As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I read that earlier, but I'm kind of ??? on what that would mean.

I guess it maybe means PURPLE PROSE AND CAMEOS: Xbox Edition is a thing. Or maybe it does not. We do not know the meaning of the things yet to be beheld in our miniature mind boxes. The fruitage of discovery is just beyond the rounds of the corner undereach.

Kojima demonstrates the latest in animal bowel dropping modeling on Xbox Series consoles.

No, but seriously, it'd probably be a big deal. If it happened. Xbox or not, one has to imagine Kojima is going to go all out with his first entry on the new generation of console hardware.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm a Kojima fan, even tho I acknowledge he has some... Bad ideas for women characters. I think a horror game by him (which this is hinting at maybe being) could be huge.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I'm a Kojima fan, even tho I acknowledge he has some... Bad ideas for women characters. I think a horror game by him (which this is hinting at maybe being) could be huge.

He has some terrible ideas for male characters--and their crotches, as circumstances allow--but yeah, he has a clear love for the most absurdist Hollywood clichés for leading heroines of the last several decades, among other things.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I think his stories are kinda rubbish and needs an editor to rein him in, but people love his shit so whatever, have fun. I liked fucking around in the last MGS I guess. V? Whatever it was.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I think his stories are kinda rubbish and needs an editor to rein him in, but people love his shit so whatever, have fun. I liked fucking around in the last MGS I guess. V? Whatever it was.

*drops an encyclopedia of exposition on Nosf before he opens a door*

Beyond the door:
    A screen that simply says... Game Over.

There is another door in the distance.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Was playing children of morta then died and it had like a runtime record screen and I quit in frustration, I didn’t realise it was a roguelike, how heavy is the roguelike elements cos like the first quest I did it failed hard and I’m not in the mood for constant failing and starting again, but was enjoying the narrative framing

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Was playing children of morta then died and it had like a runtime record screen and I quit in frustration, I didn’t realise it was a roguelike, how heavy is the roguelike elements cos like the first quest I did it failed hard and I’m not in the mood for constant failing and starting again, but was enjoying the narrative framing

Haven't tried it, but I do know a couple of people whose opinions I often (but not always) align with were very into it. Like Jim Sterling. Whenever I thought to play this, I just went back to Hades instead, is the thing.
    https://youtu.be/YzD_4NmWxvo

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Prohass wrote: »

The die, restart, die, loop is pretty light. It's worst at the beginning but you pretty easily get cash to buy upgrades that eventually let you cruise.

Edit: it's also not one of those where you start at the beginning each time. Each zone is 3 ish levels and a boss. Once you clear the zone you're good and don't have to repeat it unless you choose too

Carpy on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah I’ll probably come back to it then, I’m not totally opposed to some light roguelike elements but just not in the mood for that kind of gameplay at the moment

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Worth remembering that Metal Gear Solid V was the very first trailer shown for the first E3 of the XBO/PS4 generation, and Hideo Kojima himself showed up on-stage at that Xbox conference

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Keep forgetting to bring these up here... not this time!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    If you're in the UK, and you want one of the Xbox Series expansion cards from Seagate--Currys is discounting them by £40. Still, might be cheaper to import one from the US.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So my 360 red-dotted yesterday.

I've only had my Series S for less than two months, but thinking I might upgrade to the X so I have a disc drive for my old xbox games and dvd/blueray player.

Seems like the series S has become easier to find, is the X still scarce?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Since it's back on game pass I'll give GTAV a try, I've not played a GTA game since I 100'd Vice City and got hella burnout.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Since it's back on game pass I'll give GTAV a try, I've not played a GTA game since I 100'd Vice City and got hella burnout.

5 is pretty fun with some questionable story choices. The world is fucking huge.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So my 360 red-dotted yesterday.

I've only had my Series S for less than two months, but thinking I might upgrade to the X so I have a disc drive for my old xbox games and dvd/blueray player.

