As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Games and Technology
taqr0tfatdqm.jpg

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Months weeks before the November launch of the Xbox Series S and X consoles, it's another Xbox console and PC and everywhere else thread! Here we talk about backwards compatibility, unobtrusive hardware styling, subscription services, "Netflix of Games", game streaming and how Microsoft obviously dropped $7 billion American to totally publish games for Nintendo and Sony, oh yeah.

Games with Gold

The original unified network for consoles is still alive! Since the beginning of time, users with a "Xbox Live Gold" paid membership will have four free titles made available for download for limited timed--two on Xbox One (which require continued membership) and two on Xbox 360 or original Xbox (which are yours in perpetuity). Yes, you do need to actually obtain them within the overlapping four-week opportunity window. Yes, you can get Xbox Live Gold through a normal subscription fee, buying discounted months of membership through vendors, or abusing Xbox's overly-generous reward program. While original Xbox titles are not playable on original hardware (for obvious reasons), all Xbox 360 titles are (more on that below).

Bethesda Softworks, now part of Xbox Game Studios!

If the O.G. console online network still gets a paragraph in this post, we might as well talk about this juggernaut: in late September 2020, Microsoft entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, best known as the parent company of Bethesda Softworks, publisher of franchises including Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, and the upcoming "done when it's done" Starfield. The acquisition will be formally completed in 2021, and in the meantime Bethesda will be honoring exclusivity agreements made with Sony made before the purchase, though we are not aware of what this may mean for those titles in the future (though past example would suggest a re-release on Xbox platforms some time later).

Xbox Game Pass for Console, PC, and Game Pass Ultimate

And here's where things get different and complicated! Like EA Access, Xbox Game Pass for Console is Microsoft's own subscription gaming catalog service ("Netflix for video games") with over a hundred periodically rotating titles, making it attractive for digital only libraries and people who want to try first party new exclusives (which will make the rounds on the service at the time of their launch). And now, it's been formally introduced for Windows 10 as Xbox Game Pass for PC, which includes a number of PC-only titles that can be installed through Windows 10's Store App or Xbox App, whichever you prefer. However, both services come with their own separate fees. If you want them both, you may wish to consider the Caddilac of Netflix for Games, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: for less than the cost of the both individual services, you can have your Xbox Game Pass on Console and PC and Xbox Live Gold subscriptions in a single plan! Because nothing bad ever came from bundling services! Use the above link to see if you're still eligible for the absurdly cheap one-time charge to upgrade your Xbox Live Gold subscription to Game Pass Ultimate plus the span of your current Xbox Game Pass subscription time. Oh yeah, it's complicated.

In either service, there is no limit on how many games you can download and install from it, and access is for as long as the subscription holds--permanent purchases made from the catalog are discounted 20%, and DLC by 10%. It still does not require Xbox Live Gold (though that is part of Game Pass Ultimate). In 2020, Game Pass Ultimate now comes with an additional perk you may be familiar with...

Xbox Game Streaming

https://youtu.be/J4FF_mHhwqw

Like Google's Stadia that everyone's been talking about and the Playstation Now service that Sony never talks about, Xbox Game Streaming (formerly "Project Xcloud") replaces your grandparents' Xbox game from the ancient era of streaming a console over your home network to the sexy future of piping your game in from The Cloud on your mobile devices. No longer in free beta, it is now part of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (and presently available on Android phones, though Microsoft has finally acknowledged bringing the service to Windows 10 and there's some weird stuff going on with iOS, check back later). Play console-quality games on mobile! Take advantage of all the normal Xbox Live services! Drain your phone battery before you know it! Still probably not coming to other consoles no matter how hard you ask!

