As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comfort [MOVIE] Thread

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I'm watching LOGAN LUCKY tonight, and I'm trying to figure out why I've never watched this movie before - it's great!

Logan Lucky is delightful and hearing its name is making me wanna watch it for the third time so I guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So, here's my take on Magneto with regards to his character said to become just like the Nazis of his past.

I don't really believe that.

I'm going off of the films primarily but as opposed to the Nazis who were acting out of disgust and rage, the impression I have always got from Magneto (the older version of him) is he's almost exclusively motivated by fear. He's a victim of immense trauma who would do anything to never allow or return to that suffering again.

In the first X-Men film his plan is to convert humanity into mutants as to try to eliminate the gateway for discrimination (it isn't perfect logic, but its his plan).

In the second movie, to my memory, he's a prisoner who upon being released discovers that humans have developed a plan to psychically murder all mutants. He twists this on them, but that has always felt like a reaction upon learning of it (but this could be argued that it was always his plan to reverse it as he gave Stryker the knowledge and also because I have no idea why Magneto really agrees to go rescue the kids, Cyclops, & Xavier)

In the third movie he is exclusively motivated as a reaction to humanity developing "the Cure."

So when proposing Magneto as a reflection of the Nazis... I don't think he's quite there. I think he's a mutant supremist and a bigot (and other vile things) but he's always appeared to be a reactive force in his world. He's always working from a place of fear for his people, and I think that distinction is important for such conversations.

I don't think there's a lot to be gained from understanding the nuances between different flavors of Nazi, nor do I think it's even correct to say that the Nazi's themselves weren't motivated by fear.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Logan Lucky makes a great double feature with Knives Out

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm certainly happy to continue this line of discourse.

And I'm also equally happy dropping it!

But I do ultimately think that saying Magneto, as presented cinematically, becomes a Nazi in action/ideology is an easy & lazy read of the character.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight I watched The Wolverine.

That's a solid movie.

The first 90 minutes are fantastic.

Shame that the last 30 minutes veer right into bonkers town though.

But, I'll take it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm returning to the podium to say that I liked Tenet more than WW84 okay now I'm done no further questions

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm returning to the podium to say that I liked Tenet more than WW84 okay now I'm done no further questions

i will never watch tenet and i hated wonder woman 84 but i still wanna pounce on this take

i don't know what that means about me, as a person

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I had a post in the holiday forum complaining about rental movie prices, so I will point out now that Tenet is $6 to rent on at least one service (Xbox). So DEFINITELY skip those $20 or $30 launch rental prices if you have entertainment alternatives.

• Options
    It's also available to rent from Redbox, which is even cheaper!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

That's a solid movie.

But, I'll take it.

Watching Wolverine kill tons of ninjas is a lot of fun, turns out

You watched the unrated version right?

• Options
    i love the third act of the wolverine

it does not mesh with the preceding movie even a little bit

but it's exactly my kind of goofy bullshit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like both of the movies contained within The Wolverine and would happily watch either one for a full runtime

• Options

That's a solid movie.

But, I'll take it.
    Maddoc wrote: »

That's a solid movie.

But, I'll take it.

Watching Wolverine kill tons of ninjas is a lot of fun, turns out

You watched the unrated version right?

Nope!

I got whatever was on Disney+

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The theatrical version omits the ninja getting run over by a snow blower and is therefore a measurably worse movie

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Finally got around to Uncut Gems.

That was exhausting.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Nolan is a dumb, irresponsible piece of shit for trying that whole ‘watch it in the cinema’ thing in the middle of a plague.

Tenet was deeply stupid and pseudo-intellectual. I was warned by all of you on how needlessly complicated it was, so I went in having read two explainers. I shut my brain off and watched the shooty mans on my totally sweet home theatre setup. It wasn’t the worst way to spend a Saturday afternoon hangover

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I keep thinking about Wonder Woman and I keep getting annoyed at how people making it thought it was a good plan to begin with.

It feels like they decided what their 14 main themes of the move were, who the bad guys were and then forced the entire plot to fit within it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I failed to stop thinking about Tenet. If you guys didn't notice by now I am extremely easy going about movies and am generally positive about pretty much every one I see. Tenet is just so fucking boring and a waste of a concept. It actually makes me retroactively hate Nolan movies with how much I didn't like it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I keep thinking about Wonder Woman and I keep getting annoyed at how people making it thought it was a good plan to begin with.

It feels like they decided what their 14 main themes of the move were, who the bad guys were and then forced the entire plot to fit within it.

I feel like Jenkins fell into the trap of thinking everything she filmed was too good to cut and lost the narrative in the editing room. Like there is a good movie in there but you would have to trim 30 to 45 minutes of what we got to find it.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Speaking of the X-Men movie franchise...

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just watched Harley Quinn aka BoP. It was fun.

I may have laughed way too hard at Sionis' last moment in the film.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I thought Tenet was just ok. It's certainly not gods gift to cinema Nolan seems to think it is. And I saw nothing in it to justify his "must only be seen in a theater" attitude. The sound mix for dialog was as bad as everyone said. And the time stuff was not nearly as complex or as clever as I'd heard. Now I'm sure it was a lot of hard, technical work to do it all, but the plot for the most part doesn't make particularly interesting use of it. Which is unfortunate, since it is a fascinating take on the time travel concept.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Opened Film Twitter and saw Darren Aronofsky is making a movie about a 600-pound man with mental illness issues.

0r1fggjwst01.jpeg

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Read the room, Darren.

• Options
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Wow I forgot about Full Throttle

That game fucking rips

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

I feel like Jenkins fell into the trap of thinking everything she filmed was too good to cut and lost the narrative in the editing room. Like there is a good movie in there but you would have to trim 30 to 45 minutes of what we got to find it.

I dunno if that’s even the case, there are good individual moments sure, but I really don’t think there is a cohesive story there.
    Like the main theme was that lying is bad, which is true. But there wasn't really any lying involved in the movie! He was pretty upfront that he was going to grant everyone's wishes, and then he did that. You could argue that there was duplicity going on with his hidden agenda where he took something, but I'm not sure with the "truth will set you free" was a theme of the movie at all!

Even in the opening scene, Diana didn't lie, she cheated! That doesn't mean it is a good thing, but it is a very different thing.

• Options
    duncan jones will not stop until every person alive realizes moon was a fluke

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Speaking of Duncan Jones, I can recommend his movie "Mute" on Netflix. It's an odd collection of elements. It's about a mute Amish bartender searching for his missing girlfriend among Berlin's future criminal underworld of Russian gangsters and prostitution. Paul Rudd plays a sort of evil AWOL version of Trapper John from M.A.S.H. And it explicitly takes place at the same time in the future as Moon, so you'll notice the easter egg references if you've seen that. I passed it over for a long time because the Netflix description is awful for what the movie is.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just watched Harley Quinn aka BoP. It was fun.

I may have laughed way too hard at Sionis' last moment in the film.

here were my big laughs in BoP

1) the reveal of Montoya's shirt
    2) mcgregor's delivery of "umGAmi tribe"
    3) sionis' end

• Options
    honestly I'd rather see Duncan Jones make another good movie than have him give up, he seems like a nice guy

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Speaking of Duncan Jones, I can recommend his movie "Mute" on Netflix. It's an odd collection of elements. It's about a mute Amish bartender searching for his missing girlfriend among Berlin's future criminal underworld of Russian gangsters and prostitution. Paul Rudd plays a sort of evil AWOL version of Trapper John from M.A.S.H. And it explicitly takes place at the same time in the future as Moon, so you'll notice the easter egg references if you've seen that. I passed it over for a long time because the Netflix description is awful for what the movie is.

Duncan, is that you?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I feel honored just to be in the same thread as the one person who liked Mute.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    duncan jones will not stop until every person alive realizes moon was a fluke

I thought source code was alright, but yeah it was nowhere near the level of moon.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Warcraft is not without its charms but yeah I wouldn’t call it good

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    the thing is I will continually give Duncan Jones more chances because he seems like a nice guy who is trying to do interesting stuff

he's failed several times now, but hey we'll all live if a studio is bilked out of a couple more million dollars

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Warcraft is not without its charms but yeah I wouldn’t call it good

I love the Warcraft movie. It doesn’t give a shit, it’s Warcraft as fuck.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I thought really thought mute would just totally kill my desire for more Duncan Jones movies. Just what a terrific succession of bad decisions that movie is (other than Paul Rudd, who I loved)

But nope I just love moon too much, I’ll be there for any Duncan Jones original, and maybe even a licensed movie if he ever does a property I care about

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Source Code has its charms but Mute is completely soulless and boring.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Duncan Jones is a nice man and also Moon was absolutely a happy accident

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.