As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We live in interesting [Quarantimes]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One thing about big dogs is they have a lot of big dog energy! My Dad's Marema is about 8 months old right now and like 80-90lbs. He looks like a full size dog already but he has endless energy, and is getting mouthy with hands and heels. We're gonna have to break him of that but they are stupid stubborn and aren't motivated by much.

I still don't think my Dad should have got him. They are an independent breed and he wants a companion. Plus a dog that is bred to protect an area likes to bark at random times through the night to defend his territory. I do not enjoy this.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    You have been chosen by the Dog.

A great honor.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I love Chumlee

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    No yeah like

I'm gonna need more info and photos of Chumlee

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Rottweilers are a fantastic Big Dog also and if I wasn't so committed to GSDs and Belgian Sheepdogs they'd probably be a breed I'd try

Very smart, very strong, extremely sweet dogs that are just pure muscle

They really are just absolutely lovely boofheads. The bad rap that they seem to get is so frustrating.

My friend’s rottie is so gentle, and has a mild case of wobbler syndrome which makes him look like he’s doing a little groove when he’s waiting for you to throw the ball.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that's how I feel about pitbulls

I've never once met a pitbull that wasn't a very good pupper who's a good pup that wants headrubs?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Rottweilers are a fantastic Big Dog also and if I wasn't so committed to GSDs and Belgian Sheepdogs they'd probably be a breed I'd try

Very smart, very strong, extremely sweet dogs that are just pure muscle

They really are just absolutely lovely boofheads. The bad rap that they seem to get is so frustrating.

My friend’s rottie is so gentle, and has a mild case of wobbler syndrome which makes him look like he’s doing a little groove when he’s waiting for you to throw the ball.

We had two go through our classes; the second unfortunately had a stroke after turning 1 and passed away and I'm still a little wrecked by the thought, honestly, she was so sweet and brilliantly smart

The first one was this big adorable Rottie that I still miss because she was also tremendously intelligent but just so stoked to see us every week! She was so strong that even though she worked amazingly on the leash, the owner put a little vest with an emergency handle on top just in case she got too excited, she ruled

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    One of my good friends grew up in Ireland on a farm with an Irish Wolf hound.

There was a photo in his apartment of this dog with his dad. The dad had convinced the dog to stand up on his hind legs and stretch out big and tall.

The dog's back feet were on the ground and his front feet were literally touching the roof of the house

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Big dog thread, I have been going round and round with my conservative dad during quarantine about basically everything from mask mandates to the economic relief bills, to the vaccines. He had been in the "other people can get it, but I'm not going to get it" camp for a while, but tonight he posted on his Facebook that he decided to get his first vaccine dose this afternoon. I'm still going to go round and round with him about basically everything, but I'm glad that he got his shot and I'm glad that he posted about it for his conservative friends to see.

• Options
    I've looked at too many dogs and I've made myself sad.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I like little dogs too!

I like terriers and moustache dogs and the shivery babies

hot dog dogs!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dogs do absolutely nothing for me. It's all about the kitties.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Big dogs kind scare me

I don't even know why

They are just intimidating

In general large dogs I find are better behaved because since they are so big it is important that they are well trained in the first place. The number of people who think training small dogs only consist of pulling them away on the lead in insane.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My neighbors have really put me off having a dog. On one side they have this tiny, incredibly loud, yappy dog. They always have a front window or screen door open in the back, so no matter where I go outside my house it just barks at me constantly and the owners just yell at it, which it ignores.

I now spent very little time in my yards because of it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I am definitely a cat person and possibly a catperson

but really, you put any animal in front of me and I'll start anthropomorphizing it and trying to pet it immediately.

dogs are generally very into that vibe so it's easy to have affection for them.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Big dogs kind scare me

I don't even know why

They are just intimidating

In general large dogs I find are better behaved because since they are so big it is important that they are well trained in the first place. The number of people who think training small dogs only consist of pulling them away on the lead in insane.

The number of marginally trained big dogs I know... :|

• Options
    edited March 2021
    No it's not cute when your 90 pound dog jumps up on me, no it's not cute when he mouths my hand, and no I'm not thrilled when he barks loudly indoors either.

edit: it's pretty funny when he tries to sit on your lap though.

Orca on
  • Options
    ah, the ol' Marmaduke, a classic.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm really just more of a cat person because typically they are more chill and laid back in my experience

Well

Duck can get a little aggressive. I keep thinking I should try those calming spray things for him.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My dog is supes aggressive.

