As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

19192949697100

Posts

  • 101101 Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    If there's one thing you can count on the British media to be it's ghoulish.

    Though I think in part this will be driven by protocol around the death of a royal.

    I remember the ones for the queen's death we're reported a few years back and they were extensive

    JazzElldrenGvzbgul
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    edit: oops

    dylman on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    101 wrote: »
    If there's one thing you can count on the British media to be it's ghoulish.

    Though I think in part this will be driven by protocol around the death of a royal.

    I remember the ones for the queen's death we're reported a few years back and they were extensive

    Yeah, when the Queen passes its gonna be seismic. The only thing comparable will be the wall-to-wall coverage when Diana died. And we didn't have the 24-hour news cycle then; or at least not to the degree we have now.

    Sean Bean "brace yourselves" .jpg

    Jazz on
    CasualSolarZilla360ShadowenTicaldfjamCommander ZoomtynicElldren
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Meanwhile in Westminster, ministers open their "shit policies to enact when nobody will notice" folders

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    JazzSnicketysnickCasualautono-wally, erotibot300Gnome-InterruptusmonikerSolarZilla360ShadowenFryAimKayne Red RobeTicaldfjamLord_AsmodeusCommander ZoomtynicMr RayElldren
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    .
    Jazz wrote: »
    101 wrote: »
    If there's one thing you can count on the British media to be it's ghoulish.

    Though I think in part this will be driven by protocol around the death of a royal.

    I remember the ones for the queen's death we're reported a few years back and they were extensive

    Yeah, when the Queen passes its gonna be seismic. The only thing comparable will be the wall-to-wall coverage when Diana died. And we didn't have the 24-hour news cycle then; or at least not to the degree we have now.

    Sean Bean "brace yourselves" .jpg

    I'm expecting hair shirts and self-flagelation in the streets tbh. Like the processionals they hold to commemorate the emperor's "ascension" in wh40k.

    HerculePyroAntinumericTicaldfjam
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Meanwhile in Westminster, ministers open their "shit policies to enact when nobody will notice" folders

    There will be great days to bury bad news.

    Watch out for stuff today.

    autono-wally, erotibot300
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    It's the one time certain sectors of society allow themselves to display any emotion besides Stiff Upper Lip and Blitz Spirit

    And honestly, it's nauseating

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    101CasualShadowen
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    It's the one time certain sectors of society allow themselves to display any emotion besides Stiff Upper Lip and Blitz Spirit

    And honestly, it's nauseating

    The who's who of assholes that congregate around the royals to be 'patriotic' is probably one of the most off-putting things about them, and yeah they're gonna be out in force

    CasualaltidRhesus PositiveJazzShadowenTicaldfjamElldren
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Casual wrote: »
    .
    Jazz wrote: »
    101 wrote: »
    If there's one thing you can count on the British media to be it's ghoulish.

    Though I think in part this will be driven by protocol around the death of a royal.

    I remember the ones for the queen's death we're reported a few years back and they were extensive

    Yeah, when the Queen passes its gonna be seismic. The only thing comparable will be the wall-to-wall coverage when Diana died. And we didn't have the 24-hour news cycle then; or at least not to the degree we have now.

    Sean Bean "brace yourselves" .jpg

    I'm expecting hair shirts and self-flagelation in the streets tbh. Like the processionals they hold to commemorate the emperor's "ascension" in wh40k.

    I will be interested to see what allowances are made for those who want to hold a public vigil for Prince Phillip compared to the... lack of allowances made for those at the Sarah Everard vigil.

    Rhesus PositiveJazzRMS OceanicCasualmonikerShadowenFryAimCommander Zoom
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    .
    Jazz wrote: »
    101 wrote: »
    If there's one thing you can count on the British media to be it's ghoulish.

    Though I think in part this will be driven by protocol around the death of a royal.

