As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    There clearly needs to be more flags in that background. Jesus.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    There are some big climate things that could have happened with a stronger Dem majority though. Things that need to happen.

Hopefully we'll have a chance in the future still

Oh, you're 100% right, none of the things a president can do alone are enough, but, they might be enough that if we can win NEXT time then we can engage in a brutally painful climate action plan. Effectively a delaying action hoping for support from technology, and other nations.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    There clearly needs to be more flags in that background. Jesus.

i kind of want him to appear from behind one of them, as if he's been there all night

this is probably the only time i've ever wanted this man to appear anywhere but a court

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

And then hit them some more because fuck Nazis

Naw, this is bullshit framing. A decent portion (and I'd argue a majority) of Trump voters are people who generally don't pay attention but the Republicans are their team and Trump is the Republican so they vote for their team. The dipshits driving around in trucks with Trump flags? They don't give a shit about what Trump has done. They likely literally don't know what he's done. But he's on their team so fuck you, you sad democraptic libs. Suck on my coal rolling trump flag sporting tailgate you worthless fucks.

That's literally as far as their thinking goes.

And in order to get them to see that "Uh no, actually, Trump is pretty ok with nazis so maybe don't vote for him?" you have to get through Fox News and more importantly social media propaganda.

It shouldn't be surprising that's a hard nut to crack.

Try convincing a Packers fan to root for the Vikings because the Packers, the team they're intentionally blind fans of because then they don't have to pay attention, are pro-nazi.

It's not impossible but good-fucking-luck.

All of that was true for the Nazis as well.

I was disputing the the assertion that every republican voter, or even a majority of them, is a Nazi.

So I guess my question would be: Do you have a point?

If you happily associate with Nazi's, you're a Nazi.

That has fuckall to do with what I was saying.

Try harder with the reading comprehension.

I would perhaps step back and ask why you are trying to defend people who support Nazi's.

Because I don't accept the premise that they're supporting Nazis rather than the political party that they view as their team out of apathetic ignorance.

*edit*
    To which the obvious reply is "But they should know!"

Except they don't. And they're being lied to in a fantastic fashion that they would only be aware of if they were paying attention but that brings us back to the previous sentence.

Point being from the start: I don't buy that there is over 60 million Nazis in this country. I think that's a fantastically simplistic and ignorant framing that does nothing to address the actual problems.

HappylilElf on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The best news so far is probably that nothing blew up that we know of. No massive direct hacking campaigns from Russia, no riots at polling places, etc. Election day itself seems to have gone without much drama.

Probably does take more than 4 years to totally fuck up hundreds of years of what people got used to
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

Naw, this is bullshit framing. A decent portion (and I'd argue a majority) of Trump voters are people who generally don't pay attention but the Republicans are their team and Trump is the Republican so they vote for their team. The dipshits driving around in trucks with Trump flags? They don't give a shit about what Trump has done. They likely literally don't know what he's done. But he's on their team so fuck you, you sad democraptic libs. Suck on my coal rolling trump flag sporting tailgate you worthless fucks.

And in order to get them to see that "Uh no, actually, Trump is pretty ok with nazis so maybe don't vote for him?" you have to get through Fox News and more importantly social media propaganda.

Try convincing a Packers fan to root for the Vikings because the Packers, the team they're intentionally blind fans of because then they don't have to pay attention, are pro-nazi.

I was disputing the the assertion that every republican voter, or even a majority of them, is a Nazi.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if you believed in Hitler and his ideals. As long as you helped him get to power, what else were you but a Nazi, in the end?

Similar here, it's not about intent, but action. I can't look into people's heads. I can look at what they do.

What’s the saying, “What do you call 11 people at a table listening to a Nazi? A dozen Nazis.”

That’s my point.

Even more so, history doesn't look fondly on the people who didn't see the signs and did nothing to stop the Nazis. The parties infighting or doing nothing back then are, in the best light, seen as useful idiots that were blind to the numerous signs around them. Principle, blindness, I don't care. If you don't see or don't want to see the signs, it's your own problem. And much more so now, going on 90 years after the original Nazis started their rise to power.

Good luck America. For this election and all that is to come.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

I would perhaps step back and ask why you are trying to defend people who support Nazi's.

Because I don't accept the premise that they're supporting Nazis rather than the political party that they view as their team out of apathetic ignorance.

It’s the apathy that makes them complicit.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So was Texas closer than usual? Or do we not have results enough yet. It seems to be forever purple

Texas was a legit toss up. It was unlikely, but the chance was very real.

The surprise seems to have been a collapse in support for Democrats amongst Hispanics? Which, is very odd because this administration has been the most anti hispanic administration in American history.