Seems like the series S has become easier to find, is the X still scarce?

The X is still not easy to find if you aren't following drop announcements and stuff.

I'd love to grab one but my S is doing just fine in the meantime.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I’m just getting started but I’m kind of digging outriders. I never got into destiny and haven’t played borderlands since 1 so it feels new to me. If anyone’s up for a game let me know. I’m still very early on.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    "Undead Scottsman" dude, if you're playing solo turn the difficultly down. that is WHY it's designed like this and uses the diablo 3 style system.

I've not seen that mentioned anywhere in the game. Is that something the developers have said, or just your opinion? I'm actually at level 9 and seem to be doing fine solo so long as I keep my weaponry up to snuff. As far as I've seen, playing in multiplayer ups the number of monsters, so the MP difficulty spike is built into the game and is not part of the difficulty level system.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    "Undead Scottsman" dude, if you're playing solo turn the difficultly down. that is WHY it's designed like this and uses the diablo 3 style system.

I've not seen that mentioned anywhere in the game. Is that something the developers have said, or just your opinion? I'm actually at level 9 and seem to be doing fine solo so long as I keep my weaponry up to snuff. As far as I've seen, playing in multiplayer ups the number of monsters, so the MP difficulty spike is built into the game and is not part of the difficulty level system.

if you die enough times in a row, it tells you that maybe you should turn your world tier down.

if you're not keeping your overall item level up you will also be weaker vs the level of the monsters you're fighting. Both in the form of stat bonuses and eating more damage. A 100 DMG 2000 FP gun is weaker than a 100 DMG 3000 FP gun, as higher FP allows the guns to do more damage.

It is my assumption that the same applies to armor and item level to some extent, such that the percentage shown is the reduction vs an opponent of your level, and the reduction is less for higher level enemies as they would have higher stats too. but idk.

• Options

if you die enough times in a row, it tells you that maybe you should turn your world tier down.

if you're not keeping your overall item level up you will also be weaker vs the level of the monsters you're fighting. Both in the form of stat bonuses and eating more damage. A 100 DMG 2000 FP gun is weaker than a 100 DMG 3000 FP gun, as higher FP allows the guns to do more damage.

It is my assumption that the same applies to armor and item level to some extent, such that the percentage shown is the reduction vs an opponent of your level, and the reduction is less for higher level enemies as they would have higher stats too. but idk.

At higher world tiers/level everything seems to do a shit ton of damage and take a long time to die.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    One thing I didn't realize is you lose mastery XP when you die, so if you're dying a bunch to the same encounter, you'll still level up your character, but you won't level up your difficulty level.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

no man, that's the entire design/concept. Play as high as you can, get good loot, than turn it down a bit, keep on going, rinse and repeat. that is why the system exists.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

no man, that's the entire design/concept. Play as high as you can, get good loot, than turn it down a bit, keep on going, rinse and repeat. that is why the system exists.

But what does that have to do with playing solo?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

But what does that have to do with playing solo?

if playing in a group you can self-revive as well as revive other players. Neither of those are a option when you go down in solo mode. it's also just straight up easier in general, the enemies scale to the group but with 3 of you you can overcome this. solo you don't have a safety net, if it's super hard turn it down to keep having fun, that's why you can do that.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Would be nice to have at least one self-revive though... I think Pyro can do it at least once?

Dunno what they did, but I've frozen or crashed three times today...

• Options
    The dev can have one basically do over ever 3 minutes if you take it from the later tank tree. I honestly wonder if I chose the wrong class since it seems like while its a hardy class it lacks the killing ability of the other classes and endgame is all about the burn down and not staying alive.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I picked technomancer to be a sniper and wound up with a machine gun build, so best laid plans and all that.

I do wish you could have more than 3 skills. I need that heal and the toxic bullets skill is what my character is built around, so I can't grab a second turret. :(

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Deliver Us the Moon was a good rec, thanks to whoever suggested getting to it before it leaves Gamepass. It was a quick playthrough too, like 5-6 hours.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Well, that backfired spectacularly. Did you know that if you're using the Twitch app on Xbox to stream, it won't let you broadcast Gears Tactics?

