As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] Trump Running Out Of Days To Finally Become President

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I feel like this page is a prime example as to why a lot of us are not remotely comfortable right now.

e: Damnit, of COURSE this is the TOTP.

Referring to the SCOTUS stuff.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Amazing totp right there

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    don't worry, i'm sure your statement will hold true for this page too

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So

Probably lots of ballots already recently out in the mail that won’t arrive by next Tuesday huh

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So

Probably lots of ballots already recently out in the mail that won’t arrive by next Tuesday huh

By design.

This is blatant election rigging.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    If I was in Wisconsin walk in your ballot now. Nothing else you can do. Wisconsin's biggest issue is the gerrymandering is so bad for state stuff that the Republicans control the legislature.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Isn't Wisconsin also the state that forced the primary elections to be done in person, over the governor's orders, in the middle of the first corona wave? Screw those judges, seriously.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So what's the map like if we consider Wisconsin lost? Was it one of the places we were depending on?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Which is the opposite of how they ruled in the Alabama case to disenfranchise black voters in Jefferson County. All Calvinball.

Also, which part of the fucking state? The Governor apparently doesn't count. Fuck these assholes.

this sucks but it isn't exactly true

SCOTUS ruled Alabama could ban curbside ballot collecting, which is in line with their stance that States should be allowed to make their own rules

i do think there is more to consider regarding the constitutionality of these restrictive measures they are upholding but it's incorrect to say they're playing Calvinball

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hope they keep a record of how many votes would have been cast if it weren't for this ruling.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So what's the map like if we consider Wisconsin lost? Was it one of the places we were depending on?

easiest path includes WI but there are a number of paths that don't need it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Supreme Court has ruled that ballots in Wisconsin which are postmarked before election day, but arrive after, are to be thrown out.

BREAKING: Supreme Court sides with Republicans to block voting accommodations in Wisconsin. The vote is 5-3.

The applications involve a district-court order extending the deadline for the receipt of mail-in ballots by six days. The 7th circuit blocked this remedy on appeal, and now five justices agree the state gets to run the election as it chooses—pandemic or no.

Steven Mazie is a SCOTUS correspondent with The Economist

This is wrong. Everything they is sent by postage is postage must be received.on date, not a hardline mail must be received on a date. So as long as it's post marked in time, I can be late. This is for like every business ever.

RickRude on
  • Options
    One bit of luck is Wisconsin is the difference. If polling is correct this shouldn't drastically change the results in that state.

3fqxtv85whli.png

It really shouldn't remove enough votes to flip the state. But it makes this way more frustrating than it should be.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My wife dropped off our ballots today, so +2 in Minnesota. Hopefully we'll finally unseat the republican assholes that Rochester keeps electing.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yeah, Wisconsin is not close.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, driving home today, I saw a "Put Cooper in the Pooper" sign, which I guess was against Cooper in NC for Governor. Like, if that's the hill you wanna die on, be my guest. His opponent is the McCrory toadie, Dan Forest, so... good luck!

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I'd be more concerned about how this will effect down ballot votes. This is a huge boon for republicans keeping the Wisconsin legislature.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I'd be more concerned about how this will effect down ballot votes. This is a huge boon for republicans keeping the Wisconsin legislature.

They literally cannot lose the Wisconsin legislature unless they lose 60-40.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Before people go crazy with the Wisconsin stuff, two things to keep in mind for your own sanity.
    1. While voter suppression is absolutely bad and can have significant impacts on elections, especially in terms of downballot legislative makeup, it is very unlikely to represent a massive shift in the electoral results at the topline. Biden is consistently up 7-9 points in the polls in Wisconsin. For an individual act of voter suppression to matter, you're talking like, the polling average being off by a 5% MoE so Biden is at 2% in the lead, and then this suppression effort throwing out a full 5-10% of all votes cast assuming the votes thrown out are +40% Biden. That is an absurd shift to expect.
    2. If you do not heed this advice and begin messing with election tools, also note that a massive insane shift due to an act of voter suppression is state specific. "Trump wins Wisconsin because he was actually winning there" suggests a fundamental and massive error where Trump is probably in the lead. "Trump wins Wisconsin because the magic pessimism fairy threw out 30% of the state's ballots" suggests that Wisconsin is no longer a Democracy, but that all other polling is accurate and Biden's lead is still relatively stable.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