Streaming available in the following regions, courtesy of XDA-Developers:
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

List of games offered courtesy of the excellent TrueAchievement website:
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Absolver
  • Afterparty
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Astroneer
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battletoads
  • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
  • Black Desert
  • Blair Witch
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Bridge Constructor Portal
  • Carrion
  • Children of Morta
  • ClusterTruck
  • Crackdown 3: Campaign
  • Crosscode
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Darksiders III
  • DayZ
  • de Blob
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Dead Cells
  • Dead Island Definitive Edition
  • Death Squared
  • Deliver us the moon
  • Demon’s Tilt
  • Descenders
  • Destiny 2: Shadowkeep & Forsaken expansion (September 22)
  • DiRT 4
  • Don’t Starve
  • Double Kick Heroes
  • Drake Hollow
  • Dungeon of the Endless
  • Enter The Gungeon
  • F1 2019
  • Fallout 76
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • Felix the Reaper
  • Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
  • For the King
  • Forager
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Fractured Minds
  • Frostpunk: Console Edition
  • Gato Roboto
  • Gears of War 1: Ultimate Edition
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears of War 5
  • Goat Simulator
  • Golf with Your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Guacamelee! 2
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 1: Definitive Edition
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Hollow Knight (Renewal)
  • Hot Shot Racing
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Hyperdot
  • Hypnospace Outlaw
  • Indivisible
  • Journey to the Savage Planet
  • Katana ZERO (Coming soon)
  • Killer Instinct DE
  • Kona
  • Levelhead
  • Lonely Mountains: Downhill
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  • Minecraft: Dungeons
  • MINIT
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Moonlighter
  • Mortal Kombat X (Not available in Korea)
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Moving Out
  • Mudrunner
  • Munchkin: Quacked Quest
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • My Time At Portia
  • Neon Abyss
  • New Super Lucky’s Tale
  • NieR:Automata
  • Night Call
  • Night in the Woods (Coming soon)
  • No Man’s Sky
  • Nowhere Prophet
  • Observation
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Oxenfree
  • Pathologic 2
  • Pikuniku
  • Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • ReCore: Definitive Edition
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • Rise & Shine
  • River City Girls (Coming soon)
  • Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Edition
  • Sea Salt
  • Secret Neighbor
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Spiritfarer
  • State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stranger Things 3: The Game
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Streets of Rogue
  • Subnautica
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tacoma
  • Tell Me Why Episode 1 – 3
  • Terraria
  • The Bard’s Tale IV: Directors Cut
  • The Bard’s Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
  • The Bard’s Tale Trilogy
  • The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • The Gardens Between
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4
  • The Long Dark
  • The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
  • The Messenger
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Surge 2
  • The Touryst
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Escapists 2
  • The Talos Principle
  • The Turing Test
  • The Walking Dead: A New Frontier – Episode 1 through 5
  • The Walking Dead: Michonne – Episode 1 – 3
  • The Walking Dead: Season Two
  • theHunter: Call of the Wild
  • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
  • Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
  • Totally Reliable Delivery Service
  • Touhou Luna Nights
  • Tracks – The Train Set Game
  • Trailmakers
  • Train Sim World 2020
  • Two Point Hospital
  • Undermine
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Void Bastards
  • Wandersong
  • Warhammer Vermintide 2 (Coming soon)
  • Wasteland Remastered
  • Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut
  • Wasteland 3
  • We Happy Few
  • West of Dead
  • Wizard of Legend
  • World War Z
  • Worms W.M.D
  • Xeno Crisis
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2

Xbox Backwards Compatibility Library

Say hello to the most extensive backwards compatibility library since Sony left the Playstation 3 unconscious in a bathtub full of ice! Since early in the Project Scarlett reveal, Microsoft has committed to bringing the whole of the Xbox One library forward to the Xbox Series consoles, alongside the existing Xbox One-era software backwards compatibilty libraries on all previous Xbox consoles since 2001 excluding Kinect-based titles on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Yes, we are as shocked as you. In addition to almost six hundred Xbox 360 titles and more than forty "Original Xbox" titles, the whole Xbox One library should be available, with visual upgrades on a case to case basis (including resolution multiplying, framerate improvements, and Auto-HDR). But because of when this thread is being posted, we have limited examples of the implementation on the actual hardware (exclusively Xbox Series X preview units in the hands of the select few), as oppose to hundreds of Xbox and Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One, this section is subject to change as needed. Curious if your favorite old video game is playable? Check it out!

Xbox Series S and Series X arriving in Holiday 2020

In this crazy, topsy-turvy world, there's one thing you can count on: you and millions of others blowing your hard-earned savings on sexy new hardware in November. Hope you got your pre-orders in (though if not, check this thread as we periodically post when new batches become available)!

https://youtu.be/XCTPu1aUsTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktN4bycj9s

https://youtu.be/0eBaPS3uj-A

https://youtu.be/S82YvCtwfHY

https://youtu.be/qcY4nRHapmE

https://youtu.be/4cmclCjS5jg

https://youtu.be/7y-Fy1Q2O2k

https://youtu.be/7oe1LUJyCCs

2020 Xbox E3 Games Showcase

https://youtu.be/F7nkg_5ZfrM

https://youtu.be/pTp3W0mlsJA

https://youtu.be/apZ3a4h5C54

https://youtu.be/Ci4n8sE5iZw

https://youtu.be/6bfC-vvlbHc

https://youtu.be/ZkHpw7HArBM

Hardware Reviews, or the things you watch because the consoles are sold out everywhere!

https://youtu.be/cFyLpW41D88

https://youtu.be/7oe1LUJyCCs

Penny Arcade Forums' Game Clubs

Pax Arcadia
Arcade Squad (Gears of War series)
The Bees Knees (Halo series)

Additionally, you can find the forums Xbox Live gamertag list here, and the form to sign up here.

Synthesis on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And to inaugurate this new thread: DF looks at Auto-HDR, one of the more interesting new changes to BC in my book.

https://youtu.be/LT1a6NXYy6E

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My hype thrusters have been engaged

Less than 20 days now

My hype thrusters have been engaged

Less than 20 days now

I generally have contempt for the hype locomotive, but console launches are typically twice (maybe three) times a decade event per ecosystem (and I can't participate in all the ecosystems, I'm not made out of money and rooftop parties!), so I make a full exception for these.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Meh. It's a console I have interest in. I'll get one. Eventually.

I just got an X1. I am very used to being behind the curve. In fact Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the first time since LA Noire that I will play when it comes out. And only because it came with the console. (I actually would have preferred the Fallen Order bundle, but, what are you gonna do?)

That's reasonable. I got a Playstation 4 pretty recently, I don't use it that often, and it's much nicer-looking than any PS5.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The OP paragraph on Gamepass got me thinking, have we seen any first party titles launch on and then rotate off of Gamepass? I always thought of the first party titles as the services constant offering.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Media remotes will work on the series x!

Xbox One Media Remotes will continue to work with Xbox Series X|S as part of our commitment that you can bring your existing accessories forward with you. The design team hid the IR receiver inside the bind button #PowerYourDreams

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    ITT: Synthy reveals his unbridled love for horizontal scrolling and lists. @_@

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    OP is as large as box is in rl.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited October 2020

My love for horizontal scrolling is almost as vast as the excellent selection of titles available in Xbox Game Streaming.

(I did consider spoilering it, but given the inclusion of a link and that it's the OP, I though, "Eh, it's not like anyone actually reads this anyway.")
    Roe wrote: »

Hardly. I've composed an OP the size of a Playstation 5, or a medium-size plumbing fixture.

Synthesis on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Why yes, we do have a new friend thread which I am still updating to actually make it meaningfully different versus back in June*. Why yes, my inimitable wit did fail me when coming up with a thread title.

*Damn, we burn through these fast

Pretty fast for a Console With No Games am I right or am I right Clever Gamers fnar fnar

Pretty stoked the IR blaster lives on

LucidSound announced their LS15X, which is their more economic follow up LS35X Xbox wireless headsets, with a moderate redesign.

But they also said they plan for the LS35X to be compatible with Xbox Series, so yay!

Yeah, for some reason I never asked myself "Hey, where's the IR blaster?" I assumed, because the Xbox One X and S had one (neither natively supporting Kinect), both Xbox Series would too. I just never thought where.

They're really committed to that minimalist look.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

My love for horizontal scrolling is almost as vast as the excellent selection of titles available in Xbox Game Streaming.

