a-grind mechanic to maintain your balance as you sway in front of the cop

Implement the timed dialogue options from the Telltale Game of Thrones games.

Gotta safely navigate the conversation with the insipid cop.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Reminds me of one of my favourite level gimmicks in Clandestine.

Where I walk up to the front desk and it starts some spy dialogue. So I say I've got an appointment etc etc.

And then my co-op partner *freaks the fuck out* because the full netmap for that level only appears upon dialogue starting and he has to rapidly find out details of possible appointments I can feed to keep the charade going.

Man, speaking of games I wish just had a better version made: Clandestine.

EDIT: Also playing the party would take too long for multiplayer. So instead each party player gets handed a hand of cards (the host has some pre-panic cleaning ones) and can play up to 3 of them in like, 15 seconds. With the full reveal only happening at the end.

To simulate the "wait we went *how far?*" level of conversation quickly.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    "Heavily inspired by Breath of the Wild"

No that shit is straight up ripping off Breath of the Wild. Slow time on dodge, Sheikah Slate physics abilities, stamina based climbing and gliding, shrines, etc. At least Genshin Impact did a couple twists on some of these rather than just slapping a skin on and declaring it their original work.

There's no weapon degradation and you can customize your character so it's automatically better than breath of the wild. No gacha either so it's also better than genshin.

Shame about the ubisoft part, which plummets it back down again.

I don't know about the no gacha part, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I'm fully expecting this thing to be stuffed full of microtransactions

Microtransactions are bad. Gacha is worse.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

Blur the answer options or force people to rearrange words into actual sentences on this part.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Make a minigame where you have to suddenly pee mid party, there are 6 toilets, 5 are occupied, you have time to check 3...

Talk about tension

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Make a minigame where you have to suddenly pee mid party, there are 6 toilets, 5 are occupied, you have time to check 3...

Talk about tension

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Shit_Your_Pants

• Options

Talk about tension

Personally I was thinking about moving too quickly while cleaning and suddenly getting a nausea alert and having 30 seconds to find a place to ralph

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That classic prequel to Rogue Legacy.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

No that shit is straight up ripping off Breath of the Wild. Slow time on dodge, Sheikah Slate physics abilities, stamina based climbing and gliding, shrines, etc. At least Genshin Impact did a couple twists on some of these rather than just slapping a skin on and declaring it their original work.

There's no weapon degradation and you can customize your character so it's automatically better than breath of the wild. No gacha either so it's also better than genshin.

Shame about the ubisoft part, which plummets it back down again.

I don't know about the no gacha part, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I'm fully expecting this thing to be stuffed full of microtransactions

Microtransactions are bad. Gacha is worse.

They're not exclusive is the thing, since a microtransaction store can easily have a "random loot box" that is honestly far worse odds than any mobile gacha on the market.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    don't shit your pants is one of my favorite games ever

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    don't shit your pants is one of my favorite games ever

we're talking video games in here tho please put down the scotch and baked beans sir

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    "Run around a house and try do things" games seem to be gaining in popularity. Theyre relatively simple to make, often using assets, and they seem to do well with streamers.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Divinity 2 update:

I am finally, finally, finally, finally on the mainland.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    like, the audacity of including an obtuse reference to a song most zoomers have never heard is kinda incredible honestly

several of the trade goods reference bands. The nails, for example, are noted as being nine inches.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Divinity 2 update:

I am finally, finally, finally, finally on the mainland.

but are you really

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There's also a bunch of different combat abilities in Fenyx, I'm kind of looking forward to checking it out

Really liking this trend of "BotW-but-Good" games

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/30/21726495/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-launch-date-price

Flight Simulator VR update drops December 23rd, includes support for all VR headsets (Oculus, Vive, Index, etc.)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am given to understand that in the new Assassins Creed there is a bit where you beat up a bishop while a dude goes "smack my bishop" which seems like it would have been pretty haggard in Duke Nukem Forever

This is deliberately a Keith Flint homage. He has the hair. If you blow up a thing nearby he calls you a firestarter. When the side mission is done a completion title comes up on screen, and this one is called The Prodigy.

Well I went from hating it to loving it from your post, thanks.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Well I went from hating it to loving it from your post, thanks.

Thats amazing, Mr Puppyfucker

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

I mean it is their original work, this is how video games have been forever, if a game has good ideas other games do it. It’s the same type of game, and derivative yes, but lots of fun stuff is derivative, doesn’t make it not their original work.

Also I didn’t realise slow time on dodge was in breath of the wild first? I thought that’s been in a bunch of games?

