As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

1939495969799»

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    50+1 does the job just fine, imo. Fuck political capital. Nuke the filibuster and pass every single voting reform you can possibly think of to try and solidify control of the House make DC a state, pack the court.

Javen on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So WI has one drop of absentee ballots or are there more after this?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    cbs says Wisconsin has 700k votes outstanding

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Gotta say, I am feeling profoundly disappointed here. Like, I assume Joe can still win and that's cool and all, but fuckin' hell this should be a totally one sided blowout, and that it's ending up such a close race is just despair inducing all on it's own, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    HappylilElf was warned for this.
    Zavian wrote: »
    The US has always been a deeply conservative and selfish country that always gives passive consent to foreign wars, extrajudicial assassination programs, and countless war crimes. I'm not very surprised by the close results. An imperialistic country with a strong military fetish is usually going to trend towards "power daddies"

Super informative and insightful take broseph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o

ceres on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    50+1 does the job just fine, imo. Fuck political capital. Nuke the filibuster and pass every single voting reform you can possibly think of to try and solidify control of the House make DC a state, pack the court.

Will conservative Democrats go for it, though? You've got to deal with people who are basically Republicans but happen to have a D next to their name. 50 Senators means they dictate how progressive you're allowed to be.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    You want to bank as many senators as you can because the fickle US electorate + the bullshit setup of the Senate means you might lose seats in the Senate, so the more over the 50% mark you are, the less likely you lose the majority.

Also people need to keep in mind, our system is largely bullshit. EC likely suppresses overall turnout and is the biggest reason that Trump even stands a chance because the founding fathers were assholes.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    As far as I know nobody is surprised that Trump is trying to steal the election and there is absolutely reason to be concerned he will succeed. Him announcing he intends to steal the election isn't success though.

Quire.jpg
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Biden winning by a slim margin is a concession prize (ableit a big one). My country deeply disappointed me tonight. More than ever before in my lifetime.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I’m fine, just... fucking tired of being right. So, so tired of being right.

I claim that Donald will try to ratfuck the states not done counting. “That’ll never happen, go to bed.” And it happens.

The SC will hear the case and give him the win. I mean, it’s a 6-3 conservative heavy court, of course they’ll side with him. It’s their decision on wether to take the case-which they will- and they’ll give baby his bottle and that’s the democracy.

just so you're aware, unless i'm badly misinformed, there is no path to simply call up the supreme court and have this heard.

so, you're not right.

there is also a huge difference between a conservative supreme court justice siding with trump on abortion rights, discrimination legislation, or immigration, and siding with him on bringing down the American democracy

After tonight, I don’t think anything’s out of the fucking question. Even if Biden pulls it out, Trump will have his lawyers make the case and they’ll at least offer it to the SC. Do they take it? Maybe, maybe not. But counting needs to be 24/7 until it’s all done now.

Yup.

Trump was right about one thing, though.

"On November 4th, they won't be talking about Covid".

I'm really fucking angry right now. Win or lose for Biden, America is fucked. There's no repudiation of Trump. This is who America is. This is who America wants to be. There's no future.

Even if Biden crosses the line (still hopeful), and doesn't have a hostile Senate, maybe in 2 years, almost certainly 4, America goes back to being fucking stupid again.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    WI is not looking amazing. Trump holding his own in the vote total with over 100k lead.

40 minutes is when Milwaukee posts their absentee totals. People are expecting 100k+ for Biden in them.

he's down more than 115K I believe. It better be a strong result.

Milwaukee County in 2016 recorded 420k votes for a margin of +162k D

It has so far in 2020 recorded 240k votes for a margin of +53k D. It is believed to have about 300k votes remaining to be counted, and those votes should lean extremely heavily D because they are absentee and not day-of.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

If the first thing a democrat led Senate does isn't passing a goddamn covid relief bill they clearly don't want to win.

Quire.jpg
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Will conservative Democrats go for it, though? You've got to deal with people who are basically Republicans but happen to have a D next to their name. 50 Senators means they dictate how progressive you're allowed to be.

There uh, aren't really all that many really conservative senators left. Jones lost. Manchin has seemed on board. That's kind of about it.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Houston Chronicle reporter

Republicans are winning or have won 24 of 27 U.S. House races listed as "toss-ups" by
    @nytimes
    ... and 13 of 36 ones listed under "Democrats expected to win narrowly."

