As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, this has been a rocky week for first-party Xbox game development. Yesterday, word came out that the director of Halo Infinite has stepped down. Today, the director of Everwild resigned from Rare entirely.

That's not to say the games won't wind up being good, but woof.

Of note is that the Everwild director wasn't checking in for several months prior to the actual resignation, word on the vine it was personal/illness-related issue rather than some sort of managerial exodus or whatever

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, this has been a rocky week for first-party Xbox game development. Yesterday, word came out that the director of Halo Infinite has stepped down. Today, the director of Everwild resigned from Rare entirely.

That's not to say the games won't wind up being good, but woof.

Of note is that the Everwild director wasn't checking in for several months prior to the actual resignation, word on the vine it was personal/illness-related issue rather than some sort of managerial exodus or whatever

Why would that be noteworthy? I mean, surely Kotaku wouldn't have forgotten that detail intentionally? /s

edit: also Far Cry 6 and Rainbow Six Quarantine are getting delayed, partly "due to production challenges related to work from home." Can't crunch from home I guess. :pop:

Ubi Earning Report via TA

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    To be honest, I checked the source article Kotaku were referencing and I couldn't find that detail there either. It's entirely possible from where I'm sitting that this context is much harder to find, or fabricated. Sure, it'd be nice to see them go the extra mile to check, but in a vacuum the article isn't misleading anyone based off the information that they had

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah tbf, Kotaku isn't the only site that dropped that detail when repeating it.

edit: misread

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Medrg61anyE

DF, interestingly, waiting to do unboxings of both their preview Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 semi-digital version consoles simultaneously.

I hate myself, and Youtube culture, for making me think of this, but I immediately thought that Microsoft did a much better job with the in-box presentation. Ugh.

You literally unwrap the Xbox ! It’s like a present to yourself !

• Options
    I just meant the illness part

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I just meant the illness part

ah, sorry. I thought you meant them saying that he was MIA for a bit before he resigned. Yeah, nobody's really gone into detail about that part, and his public twitter has been largely inactive since August.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Bioshock Collection is discounted to $10 for the next few days. Even I'm considering getting it and I didn't particularly enjoy those games. There are still performance/frame-timing issues apparently, but they can be remedied if you go offline.

Still haven't been charged for either of my Series X pre-orders (which means I can't confidently cancel one or the other). Hope that changes soon!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    The Bioshock Collection is discounted to $10 for the next few days. Even I'm considering getting it and I didn't particularly enjoy those games. There are still performance/frame-timing issues apparently, but they can be remedied if you go offline.

Still haven't been charged for either of my Series X pre-orders (which means I can't confidently cancel one or the other). Hope that changes soon!

I moved my money to my main account today - I expect it to go out in the next week.

I have the Tuesday booked off. I need to change the delivery address to my own address as it's currently going to my mum's.

• Options
    I've been alternating work-from-home/work-from-work schedules. Two weeks we'll be doing another round of grant reconciliation, and technically loan reconciliation, but that's a monthly thing and can be pushed further.

About as good as time off, sort of? I don't think I could justify taking time off for a console launch, especially when the setup is going to be pretty straightforward.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It's ok if both of them go through you can send one to me 😊

• Options
    You see that Synthy? RickRude just volunteered to pay one of your credit card bills! He's the hero you deserve!

• Options
    You see that Synthy? RickRude just volunteered to pay one of your credit card bills! He's the hero you deserve!

Yeah, but you know he's not going to cover shipping.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Welp , it’s about to be November and I haven’t even sniffed being able to find a console. Always next year I suppose.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    Welp , it’s about to be November and I haven’t even sniffed being able to find a console. Always next year I suppose.

Rumors are Black Friday online resupplies at retailers. Keep the faith!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s pretty crazy. I’ve never seen a non Nintendo console sell out preorders for launch in Australia. There’s just not normally enough demand and there’s always been overstock, but this launch both PlayStation and Xbox sold out instantly without a chance for mere mortals to get either. I managed to preorder a second shipment of Xbox (god knows what that means) and I’m rolling the dice on just hoping I get a PlayStation at some point

But I’ve secretly got my naive fingers crossed that somehow there will be plenty launch day and that it was all some sort of mixup at that the factory

I can dream

• Options

Yeah, but you know he's not going to cover shipping.

Lol this was an actual thought in my head. I'd actually totally buy one off you, but how much is shipping going to be?

• Options
    I bought Watch Dogs : Legion yesterday.

It’s great fun, so far.

It reminds me of the earlier Saints Row games - serious themes, but played slightly wacky and playful.

The radio stations are great - underground, satirical talk radio where hosts make fun of living in a police state run by liars.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I bought Watch Dogs : Legion yesterday.

It’s great fun, so far.

It reminds me of the earlier Saints Row games - serious themes, but played slightly wacky and playful.

The radio stations are great - underground, satirical talk radio where hosts make fun of living in a police state run by liars.

This game makes me wish Ubi's subscription service was on consoles. I don't normally like GTA style open world games, but Legion looks super refreshing. Just not refreshing enough to drop a hundred bucks on.

I love how it kind of seems like an immersive sim in an open world. So many ways to tackle objectives, and the way you can kind of collect characters with unique skill set ups is really neat. As someone who ignored Watch Dogs previously, this one is really on my radar.