(I did consider spoilering it, but given the inclusion of a link and that it's the OP, I though, "Eh, it's not like anyone actually reads this anyway.")
    Roe wrote: »

Hardly. I've composed an OP the size of a Playstation 5, or a medium-size plumbing fixture.

Since I can't go back and ninja correct since you quoted me... I meant vertical scrolling. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Xbox One Media Remotes will continue to work with Xbox Series X|S as part of our commitment that you can bring your existing accessories forward with you. The design team hid the IR receiver inside the bind button #PowerYourDreams

woo

also who gives a shit about media remotes, what this actually means if Harmony remotes will continue to work! :D

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

woo

also who gives a shit about media remotes, what this actually means if Harmony remotes will continue to work! :D

No one cares about your overpriced crap from Logitech, Hardtarget!

*hugs his Logitech Powerplay*

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Note: That's a receiver, not a blaster... Fair enough, it may do both, but don't count on it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Note: That's a receiver, not a blaster... Fair enough, it may do both, but don't count on it.

Yeah. Here's hoping, but they did specify receiver.

edited October 2020
    LucidSound announced their LS15X, which is their more economic follow up LS35X Xbox wireless headsets, with a moderate redesign.

But they also said they plan for the LS35X to be compatible with Xbox Series, so yay!

Yeah, for some reason I never asked myself "Hey, where's the IR blaster?" I assumed, because the Xbox One X and S had one (neither natively supporting Kinect), both Xbox Series would too. I just never thought where.

They're really committed to that minimalist look.

I did wonder, at least for the receiver, as a habitual media remote user.

On One X & S the blaster/receiver is clearly visible. On OG One, it's just a receiver but very cleverly concealed. I'm still not 100% on if it's actually in the eject button or right next to it...

Jazz on

Hmm for some reason I assumed if they included one they'd include the other. I really hope it still turns on TVs over IR, ARC controls never work great

edited October 2020
    On one of my TVs (a Samsung), the Xbox can send it discrete on and off commands. On the other (a Toshiba), the Xbox can apparently only send it a power toggle command. (This is both via IR, to clarify.)

I'm not sure if this is a limitation the TVs themselves have but it's bloody annoying when the Toshiba TV is now my main one. I've switched the feature off on that one. If I've been watching something on my DVR, or using my Switch, say, then want to go over to the Xbox, it would turn the TV off as the console came on.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »
    On one of my TVs (a Samsung), the Xbox can send it discrete on and off commands. On the other (a Toshiba), the Xbox can apparently only send it a power toggle command. (This is both via IR, to clarify.)

I'm not sure if this is a limitation the TVs themselves have but it's bloody annoying when the Toshiba TV is now my main one. I've switched the feature off on that one. If I've been watching something on my DVR, or using my Switch, say, then want to go over to the Xbox, it would turn the TV off as the console came on.

Yeah, my Samsung Q70R can actually translate Xbox commands not just to the audio, but the optical-out Vizio soundbar, which is genuinely impressive. I only need to use the Samsung remote to switch inputs (something to be addressed by CEC presumably).

For me, upgrading televisions might end up becoming not entirely unlike upgrading GPUs down the line (except maybe easier, depending on the circumstances), so I'll probably do it again when I need to get an HDMI 2.1/8K capable set, but Samsung's integration with Xbox One, at least, is unrivaled. I may have to stay with them if they keep up on Xbox Series.

edited October 2020
    I have a Sony Bravia in my main room and the PlayStation works flawlessly but Xbox doesn't work at all over ARC (like the PlayStation will automatically swap to the correct input when powered on, as well as turning the TV on. Xbox you have to manually power on and swap input)

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2020

Hmm for some reason I assumed if they included one they'd include the other. I really hope it still turns on TVs over IR, ARC controls never work great

It's weird; my Xbox is bad at this shit since they started deprecating the Kinect, but my Switch? Oh it's great; turns things on, switches inputs for me... Probably up to MS to do it right I imagine.

dporowski on

It's weird; my Xbox is bad at this shit since they started deprecating the Kinect, but my Switch? Oh it's great; turns things on, switches inputs for me... Probably up to MS to do it right I imagine.