    I remember the ones for the queen's death we're reported a few years back and they were extensive

    Yeah, when the Queen passes its gonna be seismic. The only thing comparable will be the wall-to-wall coverage when Diana died. And we didn't have the 24-hour news cycle then; or at least not to the degree we have now.

    Sean Bean "brace yourselves" .jpg

    I'm expecting hair shirts and self-flagelation in the streets tbh. Like the processionals they hold to commemorate the emperor's "ascension" in wh40k.

    I will be interested to see what allowances are made for those who want to hold a public vigil for Prince Phillip compared to the... lack of allowances made for those at the Sarah Everard vigil.

    If they do, it's a pretty easy excuse. "We were wrong about Sarah Everard, we're correcting now."

    But admitting they were wrong.

    JazzRhesus Positive
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Do we get a day off?

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    JazzLeztaCasualRhesus PositiveAlphaRomeroShadowenTicaldfjamNo-Quarter
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    CasualJazzBurnage101RMS OceanicSolarZilla360ShadowenKayne Red RobeKetBraLord_AsmodeusdanxHarry DresdenElldren
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    By that do you mean theyve put the news channel on BBC1 or is it more than that?

    Because they stick the news channel over other stuff with very little provocation these days, I'd be more shocked if it hadn't happened.

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    They'd fucking better still put Line of Duty on come Sunday evening or so help me I'll... I'll... probably wag my finger at them in a most irritated manner!

    Srsly though.

    Snicketysnick
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Jazz wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    They'd fucking better still put Line of Duty on come Sunday evening or so help me I'll... I'll... probably wag my finger at them in a most irritated manner!

    Srsly though.

    Mother of God...

    JazzSnicketysnickShadowenTicaldfjam
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    Just in case there are developments in the story, I guess

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    pezgen wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    They'd fucking better still put Line of Duty on come Sunday evening or so help me I'll... I'll... probably wag my finger at them in a most irritated manner!

    Srsly though.

    Mother of God...

    Now we're sucking diesel, fella.

    SnicketysnickRMS Oceanic
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top
    The last thing they want is to be accused of not honouring the memory of Prince Phillip enough how can we ask the British public to fund this unpatriotic filth oh hey let's look at this license fee again.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Jazz wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    They'd fucking better still put Line of Duty on come Sunday evening or so help me I'll... I'll... probably wag my finger at them in a most irritated manner!

    Srsly though.

    Mother of God...

    Now we're sucking diesel, fella.

    for the benefit of the tape, Jazz is looking pleased

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Jazzpezgen
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    BBC deciding to focus entirely on the developing story as we are now right in the middle of the delicate zombiefication phase and that could really put a spanner in the works...

    Gnome-InterruptusShadowenTicaldfjamLordSolarMachariusRingoHarry Dresden
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Jazz wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    They'd fucking better still put Line of Duty on come Sunday evening or so help me I'll... I'll... probably wag my finger at them in a most irritated manner!

    Srsly though.

    Mother of God...

    Now we're sucking diesel, fella.

    for the benefit of the tape, Jazz is looking pleased

    At 9pm on Sunday evenings, Snicketysnick and Jazz are interested in one thing and one thing only, and that is bent coppers.

    SnicketysnickGiantGeek2020
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    By that do you mean theyve put the news channel on BBC1 or is it more than that?

    Because they stick the news channel over other stuff with very little provocation these days, I'd be more shocked if it hadn't happened.

    BBC 1 and 2 are all Philip, all the time

    Relatedly I read this initially as "chillest" which I thought was more accurate than what it actually says

    SnicketysnickMonwynmonikerJazzSolarMorganVGONG-00Zilla360Gnome-InterruptusAbsalonpezgenCasualShadowenamethystoakFryAimPolaritiemrondeauFencingsaxLord_AsmodeusCommander ZoomRingoDevoutlyApatheticknitdanhonoveretynicCalicaGrudgeElldren
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    Just in case there are developments in the story, I guess

    What developments could there possibly be?