The raytracing looks gorgeous too.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s pretty crazy. I’ve never seen a non Nintendo console sell out preorders for launch in Australia. There’s just not normally enough demand and there’s always been overstock, but this launch both PlayStation and Xbox sold out instantly without a chance for mere mortals to get either. I managed to preorder a second shipment of Xbox (god knows what that means) and I’m rolling the dice on just hoping I get a PlayStation at some point

But I’ve secretly got my naive fingers crossed that somehow there will be plenty launch day and that it was all some sort of mixup at that the factory

I can dream

I'm pretty sure both the PS4 and Xbox One had supply issues at launch as well actually

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

I can dream

I'm pretty sure both the PS4 and Xbox One had supply issues at launch as well actually

They did in the United States. The Xbox One hit a million units sold, including pre-orders...a week after Playstation 4? Possibly less?

That being said, despite being only 7 years ago, online orders were not nearly as competitive (I think a bunch of people just didn't get their consoles). I picked up an Xbox One on Amazon with zero effort, and I knew at least one person who got a Playstation 4 the same way just as easily--he just went onto Amazon.com the day pre-orders went up.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Something interesting I've noticed after obsessively opening my Amazon order page several times a day. They added a note that says "We will notify you via email when the item is available." That's new. It's almost like they know we're all checking multiple times a day or something...

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Best Buy here in Canada still hasn't charged me, or updated my Series X preorder. Which is fine...I don't expect to get it on launch anyway. Earliest I expect to see it in my mail is Nov 12, and even that is pushing it with a holiday on the 11th.

• Options
    Something interesting I've noticed after obsessively opening my Amazon order page several times a day. They added a note that says "We will notify you via email when the item is available." That's new. It's almost like they know we're all checking multiple times a day or something...

Did it say something different before that? Because that's their "out of stock" message.

• Options

Did it say something different before that? Because that's their "out of stock" message.

Nah, this is on my order page. Before it simply said order date pending. I'm not talking about the product page. It's noticable because it's in all green text when it definitely wasn't there yesterday (I know, I check daily and also screen capped the order day one)

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    the sound of fabric rubbing against surfaces is bothersome to me and omg those gloves against everything is just D:

I want one of those fancy knives now.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/xbox-series-x-games-1-v-100/

This is not a drill, 1vs100 may be returning!!

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Something about the pristine environment, the fancy knife, the meticulous action, and the silence of the person makes me think this content creator's next unboxing video is going to be of the human chest cavity.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It should be noted that that soundbite came about when Phil Spencer was trying to fill time while an Xbox trivia event was having technical difficulties.
    During a FanFest live stream, Xbox boss Phil Spencer's scheduled participation in a virtual quiz was ruined by some technical issues, prompting Spencer to apologize to viewers, and within this apology is a pretty big hint at the return of 1 vs. 100.

“But for all the fans who have been on this with us, we’re going to make it good with you guys," said Spencer. "We don’t know exactly what it is yet, so thanks for hanging with us during this and our little experiment. We’ll learn. Maybe we should even be building our own trivia game, like from our past, that allows people to play a trivia game more often, maybe that could happen…”

I wouldn't jump up and down in joy quite yet.

That said, this seems like a no-brainer for "ready to please!" Microsoft.

• Options
    Y'all just don't understand true r e l a x a t i o n

• Options

It should be noted that that soundbite came about when Phil Spencer was trying to fill time while an Xbox trivia event was having technical difficulties.
    During a FanFest live stream, Xbox boss Phil Spencer's scheduled participation in a virtual quiz was ruined by some technical issues, prompting Spencer to apologize to viewers, and within this apology is a pretty big hint at the return of 1 vs. 100.

“But for all the fans who have been on this with us, we’re going to make it good with you guys," said Spencer. "We don’t know exactly what it is yet, so thanks for hanging with us during this and our little experiment. We’ll learn. Maybe we should even be building our own trivia game, like from our past, that allows people to play a trivia game more often, maybe that could happen…”

I wouldn't jump up and down in joy quite yet.

That said, this seems like a no-brainer for "ready to please!" Microsoft.

Phil's going to get put into timeout again, lol.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, there's what feels like a dozen different xbox apps now. Which one is the most current?

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So, there's what feels like a dozen different xbox apps now. Which one is the most current?

I still use the smartglass one from launch.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I am really irritated by way the new consoles have been released. I wish, rather than just letting whoever happens to be at the right website at the right day (or whoever has the best bots), they had offered the consoles to people who had accounts on their systems with over a certain threshold of playtime in the previous generation. It pisses me off that while I've been playing Xbox for 13 years, some scalper will be getting a new system to resell at a mark-up while I can't get one.

*bitching mode deactivate*

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

This would make me

SO HAPPY.

• Options

I still use the smartglass one from launch.

Is there a way to use a different app? Mine just updated and I really hate it. It doesn't always con ext and it takes 3 menus to get to the remote. Before on the bottom it showed what was playing and had a little remote butting.

Minor inconvenience I know, but that's what I used the app for.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    I am really irritated by way the new consoles have been released. I wish, rather than just letting whoever happens to be at the right website at the right day (or whoever has the best bots), they had offered the consoles to people who had accounts on their systems with over a certain threshold of playtime in the previous generation. It pisses me off that while I've been playing Xbox for 13 years, some scalper will be getting a new system to resell at a mark-up while I can't get one.

*bitching mode deactivate*

This is what Sony pretended to do but didn't actually. I'll just say this idea certainly had its detractors.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    There's the new Xbox Beta app as well to try

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen