As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

For the best, imo. Even though the idea of a traditional Black Friday in light of present circumstances is just absurd.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It's funny because everyone* gave best buy and other retailers brownie points for closing on Thanksgiving like that's some amazing thing. And yet there's still gonna be too many people in stores on Black Friday, which is a terrible idea

*Not everyone probably just people not paying attention enough

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I dom't care if retailers are open on holidays or not. But I do care about the cultural obsession with Black Friday. We don't fucking need door buster sales like this anymore.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Personally, I'm cautious and would never exclude the possibility of a Playstation 5 release. There's precedent, and a 202x release for Xbox Series, 202x+4 (or 5) release for Playstation 5 would be fitting in a way. If Sony makes it worth Microsoft's while.

Maybe. Or it won't come to Playstation 5 at all. Come the Playstation 6, it'll all be a nonissue anyway, packaged up in some Microsoft/Zenimax bundle to promote the (probably Xbox-exclusive) ESVII and Fallout: Oklahoma Wasteland or wherever they set it.

It won't come to the Switch. Nor will XCloud, so you'll have to wait until the nuSwitch, when ESVI is ported to the 2030 line of smart refrigerators and cars as well.

I wouldn't count a Switch port out just yet -- Zenimax has ported the most PS4/One games over than any other AAA publisher, and Switch is getting into the cloud streaming biz. (Control was just announced as a cloud-based game.) It could come over as a cloud game, assuming the service takes off.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Microsoft doesn't own Zenimax yet, so I don't think Zenimax is able to say anything definitive about exclusivity plans.

Their future games will almost certainly be Xbox console exclusive.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Sure, if you think the Switch is getting Xbox Game Streaming.

I doubt it, and so does Phil Spencer apparently.
    Arteen wrote: »
    Microsoft doesn't own Zenimax yet, so I don't think Zenimax is able to say anything definitive about exclusivity plans.

Their future games will almost certainly be Xbox console exclusive.

As noted, the actual acquisition will go through in 2021.

• Options
    It's funny because everyone* gave best buy and other retailers brownie points for closing on Thanksgiving like that's some amazing thing. And yet there's still gonna be too many people in stores on Black Friday, which is a terrible idea

*Not everyone probably just people not paying attention enough

Yeah, it's weird... It's not really a magnanimous thing to close Thanksgiving this year because many people are properly cautious/aren't in a position to buy Things now, and there's capacity limits still in effect for a lot of regions. I've gone to Best Buy for a few things post Work-Purgatory and when I went after 11:00am-ish there was already a long line to get in. The IKEA in the same shopping center had a line that wrapped around the store. But having people congregate outside your stores, where there's only so much room on the sidewalks will be the kicker. It's just going to be tossing more water onto a grease fire if they open.

Curbside pick-up also loses its effectiveness if there's a million people waiting for it too. So IDK... but bumping the consoles to online-only is a good idea. Definitely a safer option too beyond just the disease this year. Hopefully other big boxes will follow suit with the consoles and I guess other hot ticket items.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Booo, both The Ascent and Outriders are pushed to '21.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

outriders makes sense because outside of some sizzle pr I've heard very little of release dates.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

outriders makes sense because outside of some sizzle pr I've heard very little of release dates.

Yeah, it's not really surprising that it got pushed, 'Winter 2020' seemed nebulously ambitious, but I was hopeful about The Ascent.

• Options
    I couldn't remember the ascent it was that action rpg game. Oh well. I'm looking at the series x as an investment and in improvement on games I already have. Hell more games coming out in 2021 will hopefully mean less bunched up titles

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah The Ascent will be 2021, but it also got confirmed as coming to Game Pass so there's good news too.

https://youtu.be/eQ2zUMFO6mE

• Options
    I couldn't remember the ascent it was that action rpg game. Oh well. I'm looking at the series x as an investment and in improvement on games I already have. Hell more games coming out in 2021 will hopefully mean less bunched up titles

yeah, I'm more excited about being able to go into a full block in PSO2 and not having the the game turn into a frame dipping, clone filled mess than I am about new games. o_o

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    yeah The Ascent will be 2021, but it also got confirmed as coming to Game Pass so there's good news too.

I thought we already knew that? Wasn't it announced with the Gamepass tag during the Series X games showcase?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Its time for a new console, let's see if Microsoft goes big with Games With Gold this month to celebrate:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__uoFZBlf0

Oh

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I thought we already knew that? Wasn't it announced with the Gamepass tag during the Series X games showcase?

i had thought so too, maybe it was implied. either way having it stated outright now is a good thing.

• Options
    Shoulda been MCC on GWG to make up for Infinite delay

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I mean full spectrum warrior is really good! but also i own it digitally already! boo hiss. lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    You can launch Gear Tactics now, and get a few screens in before it tells you you cant play yet.

I noticed it auto detected my One X, and choose settings for it.

You can also check achievements.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I mean full spectrum warrior is really good! but also i own it digitally already! boo hiss. lol

How many spectrums we talking here?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

How many spectrums we talking here?

You mean, for the warrior?

Full.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, this has been a rocky week for first-party Xbox game development. Yesterday, word came out that the director of Halo Infinite has stepped down. Today, the director of Everwild resigned from Rare entirely.

That's not to say the games won't wind up being good, but woof.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    "Bethesda Boss Says It's 'Hard to Imagine' Elder Scrolls 6 Being Xbox-Exclusive" Hard to imagine, but here we are and welp, enjoy as much spider-man as you can because I'd bet some dollars ES6 ain't coming to Playstation. Can always stream it on your phone though!

As for the loss of the Everwild guy, check out his portfolio - it's totally lacklustre. Hard to see this as some crucial loss for the studio.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1120051/

The only highlight on that list for me is Elvira II from '91.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    "Bethesda Boss Says It's 'Hard to Imagine' Elder Scrolls 6 Being Xbox-Exclusive" Hard to imagine, but here we are and welp, enjoy as much spider-man as you can because I'd bet some dollars ES6 ain't coming to Playstation. Can always stream it on your phone though!

As for the loss of the Everwild guy, check out his portfolio - it's totally lacklustre. Hard to see this as some crucial loss for the studio.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1120051/

The only highlight on that list for me is Elvira II from '91.

So... this is the Phil Spencer quote on this subject:
    “Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”

Being that Elder Scrolls is only one piece of the portfolio, PCs and xCloud and whatnot are things that exist, and owning a console isn't remotely a zero-sum concept and all, it was a rather disingenuous question. :\

(Source)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I imagine Phil got talking to from the MS lawyers as they've all gotten a slight bit more reserved in talking about their plans for Zenimax due to the deal not closing until next year.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Oh god, fucking buy bungie already and give them some helper studios! I want a new Whisper quest done by Obsidian!

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Oh god, fucking buy bungie already and give them some helper studios! I want a new Whisper quest done by Obsidian!

Whatever senior leadership left at Bungie would probably leave if this happened.

Would be interesting to see a Bungie Halo game again, though...

• Options
    A heads up for all you lucky Xbox Series X/S pre-order holders out there, it looks like the Series X/S controllers will be on sale on Black Friday, if you can wait a couple weeks to get extras. Best Buy's ad has "Xbox One and Series X/S controllers starting at $39.99"

• Options
    Shoot for 40 I may pickup an extra Series X controller to customize

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the Xbox One Controllers will be $40 and the Series Controllers will be more.

• Options
    You won't get me with that "starting at..." caveat again, stores!

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I am hoping the blue Series controller is $45-50ish, I'd buy one at that price (I like that blue color, and it would almost match my PS4 controller). I'd just be using it with my PC for now, but I'd be ok with that.

nusu on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    hm
    I'd be interested in getting one for PC, the left stick on the Xbone controller I use right now is goofing up

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hm
    I'd be interested in getting one for PC, the left stick on the Xbone controller I use right now is goofing up

If you have some wd40 I'd say try squirting that in and working it around. I had some switch controllers with bad stick fuck up and that worked wonders.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think the goal will be to phase out the second gen Xbox One controllers for the "third generation" controllers, the ones introduced with Xbox Series and with the share button. The same as happened with the first and second generation controllers.

But that could just be me being hopeful that they'll keep the same MSRP price and just wait for the older inventories to dry up.

Considering Destiny....and Destiny 2....and how many years it took to turn either game around...I'm very okay with this not happening. Just my thoughts.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Listened to half of GameIndustry's "MS buys Zenimax" podcast. Late, I know.

The pessimism for sure is the putative position.

Not sure the Spotify-Bandcamp analogy is good for describing GamePass and indie developers.

Maybe an economist could provide a better assessment on the future relationship between the two.

You know, "GameIndustry". Wonder what Gamasutra said.

And if Sony needs non-Bethesda open world games they could have named more studios.

But I skimmed the second half.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Medrg61anyE

DF, interestingly, waiting to do unboxings of both their preview Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 semi-digital version consoles simultaneously.

I hate myself, and Youtube culture, for making me think of this, but I immediately thought that Microsoft did a much better job with the in-box presentation. Ugh.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Other than maybe seeing what goodies might come in a SE package, unboxing videos confuse me.

• Options
    Other than maybe seeing what goodies might come in a SE package, unboxing videos confuse me.

I remember the Surface Duo getting raked over mild coals for the insufficient quality of....the shipping packaging it came in.

Not the packaging of the actual phone, which was to be expected more or less, but how Microsoft shipped them out. Not because they weren't protected for shipment though, but because for a phone that price, it wasn't fancy enough.

That's taking it to a whole new level.

• Options
    Opening the box for the Galaxy Fold is like opening the ark of the covenant, except instead of you melting it's the earth from all the paper waste making the package