As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    I'm shocked someone would be ignorant of the relevance of the Twelfth.

[BBcode world's biggest sarcasm tag.]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

My cynical thought about the Scotland front page being different was that there would be no way that would fly here, suggesting someone knew enough to know that it was too far

However there is a plausible explanation in that the lifting of covid restrictions on the twelfth applies to England and Wales only

japan on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

My cynical thought about the Scotland front page being different was that there would be no way that would fly here, suggesting someone knew enough to know that it was too far

However there is a plausible explanation in that the lifting of covid restrictions on the twelfth applies to England and Wales only

Oh I'm certain the headline came about honestly. Just more a sign of general ignorance.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable

Please continue to be shocked, 12th April?

• Options
    Thing is, Englanders, and especially posh ones, only think about the Glorious Twelfth in relation to grouse shooting (because they're such men - and it is usually men - of the people, you see!) and completely forget - or in fact are utterly ignorant of - any connotations that may have to do with Ireland.

As always, ignorance is no excuse etc etc, especially for editors of national newspapers.

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Please continue to be shocked, 12th April?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelfth

"The Twelfth" is in July, but it's always a flashpoint for sectarian violence, making the decision to use it as a headline underneath images of presently-occurring sectarian violence questionable

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I'm missing something, did the front pages change twice? I've got "Bad Old Days Are Back" and either "Sturgeon happy to take AZ jab", or "Get on the beers!" underneath it.
    Or is it things opening up next monday that is the issue?

[edit]The English version was the glorious 12th before they changed it?
    Despite my post, I thought the comment was about the headline and twitter cutting it off to have 'Sturgeon happy to take' underneath it.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm missing something, did the front pages change twice? I've got "Bad Old Days Are Back" and either "Sturgeon happy to take AZ jab", or "Get on the beers!" underneath it.

The headline was initially "GLORIOUS TWELFTH".

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

The headline was initially "GLORIOUS TWELFTH".

For England and Wales, the Sturgeon headline was for the Scottish edition, which immediately made me suspicious because the "glorious twelfth" headline would have been massively incendiary here but probably less so in E&W

• Options
    In my defence, the cat meme also cut off the bottom story.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Aldo wrote: »
    Shortage of housing in desirable locations?

EDIT

Dutch govt is not going to use AstraZeneca on people under 60 https://nos.nl/artikel/2375923-kabinet-geen-astrazeneca-vaccin-meer-voor-60-minners.html This is after advice from the Gezondheidsraad, the leading advisory council to the Dutch government.

I'm looking forward to getting my jab sometime in 2023. :bigfrown:

People are going absolutely nuts over this. Literally the only group you should even consider not using it in is the under 30s based on current data, and even then that's only if you think protection lasts less than 4 months AND you have a caseload at the level it is in the UK right now AND you disregard any kind of long covid consequences in young people (ie, compare hospitalizations from clots vs hospitalizations from the virus)

Be cautious, be careful, keep reporting events but keep vaccinating people. I guess thank goodness Europe isn't just sitting on millions of doses like the US is.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So shitty
    So in a not at all surprising move, the NEU (The union merger of a bunch of teaching and education unions) decided to vote on a motion to pause all exclusions post lockdown for students with the final goal being to outright ban them. Following on from false data comprised by a small, fringe activist group that called all exclusions racist and in one point decided to literally victim blame students that were sexually assaulted in school.
    the victim can be blamed for having ‘caused’ someone’s exclusion and be ostracised or bullied by the excluded child’s friends and community
    - Quote from the No More Exclusions FAQ.

When this group came to light with what they were trying to do the head of the NEU had to address the situation and distance the union from this group as they were claiming full support of the union that caused upset with the large majority of teachers.

What is particularly sinister to this is all this jumping off the back of recent news about the shocking number of sexual assaults being brushed under the carpet in schools. After over 100 institutions were reported for the abuse Female and Trans students received. This all began when a survivor of sexual assault in school setup a website for other to post and share accounts. The website has currently over 14,000 posts of quite shocking information. With the new motion they essentially want abusers to remain in class and in a lot of cases to remain in the same class as the victim.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56549070

Warning: Sensitive and upsetting information in both links.

https://everyonesinvited.uk

https://twitter.com/bibliogeordie/status/1380206734741024771?s=20

Dr Mary Bousted is the head of the NEU with her quote and the No more Exclusions group are the activist group she was distancing her union from supposedly.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I'm about 3 hours into the audio book that was recommended in the previous page.

It's

It's really good for a layperson like me, American and only vaguely aware of it all.

Well written, using a narrative storytelling construction that's very engaging and easy to follow and get sucked into. Definitely helps that the copy I have is narrated by an Irishman.

It's something that you think must have happened ages ago, long ago, but it wasn't really. Less ten years before I was born.

Just really comes across how quickly this can all change. And what a miracle the GFA must have been.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    So in a not at all surprising move, the NEU (The union merger of a bunch of teaching and education unions) decided to vote on a motion to pause all exclusions post lockdown for students with the final goal being to outright ban them. Following on from false data comprised by a small, fringe activist group that called all exclusions racist and in one point decided to literally victim blame students that were sexually assaulted in school.
    the victim can be blamed for having ‘caused’ someone’s exclusion and be ostracised or bullied by the excluded child’s friends and community

Saying "the victim can experience negative consequences from their peers and community for a punishment deemed as disproportionate by them" is not victim blaming.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Breaking news from BBC: Prince Philip has died. More detail to come shortly, no doubt.

BBC News - Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

Also Graun:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/09/prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-dies

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Prepared to not be allowed to discuss the institutional flaws of the monarchy for a while: Prince Phillip has died.

Twitter account is official account of the Royal Family.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    99's not a bad run at all, we should all be so fortunate, but there's a definite irony that he didn't quite make it long enough to get his telegram from his wife.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    If there was ever going to be one thing that stop the media talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland, it's the British Monarchy...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    If there was ever going to be one thing that stop the media talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland, it's the British Monarchy...

Although it's not like they really started

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

New Thread Title: Today, Royals Pushed the Troubles Far Away

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Judging by how fast all the memorial pieces have shot out the gate I'd say at least a few people have been expecting it a while.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Judging by how fast all the memorial pieces have shot out the gate I'd say at least a few people have been expecting it a while.

Well, yeah. Dude was 99 and not in the best of health for a while. Obituaries and such are often written in advance for people like that.

• Options

Well he was in and out of hospital recently, makes sense. But nobody did a Jade Goody it seems.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    He was 99, they probably wrote them 20 years ago and kept them ready to go.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Papers have been sitting on obits for Phil for years and years.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Burnage wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Saying "the victim can experience negative consequences from their peers and community for a punishment deemed as disproportionate by them" is not victim blaming.

Except when they first came about last year, they said exactly that all form of exclusions even for SV should be banned, when prompted to explain this, they went through the idea of restorative justice and wanted to avoid any form of consequence for an abuser including criminal charges as it 'would be racist' then proceeded to use the victim blame when asked if the abuser should be removed from that classroom as the abuser would be away from friends. Then made the claim that the victim should be removed from the class. They then went on to use that statement above to literally say if a student was excluded for SV then it would be seen the victims fault as a reason to not exclude an abuser.

• Options
    I would expect 99% of the articles were written years ago and then get added to intermittently when significant moments happen. The only thing of substance that was written today was the time / cause of death.

Moments like these are usually well-oiled machines in the British media.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    He did ok, state of him near the end it can't have been much of a life. Still, been a hell of a 12 months.

• Options
    Piers Morgan will now broadly hint that Meghan Markle finished him off with her DISGUSTING BETRAYAL.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    The Guardian did a long read article on the planning that has gone into the days following the Queen's death, for those interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My older relatives are perplexingly sad about Philip dying. Dude was 99 and had the life of a royal consort, that's about as positive a death as you can get.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Piers Morgan will now broadly hint that Meghan Markle finished him off with her DISGUSTING BETRAYAL.

I'm doubting there will be much hinting

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's strange. The Queen and Philipp have been there for so long, before my ( and a lot of people's) parents were born, that even though this has been on the cards for a while it's still a bit of a shock.

It's a bit... unsettling? In a way that's hard to describe.

99 is indeed a fantastic innings for anyone though

101 on
  • Options
    The obits I expected but I'm feeling that the radio station I'm listening to in the car has had today's playlist thrown out in favour of vaguely melancholic acoustic music.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Bogart wrote: »

I'm doubting there will be much hinting

It'll be alright, even without Phillip the monarchy will still have plenty of racism to go around.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    This will obviously result in a fresh wave of warm feelings towards the monarchy but it's at least another step towards Charles becoming King. With that, hopefully the time for a more reasoned debate on the future of the institution.

• Options
    My older relatives are perplexingly sad about Philip dying. Dude was 99 and had the life of a royal consort, that's about as positive a death as you can get.

People who've been a constant presence in the periphery of your life on the news and so forth dying understandably makes people nostalgic and more aware of their own mortality. Older people are also quite a bit more attached to the royal family.

They used to play the national anthem (with footage of the Queen riding a horse at the Trooping of the Colour) after films, and everyone in the cinema would stand. I only became aware of this when we went to a showing of an old print of Meet Me In St Louis and the footage came up after the credits. Without pause everyone else in the audience stood up (everyone else was at least twenty years older than us), leaving us to stand somewhat hesitantly a few moments after, wondering what the hell was going on.

• Options
    The obits I expected but I'm feeling that the radio station I'm listening to in the car has had today's playlist thrown out in favour of vaguely melancholic acoustic music.

Tuned into Absolute Radio and they've just stated thats what they're doing.

It's like there's an PAS standard out there on what to do in the event of a death in the Royal family and every media outlet just follows it.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

It's like there's an PAS standard out there on what to do in the event of a death in the Royal family and every media outlet just follows it.

I was on the radio in my student days, and the presenter pointed out the light that would turn on if a member of the royal family died, and the box with the procedures in underneath

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Yeah after a few rounds of "pre recorded message saying Phillip is both awesome and dead" then *two sad acoustic songs* on a loop I decided I've had enough of radio X today. I'm not even a rah rah republican and I'm not interested in cynically shit talking him before the body is even cold but having it rammed down my throat like this is just cringe. Doubly so in a year when thousands of younger and healthier people are having their lives cut short.

I just find the unspoken assertion that I'm supposed to give a hundred times as many shits about Phillip as any of them kind of patronising. Let the royal family and the people who actually knew him grieve for him in private without all this goulish performative theatre by the media.

This discussion has been closed.