My Xbox has no issues turning the TV on or off, but it can't change inputs. Didn't know a Switch could.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I haven't had to think about switching inputs since I got my One back in 2015. Damn I'm going to miss HDMI in when my Series gets delivered

Carpy on
    Carpy wrote: »
    I haven't had to think about switching inputs since I got my One back in 2015. Damn I'm going to miss HDMI in when my Series gets delivered

I'm going to run my Playstation 4 through my Xbox One X. Problem solved. :+1:

My Xbox has no issues turning the TV on or off, but it can't change inputs. Didn't know a Switch could.

Does it to me all the time if I forget to sleep it, or wake the screen up before docking it. "Oh hey you want to play me on the tv OKAY" and bam.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Upgraded to gigabit internet from the 300Mb we had.

I was normally hitting mid 200's on downloads.

Now, even though speed testing on the 1x itself is hitting over 800Mbps, my downloads aren't any faster. Is this an issue of it is only downloading as fast as it can write to the HD? Was really hoping to pull down games from gamepass a lot faster.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Upgraded to gigabit internet from the 300Mb we had.

I was normally hitting mid 200's on downloads.

Now, even though speed testing on the 1x itself is hitting over 800Mbps, my downloads aren't any faster. Is this an issue of it is only downloading as fast as it can write to the HD? Was really hoping to pull down games from gamepass a lot faster.

For practical purposes, you are limited both by how much bandwidth you can be "portioned" (for lack of a better word) for Xbox Live downloads alongside the read-write speed of internal storage. I doubt the later is an issue so much as the former.

I've always been of the opinion that Xbox Live generally has consistently better download speeds than Playstation Now or the Switch's online marketplace, and owning a PS4 (and using both it and my Xbox One X over wifi, basically less than a meter from eachother, has only reinforced it).

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The download speed is great no doubt, and after I posted that it surged into 600-700Mbps territory for a bit before falling back to 200-250

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I noticed the same thing. I had Gigabit speed for a time as well and the fastest downloads would go was about 300mbps. Everything else checked out fine though. I downgraded to 500mbps since the extra bandwidth was basically wasted and, being cable internet, the upload speed never changed between the two.

I think that's more or less the top speed we're getting now in the US. It'll be upgraded, but who knows when, considering it's probably more than adequate for 90% of the XBL user base in North America.

I have a basic plan with Charter Cable (~250 mbps down), which is as good as you can get in my area without upgrading (to a more expensive plan from Charter), and I generally don't max that out.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://www.ign.com/articles/gears-5-series-x-update-brings-new-game-more-batista

Gears 5 Series X/S update adds, in addition to the 120 fps stuff already talked about, a NG+ for the campaign, including two new difficulty modes, mutators, and the ability to use weapon and character skins in the campaign. Most excitingly, you can swap in the Dave Bautista skin for Marcus, and Dave has re-recorded all of Marcus' dialogue himself.

Crippl3 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://www.ign.com/articles/gears-5-series-x-update-brings-new-game-more-batista

Gears 5 Series X/S update adds, in addition to the 120 fps stuff already talked about, a NG+ for the campaign, including two new difficulty modes, mutators, and the ability to use weapon and character skins in the campaign. Most excitingly, you can swap in the Dave Bautista skin for Marcus, and Dave has re-recorded all of Marcus' dialogue himself.

Okay, definitely replaying Gears 5 now.

Gotta hear how Bautista reacts to the choice.

Undead Scottsman on
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Okay, definitely replaying Gears 5 now.

Gotta hear how Bautista reacts to the choice.

When you choose to
    kill JD
    https://youtu.be/nzobsJyLiqM

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Buried the part about new Gears 5 story dlc. :biggrin:

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played Gears 5 on launch and the achievements were totally busted. I failed to get a bunch of "unmissable" story achievements, among others.

I've been meaning to go back through the game at some point, so this sounds like a good time to do so.

1. I didnt see it lol
    2. Why would I give a shit when I can instead talk about THE ANIMAL BATISTA
    https://youtu.be/l6SOYlunc88