If anything does turn out to have happened 'conspiracy' wise, I'd predict that we found out that signature matching on Hispanic Women turned out to be FAR stricter than on any other group. But, it somehow seems that they just really don't like Biden?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

To everyone not on their team, what is the functional difference?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Let's just accept for now that there are different perspectives at play but the outcome is still dead people.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Oregon's measures passed legalizing drugs, so that's nice.

Yes, that's right. Drugs.

ALL THE DRUGS.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    So was Texas closer than usual? Or do we not have results enough yet. It seems to be forever purple

It's complicated:

The Ds outperformed everywhere in TX except for Hispanic areas that they'd dominated in past elections. I think if their Hispanic outreach had been better, they'd have had a real shot of flipping TX. There's just no excuse for the numbers in that tweet. I'm not going to wish getting fired on someone during the Pandemic, but the Ds really need to fix a lot of things WRT to Hispanic voters.

• GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    Unless Trump's rather considerable leads in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania end up collapsing, this is basically a repeat of 2016 minus Arizona.

Wisconsin's count is missing more than half of Milwaukee County among other things, which will be at least +50,000 in Biden's favor (but probably closer to 100,000).

Pennsylvania's count is missing 30-40% of Philadelphia's votes.

Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania all have a bunch of absentee ballots to be counted. In some cases (like Pennsylvania, this is apparently 100,000s of ballots from around Philadelphia). Regardless of your propensity to doomsaying or jubilation, you're not going to have a result today.

(Also, as for part of the reason behind this slowness, absentee ballots generally take longer to count.)

Yes, I don't doubt it. But this election is now at the firewall states. Florida was widely thought to have been in play and not only stayed red but ended up going to Trump by an even wider margin than 2016.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    lot of goblets in the white house

very odd

• worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Texas was a legit toss up. It was unlikely, but the chance was very real.

The surprise seems to have been a collapse in support for Democrats amongst Hispanics? Which, is very odd because this administration has been the most anti hispanic administration in American history.

If anything does turn out to have happened 'conspiracy' wise, I'd predict that we found out that signature matching on Hispanic Women turned out to be FAR stricter than on any other group. But, it somehow seems that they just really don't like Biden?

I’m a white guy that lives in Utah so I can’t say I understand what it is like to be Hispanic in Texas and Florida but I am baffled by this as well.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It is extra special useless to use this space to call each other nazis, and for the love of God if you can't see how there's a tomorrow go to bed.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I went to bed at 9 and woke up a few minutes ago.

As a Georgian, what.

I did not expect Biden to have a real chance here

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

It's complicated:

The Ds outperformed everywhere in TX except for Hispanic areas that they'd dominated in past elections. I think if their Hispanic outreach had been better, they'd have had a real shot of flipping TX. There's just no excuse for the numbers in that tweet. I'm not going to wish getting fired on someone during the Pandemic, but the Ds really need to fix a lot of things WRT to Hispanic voters.

I get that the outreach should be better, but it’s also kind of a bummer that trumps overt racism didn’t seem to turn many off

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm once again wildly disappointed in my country.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Unless Trump's rather considerable leads in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania end up collapsing, this is basically a repeat of 2016 minus Arizona.

Wisconsin's count is missing more than half of Milwaukee County among other things, which will be at least +50,000 in Biden's favor (but probably closer to 100,000).

Pennsylvania's count is missing 30-40% of Philadelphia's votes.

Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania all have a bunch of absentee ballots to be counted. In some cases (like Pennsylvania, this is apparently 100,000s of ballots from around Philadelphia). Regardless of your propensity to doomsaying or jubilation, you're not going to have a result today.

(Also, as for part of the reason behind this slowness, absentee ballots generally take longer to count.)

Yes, I don't doubt it. But this election is now at the firewall states. Florida was widely thought to have been in play and not only stayed red but ended up going to Trump by an even wider margin than 2016.

COVID killing so many Floridians seemed to make trump more popular. It’s shit like this that means even if we win I feel like we all still lose

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's complicated:

Not all the hispanic areas though it seems. At least, from what I read.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

It's complicated:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/sta tus/1323871035251449859

Zapata county has about 3,000 voters, so you're talking about a swing of, like, 1k people.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Doesn’t seem like it’s all that different from the ACAB sentiment.

Republican politicians are supported by Republican voters (and gerrymandering and ratfucking and rural areas/states having disproportionate power through the electoral college and and and), and while Nazi is obviously a very loaded term, as an outsider it’s not easy to handwave away “oh, just around half of their people vote, and just around half of them support a blast at white supremacist, but despite that mathing out to maybe 1/4’ish of the voting eligible population, the racists and xenophobes and assholes are in charge, and might even get in again after a massive effort to point out how racist and xenophobic and asshole’ish they are.