The panicking, it was not enough.

ztrEPtD.gif
    MorganV wrote: »

I claim that Donald will try to ratfuck the states not done counting. “That’ll never happen, go to bed.” And it happens.

The SC will hear the case and give him the win. I mean, it’s a 6-3 conservative heavy court, of course they’ll side with him. It’s their decision on wether to take the case-which they will- and they’ll give baby his bottle and that’s the democracy.

just so you're aware, unless i'm badly misinformed, there is no path to simply call up the supreme court and have this heard.

so, you're not right.

there is also a huge difference between a conservative supreme court justice siding with trump on abortion rights, discrimination legislation, or immigration, and siding with him on bringing down the American democracy

After tonight, I don’t think anything’s out of the fucking question. Even if Biden pulls it out, Trump will have his lawyers make the case and they’ll at least offer it to the SC. Do they take it? Maybe, maybe not. But counting needs to be 24/7 until it’s all done now.

Yup.

I'm really fucking angry right now. Win or lose for Biden, America is fucked. There's no repudiation of Trump. This is who America is. This is who America wants to be. There's no future.

Even if Biden crosses the line (still hopeful), and doesn't have a hostile Senate, maybe in 2 years, almost certainly 4, America goes back to being fucking stupid again.

This is why I had close to zero optimism on this, why I paid no attention to polls, and why the pollsters need to kindly fuck off forever. Because it amounted to sunshine and rainbows getting blown up our ass and blinded us to the fact that yes, massive swathes of our populace are raging, evil assholes who support shit like this.

steam_sig.png
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Republicans are winning or have won 24 of 27 U.S. House races listed as "toss-ups" by
    @nytimes

I was more worried until I noticed it says "are winning".

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

@nytimes

This is an extremely deceptive thing to tweet, when many of those races that Republicans are "winning" at the moment will swing considerably to blue once the counting is finished.

In 2018, the result was considered tepid in the House for Democrats on the night of the election. It took weeks of absentee and mail-in counting to realize it was actually much bigger than it looked.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So if Biden wins Nevada and Wisconsin then he is sitting at 254. Winning any of Michigan, Pennsylvania or Georgia gets him to 270?

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Nevermind

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

so, you're not right.

Yup.

This is why I had close to zero optimism on this, why I paid no attention to polls, and why the pollsters need to kindly fuck off forever. Because it amounted to sunshine and rainbows getting blown up our ass and blinded us to the fact that yes, massive swathes of our populace are raging, evil assholes who support shit like this.

Race was always within the margin of error. There's a reason I flinched every time Pennsylvania dropped in the polls.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

@nytimes

I just,,,how!? They aren’t economically better, is it just racism? Is that all it fucking takes? Republicans repeatedly crater their economies and somehow voters just keep coming back for more

Like the cult of Trump I get, but these people and their mediocrity and just always being given it all and repeatedly driving it off a cliff

So much of America is so fucking stupid, after all this shit with covid, it’s somehow the Republican Party that wins tossups

HOW

Prohass on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The US has always been a deeply conservative and selfish country that always gives passive consent to foreign wars, extrajudicial assassination programs, and countless war crimes. I'm not very surprised by the close results. An imperialistic country with a strong military fetish is usually going to trend towards "power daddies"

True though

Like the last election was won by a textbook fascist. He's fighting pretty hard this time too.

Solar on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

@nytimes

I just,,,how!? They aren’t economically better, is it just racism? Is that all it fucking takes? Republicans repeatedly crater their economies and somehow voters just keep coming back for more

They haven't finished counting yet.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    So if Biden wins Nevada and Wisconsin then he is sitting at 254. Winning any of Michigan, Pennsylvania or Georgia gets him to 270?

Yeah. AZ was huge (if it sticks?)

Maybe I’m being dumb but I’m pretty confident I WI and Mi based somewhat on what’s left and also based on the fact polling doesn’t seem to be THAT off to flip those.

It’d be a super weird electorate that flipped AZ and made GA super tight (if not flipped) and doesn’t deliver WI and MI

616610-1.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

So are you saying the war crimes didn't happen or

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

North Carolina is still in play as well, but we'd also need the swing EC from Maine, since it's 15 ECs, so by itself it would tie things. Problem is we have to wait to officially hit a point where it's no longer in question because none of those are going to likely be called soon.

@nytimes

Democrats want them to actually have to work to better themselves.