    "Prince Philip rises from his death bed, consumed by a hunger for the flesh of the living" is the only thing that comes to mind, and it doesn't seem likely

    uH3IcEi.png
    Kayne Red RobeLordSolarMachariusKetBraRingo
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    japan wrote: »
    By that do you mean theyve put the news channel on BBC1 or is it more than that?

    Because they stick the news channel over other stuff with very little provocation these days, I'd be more shocked if it hadn't happened.

    BBC 1 and 2 are all Philip, all the time

    Relatedly I read this initially as "chillest" which I thought was more accurate than what it actually says


    That 'by some' is providing most of the ice, skip it and it looks just standard stuff.

  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Casual wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    The obits I expected but I'm feeling that the radio station I'm listening to in the car has had today's playlist thrown out in favour of vaguely melancholic acoustic music.

    Tuned into Absolute Radio and they've just stated thats what they're doing.

    It's like there's an PAS standard out there on what to do in the event of a death in the Royal family and every media outlet just follows it.

    Yeah after a few rounds of "pre recorded message saying Phillip is both awesome and dead" then *two sad acoustic songs* on a loop I decided I've had enough of radio X today. I'm not even a rah rah republican and I'm not interested in cynically shit talking him before the body is even cold but having it rammed down my throat like this is just cringe. Doubly so in a year when thousands of younger and healthier people are having their lives cut short.

    I just find the unspoken assertion that I'm supposed to give a hundred times as many shits about Phillip as any of them kind of patronising. Let the royal family and the people who actually knew him grieve for him in private without all this goulish performative theatre by the media.

    I really don't think you understand the magnitude of what has happened. Boris almost sorta kinda brushed his hair for this.

    Zilla360JazzCasualShadowenTicaldfjamFencingsaxLord_AsmodeusCommander ZoomknitdanElldren
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Thank God the tribute to Sabine Schmitz was already on the other night.

    altidLindautono-wally, erotibot300T-bolt
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Casual wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    The obits I expected but I'm feeling that the radio station I'm listening to in the car has had today's playlist thrown out in favour of vaguely melancholic acoustic music.

    Tuned into Absolute Radio and they've just stated thats what they're doing.

    It's like there's an PAS standard out there on what to do in the event of a death in the Royal family and every media outlet just follows it.

    Yeah after a few rounds of "pre recorded message saying Phillip is both awesome and dead" then *two sad acoustic songs* on a loop I decided I've had enough of radio X today. I'm not even a rah rah republican and I'm not interested in cynically shit talking him before the body is even cold but having it rammed down my throat like this is just cringe. Doubly so in a year when thousands of younger and healthier people are having their lives cut short.

    I just find the unspoken assertion that I'm supposed to give a hundred times as many shits about Phillip as any of them kind of patronising. Let the royal family and the people who actually knew him grieve for him in private without all this goulish performative theatre by the media.

    I really don't think you understand the magnitude of what has happened. Boris almost sorta kinda brushed his hair for this.

    Can I just say that the idea of Boris being PM when the Queen kicks it is a harsh end to a long reign. She has been queen for 70 years and she does not deserve to have Boris be the one to lead the nation through its mourning. I can think of nothing more undignified than seeing that moptop try to do a bad Churchill impersonation to book-end a era.

    You know he is going to make hamfisted references to the empire and the "good old days", probably with some badly veiled racist commentary.

    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    altid101JazzZilla360mrondeauTicaldfjammonikerFencingsaxLord_AsmodeusCommander ZoomMr Ray
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

    What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Casual
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

    What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

    at least a week of the same, maybe a month

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    JazzmonikerFencingsax
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    And still no confirmation of whether we get a day off for all this drama

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Rhesus Positive
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

    What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    SnicketysnickJazzZilla360AegisFencingsaxtynicMr Ray
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    The Queen's death and the events that follow will be a once in a generation event that'll be super fucking bizarre. Like, there is no-one in authority now that had any real experience in what happens so it'll be surreal as fuck to go through as a nation.

