As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We live in interesting [Quarantimes]

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I had a friend in college who used to give the best haircuts I ever had. I never met anyone who had such an intuitive understanding of my jank-ass seven-interfering-cowlicks mop the way she did, and she'd just cut it for fun while we were all watching movies.

It's a shame she moved to San Antonio and turned into a homeopath freak, or I'd be tempted to drive down there for a trim.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    "Yes, tell me all about your magic water. Hey, while you do it, can I get a trim?"

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Just cuts a single hair, tells you the rest of them will shrink up to that size now.

Weaver on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My mom got a covid test Tuesday, got the negative result this morning.

So, just a cold after all. Plus the stress of the family fracturing because the republican members are losing their goddamn minds while also sending nasty emails at three in the morning.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Your family has each other's email addresses?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

There's only 13 of us and we all live in the same state, yes there's regular contact.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

There's only 13 of us and we all live in the same state, yes there's regular contact.

Huh. My family is mostly just not tech people I guess. Also not very talkative.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular

Woo my county didn't make the list!

Still not getting together with people tomorrow.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Huh. My family is mostly just not tech people I guess. Also not very talkative.

This is simply another fantastic 2020 event. Previous it was just my aunt as the die-hard republican and so we'd just not talk about it during get-togethers. But over the past couple years due to the influence of her libertarian techie husband my cousin has become more and more into that world. Now she and her mother (my aunt) are talking all the time about these things and it's become a feedback loop of them building up their covid hoax, stolen election horseshit ideas. Right now those two family groups are up together for christmas as normal while mine and the other family group are staying isolated for everyone's safety. I'm sure they're talking about how stupid we are for being mindless sheep.

I'd be happy cutting them out of my life entirely but my mom doesn't want to lose another sister and of course really loves her nephews that would be caught in that separation.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Covid relief as part of the budget thing is now back to being political theater between millionaires while we starve

NBC News: Pelosi says House to vote on bigger stimulus payments after GOP blocks increase.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pelosi-says-house-vote-bigger-stimulus-payments-after-gop-blocks-n1252335

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pelosi-says-house-vote-bigger-stimulus-payments-after-gop-blocks-n1252335

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I think this data should be redone, not to show the chances of someone having COVID, but the chances of you getting it from your Christmas gathering.

• Options
    I think duck has a parasite :cry:

At least he's got an appointment at the end of the month. Hopefully we can get it all cleared up.

• Options
    This is hilarious, it's Christmas, and because I said bad things about orange man on facebook my parents aren't speaking to me.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I'm still doing ring fit, but haven't noticed any difference other than my back and knees hurting more in general.

The biggest change for me has been in the strength of my legs.
    Just might need to dial the squats back a bit if your knees are hurting, or take it off silent mode

discrider on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Woo woke up with crippling back spasms, can literally only stand in place. Might be going to emerg for my Xmas. ( my Xmas is just a tiny tree built out of lego and a turkey lunchable anyway, so no big loss I guess)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Got stuff sorted.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm still doing ring fit, but haven't noticed any difference other than my back and knees hurting more in general.

Just might need to dial the squats back a bit if your knees are hurting, or take it off silent mode

Yeah it's finicky about detecting squats in general so I started avoiding them even before this. Silent mode I need on though because doing actual jogging in place makes the entire room shake and I feel like something's gonna fall over.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Wee spasms won't stop. Xmas Eve in the emergency room for me. Coupled with panic attacks over going in this wonderful quarantine time.(and all my other hospital anxieties)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    oof, that sucks

I hope you get some good care

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Yeah it's finicky about detecting squats in general so I started avoiding them even before this. Silent mode I need on though because doing actual jogging in place makes the entire room shake and I feel like something's gonna fall over.

Putting the sensor higher up your leg should make it easier for it to detect squats, or basically any leg exercise.

• Options
    So most people on the USA will be getting $600 "stimulus" of "relief" money

My retired 65 year old Boomer parents were simultaneously of the opinion it's a generous, fair amount of money and also perplexed that one could have less than $1000 in savings without being literally homeless

Pennsylvania is easing it's shutdown restrictions starting today, going back to the soft comfy partial shutdown which did nothing to mitigate transmission and got us in the current "hospitals are over capacity and converting operating room areas into inpatient areas" conundrum

• Options
    Wtf are savings?

• Options
    I'm sorry for putting that here, I really needed somewhere to talk about the conversation and I guess how many Boomers, even the well meaning ones, cannot comprehend the current state of affairs? For younger generations

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    it's hard not to get caught up in the boomerisms with financials too because they're just so prevalent

i've been adding to my stress last year by trying to catch up with all the benchmarks i'm supposed to be at now that i have a ridic salary

taking some time to think about it i've decided my mental health will probably be better if i just worry about building a decent safety net, donating 10% of my take home, and then actually trying to enjoy life with the extra

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My covid test came back negative, haroo

• Options
    That's awesome, Tube

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I didn't realise that was a video thumbnail for a while and thought you'd just posted an empty black rectangle. And I agreed with you.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    fair, yeah

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

My retired 65 year old Boomer parents were simultaneously of the opinion it's a generous, fair amount of money and also perplexed that one could have less than $1000 in savings without being literally homeless

Pennsylvania is easing it's shutdown restrictions starting today, going back to the soft comfy partial shutdown which did nothing to mitigate transmission and got us in the current "hospitals are over capacity and converting operating room areas into inpatient areas" conundrum

I often think about how my dad talked about getting a summer job to pay for college tuition.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    My parents are being very cautious, and doing a couple of days of staying isolated because they had coffee with my aunt and uncle.

Who were told that some friends they'd been hanging out with are positive. So the parental unit are waiting to hear whether aunt+uncle are negative.

This has happened 6 times or so, now. Because aunt+uncle are totally unable to limit who they spend time with. And each time, the people they spent time with 'did show symptoms, but they figured it was just a cold'.

I suggested to my mother that, just maybe, they should consider not spending time with aunt+uncle.

Also reminded her of how I had to skip Christmas, my birthday and New Years because I had a nasty cold, which turned out to be just a cold.

Gotta get your guilt trips in while you can!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular

I often think about how my dad talked about getting a summer job to pay for college tuition.

That would be one hell of a summer job.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Really interesting story about rich assholes decamping to their second homes to escape COVID, fucking up (and endangering) a community they decamped to, and the shitfit they threw about how this community owed them when the community tried to advocate for itself. A frustrating story, to be sure, but a fascinating look at how this fuckin' virus just keeps exposing the way wealth inequality is a treacherous and pervasive rot.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.1/south-economy-when-covid-hit-a-colorado-county-kicked-out-second-home-owners-they-hit-back

(also High Country News has some of the absolute best journalism going these days, incredible deep-dive reporting on a regular basis, big big fan)

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Desserted wrote: »

That would be one hell of a summer job.

It was doable in the 70's. Dad felt it was still doable in 2002. It wasn't.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I’m reminded of a friend of mine. He studied something like marine biology or paleantology; he wanted a job in the oil fields, studying fossils to find oil reserves.

He’s from Uganda originally and very dark skinned. Being an immigrant and black to boot, he was finding it difficult to crack into the industry.

He finally put the old boomer advice of, ‘don’t take no for an answer!’ He marched into the Chevron office in our City, asked to see the hiring manager. When he was told no, the manager was busy, he gave them his resume and took a seat in their lobby. They told him, after an hour, that the manager wouldn’t be available at all today. My friend told them he would just wait. After another hour they just called the cops on him!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... christ. Poor dude.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Man just when I thought the AFK Arena ads on YouTube were just about the worst ads out there along comes KingsThrone: Game of Lust.

Like, can we legislate this shit? Blatantly false, intentionally infuriating advertising for games should be illegal.

Edit: YouTube could at least let me downvote the ads I don't want to see or something. Just give me a usual dish detergent ad or those weird scat fetish bears.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... christ. Poor dude.

It was fucked! Luckily, they didn’t charge him or anything. He did get in with a junior exploration company for a few years. Last I heard he was doing research for the University of Western Australia. He basically spends 6 months of every year living on resort islands, scuba diving and fishing.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tef wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    ... christ. Poor dude.

It was fucked! Luckily, they didn’t charge him or anything. He did get in with a junior exploration company for a few years. Last I heard he was doing research for the University of Western Australia. He basically spends 6 months of every year living on resort islands, scuba diving and fishing.

ok well
    now I'm just jealous, oil industry opinions aside

This discussion has been closed.