Prohass on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    "My favourite developer copied someone else" is fine. "My favourite developer's game got copied" is a crime punishable by death. Come on, it's easy.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Boomer takes another run at the original Fallout. You guys are welcome to laugh at me or advise (without outright telling me what to do) as you see fit.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I mean it is their original work, this is how video games have been forever, if a game has good ideas other games do it. It’s the same type of game, and derivative yes, but lots of fun stuff is derivative, doesn’t make it not their original work.

Also I didn’t realise slow time on dodge was in breath of the wild first? I thought that’s been in a bunch of games?

Bayonetta (2009) seems to be an early example, where they call it 'Witch Time.'

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    nobody's saying Breath of the Wild invented it but it's clearly not an accident that it's in that game and is now in this one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Max Payne?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    All I'm going to add to the BotW argument happening is that, at least on the artistic level, Nintendo seems to have finally convinced everyone that they can be colorful and go full fairy tale with their art design.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What Zelda really needs is for link to give long melodramatic neonoir monologs over static image cutscenes

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    What Zelda really needs is for link to give long melodramatic neonoir monologs over static image cutscenes
    "Triforce.

Triforce never changes."

sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Max Payne?

max payne was certainly the earliest example I remember, and the name "bullet time" actually comes from max payne 1

I think it was the first, building on how cool it looked in matrix 1.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

"mass effect but porn" game Subverse decided to partner with Arch to show off a preview of their game

If you are unaware of who Arch is, you may work for Studio FOW because they didn't have a clue either.

Arch is a YouTuber formerly known as "Arch Warhammer" before Games Workshop forced him to remove Warhammer from his name because his political views were so abhorrent that they could not associate with him even in passing. A lot of his views are your standard mush-brained alt-right bollocks. He claims black people look strange as Space Marines. Those hulking bipedal tanks that 4K fans know as Space Marines? Yes, those are totally reasonable aesthetics but some black skin is a bridge too far for Arch.

While still on the subject of Warhammer 40K, he went to great lengths to deny that the game has fascist themes. The Imperium of Man is supposed to represent fascism left unchecked, yet it has an unfortunate track record of attracting actual fascists. If you have seen the videos of Blue Lives Matter protestors singing along to Rage Against The Machine, you will know that racists and fascists are media illiterate and cannot discern the difference between depiction and endorsement. Arch is one such moron.

He also made a video on the Christchurch shooter that managed to simultaneously deny the white nationalist radicalisation of the perpetrator but also pepper in a bunch of anti-Muslim views. Having a dig at Muslim people in a video about a massacre targetting Muslim people. Arch is a real piece of shit. On the flipside, on his second politically focused channel, he argues in favour of authoritarianism to tackle Muslim extremism. The point is that Arch does not hide his political views at all. He also has a terrible sense of graphic design if you've ever been unfortunate enough to see one of his thumbnails, are all Neo-Nazis just bad at aesthetics?

He is a persona non grata in the Warhammer 40K community, he is actually banned from being discussed on certain subreddits, and since there is some crossover between the Warhammer 40K and Subverse fandoms (not a commentary, just an observation) some fans fan brought up their concerns about Studio FOW bringing him in.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/gaming/news/sex-game-subverse-apologises-for-working-with-racist-youtuber-then-apologises-for-their-apology/

after people pointed all that out they then apologized:
    "We were not aware at the time that he had made racist and other controversial statements in the past" and "we did not look into his background as much as we could have, and we know now this was a mistake."

and then a few minutes after that decided to backtrack on their apology:
    "Hello my darlings.
    I am going to make this short, because we’ve taken up enough of your time with what has happened recently regarding Arch.
    To start, lets keep Subverse as a game for getting off on sex and not politics, it’s best for everyone.

In terms of the previous statement regarding Arch, we were bombarded suddenly with posts from different political groups, and as a result we acted in haste. After all, we are only titty software developers but suddenly we found ourselves in a political debate.

We would like to make it absolutely clear, we have no problems with Arch personally. We simply wanted him to showcase some of our gameplay together, which Arch did professionally and he was very gracious with his time.

We appreciate his time and want to say we are sorry for jumping into a politically charged situation so quickly. Subverse has no political affiliation, it’s a game to be enjoyed by everyone.

We did not want to offend any fans of Arch, he provides a platform for independent games creators like us to showcase our games.
    We love all of our fans regardless of political affiliation and we hope in due time you can forgive us for this unfortunate misunderstanding."

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-makers-of-sci-fi-sex-game-subverse-apologized-after-teaming-up-with-a-racist-youtuber-then-backtracked/

meanwhile the usual chuds on twitter can't comprehend how partnering with an outspoken racist is a bad thing

• Options
This discussion has been closed.