Me neither! And apparently, I'm not the only person to run into this, but I can't find an explanation anywhere. It seems that if you're using an exterior setup, it's streamable and not on Twitch's list of banned games.

I tried reaching out to Xbox to see if there's a list of games they don't allow to be streamed via the app, but I was told it was a Telwitch thing and to ask them, so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Anyway, ended up playing Gato Roboto instead, before it leaves Game Pass. Immediately bought it after the stream-- it's an already cheap game made cheaper by the Game Pass discount. I highly recommend checking it out, particularly if you like cats and/or Metroidvanias (I call it a "Catroidvania").

Curiously, the game's website links to Switch and Steam versions, but not Xbox. =(

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That sounds utterly wild. Hwat in tarnation

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Probably the most like reason is 'licensing'.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21WuAGSMPo

they keep adding new campaigns and content to these old-ass games. Absolutely insane. These people cannot be stopped. Incredible

Oh, and a new Age of Empires is still happening I guess. Looks like ass. Mechanically extremely interesting riffs on the AoE2 formula though
    I think it's a credit to Xbox that they're the only major publisher still committed to the RTS genre lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaCrP_U4ao

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I don't think it looks like ass? I'm hoping it's a solid rts, not many of those these days.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I meant visually at the moment it looks pretty unpolished (especially the weird looking giant arrows)and some of the models look pretty rudimentary

It looks like it's doing a lot of cool things with the age of empires formula so to be clear I'm actually legitimately excited to see more of the game, it just looks really rough right now

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    The arrows look like they are from Gauntlet Legends on the N64.

But they likely had to exaggerate the size to make them visible at super high resolutions.

Game looks excellent and the colorful design helps distinguish units as civs appear to be very different from each other.

AoE 2 has some stuff on the way. Like co-op campaigns.

AoE 3 will get USA on April 13. Likely starting as the Thirteen Colonies.Then it appears later Ethiopia and Barbary States will join.

Hoping the Apache Nations and Italy are added later.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

In the demo it asked if you want the world to level automatically. If you say yes, the difficulty gets bumped when you level.

I turned it off when the bosses we getting really tough for some reason, and I realised the difficulty had been bumped 3 times.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

In the demo it asked if you want the world to level automatically. If you say yes, the difficulty gets bumped when you level.

I turned it off when the bosses we getting really tough for some reason, and I realised the difficulty had been bumped 3 times.

The difference for most classes is using an ammo power versus not using one. Enemies at higher level have higher "resists" and the ammo powers in the game basically ignore that without having to talent into an innate resist killer, and if you chose the devastator they don't get an ammo power at all, so unless you know to take "resist pierce" above all other talents you have a lot rougher time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    People are scalping the Microsoft headsets?

come on.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    People are scalping the Microsoft headsets?

come on.

No, the Microsoft headsets are scalping people.

They're doing a full product recall.

• Options

Well, that backfired spectacularly. Did you know that if you're using the Twitch app on Xbox to stream, it won't let you broadcast Gears Tactics?

Me neither! And apparently, I'm not the only person to run into this, but I can't find an explanation anywhere. It seems that if you're using an exterior setup, it's streamable and not on Twitch's list of banned games.

I tried reaching out to Xbox to see if there's a list of games they don't allow to be streamed via the app, but I was told it was a Telwitch thing and to ask them, so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Anyway, ended up playing Gato Roboto instead, before it leaves Game Pass. Immediately bought it after the stream-- it's an already cheap game made cheaper by the Game Pass discount. I highly recommend checking it out, particularly if you like cats and/or Metroidvanias (I call it a "Catroidvania").

Curiously, the game's website links to Switch and Steam versions, but not Xbox. =(

Bummer, sorry to hear that didn't work out for you.