As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    i don't know why you casuals think you "deserve" fun or entertainment from your video games

Misery is high art.

As a Fallen London refugee

This is simply correct

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm only a level into The Ancient Gods, but it's definitely a little harder than vanilla doom eternal; primarily because there's no crucible and the BFG/Unmayker ammo is pretty scarce, but you're still running into tons of high level enemies. They do introduce new support runes, and one of them seems pretty ace.
    If you lose a life, but manage to kill the thing that took that life in short enough amount of time, you get the life back.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Well that looks dope.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm only a level into The Ancient Gods, but it's definitely a little harder than vanilla doom eternal; primarily because there's no crucible and the BFG/Unmayker ammo is pretty scarce, but you're still running into tons of high level enemies. They do introduce new support runes, and one of them seems pretty ace.
    If you lose a life, but manage to kill the thing that took that life in short enough amount of time, you get the life back.

That ones going to be handy for the 5 extra lives run, but personally I went with the shockwaves caused by hitting weak points

Also it gets unbelievably hard as you go on. The spirit possessed Barons of Hell are insane

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    My issue with Darkest Dungeon was definitely in the realm of it feeling like even if the strategy was good, but not broken, but not what they expected it was likely to be nerfed to keep the game soul crushing. It just got old after awhile.

And while I love the dlc conceptually, the vampire stuff in practice just wasn’t fun.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I felt like it was punishingly difficult right at the outset and I quickly realized I'd be going back to re-play earlier levels so that my fresh-off-the-wagon new blood didn't get instantly slaughtered in the later dungeons and just noped out.

I can't believe that got worse over time.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The fact that the culmination of every tier of Darkest Dungeon location was the same two bosses with slightly different names really felt like it was gloating about how grindy it is

I recognize that this is a sort of silly complaint, but it's one of the biggest things that indicated to me that the game didn't actually value my time

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I might actually be interested in that if they made the controls in Escape from Monkey Island not ass, but that's 100% not happening.

The Monkey Island games are one of my formative PC experiences and one of my favorite series ever.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kinda want that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    If you're interested in the upcoming 4X game HUMANKIND, there's a free beta playable on Stadia right now: https://stadia.google.com/games/humankind
    It's available to play until the 28th

• Options
    stadia...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    metal gear?!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I'm ready for RTS to be a thing again but they need to get over their "this game needs to feel like a chore to play well" mentality of they ever want them to be popular.

Edit: oh that appears to be their goal

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Who needs another reason to avoid Cyberpunk like the plague?

Well, have one anyway.

• Options
    that story is based off just this tweet

IoFzjCO.png

which isnt saying much of anything

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Isn't Dr. Disrespect still banned from Twitch and we still don't know why?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Isn't Dr. Disrespect still banned from Twitch and we still don't know why?

yup

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    He's a new character in the game Rogue Company which immediately turned me off the game.

It didn't help that it's just not that fun either.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I'm ready for RTS to be a thing again but they need to get over their "this game needs to feel like a chore to play well" mentality of they ever want them to be popular.

Edit: oh that appears to be their goal

I wonder if they can actually pull that off, rts games have always been about doing chores and spinning lots of plates while trying to knock over the plates the other person is spinning

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    that story is based off just this tweet

IoFzjCO.png

which isnt saying much of anything

Oh I know, GameRant is just ScreenRant's shitty sibling site, but well... as Steve Kim puts it.

Except it ALSO applies to the transphobic game.

• Options
    yeah, a lot of rts optimization and nuance comes from the granularity of having to manually conduct so many actions while on a strict timer

being able to make minute changes in building placement and order of operations and resource harvesting can create huge competitive advantages

which makes the games way more obtuse for new players and means you need to learn a whole set of optimization systems and stratagies before you can actually get to the commanding-your-army-bit

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Deal that's possibly only for Canadians for once, 8 packs of pizza pops come with a 14 day code for gamepass, can use on existing accounts up to twice.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Basically, they should just make World in Conflict 2 since those Ubisoft dorks are too busy shitting out grindy ass live service games anyway.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I may have spent far too much time today buying and trying on lots of clothes in RDR2.

Finally got a fancy look that I like.

My Arthur is very dapper, I have to bath him every time he gets dirty and he's always clean shaven.

I may have a problem...

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The fact that the culmination of every tier of Darkest Dungeon location was the same two bosses with slightly different names really felt like it was gloating about how grindy it is

I recognize that this is a sort of silly complaint, but it's one of the biggest things that indicated to me that the game didn't actually value my time
    No, this is a reasonable takeaway. I've always maintained that the issue with Darkest Dungeon was never so much that it was too easy or too hard, but the fact that it filled every crevice in its design with grind because they had nothing else to hold it together.

Because the campaign has no failure state, if you eat a bad death during an expedition, the consequence isn't that you're forced into tense and interesting improvisations in the next run; the consequence is that you need to waste a bunch of time grinding up a new adventurer to replace the dead one. And because that takes forever and sucks to do, in order to avoid it, you play everything slower, more tediously, and grindier to minimize risk. I could attempt this dungeon with my party as-is, or I can spend an hour grinding experience and gold to make sure everyone is maxed out first, because I have infinite time to do so. My best character got all psychologically fucked up, so I can press onward with the penalties, or throw a bunch of level one coffin-stuffers on a few runs into a trivial dungeon to kill time while the good character heals off the scars and then just delete them when she's back in action, because you have infinite recruits to do so. It all felt pointless.