It's impossible for them to lose this cycle. Dems need about 60% of the vote to beat the gerrymander. Nothing can change until the new districts are drawn.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

It's impossible for them to lose this cycle. Dems need about 60% of the vote to beat the gerrymander. Nothing can change until the new districts are drawn.

I wonder. If the majority of votes that will enter USPS custody and be affected by the ruling are R-leaning, will the GOP then challenge their own precedent?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »

I wonder. If the majority of votes that will enter USPS custody and be affected by the ruling are R-leaning, will the GOP then challenge their own precedent?

"Will conservatives be hypocrites if it serves their interests"

YES.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    In some good WI news, from my check this morning(report runs at 730 am) City of Milwaukee is at 54% of its 2016 vote total. Dane county is at 72% Milwaukee County is at 60%. Early in-person voting didn't start till last Tuesday. We are at about 1.634m votes in out of a 2.976m votes in 2016.

And from what I remember from my training Milwaukee will have like 176 or the 180ish polling sites open. So we shouldn't have issues with lines etc.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Also drop boxes are pretty available in wisconsin. Thats how I and most of the people who had mail in ballots I know of did theirs. Enough stuff about post office that nobody trusted it to deliver so we just went to the box at the court house.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They literally cannot lose the WIsconsin legislature unless they lose 60-40.

Wisconsin is basically a failed democracy at this point. It's a prototype for what the Republicans want to do to the US as a whole. Or a state-level example of how democracies fail in the modern era.

• Options
    The best part about the Wisconsin ruling is that if you have sent in your ballot but it hasn't arrived to be counted yet, you are not allowed to vote in person in Wisconsin law.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The best part about the Wisconsin ruling is that if you have sent in your ballot but it hasn't arrived to be counted yet, you are not allowed to vote in person in Wisconsin law.

fuck 'em, vote anyway. The mail-in will be discarded and let them try to come at you for some random trash that isn't a real vote showing up in the mail.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wait so does this just refer to ballots sent in on Election Day or just any ballets that arrive late through no fault of the voter?

If it’s the later holy shit, you don’t have a democracy, especially cos what is the actual difference between voting in person and by mail

The Supreme Court is essentially an engine for disenfranchisement

Also way to go with making the ruling now,I’m sure they’ll do their due diligence and advertise this change and it won’t disenfranchise confused voters en mass

What a disgrace

Prohass on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Which is the opposite of how they ruled in the Alabama case to disenfranchise black voters in Jefferson County. All Calvinball.

Also, which part of the fucking state? The Governor apparently doesn't count. Fuck these assholes.

this sucks but it isn't exactly true

SCOTUS ruled Alabama could ban curbside ballot collecting, which is in line with their stance that States should be allowed to make their own rules

i do think there is more to consider regarding the constitutionality of these restrictive measures they are upholding but it's incorrect to say they're playing Calvinball

No: Kavenaugh specifically mentioned overruling state courts on state law in his concurrence. Something even Bush v Gore balked at.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Wait so does this just refer to ballots sent in on Election Day or just any ballets that arrive late through no fault of the voter?

If it’s the later holy shit, you don’t have a democracy, especially cos what is the actual difference between voting in person and by mail

Also way to go with making the ruling now,I’m sure they’ll do their due diligence and advertise this change and it won’t disenfranchise confused voters en mass

What a disgrace

Anything that shows up after election day. So with the mail delays engineered by the federal government and the overwhelming case load (which neither the Wisconsin legislature or US Senate bothered to provide resources to address) people who did everything on time are going to be disenfranchised because the court thinks that will hurt Democrats more than Republicans.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its so bullshit they wait until just before the election to make these ridiculous decisions.

I will say this ruling is dumb on it's face, but it will actually probably disenfranchise Republicans more than Democrats. Democrats have shown up in the early vote, the people showing up on election day or voting by mail late are going to be more likely to be Republican. It's not even a strategically good ruling.

Roz on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

What a disgrace

Anything that shows up after election day. So with the mail delays engineered by the federal government and the overwhelming case load (which neither the Wisconsin legislature or US Senate bothered to provide resources to address) people who did everything on time are going to be disenfranchised because the court thinks that will hurt Democrats more than Republicans.

This is just straight up an assault on basic rights. I just don’t understand how it’s tolerated. America is so fucking rotten when it comes to this shit. This would be such an enormous amount of people being disenfranchised at the last minute with little to no recourse

How do people find out if they’re likely to have their vote thrown out? Like if you can’t know until Election Day the Supreme Court is essentially actively denying people their legal rights

This is fucking insane

If this costs us Wisconsin Democrat’s need to be ready to fight this and not see losing the case as an option. If this happens and enough people are disenfranchised you are not a democracy at all

Prohass on
  • Options
    Its so bullshit they wait until just before the election to make these ridiculous decisions.

Which is a violation of their precious Purcell doctrine, but it's all fucking Calvinball.

• Options

What a disgrace

This is just straight up an assault on basic rights. I just don’t understand how it’s tolerated. America is so fucking rotten when it comes to this shit. This would be such an enormous amount of people being disenfranchised at the last minute with little to no recourse

How do people find out if they’re likely to have their vote thrown out? Like if you can’t know until Election Day the Supreme Court is essentially actively denying people their legal rights

This is fucking insane

If this costs us Wisconsin Democrat’s need to be ready to fight this and not see losing the case as an option. If this happens and enough people are disenfranchised you are not a democracy at all

The Supreme Court ruled. The fight for new ruling is over. They can try to fight on other grounds, but the fight to get those ballots counted at the moment is over.

Again as pointed out this shouldn't flip Wisconsin. But it makes it messier than it should be.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What a disgrace

This is the #1 actual reason the courts need to be packed. Because the republican-controlled SCOTUS is a full on constant assault on the basic democratic processes of the US.

• Options

What a disgrace

This is fucking insane

It's a Supreme Court ruling. It's kind of the final arbiter.

Pack the motherfucking courts.

Then abolish the Senate.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'd be ok with abolishing the Dakotas and turning the land over to the indigenous nations that historically existed there.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    IMO Democrats in congress should feel free to make whatever promises to not expand the court they want to for election reasons

Especially during any lame duck session, have Schumer and McConnel pinkie swear that the court won't be expanded

And then in January just do it anyway because fuck em

Zero reason to be honest or negotiate in good faith with Republicans at this point

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    "He didn't grow up and also he's dying of old age!"

Well, I'm certainly not voting for Benjamin Button now.

It's also the same flailing contradictory doublespeak and nonsensical shit-flinging insults leveled at Sen. Kamala Harris.

She's a super lefty socialist communist Antifa anarchist who wants to defund the police and take away your guns but also a too-tough on crime prosecutor who doesn't care about BLM or minority civil rights.

Trump and his ilk are just throwing anything against the wall to see what sticks. It's just that in Sen. Kamala Harris's case, they've lowered the bar to sexist and racist d̶o̶g̶w̶h̶i̶s̶t̶l̶e̶s̶ bullhorns and aren't even bothering to be subtle about it anymore.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Here’s an idea America, if the greatest country in the world can’t get peoples mail votes delivered in a reliably fast fashion, make a clear cut off day that they can be sent in by, and go by the posted date. Don’t just say if it arrives late then it won’t get counted, because the fucking voter has no control over that. Seriously most other democracies have this worked out already. It’s not hard, and is in fact easier than this, in basically every other first world democracy

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.