Republicans offer the chance to blame someone else who may or may not actually be the cause of your problems, but it makes you feel like you’re not at fault and you don’t have to put down your beer to do it. Sure, stuff may stay bad, but you can get consoled with knowing someone else might be at fault (even if they’re really not).

steam_sig.png
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

@nytimes

Like the cult of Trump I get, but these people and their mediocrity and just always being given it all and repeatedly driving it off a cliff

So much of America is so fucking stupid, after all this shit with covid, it’s somehow the Republican Party that wins tossups

HOW

Bunch of men entering the workforce in 90s without going to college and watching the US enter NAFTA and various other global trade deals very much dislike Democrats and will probably never get over it.

Oh and evangelical christians really want to enshrine their beliefs into law.

Tumin on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    People don't vote in line with their interest, they vote in line with their values

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    CBS going hard that Trump's full of shit and has no legal standing to stop counting or throw out legit ballots. Very adamant vote counting is not a partisan issue.

NBC just bringing on constitutional historians but not pushing back themselves. Cowards.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Wait: wrong numbers

Fencingsax on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’ve been using CBS in the background to keep up. They’ve slow but accurate, so if you like boring they’re a good way to keep up.

Not the best night, but right now Biden’s path to the end is better than Trump’s. Our best hope for Biden, a hobbled presidency, is on on the table.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I will take anything that prevents the lovecraftian horror of a trump presidency.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This is a slight improvement over what I woke up to in 2016, but still horrible. Even on the irrelevant, but nice to have, national popular vote numbers Biden isn't doing better than Clinton was. Votes still need to be counted and margin of error, but damn.

Addendum: The burrito wrapped in a quesadilla was decadently awesome. The beer less so because the good bar near me had closed so I had to get Braník from the local potraviny (Kwik-E-Mart).

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i know there's a lot of negativity about this in here. it also was mentioned that what this result presents of america to the world is pretty grim. from an outsider's perspective i want to disagree with that a little bit.

while i don't really understand trump supporters either, i will say that for a liberal political party to win an election in this particular year by even the slimmest margin will be an impressive feat. america can be proud of the fact it didn't just stand up for decency this year - which might have been enough to win an election soundly - it stood up for progress. progress is scary. a lot of voters don't really like progress. the #blm protests came in demand of progress, and they were loud. there's no way you could not forsee that it could startle a lot of conservative america out of its bemusement with donald trump the caricature.

in addition to this, strong authoritarian controls on covid are scary, and that's what controlling it takes. these aren't simple issues. there are reasons close to home to a lot of american values that mask-wearing and bar-closures and curfews and city-wide shutdowns goes fundamentally against. it's also gut-wrenchingly hard on economies in the short-term, and it's hard to see past that to the big picture sometimes without excellent financial and scientific literacy.

you did ok. take deep breaths. if biden ultimately wins, the slim margin may feel like an impossible asterisk on it in this moment. but it's not. the asterisk will fade with time, and america will have overthrown its idiot-in-chief at a very tricky moment to do so.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    I just want to say this: I’m sorry for coming off like I have.

I’m furious. I’m frustrated. I am absolutely beyond angry at all of this, but I know there’s a few of us who are trying to keep hope alive, that things aren’t going to hell. I’m not trying to personally attack anyone, and if I inadvertently did, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. You guys are pretty much the only bunch outside my family I even talk with due to all this shit.

My only thing is I remember the year we don’t talk about, and it was just... breaking. It was goddamned hard to see everything we could have been come crashing down and everything we’ve witnessed happen.

Everything this season was giving me flashbacks to it, and this... all this... it’s just almost too much.

It’s just... we ought to have seen this coming. I mean, the polls were blowing smoke and sunshine and none of us stopped to consider if the polls were wrong, if Nate and the rest had blown it like he had in that certain year.

This is all I can do. Just rage and scream into the ether because it’s frustrating to know how many other people are this close to having to go through hell and brimstone because of this, and that makes me angry because they don’t deserve to have to suffer because someone else says ‘fuck you, got mine’ or whatever.

I’m a white guy. I don’t have to worry about a lot of the shit others do.

So, questions:

Where do we go from here? WI polls should be landing, another hunk in NV, and it’s gonna come down to MI or PA.

How much luck will Trump have with the SC? Norms and rules are getting chucked out by the wayside, so...

Is there still a reason to have a little hope?

I’m frustrated, guys. This is just... surreal, like a shitty knockoff Tom Clancy thriller.

steam_sig.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Woke up to my colleagues all panic texting me.
    Damage report?

This discussion has been closed.