My dog rn.

ll5us79h52y4.jpeg

• Options
    So aggressive he is climbing up the walls I guess.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    So aggressive he is climbing up the walls I guess.

Butt first, apparently

• Options
    Puppies in the elevator oh God nooo why

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My husband is allergic to cats and 😢
    I don't.. dislike dogs. I used to, but I've come around. But training a dog takes work, and I'm lazy.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    I'm really just more of a cat person because typically they are more chill and laid back in my experience

Well

Duck can get a little aggressive. I keep thinking I should try those calming spray things for him.

my li'l guy, Alan, is a scaredy cat and maybe a little feral, and his fear translates instantly into anger

so he'll get startled by something and then get all hissy and hide under stuff and growl at you.

I got some JACKSON GALAXY juice that's supposed to make them chill out. It's like, plant oils that you can pet onto them or put some drops in their water?

I dunno, Jackson Galaxy looks too much like a nu-metal bassist for me to trust him, really.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    One thing about big dogs is they have a lot of big dog energy!

Depends on the dog. (I'm reiterating this because a lot of people think that big dogs are bad in apartments and actually a lot of big dogs are much better for apartments than small or medium ones, depending on energy levels).

Maremas are a working breed that were intended to be doin' stuff. Berners and newfoundlands, and their ilk, were designed to keep your feet warm and maybe potter around a village with a small cart for half an hour, so generally speaking they are the laziest doggos to ever lazy and tbh even getting one to go for a walk can be a real chore.
    like seriously they spend 21 hours a day asleep and at least two of the remainder just kind of rolling around hoping you'll give them food.

tynic on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The nice thing about a cat, since I have no time and I'm tired all the time, is that he's well behaved and just wants to lay on my lap all the time forever

He knows what time I come home from work and, according to my brother, will get up and wait in front of the door once it's time

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Greyhounds, the fastest dog breed on earth, live only for naps and treats 24/7

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Depends on the dog. (I'm reiterating this because a lot of people think that big dogs are bad in apartments and actually a lot of big dogs are much better for apartments than small or medium ones, depending on energy levels).

Maremas are a working breed that were intended to be doin' stuff. Berners and newfoundlands, and their ilk, were designed to keep your feet warm and maybe potter around a village with a small cart for half an hour, so generally speaking they are the laziest doggos to ever lazy and tbh even getting one to go for a walk can be a real chore.
    like seriously they spend 21 hours a day asleep and at least two of the remainder just kind of rolling around hoping you'll give them food.

Yea my Dad would have been much better served with a Berner or Newfy. I'm still of two minds, the dog is still young enough where he could go to a farm and be a working dog and actually trained, or be here most of the day by himself while my Dad is at work. I don't think it's a good fit to have a working dog not have a job.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Greyhounds, the fastest dog breed on earth, live only for naps and treats 24/7
    Uh, have you also heard of this thing called pats? They like those too.

• Options
    this is a natural tangent, I think, but how fucking cool are wolves?

caution big boy ahead
    xUv51IX.jpg

I don't think he's a whole wolf, but holy shit I want to live in the deepest darkest woods with him as my stalwart companion.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    after I die, the woodland creatures would carry me off into the woods like the Penguin in Batman Returns and he'd vanish into the forest. Hunters would tell tales of a giant beast, a leader of wolves, legendary.

Depressperado on
  • Options

Yea my Dad would have been much better served with a Berner or Newfy. I'm still of two minds, the dog is still young enough where he could go to a farm and be a working dog and actually trained, or be here most of the day by himself while my Dad is at work. I don't think it's a good fit to have a working dog not have a job.

That's a good way to have an insane dog and a wrecked house.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I don't really vibe with dogs very often actually

They are so much higher maintenance than I have the mental capacity to deal with in a pet.

Even being around one that doesn't understand boundaries and stuff very well for even a few minutes gets to me sometimes.

It's like ok I petted you 40 times go lie down.

But you gotta remember, 40 pets is only like 5 and a half pets in dog years.

sarukun on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I miss my big floofy Newfie girl. I have an overexcited Tibetan Terrier now, which is certainly easier to accomodate next to me on the sofa while watch TV, but there's something about a dog the size of a wheelbarrow trying to subtly work its way between your legs and hoping you won't notice that just can't be recreated with a dog you can pick up and hold under one arm.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    @Juggernut if I may,
    qbr8jl0lystb.png
    Leonbergers

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

That's a good way to have an insane dog and a wrecked house.

He's not an inside dog, but yea I agree. He needs work.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I cannot be dissuaded from the greatness of beagles.

This discussion has been closed.