    This is pretty much the practice run for it.

    Rhesus PositiveZilla360JazzBurnageSolarGiantGeek2020monikerFencingsaxTastyfishCommander ZoomlonelyahavaNetscapeHarry DresdenMr RayElldren
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    I am surprised how angry effectively shutting down all BBC radio stations had made me

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    CBC Radio in Canada isn't quite 100% coverage of Philip's death, but it's close.

    The 8 a.m. national news break in my province was 10 straight minutes of eulogizing and sad music, followed by the morning show spending a further 15 minutes on the subject.

    I believe shows across the country will be pre-empted in an hour for further coverage.

    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    It's all so utterly exhausting.

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

    What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

    Ten thousand wailing widows will parade past Westminster Abbey screeching despair at the sky, followed by every media journalist performatively tearing their clothes off and writhing in agony live on air. Buckingham Palace will be flattened and replaced with a four kilometre high pyramid to contain the Golden Throne which she shall rule from in perpetuity as the Forever Queen. A selection of one hundred of her most devoted servants will be afforded the honour of being buried alive in the pyramid to continue their service to her in Valhalla. Every year until the end of time devoted acolytes will be sacrificed atop the pyramid to maintain the soul beacon so that the Queens vigil over the British people may never end.

    Also Line of Duty will be cancelled that day for news coverage.

    Casual on
    LindpezgenHerculePyroaltidZilla360autono-wally, erotibot300JazzAimzepherinSolarRhesus PositiveAldoTicaldfjamKayne Red RobemonikerFencingsaxBrovid HasselsmofLord_AsmodeusAntinumericLordSolarMachariusMartini_PhilosopherNo-QuarterCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptushonovereHarry DresdenElldren
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Casual wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

    That seems over the top

    It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

    What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

    Ten thousand wailing widows will parade past Westminster Abbey screeching despair at the sky, followed by every media journalist performatively tearing their clothes off and writing in agony live on air. Buckingham palace will be flattened and replaced with a four kilometre high pyramid to contain the Golden Throne which she shall rule from in perpetuity as the Forever Queen. A selection of one hundred of her most devoted servants will be afforded the honour of being buried alive in the pyramid to continue their service to her in Valhalla. Every year until the end of time devoted acolytes will be sacrificed atop the pyramid to maintain the soul beacon so that the Queens vigil over the British people may never end.

    Also Line of Duty will be cancelled that day for news coverage.

    And the Daily Mail will say that Meghan was far too emotional/nowhere near emotional enough [delete as applicable]

    amethystoakJazzCasualZilla360zepherinRhesus PositiveTicaldfjamGiantGeek2020monikerFencingsaxSporkAndrewLord_AsmodeusMartini_PhilosopherSatanic JesusGnome-InterruptusElldren
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I am surprised how angry effectively shutting down all BBC radio stations had made me

    Cbeebies radio still keeping it real.

    BethrynZilla360Jazz101zepherinRhesus PositiveAldopezgenSnicketysnickSporkAndrewLord_AsmodeusShadowenMartini_PhilosopherSatanic JesusElldren
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    What a ridiculous over reaction this all is. Sure dedicate one TV and one Radio channel to it for the people who are moved by the man passing, but this kind of enforced blanket coverage is disconcertingly odd. I maintain my right to be entirely indifferent to this news beyond the brief sympathy I’d have for the family of anyone who had passed on of natural causes at a significantly advanced age.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    zepherinMorganVZilla360ShadowenGnome-Interruptus
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    I think Meghan is heavily pregnant and so has an excellent reason for not attending.

    zepherinRMS OceanicJazzZilla360Lord_AsmodeusShadowenMartini_PhilosopherHarry DresdenElldren
This discussion has been closed.