Hyperbole aside, squeaking out a bare win tells the rest of the world a lot of things in aggregate, few of them positive.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

They don't support Nazis, just nazi talking points. You're probably making the mistake of comparing the second evolution of the Nazis to the first evolution of the Red Hats. MAGA idiots are just waiting to evolve into something like American Nazis. The Nazis started out as something less dangerous.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Kind of depends on how you define good and bad. Trump winning is the apocalyptically bad result. The awesome result would have been Trump getting Mondaled and we know that isn't going to happen. Biden winning cleanly and taking the Senate would be good. Personally I would consider Biden winning after an ugly contested election and ending up stymied from even a chance at any of the reforms needed to fix the country by a hostile Senate to be a bad result. Not as bad as it could be but still bad.

The good thing about Biden taking the presidency, even without the Senate, is that our two most important priorities are (or should be)...

1) Climate Change
    2) Virus response

Now, on Virus response, I don't think the Senate or the Court has the 'cajones' to tell Biden he CANT enable the CDC and put medical professionals in charge, and have the CDC etc use the powers it already has (which are sweeping). On Climate Change, strong action is needed, but, the majority of the decisions etc are made by the federal agencies which Biden can take charge of and start doing important stuff again. We have many good rules in place, Biden could just start enforcing them. Fortunately thanks to technological progress there is a shit ton of unobjectionable low hanging fruit to pick which is literally free to start doing.

The catastrophe of not having the senate will be on racial justice, but, there are many things that Biden can just stop doing there to help significantly. Many programs etc which lie in the hands of the president and are just being corrupted, or not used. The senate won't have the house, they can't actually pass any laws, so it's really a question of 'Do Republicans hate this program enough to have the court stop it?'

I think an even greater issue is that without serious electoral and structural reform the federal government is only going to become less representative every election which will eventually have dire consequences.

Also OMG why does he need 20 American flags on stage.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's complicated:

Wonder how much voter suppression played a part

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It's complicated:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/sta tus/1323871035251449859

Zapata county has about 3,000 voters, so you're talking about a swing of, like, 1k people.

Yeah, but's indicative of under-performance in a lot of majority Hispanic counties in TX and other states.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

So... what? What does that mean to you? Does their ignorance change the moral calculus of their actions? Are you more encouraged by separating the ignorant from the 'true' Nazis because there's then less of them?

And I am not being snarky or anything. If you have a line of thought about how this works in your head, I'd like to hear it. I doubt it will make me change my opinion on who is or isn't a Nazi, buf I am open to being enlightened here

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

It's complicated:

Wonder how much voter suppression played a part

I'm certainly wondering just generally what the rejection rate on ballots looks like. That's one of the BIG BIG problems with mail-in voting. The signature matching and the various hoops you need to jump through are a huge tool of disenfranchisement.

edited November 2020
    *snip*
    Saw the mod post, apologies.
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Let's just accept for now that there are different perspectives at play but the outcome is still dead people.

This I 100% agree with. Republicans being kicked the fuck out is critical. I'm extremely disappointed that the vote hasn't been coming up in a fashion that signals Trumpism being ejected into god damned space.

HappylilElf on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Back of the napkin, looking at what's left, I think we're gonna get there in Georgia.

I guess I could have just trusted the Needle instead of doing it myself.

Around 450k vote left - early votes/absentee mostly in heavily leaning blue counties. Biden should win by about 75%.

Gives just over 200k vote lift. He's down 120k. He'd end about 1.6% ahead. Beyond Recount.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Also, just a little thing, when Biden spoke they said he's going to speak and cut to him as he got on stage and then he spoke. Trump has supposedly been about to speak for like ten minutes and so they've just been showing an empty stage with like twenty goddamn flags while trying to fill the dead air with correspondents.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nobody is wearing a mask at this thing.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If Georgia happens, surprise of the night, bar none.

So... what? What does that mean to you? Does their ignorance change the moral calculus of their actions? Are you more encouraged by separating the ignorant from the 'true' Nazis because there's then less of them?

And I am not being snarky or anything. If you have a line of thought about how this works in your head, I'd like to hear it. I doubt it will make me change my opinion on who is or isn't a Nazi, buf I am open to being enlightened here

I'm PM you. Maybe. It's late and I'm too many boozes in and oh god fucking damnit now dipshit is gonna speak

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Whatever happens this election I'm just baffled that an election where one side is a lying, racist, misogynistic, narcissistic, jingoistic, anti-democratic wannabe-dictator asshole is this close.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    lot of goblets in the white house

very odd

Very much trump's style.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    If Georgia happens, surprise of the night, bar none.

I'll take all of the credit, thank you.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trump is bragging about winning Texas.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trump is bragging about winning Texas.

And florida, apparently no one thought he'd win his own state?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited November 2020
    I swear to god no matter how this ends up it's entirely possible that I'm going to develop a disorder where I just bite anyone who says "phenomenal" as an involuntary reflex

HappylilElf on
This discussion has been closed.