Things in media that scared you as a kid.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    my dad showed me Alien when I was like...9 or 10, I think, and it fucked me up for years

I still occasionally have nightmares about xenomorphs

I don't really anymore but I used to have this exact thing

Also terminators. I would have dreams of trying to hide from terminators

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ghostbusters Library Ghost

The scene in Dana's apartment where she gets abducted is terrifying, too.

Honestly, considering that film has two scenes that were frightening to me, it's a wonder that I loved that film so damn much from a young age.

dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    When I was very young I would scream and run away whenever my sister showed me this album cover:

Red_Rose_Speedway.jpg

Of course, now that I'm an adult I have that reaction to all Wings albums.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
    SporkAndrewLinespider5Captain InertiaJedocJansonCurly_Brace
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular

ProlegomenaReynoldsvalhalla130DarkPrimusastrobstrdHexDexDrZiplockMagic Pink
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Only thing that sticks out in my memory was the scene in The Last Starfighter where the half-grown clone of the main character was shown. I did not like it at all.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Jandaru
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Arachnophobia fucked me up as a kid. I could deal with most fantastical horror but those goddamn spiders. Urrrghh.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    RingoDidgeridooHexDex
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the squash monster episode of jim henson's dinosaurs sitcom put me off of the vegetable for life

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Oh what really scared me as a child were the BIG BLACK BOX WARNING game genie codes that said WARNING THESE CODES MIGHT PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR GAME and they happened to also be the Mario Bros. 3 Sledgehammer Suit code so it was basically like the Nerconomicon, a tome of forbidden knowledge that would grant amazing power but at what price

I was super afraid of accidentally putting in a code and having everything fuck up. FOREVER

I would be very interested in hearing how a Game Genie code would permanently alter a cartridge.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I came to say exactly this, but was also sure that, as this had reached 2 pages, someone already would have and thus have saved me the job of looking it up.

Also, one particular episode of the Ghostbusters cartoon but I can barely remember anything about it now.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    When I was 8, my parents flipped channels quick to find me something to watch so they could visit with company. found a cute cartoon with some rabbits and walked away

About 20 minutes later I'm screaming at the top of my lungs and crying uncontrollably because it was Watership Down

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    -Loki-TofystedethLindsay LohanNothingsarukunMagic PinkJandaru
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm just wondering what website Snob is writing listicles for with the responses from these threads.

uyvfOQy.png
    WiseManTobesFlarnechr1sh4ll3ttb3SporkAndrewBahamutZEROMidniteUrielTofystedethZonugalTheStigfacetioussarukunJandaru
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It's the crying for his mother that does it

HacksawBrovid HasselsmofPeenDer Waffle Mousdarunia106
  • RingoRingo HE KEEPS REPEATING THE LINE I'M GONNA CRY BLEASE LET HIM LIVE YOU MADE ME WATCH SO MUCH KISSING IN THIS FILM LET INIGO LIVERegistered User regular
    Oh, I only found out by watching it in August that I have been repressing parts of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey since I was a child

Those scenes in Hell did a number on me

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    MegaMan001
  • chr1sh4ll3ttb3chr1sh4ll3ttb3 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    When I was very young I would scream and run away whenever my sister showed me this album cover:

Red_Rose_Speedway.jpg

Of course, now that I'm an adult I have that reaction to all Wings albums.

How DARE you!

Lost Canuck
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular

#pipeTofystedethCarpyAlexandierJandaru
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Oh actual for real when I was like 3 or 4 that Heffelumps and Woozels shit from Winnie the Pooh fucked me up.

BahamutZEROPeen
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I will always remember one particular short that they showed on TV when I was a kid.

So, it's a stop-motion thing (which already is extra uncanny valley points). About a moon man who lives on the moon. With long arms and needle fingers. And who, during the night, comes down from the moon with a rope, sneaks into windows, and plucks out children's eyeballs while they sleep with his needle fingers before going back to the moon. The kids wake up the next morning with empty eye sockets, blind and screaming.

My cousin and I refused to sleep at night for a week after that thing.

Also, Jurassic Park velociraptors caused me to carefully look up for jumping raptors before going past a flight of stairs for years.

Steam ID: Right here.
    DarkPrimusMagic Pink
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I had recurring nightmares about Thomas the tank engine.

It's the faces I bet

SporkAndrew
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I remember being really terrified by the idea of the Grim Reaper. Big skeleton in a robe with a scythe, maybe glowing eyes? The actual embodiment of Death that if he shows up to get you, show’s over?

For some reason the idea of a clothed skeleton really spooked me, or maybe it was the fact that there was no way of knowing if the Grim Reaper was just a skeleton or had other abomination qualities...

Coming around on this now I realize in truth, this was all from seeing Scrooged at an entirely too young age:

RingoBedlamsarukun
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This movie ruined my life when I was a kid for a good 3-4 months couldn't sleep alone, was wetting the bed in my sleep couldnt concentrate at school.

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I was terrified of the dark as a kid, then I saw Jaws, or part of it, and I was also terrified of the water. Even the water in the bathtub and toilets. Still have issues in deep water.

sarukun
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chucky including the big Chucky cardboard cutout unexpectedly in the blockbuster

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Captain InertiaMatevsarukun
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I swear the intro for Are You Afraid of the Dark used to have a sequence where an old doorknob had a keyhole under it that began to glow red and the doorknob would begin to rattle violently, which freaked me out more than the show.

I say used to because I’m pretty sure at some point they excised that sequence, possibly for being too intense or something.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When I was 8, my parents flipped channels quick to find me something to watch so they could visit with company. found a cute cartoon with some rabbits and walked away

About 20 minutes later I'm screaming at the top of my lungs and crying uncontrollably because it was Watership Down

Man it still gets me whenever I hear Bright Eyes.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    When I was a relatively young kid, like 8 maybe, it was Black Hole, the disney movie from the 70's. The end of the movie they fall into a black hole and it has a weird dream sequence where they seem to go to hell, that freaked me out pretty well for a while. I only just watched the movie again this year, so I could actually remember what really happened.

When I was a REALLY young kid, like maybe 3-4, it was some commercial for a toilet cleaner, where the toilet turned into a monster with teeth, chomping away. Spent the next couple years hoping my ass didn't get chomped while using the can.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    When I was like three or four, I didn't know what football shoulderpads or microphones and PA systems were, so every time a football game would come on, I thought it was like an army of giant beastman fighting each other while these other guys in stripes occasionally yelled at everyone with the voice of god.

ElTL7ou.jpg
    BahamutZEROJandaru
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This trailer got me so bad that I had to turn the tv off for a few minutes at the start of each commercial break so I didn’t accidentally see another scary trailer...for like 5 years

• JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    The bit at the end of Ghost where the dude gets dragged to hell by shrieking shadow demons messed me up for years.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Captain InertiaRingo#pipeBrovid HasselsmofHacksaw
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    adulthood

Unfortunately the most realistic fear as well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Spielberg's prestige TV series Amazing Stories came out when I was 2, but I remember my dad was obsessed with it. I'm certain we must have bought a VHS set or something because the theme song is inscribed into the old meat in my brain like a cornerstone. I remember distinctly my older brothers using it to scare me.

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    When I was like three or four, I didn't know what football shoulderpads or microphones and PA systems were, so every time a football game would come on, I thought it was like an army of giant beastman fighting each other while these other guys in stripes occasionally yelled at everyone with the voice of god.

That sounds so much cooler than real football

Ringochr1sh4ll3ttb3BahamutZEROJandaru
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I will always remember one particular short that they showed on TV when I was a kid.

So, it's a stop-motion thing (which already is extra uncanny valley points). About a moon man who lives on the moon. With long arms and needle fingers. And who, during the night, comes down from the moon with a rope, sneaks into windows, and plucks out children's eyeballs while they sleep with his needle fingers before going back to the moon. The kids wake up the next morning with empty eye sockets, blind and screaming.

My cousin and I refused to sleep at night for a week after that thing.

Also, Jurassic Park velociraptors caused me to carefully look up for jumping raptors before going past a flight of stairs for years.

I know this one, it's called 'The Sandman' and was nominated for an Oscar.

Here it is, if you want to relive the terror.

NarbusMegaMan001Magic Pink
  • AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, there was this thing they showed that played exactly like a breaking news report. It was about a meteor/asteroid/whatever that was being observed as on a possible collision course with Earth, and as it progressed it got more and more dire, and more and more obvious that it was indeed going to collide. The nations of the world attempted to blow it up with nukes I think, but it actually just blew it into a bunch of smaller asteroids that would impact the earth. Yes I know this sounds like I had a bad fever dream after watching Armageddon or something but I remember enough of it and I remember it getting so frantic and horrifying at the end and I think my parents just let me believe it was real up until like the last 10 minutes when I was freaking the hell out. Like I'm 95 percent sure this happened and 5 percent concerned it was just something my brain has made up, like amalgamating 5 other childhood traumas into one good story.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
    Jedoc
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Explains why these commercials were so unsettling.

uyvfOQy.png
    DarkPrimusMegaMan001
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Little did you know it was Bart Simpson

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    The artwork in the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books. I still can't stand like, goopy body horror type stuff.

Also Freddy Krueger. The movies never bothered me while I was awake, but I'd have nightmares about him the entire night that afterwards. Which is thematically appropriate, but extra bad for the same reason. That persisted well into college.

steam_sig.png
    Ringo
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

And Artex for existential fear.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    NarbusJedocPeenHacksawDoctorArchsarukun
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ronald Reagan

HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    Ringovalhalla130
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

And Artex for existential fear.

Falkor scared me more than anything else in that movie. Those scales and that uncanny dog face, ugh.