In order to actually pull off the vibe they wanted the game to have, they needed to tune the whole thing more like XCOM, shorter and faster-paced with a failure state and a strong impetus to forward momentum, adjusting the mechanics and difficulty accordingly. But they were never interested in doing that, so all the changes they made to make the game with no loss condition "more challenging" could only ever have made it more tedious.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've not played the Darkest Dungeon, but doesn't this contradict their old teaser of DDII as a journey to the cold wastes in the north? I don't really have a dog in this, but the previous teaser trailer was pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/JlGMsJgyORk

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    A tense multiplayer FPS set in the brutal, bloody trenches of WW1. In battles up to 50v50, players will be immersed in cinematic environments that convey the desperate & brutal circumstances of the Great War. Features an authentic arsenal & a unique melee combat system. But I'm a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph Make music that's fire, spit my soul beyond the wire
    20201021 Beyond the Wire (Multiplayer, First person, WW1, Trenches)

I'm gonna play this because I enjoy the tactical shooty shooties and digging sandbags but I'm still bummed Post Scriptum seems to be getting left to die.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    oh hey, i'm currently back at my third biennial "okay, this time i'm gonna finish it" darkest dungeon run and i've got some beef to add

this time i've actually almost managed to hit a satisfying rotation of upgrades/not having to put off boss fights for a million years, by prioritizing the barracks size upgrades before literally anything else and also trying to cycle through the four environments at roughly the same rate. But it's gonna be close, i think i'm at the second to last party housing upgrade and there are...three(?) bosses left in their lowest form. If i don't carefully ladle out experience so as to keep everyone low-level, the kids are gonna get too haughty to fight the beginner level abominations and i'm just gonna have to fire some of them and train up a new squad or two to progress

it took me three(!) times to get this sequence anywhere near right and that blows, it's an unbelievably awkward levelling system, i guess i could be an outlier but i can't imagine most folks hit the sweet spot on this curve naturally

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Nah, the fact that actually getting better at the game and keeping your squads alive harshly punishes you for daring to have strong, well-leveled characters going into the dungeons is awful and whenever I played I always had key party members turn their nose up at dungeoneering.

I will say that is one of the few things they actually improved, though, because it was somehow even worse; previously, a level three character wouldn't go into the lowest tier of dungeon, and a level five character wouldn't go into the second tier. If you were good, you could have somebody too overleveled from tough non-boss runs to fight the boss in the same area without much in the way of grinding. Truly nightmarish.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've not played the Darkest Dungeon, but doesn't this contradict their old teaser of DDII as a journey to the cold wastes in the north? I don't really have a dog in this, but the previous teaser trailer was pretty cool.
    :mad:

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

In order to actually pull off the vibe they wanted the game to have, they needed to tune the whole thing more like XCOM, shorter and faster-paced with a failure state and a strong impetus to forward momentum, adjusting the mechanics and difficulty accordingly. But they were never interested in doing that, so all the changes they made to make the game with no loss condition "more challenging" could only ever have made it more tedious.

Isn't that why they added the other 2 different difficulties tho?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I may have spent far too much time today buying and trying on lots of clothes in RDR2.

Finally got a fancy look that I like.

My Arthur is very dapper, I have to bath him every time he gets dirty and he's always clean shaven.

I may have a problem...

My Arthur is impeccably well dressed for a man who mostly lives away from all this....civilization...

It's fun to see how people interpret his character though. I have a friend who plays Arthur as mean and rough and dirty as possible, and it feels like an entirely different game.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27i41xo0kI

look i know that mk11's guest characters are supposed to be classic 90s action movie bros

but 90s action movie bros were more than just "dude with a gun"

why not put some jean claude van damme in there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

why not put some steven seagal in there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8om1X4RMtA

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm still not sure if its intended or not, but I think it is, all modern XCOMs are significantly more challenging at the start than at the end. In part it is because they have to account for more failure than most players will see, but I think it may also be the case that they want to simulate threat more than have actual game ending scenarios.

It's ok if a run goes sideways in the first 3 missions when you don't really know what you are doing. It sucks if it all falls apart after 35 because of a bunch of bad dicerolls.
    So the game is sort of tuned where there is more enemies, with more crazy abilities around, but your tools accelerate more than theirs.

All of this is on the middle difficulties, I never did the easiest or hardest.

I replayed WotC in 2019, and I was struck by how quickly it revs things up. I'd say that every second mission something minor changes, a new enemy shows up, you unlock research, a new mission type etcet. While the game is long, it uses all those additions to keep feeling like you are on a rollercoaster.

I didn't get too far into DD, but it felt like the opposite design... a slow grueling climb uphill to have just enough ability to get past the next obstacle.
    There are some designers out there that just feel like that is what games should be. And maybe it is for a certain audience, but not for me. A similar thing is Cult Simulator, I game where I really liked the idea of slowly uncovering a branching path story of conspiracy and madness, but the actual games constantly wants me to repeat rote tasks to get to another story nugget, then tries to get tension out of a near blind choice where if I chose the wrong door I have to redo all that boring gameplay.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wait, isn't the whole point of Johnny Cage to be JCVD with the serial numbers filed off?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Would a Steven Segal character drastically change his appearance/lose weight every time an actual strike was thrown, and all of his lines were really poorly dubbed because he couldn't be bothered to return to reshoots?

This discussion has been closed.